carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1438017650|3907985 said:
I'm currently on a self-imposed ban, otherwise this would be on its way to me. :love: I'd love for this to become part of the PS family, so someone pleeeeeeease snap it up!

Mahenge spinel
2.05 cts
Roughly 7 x 6.6 x 5.4mm (faces up smaller, I realize, but look at it! :lickout: )
Untreated
$7k
http://topnotchfaceting.com/artwork/3788922-446-Spinel-Mahenge-Tanzania.html

Wow, did not know they had gotten that expensive! :o But that said, if someone has an extra $7k, then they should seriously consider it. Lovely color.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1438025463|3908030 said:
I'm currently on a self-imposed ban, otherwise this would be on its way to me. :love: I'd love for this to become part of the PS family, so someone pleeeeeeease snap it up!

Mahenge spinel
2.05 cts
Roughly 7 x 6.6 x 5.4mm (faces up smaller, I realize, but look at it! :lickout: )
Untreated
$7k

Wow, did not know they had gotten that expensive! :o But that said, if someone has an extra $7k, then they should seriously consider it. Lovely color.

It is a lovely color minousbijoux. Gingercurls has a precision cut 5 carat neon Mahenge for roughly the same price for anyone in the market. How awesome is it that we see two such lovely Mahenge spinels for sale at the same time. :)

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/5-dot-12-precision-cut-neon-pinkish-red-spinel-with-agl-prestige-report

simurgh

Rough_Rock
A quick note ...gingercurls' is not a mahenge ... She notes the previous owner said it came from vietnam. Still a lovely stone!

LisaRN|1438044551|3908143 said:
minousbijoux|1438025463|3908030 said:

Mahenge spinel
2.05 cts
Untreated
$7k

It is a lovely color minousbijoux. Gingercurls has a precision cut 5 carat neon Mahenge for roughly the same price for anyone in the market. How awesome is it that we see two such lovely Mahenge spinels for sale at the same time. :)

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/5-dot-12-precision-cut-neon-pinkish-red-spinel-with-agl-prestige-report

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Simurgh - you are correct about that origin, I had noticed that too. It is interesting to sort of compare these two gems, and get an idea of where the market is at.

As far as pricing on the mahenge vs the Vietnamese spinel: I know absolutely nothing about the $7k mahenge - by that I mean, I don't know such details as far as when the rough was acquired or how much was paid for it. These stones are very pricey now, as we can see, so it may be necessary that it is priced this high for the seller to make an appropriate profit - who knows? We keep hearing about the Asian pricing markets and the crazy high prices, and that we haven't really even seen the full effect over here yet. Perhaps this is an example?

I'm just kind of speculating here, sorry... I do think it's a gorgeous mahenge.

The Vietnamese spinel, OTOH, I recognize - it's been around a bit longer, from when prices were definitely lower. I remember when the previous owner sold it :). I thought it was a lovely gem at that time too.

They are both beautiful gems and if I were going to choose one (wish I were that lucky!), I'm honestly not sure which I would prefer. I like the color and the size of the mahenge better (I know that may seem a bit odd, but 5 cts is too big for an ering for my personal preference, which is what I would expect to use a stone of this price for); but I prefer the cut/shape of the Vietnamese stone.

Anyway, I think both gems are good additions to this thread :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1438021422|3908008 said:
This 1.91ct Afghan aqua in Liquid Flower cut from Uli of osirisgems caught my eyes, however, I was too late, and hope it is being snatched up by one of the PS CSers:

notpurchasedafgaqu1.jpg

DK :))

I love these designs! They are so unique. Anyone know what the price ranges are? I don't want to bother them since I am fairly sure they are far more expensive than I can afford :knockout:

S

SparkliesLuver

katharath said:
As far as pricing on the mahenge vs the Vietnamese spinel: I know absolutely nothing about the $7k mahenge - by that I mean, I don't know such details as far as when the rough was acquired or how much was paid for it. These stones are very pricey now, as we can see, so it may be necessary that it is priced this high for the seller to make an appropriate profit - who knows? We keep hearing about the Asian pricing markets and the crazy high prices, and that we haven't really even seen the full effect over here yet. Perhaps this is an example?

