color
clarity

Someone's funny little bit of fun

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you DK
I think its the cut
Even if its glass im going to get it set into a cheap silver pendent setting - with the back to the front just because it is so pretty

And sentimental.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
And sentimental.

DK :))

Yes it that i rediscovered it at a sad time (just after Tibby died) so yes very sentimental to me

But neither mum or my sister had put any value on it - it was kind of discarded in this terrible cork jewley box i had made mun in woodwork in 1984
I mean the ring looked liked tarnished brass, i had left it in that box for 4 years too? thinking it was costume

I do feel sorry for the brooch though
Grandma would have worn it
but i never saw mum wear a brooch
We were given most of grandma's brooches to play with

perhaps mum had recognized the pearl brooch was too nice for us kids to wreck?

I kind of think the ring was a chance find - the beach maybe ? But was too big to wear and not perceived as anything but junk jewlery
I don't think my mother would have ever rocked a thumb ring :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Bron357 was right on the money
the rose gold ring was set with glass

im not sure what to do now because i do love the setting and wanted to reuse it but on the phone the jewler said it was very worn down

but when i looked through my loup the stone (now known as glass) it looked in such good condition it just didnt look like it had been worn much at all to me

i still love the glass stone and would ideally still like to have it set in a basic silver setting just as a piece of fashion jewlery with an interesting story

looking forward to picking up the pearl brooch come pendant though

kind of forgot about it or only remembered at 2am so it will be nice to have it home again

im picking it up next week
should be today but its raining and its quite a walk from the bus stop

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the ring @Daisys and Diamonds. These vintage "glass" stone rings are usually made with lead glass which can be extremely durable. I have one passed on from my husband's grandmother and like yours, it has multiple tiny claws which look very attractive. It seems more than a coincidence that the ring was found during this stressful time and meant to bring you comfort.

hmmmm
so lead glass is very durable

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 was right on the money
the rose gold ring was set with glass

im not sure what to do now because i do love the setting and wanted to reuse it but on the phone the jewler said it was very worn down

but when i looked through my loup the stone (now known as glass) it looked in such good condition it just didnt look like it had been worn much at all to me

i still love the glass stone and would ideally still like to have it set in a basic silver setting just as a piece of fashion jewlery with an interesting story

looking forward to picking up the pearl brooch come pendant though

kind of forgot about it or only remembered at 2am so it will be nice to have it home again

im picking it up next week
should be today but its raining and its quite a walk from the bus stop

Well that is disappointing about the setting. Did they elaborate? Are there a number of prongs that need to be reworked? Or was there something about the setting in particular that they think is worn? From the pictures it looks like a sturdy setting as far as the shank and head. Is there another jeweler that you could get a second opinion?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well that is disappointing about the setting. Did they elaborate? Are there a number of prongs that need to be reworked? Or was there something about the setting in particular that they think is worn? From the pictures it looks like a sturdy setting as far as the shank and head. Is there another jeweler that you could get a second opinion?

when i get it back ill post more pictures
i wonder if its because its rose gold ?
i will ask plenty of pictures
no other jewler in this town that would have a bench

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
when i get it back ill post more pictures
i wonder if its because its rose gold ?
i will ask plenty of pictures
no other jewler in this town that would have a bench

Well to me, the sentimental value sometimes over rides economic considerations. They are likely only looking at the cost of repair vs cost of buying new. I, personally, also consider sentimental value as well as the satisfaction gained in fixing up an older piece to bring it back to its original beauty.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Adore the setting. It's absolutely beautiful. Sorry to hear your plan to change the center isn't working out. For what it's worth, it's beautiful as is and neutral enough to get lots of use out of.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It's just lovely and a wonderful style. It suits you and your romantic nature. Well done finding it and polishing! I hope you wear it with absolute joy :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
went into the jewler today
the stone is glass
but i still really like it so im having it set into a simple silver bezel pendent and back to front because i love the cut from the back

the prongs on the ring setting are indeed very warn down on one side
i can feel it
getting a quote for retipping
also going to get them to measure the stone to help me finding a new stone to fit
im still keen on a smokey quartz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results