shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's gotta buy this stone, "If I won the lottery" edition

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Vivid in diamonds seems to mean something else…

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Vivid in diamonds seems to mean something else…

Yeah, I think GIA grades FCDs relative to what FCDs can achieve. There is no cornflower-sapphire colored diamond.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
On the topic of blue diamonds, I enjoyed this side by side comparison of the Oppenheimer Blue and an emerald cut zircon.
comp.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the topic of blue diamonds, I enjoyed this side by side comparison of the Oppenheimer Blue and an emerald cut zircon.
comp.jpg

I think the blue diamond, or most blue diamond I see, look more like blue spinel than blue zircon. I love that diamond soooooooo much. Red diamonds are super overrated to me, but that mellow medium toned blue, ahhhhhh!

That being said, I think the Hope diamond is overrated, way too dark in tone. The Oppenheimer is gorgeous to me!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Huge 12+ct and relatively clean no treatment Pezzottaite... too unusual not to share. I've only seen decent ones an AJSgems and one or two on Palagems in much smaller sizes.
Price is not listed on the site but is 56k on their IG store.

Vid:

OnPaste.20220227-195817.png

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Probably because of the color of the pezzottaite, I remembered this video of a stunning 16ct rhodochrosite which was posted on PS yrs ago... anyone else remember it? Luckily it was easy to find.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I'm spamming this thread, but not sorry about it.

If I can't have the 15+ct vivid blue from the previous page, I would settle for this 1ct which seems to have an antique style cut (or a hybrid of antique and modern). I love a large culet.

Starting at 550k with a 750k-1m estimate.
OnPaste.20220302-152619.png
OnPaste.20220302-152825.png

I simply don’t get this sort of pricing. It’s a pale blueish grey and GIA calls it fancy vivid blue.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I simply don’t get this sort of pricing. It’s a pale blueish grey and GIA calls it fancy vivid blue.

People pay those prices, so that is how they are priced.
Up to the buyer to determine whether they only care about GIA grades or how the stone actually looks. Imo, the one I posted is quite nice for a vivid blue. I have seen worse (just go one page back!). However, if too pale, you can find darker vivid blues or deep blues which some prefer (they will still have a grey cast), for example:

Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 13-07-48 0 59 carat, Fancy Deep Blue Diamond, Hexagonal Shape, VVS2 C...png

Another darker one:

I find this screenshot kind of funny (sad?) re:GIA grades.
I still find blue diamonds can be charming.
Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 13-04-56 Blue Diamonds Shop Natural Loose Blue Diamond Leibish.png

Last edited:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock

I will add, I find old cuts on blue diamonds to be many times more charming than crushed ice/modern cuts. For example this vivid blue, which is far from vivid imo. I think TL hit the nail on the head that the colors are like blue spinels. As for why GIA grades them this way, and why people accept it, I don't know. But I still admire them.

If the images are accurate, I think this is one of the most saturated blue diamonds I have seen, but it could be me confusing saturation with darkness.
d_sku-cushion-fancy_vivid-si2-blue-60b8c.jpg
However, add a green modifier and they can be more vivid and medium tone.

fancy-vivid-blue-marquise-diamond-pli411.jpg

Last edited:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
People pay those prices, so that is how they are priced.
Up to the buyer to determine whether they only care about GIA grades or how the stone actually looks. Imo, the one I posted is quite nice for a vivid blue. I have seen worse (just go one page back!). However, if too pale, you can find darker vivid blues or deep blues which some prefer (they will still have a grey cast), for example:

Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 13-07-48 0 59 carat, Fancy Deep Blue Diamond, Hexagonal Shape, VVS2 C...png

Another darker one:

I find this screenshot kind of funny (sad?) re:GIA grades.
I still find blue diamonds can be charming.
Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 13-04-56 Blue Diamonds Shop Natural Loose Blue Diamond Leibish.png

Of course blue diamonds can be charming. But that stone is not blue. I totally understand a 20ct vivid pink diamond (Winston Pink legacy, for example) selling at 50m. I saw it in person and it was magnificent. Truly a wonderful stone!