He told me he purchased the rough a couple years ago. Plus, I didn't try to haggle with him on the price because it was too far above my "leftover budget" anyway. So he may be willing, for the right person, to come down some. Not sure.

S

SparkliesLuver

lovedogs said:
I love these designs! They are so unique. Anyone know what the price ranges are? I don't want to bother them since I am fairly sure they are far more expensive than I can afford :knockout:

I find his stuff to be very reasonable. The one referenced above is $120.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1438083365|3908256 said:
lovedogs said:

I find his stuff to be very reasonable. The one referenced above is $120.

wow, that is shocking! I think that cut is just fantastic. Might have to contact him to inquire...my bank account hates me in advance :naughty:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone want a whopping 27.65ct stone?? I just saw this one and fell in love--but sadly I cannot imagine ever using a stone this big. It's a rose quartz cut by Roger Dery. YUM! 11807301_10153455823742230_1303124462000554443_o.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rose quartz just posted by lovedogs is being sold by Jason Brim. It is available on Facebook in certain groups.

I also wanted to add that Jason has a number of awesome looking stones right now, including some beautiful Afghani teal tourmalines and a small but lovely pastel yellow sapphire for sale for $200! His stuff is definitely worth taking a look at!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1438114882|3908450 said:
The rose quartz just posted by lovedogs is being sold by Jason Brim. It is available on Facebook in certain groups.

I also wanted to add that Jason has a number of awesome looking stones right now, including some beautiful Afghani teal tourmalines and a small but lovely pastel yellow sapphire for sale for $200! His stuff is definitely worth taking a look at!

Sorry, I should have added that info! Thanks Minous! Also I can add that Jason is great--I just bought a stone from him and he was very helpful and responsive throughout the process.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1438110841|3908418 said:
Anyone want a whopping 27.65ct stone?? I just saw this one and fell in love--but sadly I cannot imagine ever using a stone this big. It's a rose quartz cut by Roger Dery. YUM! 11807301_10153455823742230_1303124462000554443_o.jpg

Totally agree, love this gem!! It's just too big for me to do anything with personally - but for someone who likes larger gems this one is SO beautiful!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can easily see that beauty as a pendant, on a long chain (so I can stare at it).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1438176351|3908635 said:
For those of us who don't "do" Facebook, Roger has listed the 27.65 ct rose quartz & another, 21.59 ct one (radiant emerald cut) on LoupeTroop :sun:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos...dot-65ct-madagascan-rose-quartz-by-roger-dery
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos...dot-59ct-madagascan-rose-quartz-by-roger-dery

Heads up that its actually Jason who has listed them. I suspect that he bought the rough when he and Roger were traveling together, and then Roger agreed to cut it for him. But it is Jason who is selling the stone. :))

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, I obviously breezed past the fact that Roger himself had not posted those 2 LT listings, so thanks for correcting my error, minous.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
urseberry|1437003458|3903326 said:
I had not heard of Kosnar Gem Co before mochiko's post about the heart tourmaline. They have some beautiful stuff. Does anyone have experience with Kosnar Gem they'd like to share?

