shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
wow, where is my winning lottery ticket... :roll:

I asked the emerald seller, says she's still working out the pricing lol so if I had to guess, probs more expensive than the pad.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss the days when this thread started when it was mostly for posting stones people might actually be buying... affordable stones that others were passing on for whatever reason, rather than expensive eye candy. I think there should be a separate thread for more, uh, “aspirational” stones, and keep this one for stones sub $5k and probably even sub $1-2k.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I miss the days when this thread started when it was mostly for posting stones people might actually be buying... affordable stones that others were passing on for whatever reason, rather than expensive eye candy. I think there should be a separate thread for more, uh, “aspirational” stones, and keep this one for stones sub $5k and probably even sub $1-2k.
A "if I won the lottery" thread?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe more than two categories?

I posted, @ # 4170, the link to Einhorning Jewelry's listing on LoupeTroop for an unheated ruby with AGL gem brief because we were seeing a fair number of inquiries from people looking for a ruby. (My post also solicited feedback on the posting since I don't pay a great deal of attention to rubies.) $8500 (which included another report from a lab of the buyer's choosing) is more than I've ever spent on a stone, but not out of line (I don't think) for prospective buyers who aren't expecting to snag a steal. So that's why I thought flagging the listing here could be useful; do you think I should have made it the subject of its own, stand-alone thread?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe more than two categories?

I posted, @ # 4170, the link to Einhorning Jewelry's listing on LoupeTroop for an unheated ruby with AGL gem brief because we were seeing a fair number of inquiries from people looking for a ruby. (My post also solicited feedback on the posting since I don't pay a great deal of attention to rubies.) $8500 (which included another report from a lab of the buyer's choosing) is more than I've ever spent on a stone, but not out of line (I don't think) for prospective buyers who aren't expecting to snag a steal. So that's why I thought flagging the listing here could be useful; do you think I should have made it the subject of its own, stand-alone thread?

Things people have been looking specifically for I can understand - and that post was still under $10k so, like, conceivably more people could buy it than stones that are $30k or $100k or something... I just don't want to see this thread become all rocks that only a couple people on the forum could even conceivably afford when in my mind "somebody's gotta buy this stone" conveys to me either a good deal, a reasonable/good price on a rare thing or thing a lot of people are looking for(I'd say the ruby falls into this category), or a cheap price on a nice-enough stone. In other words... something you are posting EXPECTING that someone here might both want and be able to buy it... enabling your fellow pretty rock lovers to buy more things so you can look at more pictures of them.

This wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it's just that I've seen the thread trending more and more towards basically totally unaffordable stones that none of us are going to be buying and I think that's not the purpose of it. idk maybe I'm the only one who is annoyed by this.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this thread was first started in the spirit of posting gemstones that had very desirable characteristics - close to trade ideal. Then it morphed into posting stones that we thought were great for whatever reason, which included deals on stones that are farther away from trade ideal standard.

Personally, I like this thread whichever way it goes. I appreciate seeing a wonderful gemstone that is amazing, even if it is expensive. I also like seeing gemstones that are beautiful, not trade ideal but being sold at a great price.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My full understanding was this thread is about fabulous gems, not about affordable gems (affordable for you may not be for me KWIM) I post stuff that I think is fabulous period. who cares if it cost more than my house sometimes:cry2::roll2::lol-2::P2 but then again, I post things in the more affordable realm too. my last post in this thread isn't bad for what you get, but I still can't "afford" it right now (especially considering I'm going to upgrade my studs!) but its truly fabulous. If I didn't give a crap about having updated studs I probably would just blow the money. (but then again considering I have 3 boxes of unset gemstones.....:naughty:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this thread was first started in the spirit of posting gemstones that had very desirable characteristics - close to trade ideal. Then it morphed into posting stones that we thought were great for whatever reason, which included deals on stones that are farther away from trade ideal standard.

Personally, I like this thread whichever way it goes. I appreciate seeing a wonderful gemstone that is amazing, even if it is expensive. I also like seeing gemstones that are beautiful, not trade ideal but being sold at a great price.
I thought it was for posting gems that we thought we’re worth obtaining, no matter the reason. I never expected this to be a trade ideal thread.

My only hope with this thread, as this is a consumer forum, is that the pieces posted are fairly priced.

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
My full understanding was this thread is about fabulous gems, not about affordable gems [...]

I had understood that this thread was devoted to gems that were a good value...a good combination of quality and price. This doesn't necessarily mean affordable—one stone could be a good value at $150, while another is a good value at $15,000—but it could be.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Official rules of the thread, so to speak, from the original post:

upload_2019-9-17_10-0-16.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had understood that this thread was devoted to gems that were a good value...a good combination of quality and price. This doesn't necessarily mean affordable—one stone could be a good value at $150, while another is a good value at $15,000—but it could be.

Concede this totally. I think that value for the money can be all over the place, given the thread started in 2012, and the cost of certain stones have gone through the roof. Also, I think most people have stayed true to the intent of the thread in certain categories as the price of good/great material has risen.

I ain't gonna lie, I posted that big ass pad...lol and If I had won the lottery I would have bought it. But considering I'm not balling out of control (yet...I won't give up the dream man!!:P2) I put it there. I will be perfectly honest, that does go outside best value and into OMG I want that!!:mrgreen2:

Still, I try to post unusual stones that "I" would want or that "I" find cool because who knows, someone else might too. Thats probably the unintended part of this thread...don't know. I might not post anything otherwise.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t you just love when threads morph into new ones?:lol:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Concede this totally. I think that value for the money can be all over the place, given the thread started in 2012, and the cost of certain stones have gone through the roof. Also, I think most people have stayed true to the intent of the thread in certain categories as the price of good/great material has risen.

I ain't gonna lie, I posted that big ass pad...lol and If I had won the lottery I would have bought it. But considering I'm not balling out of control (yet...I won't give up the dream man!!:P2) I put it there. I will be perfectly honest, that does go outside best value and into OMG I want that!!:mrgreen2:

Still, I try to post unusual stones that "I" would want or that "I" find cool because who knows, someone else might too. Thats probably the unintended part of this thread...don't know. I might not post anything otherwise.

Please keep posting. Readers like me depend on readers like you to hone our ability to discern what is ideal or not. It really is an education!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Affordable and lovely IMHO. Anyone like heart shapes?
Screenshot_20190917-074115_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20190917-074119_Facebook.jpg
Be still my beating heart!!!:love::love::love::love: Its tempting! (Ido not need yet another zircon with as many as I have unset...lol)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be still my beating heart!!!:love::love::love::love: Its tempting! (Ido not need yet another zircon with as many as I have unset...lol)
It's seriously gorgeous. I was tempted before I remembered all the stones I have to set and then I stopped myself haha.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a gorgeous ring but since she bought this pre-loved I would want documentation to backup that the stone is indeed as described.
Solid suggestion.
But If the current owner doesn’t have the documentation -
And if I was so inclined to want it for myself-
This particular stone and ring origin is easily found on PS.
1B04408D-3762-487A-A413-A3968AE7C89D.jpeg
Unless you are meaning like a current independent appraiser to detail wear/damages?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher, good detective work! I just worry about buying pre-loved especially if the seller didn't buy direct but obviously this checks out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results