shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific CS items/stones you wish you had bought but didn't

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I hear you! So sorry - those are beautiful!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hesitated on tanzanite and star sapphire from master cut gems that I was happy/regretful to see another pser snap up....i haven't used all of the first round of stones I'd purchased and hesitated to spend the money but haven't seen anything as nice at those prices since....but I remind myself there are many more things I am happy I *didn't* buy than there are regrets at letting things go :D

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have ONE regret: a positively gorgeous Mahenge cab spinel offered on LoupeTroop by @LisaRN . I didn't have the funds at the time and now that I do, I can't find anything even close to its size and beauty.:cry2: :wall: Whoever has it, please keep me in mind if you ever sell! =)2

Candice

Shiny_Rock
I still think about this 5 carat heart shaped emerald ring, bezel set in yellow gold. it wa sbeing sold for $1800 on kijiji (canadian craigslist) and it was custom made for his granddaughter who didn't like it. it was glowy and a beautiful mid to dark green but vibrant in colour. I waited and waited....and then it sold :(
I also regret missing out on this jelly opal ring I saw at Birks jewellers- it was on sale but still expensive and I hesitated. I still think about these two pieces quite often!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s quite the opposite for me, there are many germs I wish I hadn’t purchased, but I did. Unfortunately, all the ones that I wish I purchased were way out of my price range. For example, I saw the most gorgeous cushion cut huge Afghan mint tourmaline at a gem show. I can’t stop thinking about it, even after all these years. I was afraid to ask the price. Sigh!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A beautiful, deep, green paraiba from the guy who brought them to this country. It was about 15 years ago. The stone was perfect, stunning and like pics in gem books. It was over 3 carats and only $12,000. My husband gave me the “hell to the no” look.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not quite the same but years ago I stupidly traded away these gorgeous beauties with a local jeweler in exchange for some bench work. I sincerely regret it and she definitely got the better deal!!! :cry2:

Top - lavender spinel
Middle - red spinel
Bottom - apatite
Cushion Spinel.2jpg.jpg
red_spinel_001.jpg
_24319.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not quite the same but years ago I stupidly traded away these gorgeous beauties with a local jeweler in exchange for some bench work. I sincerely regret it and she definitely got the better deal!!! :cry2:

Top - lavender spinel
Middle - red spinel
Bottom - apatite
Cushion Spinel.2jpg.jpg
red_spinel_001.jpg
_24319.jpg

Aww I'm sorry but don't be too upset. There are more gorgeous gemstones in your future.:appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a number.
Back in the 90's? a pair of boulder opal earrings. They were beautiful opals and comparatively inexpensive because that was right when the mine was booming.
A winza ruby on ebay. Beautiful round cut for $500. I didn't really have the spare monies but to get a similar ruby now (it was untreated), well out of my price range.
I wish I got a bigger tsavorite garnet when they seemed to be a little less expensive.
Blue sapphires when they were cheap!
I also kind of wish I held onto the emerald ring I got made. At some point I will make myself another "green" stone ring. Right now leaning towards tsavorite, but also demantoid, mali (andradite/grossular) garnet, or a special emerald. My preference is to have a ring with a stone on the larger size (closer to 2 carats), and all those stones rapidly increase in cost past 1, 1.5 carats or so, so this is a daydream at this point.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hesitated on tanzanite and star sapphire from master cut gems that I was happy/regretful to see another pser snap up....i haven't used all of the first round of stones I'd purchased and hesitated to spend the money but haven't seen anything as nice at those prices since....but I remind myself there are many more things I am happy I *didn't* buy than there are regrets at letting things go :D

@mastercutgems i didn't know you were one here! Here are a couple of things I made so far with your stones! <3

20181106_112403_HDR-1.jpg

PSX_20180911_112743.jpg

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@mastercutgems i didn't know you were one here! Here are a couple of things I made so far with your stones! <3

20181106_112403_HDR-1.jpg

PSX_20180911_112743.jpg
Thank you bludiva :wavey:

It is so very nice to see some of my work made into such lovely jewelry... I do not come here much as I have learned it is a forum for the consumer to hash out their likes and dislikes on gems, styles, etc. but from time-to-time i like to see what is going on with many of the kind people i have met here.

I am so honored for so many to have said nice things about Rachelle and I. We are thankful and very blessed.

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master gem Cutter
#96CGE42

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s quite the opposite for me, there are many germs I wish I hadn’t purchased, but I did. Unfortunately, all the ones that I wish I purchased were way out of my price range.