Sorry to bring this older post up, but I just saw this (have been mostly off PS in the last couple of months). I bought a custom cut pale blue aquamarine (Brett Kosnar did the faceting) and a giant heart-shaped pale yellow orthoclase from Allyce Kosnar and I was very pleased with the cutting. I had a good experience and would repurchase from them again.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
swissmiss|1438389501|3909607 said:
I bought a custom cut pale blue aquamarine (Brett Kosnar did the faceting) and a giant heart-shaped pale yellow orthoclase from Allyce Kosnar and I was very pleased with the cutting. I had a good experience and would repurchase from them again.
Thanks, swissmiss!

iLander

Ideal_Rock

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
The cushion cut mahenge is lovely! Whew, price seems high. And i think i could use a sceptort o indicate my queenly commands! (DH had a good laugh over last. )

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1438399831|3909646 said:
For those of us who don't "do" Facebook, Roger has listed the 27.65 ct rose quartz & another, 21.59 ct one (radiant emerald cut) on LoupeTroop :sun:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos...dot-65ct-madagascan-rose-quartz-by-roger-dery
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos...dot-59ct-madagascan-rose-quartz-by-roger-dery

Why do faceters cut stones this big? :confused: What are we supposed to do with stones this big? Make scepters?

iLander I totally agree!! I LOVE this stone so much, but it is just unreasonably large. But one potential reason (I asked Jason if a smaller one could be cut and look so beautiful) is that apparently rose quartz is not very saturated in smaller sizes, so he said he's never seen a color this nice/consistent in a ring size stone. When I looked around the internet, I couldnt find anything this amazing in a size I was comfortable with, so maybe that's why this one is so huge. Still so sad :( But hey, maybe I need a scepter??? :naughty:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
lovedogs|1438475962|3909886 said:

Why do faceters cut stones this big? :confused: What are we supposed to do with stones this big? Make scepters?

iLander I totally agree!! I LOVE this stone so much, but it is just unreasonably large. But one potential reason (I asked Jason if a smaller one could be cut and look so beautiful) is that apparently rose quartz is not very saturated in smaller sizes, so he said he's never seen a color this nice/consistent in a ring size stone. When I looked around the internet, I couldnt find anything this amazing in a size I was comfortable with, so maybe that's why this one is so huge. Still so sad :( But hey, maybe I need a scepter??? :naughty:

For a smaller rose quartz I'd recommend osirisgems.com (Uli). I cannot find an example because his old newsletters don't work but I am 100% sure he had smaller rose quartzes before with an obvious pink colour and a bit of silk like the one above. He also has very interesting designs to choose from.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Richard Homer used to have some sweet pink Quartz as well. Mega bucks, though.

S

SparkliesLuver

Very pretty 1ct mint green tourmaline - watch the video! - at a good price.

6.3 mm x 6.3 mm x 4.8 mm
$375
http://www.stevorocks.com/#
(click the tourmaline page)

4475777_a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rose quartz is common and very inexpensive. What you are paying for is mostly for their time, labour and skill. A smaller stone is likely to be priced about the same or at the very least, not much less because it takes about the same amount of time to facet.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know they're large but I feel like I could easily make a long pendant with the larger ones.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1438870478|3911830 said:

Rose quartz is common and very inexpensive. What you are paying for is mostly for their time, labour and skill. A smaller stone is likely to be priced about the same or at the very least, not much less because it takes about the same amount of time to facet.

SO TRUE!!

And a 40 ct stone or two smaller 15 ct stones - double work but nobody will pay for it. Same price per carat ( lets say 10 pct) and you pay 400 for the single one and 300 for both smaller ones - no cutter would do this!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
The funny thing is that I probably would have bought the stone if it were 15 carats, lol!! A stone that's closer to twice that carat weight, such as this one, is just too big for me personally.

I am pretty sure on that bc I recently bought my rose de france ammy from Dana that is 13+ cts and measures 15.4 mm round. Even that gem feels crazy big to me! I was seriously considering the rose quartz, but having my ammy on hand to compare really makes me think I'd find the quartz much too big. I don't know. Honestly if it wasn't $1000+ I might do it anyway; I really do love it. It's just that there are a LOT of other gems that I love more that are in that price range; if I were going to spend $1k+, it would be on something that I want more.

I do hope that this one finds a buyer, it's so pretty...

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh I just checked the rose quartz listing on LT and it looks like it's completed!! Hopefully a PSer picked it up. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results