shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade
MOHs is the measure of hardness- a material's ability to be scratched. Durability is another matter. Agate is a cryptocrystalline quartz and measures about a 7.0 on the hardness scale. It's nearly identical to a jasper or chalcedony, though "agate" is the term given to a banded chalcedony. Chalcedony is more translucent/not banded (ie. Chrysoprase) and Jasper is the opaque variety. You'd be surprised how durable plain ol' agate really can be. Though, like anything else it can be damaged if done (im)properly. I'd be somewhat careful wearing such a ring.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Okay, heh heh.......

68.35 ct. Fancy Intense, natural color, IF, excellent polish & excellent symmetry, per GIA. $2.2 - 3.2 million. Christie's. I hope I get my allowance in time.

--- Laurie

_1272.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
GregS|1348002937|3270432 said:
OTL|1346881294|3262836 said:
Now something really worth a look from gemrite

1.31ct color change sapphire from VVS-VS clarity, no treatment, for only $325. Can not beat that price!
dimension is also good 7.24x6.22, very good size for a ring! Color change from bluish purple to purplish red

http://www.gemrite.com/collections/gems/products/purple-blue-sapphire-1-31-cts

I feel so bad I have to cut expense this month because I bought a fancy lens..., if it was one or two months before I will grab it without blinking...
I grabbed this one, I received it about a week ago. It left little to be desired. It was very dark, the polish was poor and it was windowed. However, the color is very nice and it has a strong color change, so instead of returning it I am having it re-cut by Jerry at Gemart. Who btw is an absolute pleasure to deal with. I will post pictures of it when I get it back from him, I would've posted before pictures but they were lack luster to say the least.

What will the size be like after a re cut?

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
innerkitten|1349959340|3283209 said:
GregS|1348002937|3270432 said:
OTL|1346881294|3262836 said:
Now something really worth a look from gemrite

1.31ct color change sapphire from VVS-VS clarity, no treatment, for only $325. Can not beat that price!
dimension is also good 7.24x6.22, very good size for a ring! Color change from bluish purple to purplish red

http://www.gemrite.com/collections/gems/products/purple-blue-sapphire-1-31-cts

I feel so bad I have to cut expense this month because I bought a fancy lens..., if it was one or two months before I will grab it without blinking...
I grabbed this one, I received it about a week ago. It left little to be desired. It was very dark, the polish was poor and it was windowed. However, the color is very nice and it has a strong color change, so instead of returning it I am having it re-cut by Jerry at Gemart. Who btw is an absolute pleasure to deal with. I will post pictures of it when I get it back from him, I would've posted before pictures but they were lack luster to say the least.

What will the size be like after a re cut?
I got it back from Jerry two days ago along with a dud Sphene I bought from Multicolour (which he really worked some magic on). The weight is 1.21 ct. iirc, he repolished it and tweeked the pavilion. It's much brighter now but it has some extinction going on. Honestly it's the one stone in my collection I really dont care for, but my gf likes it so I'm going to have it set for her. =) I'm going to post pictures of it today when I get off of work, as this is the one day I get off early enough to have some daylight left.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see the new cut.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it will be nice to see the before and afters.

Laurie: nice rock. I want your allowance! :cheeky:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Outside...
dsc_0480.jpg
Inside, incandescent lighting...
dsc_0504.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I actually like it. It's very plummy. I sometimes really like the deeper colored stones.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on your pictures, Greg, I assume its pretty dark in inside light?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
GregS|1349973064|3283315 said:
Outside...
dsc_0480.jpg
Inside, incandescent lighting...
dsc_0504.jpg

It's got purple, pink and red flashes?? GOOD WORK

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nice colors! Looks like it darkens inside but maybe it's the photo?

Minou -- I want my allowance for that diamond too! Where am I gonna get it? 8)

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to think that I am a trust fund baby - just that I haven't found the trust fund yet :naughty: I'm sure its the same with you, don't you think?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All kidding aside, doesn't that seem to be an incredibly cheap price for a diamond of that color, size and flawless clarity?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1349981245|3283381 said:
All kidding aside, doesn't that seem to be an incredibly cheap price for a diamond of that color, size and flawless clarity?
If it sells for $3mil, it comes out to about $44k per carat. Quite reasonable, I'd say!

