shape
carat
color
clarity

Source for unique/unusual crosses?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
Hey all! I''ve always loved crosses - and I''m always on the hunt for a new piece! Care to share any websites that have nice pieces for sale?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I love Konstantino designs. I''ve got a great sterling and 18k gold with a cab aqua that is gorgeous! Found it on ebay!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Funny, I have the opposite problem. I have several crosses that came with sets of antique jewelry, but I''m not Christian, and my Christian friends either don''t wear crosses or don''t share my taste in jewelry. I need a Christian friend who likes unusual/unique crosses.

Mine come from ebay, mostly.

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard the other day. I was at a jewelry booth at an antiques show, and a woman came in with her daughter. The jeweler greeted her warmly--she was clearly a good customer he knew well. The woman said to her daughter, "This is the pin I was telling you about that I was thinking of buying."

The daughter said, "You mean the one with the plus signs?"

The woman said, "Yes, the one with the--what would you call them? Not exactly plus signs."

The jeweler said, "No, they''re more Maltese...Maltese, um... forms."

He clearly meant "Maltese crosses," but I expect he knew the family were Jewish or something--not Christian, anyway--and he thought if he said "Maltese crosses" he would lose the sale.

I''m not sure whether they bought the brooch. They were still looking at it when I left. It was very pretty.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
James Avery and Jeep Collins have the largest collection I know of in original artisan jewelry. These will be SS, or yellow gold pieces.

Costume jewelry: The Vatican Library collection has some very well done pieces that won't scream "Fake!"
9.gif

Fine jewelry: I have seen quite a few crosses on Amazon.com's website. Temple St. Clair does some unusual crosses; and there are a few other great jewelry artists on ylang23.com that I think might just have some . . . . Jude Frances is one. And Mizuki. Definitely check out ylang23.com.

I love unusual crosses myself; I'm wearing some Barse turquoise and silver cross earrings today. I keep collecting them in various forms too.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite is a Huguenot cross (photo below). I have one that I got from an artisan in South Carolina that I wear quite often. A couple of branches of my mother's family were Huguenots, so it carries a lot of meaning for me.

One of my favorite designers, Mignon Faget, has also done a number of crosses. www.mignonfaget.com

frenchhueg115173.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find a local jeweler who carries Jude Frances jewelry. (Their website is only OK - their line has LOTS of crosses that don't show there) Their stuff is just gorgeous!!

ETA - Oops! Didn't see that Jude Frances had already been recommended. But there ya go - it's doubly gorgeous!
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/3/2009 7:17:42 PM
Author: HollyS

and there are a few other great jewelry artists on ylang23.com that I think might just have some . . . . Jude Frances is one. And Mizuki. Definitely check out ylang23.com.

That was a great lead, Holly! One artist I found on that site besides the ones you listed above who is definitely worth a mention is Lucie Campbell (of whom I had never heard before I saw her work today). Gorgeous! Thanks for the temptation!

Lucie Campbell's Crosses

Deborah
34.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Do a search on Pearlman''s site. "Cross"; big yield. They also have a religious jewellery section and some interesting pieces there.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/3/2009 9:25:23 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Do a search on Pearlman''s site. ''Cross''; big yield.

Why do I listen to you? Now I want this and if I save for this I cannot save for a Links of London pendant or a pair of ruby Chopard Happy Diamond earrings or Alex Sepkus orchard earrings. The list of things I cannot save for is getting to be very long indeed! You are not only and enabler...you are an enabler who keeps me from realizing any of the dreams I have!

Deb, very greedy
34.gif

GurhanCircleCrossPendant.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gurhan Cross In Circle

Here is a link to the page on Pearlman''s website, which shows this to be one of Gurhan''s creations (big surprise).

Deb
34.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 9:02:26 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
2/3/2009 7:17:42 PM
Author: HollyS

and there are a few other great jewelry artists on ylang23.com that I think might just have some . . . . Jude Frances is one. And Mizuki. Definitely check out ylang23.com.

That was a great lead, Holly! One artist I found on that site besides the ones you listed above who is definitely worth a mention is Lucie Campbell (of whom I had never heard before I saw her work today). Gorgeous! Thanks for the temptation!

Lucie Campbell''s Crosses

Deborah
34.gif
I absolutely love Lucie Campbell''s jewelry! She has some wonderful engagement settings, too! Very classic, yet unique mountings.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/3/2009 10:33:19 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Deb--you read my mind; I was just going to post this very piece!

Sharon, You can post it in our gold thread. After all, somebody has to! The gold thread would be incomplete without it! And while you''re at it, how about posting a photo in our gold thread of that cross that Pearlman''s had in the Closeout section...the one where the cross is carved out and the yellow gold is what is visible! That is just gorgeous!!!

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the cross that I was referring to above, the one that is hollowed out of 18K yellow gold.

Deborah
34.gif

18KRobertLeeMorrisCross.jpg

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
YOu all are the best!

I have to LOL, THIS
rose-cut Lucie Cambell cross has lived in my "lust" folder for a long time now, I will be sad to see the day it eventually sells from ylang23''s site and I can''t pretend that I, myself, will purchase it some day!

It actually inspired a semi-obsessive desire in me to own a rose-cut diamond cross, but I''ve never managed to find any others that weren''t large/bulky pieces that were NMS
5.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/7/2009 4:42:02 PM
Author: GossamerAngel

YOu all are the best!

I have to LOL, THIS
rose-cut Lucie Cambell cross has lived in my 'lust' folder for a long time now, I will be sad to see the day it eventually sells from ylang23's site and I can't pretend that I, myself, will purchase it some day!
Don't worry, GossamerAngel. I am sure there are a few more of those crosses somewhere if the one ylang has sells ;-). You can start a list like mine of the designer pieces ranging from $2,000 to $4,000 (or whatever) that you would like to pick up when you save the money.... Then you can keep finding new pieces that you think you would prefer so that you can never quite save for the other pieces.

In my case, the saving I planned to do got hijacked because I forgot I had to make a $1,000 payment into my daughter's 529 college account...even though the darned thing keeps losing buckets of money!!! (It loses what I thought it had earned over the past 16 years, but at least it hasn't lost the principal I put into it!)

Deborah
34.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I designed my own. I don't know if I'll ask someone to make it up for me in the near future...or ever. But I now know what I would like in an Orthodox cross. Since I don't have a scanner (well, I do, but it's not hooked up to scan), I'll have to describe it in words.

It's a St. Andrew Cross-an Orthodox Cross- made with simple, square lines. Maybe I'll have to give you some illustrations to show what I mean, after all. In fact, maybe I should start a thread for this? Nah! It's not a real project!

So anyway, the cross has simple, square lines...it is not an ornate cross. But it is made of 24K gold, which is soft. One of the things craftsman/jewelers often do with 24K gold is to make swirls. So I would like swirls of soft gold on the cross. On the long rectangular board pieces, they will be more lines. Where the boards intersect-in two places-there will be the characteristic round swirls one often sees in Anatolian gold. (I am currently wearing sterling silver earrings that I bought on Etsy-with the enabling of Pricescopers-and asked the vendor to plate in 24K gold that are made in that swirl pattern.)

Have I described this cross enough for anyone to envision it?

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These spirals are the type which I attempted to describe, the type which are made in both sterling silver and in 24K gold.

Deborah
34.gif

GoldSpirals.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results