clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
e3050312-f8d2-445e-a2d6-13b80e25ff78.jpg
72889bbc-8b4a-447e-862f-4057c160b2e0.jpg
1874c7e1-226c-412f-af0f-7fd72b587178.jpg

On Catawiki ending in like 3 hours, this auction has many gorgeous lots, but this one, oh my, if I had some thousands dollars to spare I'd buy it so fast
Love!!! What a color change! :love:

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Actually that is not a bad price at about $600/ct IF it actually looks like that in all lighting. And you NEED IT

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Actually that is not a bad price at about $600/ct IF it actually looks like that in all lighting. And you NEED IT

There's a video on the Instagram page, this is high jewellery type of stone I think. There's also a 13 cts GIA certified paraiba tourmaline that was nice

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D601121B-585D-4A64-89FC-D169ABC465C7.jpeg

I would want to see the actual prestige report, and against a white background, but this seems to be a good deal on a very clean and find emerald. It’s almost like the setting is free.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs how did you get access to the trade page? I think he has cool stuff he posts there that probably never make it to the regular page.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs how did you get access to the trade page? I think he has cool stuff he posts there that probably never make it to the regular page.
Oops, he has a regular page???? Shit, I'm following the wrong one!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D601121B-585D-4A64-89FC-D169ABC465C7.jpeg

I would want to see the actual prestige report, and against a white background, but this seems to be a good deal on a very clean and find emerald. It’s almost like the setting is free.

TL, I have a question. The color is saturated, but is it dark, or is it what the trade considers ideal? I looked and looked, and searched, and finally realized that my preference is for a shade lighter-colored colombians, because they have neon halo around them. Am I subconsciously drawn to "not ideal" Colombians?

ETA: or is it just the photo? Hard to make photos of them?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, I have a question. The color is saturated, but is it dark, or is it what the trade considers ideal? I looked and looked, and searched, and finally realized that my preference is for a shade lighter-colored colombians, because they have neon halo around them. Am I subconsciously drawn to "not ideal" Colombians?

ETA: or is it just the photo? Hard to make photos of them?
Yes, that tone and hue are trade ideals (Muzo). Chivor stones are probably what you favor, and some Afghan and Ethiopian emeralds are similar to Chivor Columbian.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that tone and hue are trade ideals (Muzo). Chivor stones are probably what you favor, and some Afghan and Ethiopian emeralds are similar to Chivor Columbian.

Thank you! This, btw, explains a lot about the origin of the emerald cut. (And about the fact that the first found Paraiba was taken for an emerald. Brazilian emeralds were lighter, too).

Last edited:
Reactions: T L

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is what the GemePrice shows for emerald color, tone and saturation. The "Gem" color being ideal.

Most emeralds are cut in an emerald cut because it gives a very high yield based on the typical shape of a natural emerald crystal. It's not uncommon when cutting emeralds cuts to get 50% yield from a well shaped crystal.

On this image, TONE goes vertically, and Saturation from left to right. So every image on the same row have the same TONE, just the saturation goes higher. The HUE is the same for every image, only TONE and SATURATION change. Many people confuse TONE and SATURATION.

EmeraldColor.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is interesting because when I saw the emeralds Yvonne Raley had brought back (and I saw them all since I met her on the day she was dropping them off to be evaluated), she separated them into Muzo and Chivor piles and the Chivor stones were nearly uniformly more saturated and darker and sliiiiightly more blue, while the Muzo stones were lighter in tone. Many I've seen that I know are Muzo are almost pastel and I never like them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top quality Muzo are less blue than Chivor, and more intense green, darker tone, and vividly saturated. It could be that Yvonne couldn’t get top quality Muzo stones, as they are more expensive than Chivor stones, so she obtained lesser grade ones.

Not all Muzo are guaranteed to be top quality. I would look to a dealer like muzoemerald on IG to see what fine trade ideal Muzo emeralds look like.

Fine Muzo emerald

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzggasaDQBF/?igshid=uelihjvji2vf

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is what the GemePrice shows for emerald color, tone and saturation. The "Gem" color being ideal.

Most emeralds are cut in an emerald cut because it gives a very high yield based on the typical shape of a natural emerald crystal. It's not uncommon when cutting emeralds cuts to get 50% yield from a well shaped crystal.

On this image, TONE goes vertically, and Saturation from left to right. So every image on the same row have the same TONE, just the saturation goes higher. The HUE is the same for every image, only TONE and SATURATION change. Many people confuse TONE and SATURATION.

EmeraldColor.png
Yes, that still goes toward darker tone. I’ve seen emeralds so dark, they lose vividness of color. Chivor stones tend to be lighter in tone than the gem quality on that chart, some people prefer the lighter tone. The nice thing about emeralds is that you don’t need top gem quality to own a beautiful stone.

Example of overly dark tone, less saturated color emerald.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1gjmDkFXlR/?igshid=nnsy7a6n2dse

These are pretty, but too light. They look more like tourmaline than emerald.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1jh7U0hD0n/?igshid=1x4qyiuer5w4o

Most decent emeralds should be between these two tones, but with strong to vivid saturation.

Last edited:

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would currently stay away from flawless diamonds. They are now synthetics and they are getting better. It's like a 3 ct Mozambique Ruby that was being sold by CherryPicked.com years ago. He couldn't sell it even a at a huge discount since there were no inclusions for the lab to determine if it was natural or synthetic. Pretty soon I don't think the labs will be able to tell the difference.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I would currently stay away from flawless diamonds. They are now synthetics and they are getting better. It's like a 3 ct Mozambique Ruby that was being sold by CherryPicked.com years ago. He couldn't sell it even a at a huge discount since there were no inclusions for the lab to determine if it was natural or synthetic. Pretty soon I don't think the labs will be able to tell the difference.

Man, that is sad, technologically amazing, but also sad

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reminds me of green diamonds, where the only way they can sometimes tell if it’s natural color is to leave some of the original rough “skin” on the gem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA has a machine that can determine synthetics by growth lines, but evidently that may not be enough!!!

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Reminds me of green diamonds, where the only way they can sometimes tell if it’s natural color is to leave some of the original rough “skin” on the gem.
I had no idea, do you have articles or further information about this?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea, do you have articles or further information about this?

I don't have a reference handy, but this is absolutely true. Radiation is what causes diamonds to turn green, so for a long time the GIA had great difficulty telling if it was natural radiation in the ground, or if man irradiated it. I think they have gotten much better, but still may put out a report stating color origin is inconclusive. My mother owns a 3.02 ct natural green, with the GIA report declaring it natural.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results