:naughty:

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
eh, who wants it...for that money you should at least be able to get Vivid saturation :lol:

Greg, I love that stone...I think you bought it well and the recut was an excellent decision...awesome!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I feel like I read somewhere that with gemstones they keep going up by carat as the stone gets larger but only up to a certain point because at a certain point people just don' buy them if they are that huge etc. Well anyway, it was something along those lines. So perhaps that's why the diamond seems like a steal at 2 to 3 million.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1349986053|3283402 said:
I feel like I read somewhere that with gemstones they keep going up by carat as the stone gets larger but only up to a certain point because at a certain point people just don' buy them if they are that huge etc. Well anyway, it was something along those lines. So perhaps that's why the diamond seems like a steal at 2 to 3 million.

So, buy it, cut and polish it into two stones and sell each for 3 mil.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Inner k, that sounds as good a reason as any for"low"price. Jewel freak, what sort of cut is that with the sparkly center? Its gorgeous. Kenny, shall we go halvsies?

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1349975224|3283330 said:
Based on your pictures, Greg, I assume its pretty dark in inside light?
Yeah, it will black out in low light. However I feel that's pretty much the case for most stones, hence my recent interest in Paraiba Tourmaline.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got it! Greg, I do think that your tourmaline will most likely look good in low light. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, light to medium light toned stones never black out indoors. The PI tourmaline cabochon you purchased is light in tone so it will remain bright indoors. This is why I now shy away from medium darks, preferring a medium tone as my sweet spot.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1350009546|3283638 said:
In general, light to medium light toned stones never black out indoors. The PI tourmaline cabochon you purchased is light in tone so it will remain bright indoors. This is why I now shy away from medium darks, preferring a medium tone as my sweet spot.

I'm with you on this Chrono, I also prefer medium tone. Sometimes even light tone with high saturation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL,
I suppose we are considered to like non trade preferred colours? I'm with you on light toned stones with high saturation but these are sometimes difficult to find too.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1350009546|3283638 said:
I said "most", I should've said "some" or "a lot". I had a pendant made for my mom a few months back, it has a rather large very saturated Aquamarine and a small yellow sapphire, both stones perform very well in low light.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1350042784|3283735 said:
I said "most", I should've said "some" or "a lot". I had a pendant made for my mom a few months back, it has a rather large very saturated Aquamarine and a small yellow sapphire, both stones perform very well in low light.

Aquamarine is never dark in tone, ranging from very light to medium light at best. The same goes for yellow sapphires, so these gem types will rarely, if ever, black out.

In looking at the 3D colour chart and tonal graduation in the link below, you'll see that yellow never gets dark or approaches a black colour. If it does, it doesn't even resemble yellow at all. Blue has a wide range and approaches into the dark zone but aquamarines max out at medium light.
http://www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Good link... I see what you mean.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1350043613|3283736 said:
GregS|1350042784|3283735 said:

Aquamarine is never dark in tone, ranging from very light to medium light at best. The same goes for yellow sapphires, so these gem types will rarely, if ever, black out.

In looking at the 3D colour chart and tonal graduation in the link below, you'll see that yellow never gets dark or approaches a black colour. If it does, it doesn't even resemble yellow at all. Blue has a wide range and approaches into the dark zone but aquamarines max out at medium light.
http://www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm

Chrono - what a great link. Thank you!!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1350010202|3283644 said:
OTL,
I suppose we are considered to like non trade preferred colours? I'm with you on light toned stones with high saturation but these are sometimes difficult to find too.

It is extremely hard to find! And when you find them the price is not less than preferred colors too. But I absolutely adore those colors.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was tempted to post this Fancy Light Gray Blue pear yesterday when it was first listed, but I've been told to be careful to not appear as a shill.
Now that's it's reserved (I suspected it would go fast, and if I didn't have a blue I would have grabbed it) I'll post it.

It was $14K and some change.
While only 0.33 ct the length is 6.26 mm so it has a large presence ... well ... large for the natural blue diamond world.
It has a lot of blue for a Fancy Light Gray Blue, and GIA-graded VS1 clarity.

It just seemed to be a lot of Blue diamond for the money.
Honestly it does not look much different than my Fancy Intense Blue especially considering what I had to pay for it.
This strikes me as MUCH more blue per dollar spent.

Since I check newborns daily, I think in the future I WILL post new FCDs that seem like nice picks.
Isn't that the point of this thread ,,, to help out our friends?
Perhaps it will fall out of reserve status and someone here will grab it.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/10276.htm

fancy_light_gray_blue_.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I'm very sorry that you were warned about being a shill by posting about that beautiful blue before it was reserved. The only ones who had the power to do that must be the admins. I really hope I'm wrong on that, but...

Lesson learned, I'd say. You see it and it's what you're looking for, just go ahead and reserve it! Don't post until after you've received your lovely diamond. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results