+1

Although happy with most of my purchases, I find it difficult to return things that I should (especially when it's a small independent vendor with great service and reasonable pricing). On the flip side, I also have a strict $ limit on what I will spend on any one piece of jewelry for fear that once I cross over the line, it will open a whole new can of worms (i.e. desire to upgrade everything).

As far as anything that "gets away", I figure that if I REALLY wanted it, I wouldn't have hesitated...while momentarily disappointed, I tell myself that "it wasn't meant to be" and that there will always be something else out there that will catch my attention.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
I didnt pass on an imperial topaz but my mom one had in a modern cut. It always looked so interesting. Regretfully it were lost during last illness. Miss a pad colored spinel i bought from now defunct spinel source but it didn't pop on my hand so it was the right thing to let it give joy to another. I finally decided to enquire into a beautiful but ginormous orange tourm and asked for pics. Thats when Brad realised he sold it. Sad face here. My ever patient dh even cut out a paper ring in the dimensions and i wore it all day! Justified, in my mind, 20 carats isnt too big.

Attachments

• Sep15OTourmalineI.gif
    Sep15OTourmalineI.gif
    106.1 KB · Views: 58

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@GliderPoss,
I don’t know about how easy it would be to replace the spinels, but apatite, although soft, is a sleeper gem right now. It’s incredibly beautiful and reasonably priced. I think you can find another.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
would it make everyone feel better or worse to start a thread about pieces you bought but wish you didn't? or maybe pieces you almost bought but are glad you resisted temptation! :mrgreen2::lol-2:

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
would it make everyone feel better or worse to start a thread about pieces you bought but wish you didn't? or maybe pieces you almost bought but are glad you resisted temptation! :mrgreen2::lol-2:

Create it and see what happens :mrgreen:

This opal belongs here as well (the big one) It was transparent and had excellent color play, just what I wanted. The price was too much and I didn't want to do the layaway. I figured, if I can't afford it now and put it on layaway, how can I afford the other things I want? Later on I found how ridiculously generous the layaway plan was, but then it was already sold. I comfort myself knowing white opals are abundant, and there will always be another one like it (I hope). 20190407_123957.jpg 20190407_123725.jpg 20190407_123655.jpg 20190407_123644.jpg

And now that T L mentioned Apatites are sleepers... this thing was BIG and glowing!
20190407_120354.jpg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Shijitake,
May I ask how many carats the opal was?

This apatite, I think around 2 to 3 carats was really inexpensive. I bought it from a Thai dealer on eBay. Beware of quartz simulants. It is a brittle stone, but the color is really nice. It’s more suited to pendants. I have a sixty pointer the color of that deep blue one above. Yes, photos don’t do that color justice.

IMG_6430.JPG

Last edited:

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
I think it was a little over 12 carats. That one's really pretty! When the vendor comes around next year I'm going to snag it and a few other things. I swore I'd come back with much more money next year.

Reactions: T L

voce

Ideal_Rock
I had my eyes on that one too. But I had priorities :???:
This was recently? :eek2:
I guess I miss stuff when I don't go to LT every day :silenced:. I never even saw this for sale!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I miss stuff when I don't go to LT every day :silenced:. I never even saw this for sale!
Not too recent. I saved it to my phone in October of last year. Not sure how long it was up.

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock

Same as Mrs Strizzle. Sometime in the fall

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I really regret that I did not buy one of the tsavorites cut by Gene in my "past" gem life (like 8 years ago). I so wanted it, I could afford it, but I just thought I should not spend money like that. Now I've started looking again and have seen a few; none is close to the medium-tone bluish green color I am after. :(2

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
When Richard Wise was retiring, he had a half-price sale, which meant that if I had emptied my savings and used some credit, I could almost have afforded a really red ruby of substantial size with all the bells and whistles. I think this is the photo I saved. And of course now I wish I had done it. 1037.1.jpg

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
ECD36FCD-39F9-491C-84B9-AD5D58436676.jpeg
Oh I’ve got a good one. I love some eBay auctions and bid on some little something at Dover pretty much every week. Last week I was bidding on a little Cartier sapphire ring, signed with papers. It was a little petite for my liking, but oh well. While I was waiting for the auction to wind down, I had a glass of wine and zonked out on the couch. When I woke up, it was three hours later and I lost by $2. When am I ever going to run across another Cartier sapphire for less than $800?? Never!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results