carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1390700405|3601220 said:
I swear NKOTB has the fastest trigger finger in the history of the planet. Yay - I can't wait to see this one, and see what you think. I know you've really been needing a pink stone to add to your collection.

Lol!!!! Do I detect a note of sarcasm?? :cheeky: I actually hesitated to admit that it was me, given my penchant for stones in the pink family and luck scoring some decent ones. This one did scream at me, and I didn't expect to get it (I have missed out on many of Gene's!), but alas... I might actually be ready to set it sooner rather than later, with a Preloved Tacori on its way to me that it might fit perfectly into, but there are a couple of other contenders waiting for the setting as well... Perhaps y'all can help me choose. :Up_to_something:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
NKOTB|1390720179|3601369 said:
minousbijoux|1390700405|3601220 said:
I swear NKOTB has the fastest trigger finger in the history of the planet. Yay - I can't wait to see this one, and see what you think. I know you've really been needing a pink stone to add to your collection.

Lol!!!! Do I detect a note of sarcasm?? :cheeky: I actually hesitated to admit that it was me, given my penchant for stones in the pink family and luck scoring some decent ones. This one did scream at me, and I didn't expect to get it (I have missed out on many of Gene's!), but alas... I might actually be ready to set it sooner rather than later, with a Preloved Tacori on its way to me that it might fit perfectly into, but there are a couple of other contenders waiting for the setting as well... Perhaps y'all can help me choose. :Up_to_something:
...like a hole in the head...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Where do you all find the great pre-loved settings you come up with? I never seem to see anything all that great. Have never bought one. Point me in the right direction, please!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1390743311|3601435 said:
Where do you all find the great pre-loved settings you come up with? I never seem to see anything all that great. Have never bought one. Point me in the right direction, please!

Mostly ebay, have also scored some via LT/DB.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that sapphire too! That will be a fun stone!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1390743311|3601435 said:
I'm pretty sure she has super powers.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think so too, Freke. Some kind of super-kinetic magnetism for pre-owned settings -- they find her! :D

--- Laurie

Bex

Shiny_Rock
New aquamarine from Dan Stair. Faces up 9.13 x 5.50mm and only $75! It looks to me like it would a lovely ring, but I already have too many other things that need to be set!

aqua1_0.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bex|1391020848|3603505 said:
New aquamarine from Dan Stair. Faces up 9.13 x 5.50mm and only $75! It looks to me like it would a lovely ring, but I already have too many other things that need to be set!

aqua1_0.jpg

One thing to keep in mind with Dan's stones - his choice of background color in each of his photos is typically similar in color to the stone, which means it results in an intensification of the stone's color in the photos. In hand, I imagine that aqua would be extremely pale, almost colorless with just a slight blue tint. Just an fyi - his cutting is lovely though.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That simply isn't true Minous.

Dan uses a neutral grey background in every photo. This would not enhance the color of a blue stone...or an orange stone, or a yellow stone, or whatever.

That being said, like every vendor, I rely on both the description and image when evaluating a stone for purchase. In this case, Dan states "light greenish blue", which, seems to also be how I would read the image.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChrisA222|1391022106|3603526 said:

Dan uses a neutral grey background in every photo. This would not enhance the color of a blue stone...or an orange stone, or a yellow stone, or whatever.

That being said, like every vendor, I rely on both the description and image when evaluating a stone for purchase. In this case, Dan states "light greenish blue", which, seems to also be how I would read the image.

Thanks - I wasn't aware of this, as it must be something he has recently started. It used to drive me crazy about his photos, and I'm happy to stand corrected, if what you say is true. :))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChrisA222|1391022106|3603526 said:

Just to be clear (and not to be argumentative), while he may have changed to using one grey background more recently, if you click on any of the stone types listed under "All Gemstones Currently Available," the majority of them show stones with at least 2 different colored backgrounds, and a couple have 3 different colored backgrounds. Likely he is not retaking photos of stones already posted to his site prior to the introduction of this single background color policy, but as it stands now, there are stones on his sites with several different colored backgrounds so MB's advice is applicable.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mary,

I saw those but they are all some variation of a neutral grey color. That was my only point. They aren't colors he uses to enhance a gem colors appearance. At least IMO. At least he is sticking to one shade of grey in his new listings.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love, love, love that spinel! What a color! What would you call that fancy cut? It is simply stunning!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I agree Freke... two beauties there - the spinel is sooooo brilliant!

Mikla - someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's one of those that falls into "fancy" + it's cut pattern, the name of which I can't remember.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone is seriously looking for a padparadscha colored spinel, that Gene Mahenge on LT sure is a good prospect. Love the way it looks.

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
That spinel has been sorely tempting me...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1391304105|3606088 said:
If anyone is seriously looking for a padparadscha colored spinel, that Gene Mahenge on LT sure is a good prospect. Love the way it looks.
Looks like a more pure pink to me, you see orange?

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Jeff Davies posted these last night and they are KILLING ME (well, except the rusty brown one that's a little out of place. But the rest!!)

jeff_davies_sapphires.jpg

15.76ct Sapphire set - Madagascar 5.5 x 3.5 mm - perfect matching clean, exceptional cutting and color, UNHEATED $2365 shipped

I really don't need 35 gorgeous little sapphires. I really just need one bigger one for an e-ring. But man are those pretty. Will someone please buy them before my trigger finger gets itchy and I start telling my European husband that in America when you love a girl very VERY much you buy her an engagement parure?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, those are yummy! I see an incredible bracelet there. Sigh, where's my trust fund when I need it? (If I had one, it would be empty long ago & I'd have lotsa bling.)

--- Laurie

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
That Gene mahenge is lovely and now marked pending....is it what you'd call a cushion cut? Off to look at jeff davies. He always hassuch pretty stuff.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I am very tempted by that sapphire. I've been looking for an unheated blue to put in a halo and that looks so nice....

D

Deactivated member 42515

Jereni said:
I am very tempted by that sapphire. I've been looking for an unheated blue to put in a halo and that looks so nice....

And cheap!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bex|1391322107|3606279 said:
Jeff Davies posted these last night and they are KILLING ME (well, except the rusty brown one that's a little out of place. But the rest!!)

15.76ct Sapphire set - Madagascar 5.5 x 3.5 mm - perfect matching clean, exceptional cutting and color, UNHEATED $2365 shipped

I really don't need 35 gorgeous little sapphires. I really just need one bigger one for an e-ring. But man are those pretty. Will someone please buy them before my trigger finger gets itchy and I start telling my European husband that in America when you love a girl very VERY much you buy her an engagement parure?

oh my gosh right, i don't know how id use them, though. The beautify seems to come from the cluster of random pastels.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jereni|1391356756|3606428 said:
Oh Jereni! That would look so beautiful! I love the blue of this sapphire too, it's the perfect bright blue.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Jereni|1391356756|3606428 said:

Just note that the cutting is off center (look at litnon's original listing - theres a link in the stone's description). Not a big deal and still fantastic value for the colour and size!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, just wow! Those are stunning! Imagine cutting them all...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel like singing, "one of these things is not like the others. . . " from Sesame Street.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I want to cherry pick the ones I want, but I know that's not allowed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results