shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
That mint garnet pear IS gorgeous and a cute shape but oh so very much moulah ;(

Gene - thanks for breaking it down for us.

I don't pop in here often but I ran across this set of blue peruvian opals for a very reasonable price - imagine some gold or diamonds or amethysts sprinkled across that gap.

Available at Holey Stones

holeystones-peruvian-blue-opal-suite-_245.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, are those pretty! Amethysts, yes -- something purple would be perfect.

Neat jasper from the same seller. It looks like somebody talented painted a design on it. 45 x 25 & only $48. Is this someone you've dealt with before?

--- Laurie

c_nj_31112.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes that jasper is great - they do have some lovely pieces and no, I haven't used them. I just came across them again searching for something else.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Jasper is amazing! Stunning color.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1387284537|3575995 said:
I'm sorry VL.

Gene's 9 ct green garnet is painfully beautiful to look at. Now, where did I stash my excess $6K? Better start looking under the sofa. :bigsmile:

Agreed - it is absolutely stunning and a color that I would love to have one day...6k...gahhhh - if only a money tree would start growing - wouldn't that be nice :)

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
This 3.9 ct cushion amethyst has beautiful facet work - and is less than $150! Available from Gene.

1_amethyst_bolivia_precision_gem-2.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I see color zoning, but the cut is nice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Already sold!

Pregcurious,
What makes you think it is zoning rather than blue flash and contrast scintillation?

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Found a couple more this morning worth mentioning that aren't budget busters!:

Very nice Pink/Rose Spinel.
28239.jpg
28241.jpg

Here's another Vanadium Beryl, I believe there was a lot of interest on the rough last time, from Dana:
28266.jpg

There's some really neat other items too - like the Amethyst Stalactite slices... Goodluck!

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
I just bought that rose spinel, squeeeeeeeeeee! :appl:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew!!! Congrats, koolchicken! Please show us some pics when you get it, so those of us who might have resisted (with some difficulty) can drool some more. :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That will be a gorgeous ring, koolchicken! Pics when you get it -- I can't wait to see how it looks in hand!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So, who got the demantoid? That is a gorgeous little guy.

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
I promise to post pics once I get it. I also have to post photos of my other spinel (light pink also MC). It was a Christmas present so I wasn't allowed as it was supposed to be a "surprise". :twirl:

I also bought the ametrine, I was hoping there would be one and I was so happy it was the cut style I wanted.

I'm bummed about the citrine though. I logged on at 7am and it was already gone, and it said in the listing Dana doesn't cut them anymore. :(( I'm hoping that one pops up on the secondary market but it was so cheap I doubt anyone will part with it.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
koolchicken, Jeff Davies just posted this, and I immediately thought of you. It's a little more than Dana's was, but still very affordable, and very nicely cut. Good size, too! Find him through his pinterest, or FB, or ebay page.

3.36ct Citrine - Brazil
10.75 x 6.54 mm
clean, custom cut, standard heat - no irradiation,
$65 shipped

1560387_10152183414639357_496374087_n.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1389013220|3587336 said:
Already sold!

Pregcurious,
What makes you think it is zoning rather than blue flash and contrast scintillation?

Good question. It never occurred to me that it would have blue flash like that. Can it look like that and not be zoning? I would rely on the written description, and would normally ask, but unfortunately there no time to ask for these drops.

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
NKOTB, Thank you! I was bored in the car so was just surfing the forum when I saw your post. I'm soooo happy I logged on. I'm quite picky when it comes to citrines and this one is perfect. Maybe a tad big, but I'll just have to suffer, lol. I contacted Jeff and he said it was still available. So barring acts of God it'll be mine as soon as he gets back to me on how to pay! :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Lovely citrine, KC, well cut & good size. Congratulations!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pregcurious,
It is unfortunate that with the drops, there is no time at all for questions. It is a "buy now, find out later" decision or you'll never "win" the gem.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
koolchicken|1389255269|3589402 said:
NKOTB, Thank you! I was bored in the car so was just surfing the forum when I saw your post. I'm soooo happy I logged on. I'm quite picky when it comes to citrines and this one is perfect. Maybe a tad big, but I'll just have to suffer, lol. I contacted Jeff and he said it was still available. So barring acts of God it'll be mine as soon as he gets back to me on how to pay! :appl:

Oh, good, I'm glad you got it! I hope you love it! :D

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm too slow anyway. I used to try, but I gave up. I think Gene's tourmalines are amazing.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
An update on the red spinel from Julia B! I will try to get pictures, but it's not my stone so I can't guarantee. In Julia's picture, it looked somewhat dark and sleepy. This is not the case at all IRL. It's well-cut, a basic, nicely-proportioned round brilliant with good polish. The color is slightly on the orange/brassy/warm rather than the cool/purple/pink side of red. I know this isn't everyone's preference, but I actually prefer it and my friend does as well. It's definitely red, though, and not orange. I probably wouldn't even call it "flame spinel" though it is close. More color sensitive PSers might see brown, but neither of us do, so while I'm sure that there is some brown in a red this warm, we both find the saturation to be more than acceptable. It is very sparkly, with lots of bright fiery red flashes. There is no (or at least very minimal) extinction and the stone is gorgeous in most light. It does go a little dark in some low light situations, but not TOO dark, and even then, it's pretty flashy. Overall, I think it's a good deal on a nice example of hard to find stone. I am going to recommend that he keeps it, and I think that his GF will be thrilled. He could search for a purer red, more vivid, that doesn't go dark at all, but he's not at all interested in a long hunt and the gem certainly meets his criteria because it is red, natural, beautiful, the right size, and in his price range. He and I are both happy with the stone. Now he just have to finalize the setting. White gold and diamonds will look awesome.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the JuliaB spinel update. I was sorely tempted. Good to know it hasn't left our orbit.

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
I was too late for that one too. :(( But Jeff was able to fix it! He had another that was smaller (by about 1ct) so it'll actually work better for me. He promised it looked just like the other one too. He also had an amethyst that was about 1.5ct's and I bought that too. I was looking at another smaller one but that had sold as well. He sold it to me for the price of the smaller stone as well.

When I initially saw both stones I had an idea for a pendant, and I'm not sure if it'll still work with the larger stone being 1ct smaller and the little one being .25ct bigger. I'll have to wait to see them in person but I hope it'll still work out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vel,
The review of JuliaB's spinel is much appreciated.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Holy crap that's amazing.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I don't like yellowish green but that is freaking gorgeous. Looks like a luscious gumdrop! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results