But half a million for a pale grey 1ct diamond? I don’t get it, and I don’t get the GIA grade either lol

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you ever seen the Hope? This stone is actually a discernible blue next to that gem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Attachments

• 656B22B1-0FAD-4409-B6A9-A10FFA5A2798.png
    656B22B1-0FAD-4409-B6A9-A10FFA5A2798.png
    680.6 KB · Views: 35

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
For those interested in more info on auction colored diamonds - here is a trove of information-
They provide their opinions on quality (on color, cut), rarity (how often a similar stone enters the market), an alternative grading system to GIA's, and most importantly extra videos/images to drool at.
Some of the info is available publicly in these links.

For the 1.02ct vivid blue diamond I posted above, along with a video of it, they said the following:
Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 14-27-03 Michael Taiber, Author at FCRF.png
Indeed, I have noticed that many modified antique or step cut diamonds have those crushed ice corners pointing inwards with more color concentration, creating uneven color overall.

Of course blue diamonds can be charming. But that stone is not blue. I totally understand a 20ct vivid pink diamond (Winston Pink legacy, for example) selling at 50m. I saw it in person and it was magnificent. Truly a wonderful stone!

But half a million for a pale grey 1ct diamond? I don’t get it, and I don’t get the GIA grade either lol

Oh - I overall I agree with you. Sorry if I made it sound like I think you dislike blue diamonds.
GIA grades sometimes make no sense, especially with blue diamonds which objectively are always greyish compared to what is considered vivid in, say, sapphire or tanzanite.
But what makes less sense to me is the industry and market's attachment to these grades.
In 2005, a scandal showed small-scale bribery in GIA with colored diamond gradings. Not saying this ever happened outside of this case, just some trivia.

Last edited:

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock

Same stone? Unless they have multiple 12ct demantoids lying around

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same stone? Unless they have multiple 12ct demantoids lying around

Yes, probably, and that stone is definitely “basil” green. Love the clarity, tone, cut and dispersion, not to mention the size. The color is a bit yellowish, but demantoids are more beautiful in person.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
AGL prominent to strong CC (80-90% CC, excellent to very good), 2.5ct Russian alexandrite.
Not an easy stone to find with good clarity.
RomanovRussia had a similar 1.3ct one and it was listed for around 35k per carat.

Someone has to buy this only so that in some years their kids can ask on this forum, 'is this a genuine Russian alexandrite?' and for the first time ever, the answer will be yes!

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 01-21-50 Antique Natural 2 50-carat Russian Alexandrite Ring.png

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 01-21-24 Antique Natural 2 50-carat Russian Alexandrite Ring.png

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Eye clean, untreated red beryl that was also a sample in a GIA study.
1.58ct, 31.6k
Color seems very dark red. I would hope its nicer than the poor photos (and that the seller is legit, since its all they have listed). I have seen a few amazing ones in museums. The GIA report pic suggests a ton of extinction, and the material is too special for a recut.
But if I won the jackpot....

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 21-21-35 RED BERYL 1 58 CT FACETED STONE eBay.png

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 21-21-38 RED BERYL 1 58 CT FACETED STONE eBay.png

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
7.5 ct unheated cornflower blue Ceylon sapphire on IG:

1647165486023.png

I've not used the vendor before so don't know how reliable they are, but that stone is a stunner.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
This seller has a few large, fine Mahenge spinels but I think this one is my favorite for the combination of weight, color, and clarity.
8.19ct.160k - ouch.

spinel (4).png spinel (3).png
spinel (1).png

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
7.5 ct unheated cornflower blue Ceylon sapphire on IG:

1647165486023.png

I've not used the vendor before so don't know how reliable they are, but that stone is a stunner.

I have been following them and despite my aversion to purchasing on Instagram, I inquired about some sapphires and the prices were outrageous (to me anyway).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results