shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitare size for 2 ct 5 stone band

Diamonds4

Rough_Rock
Hi -

I currently have a 5 stone 2 ct total weight (non-graduated, so each stone is .40) diamond band that I love. It has round diamonds.

For our 10th year anniversary we are considering buying a new diamond solitaire ring.

What size would look good with my 5 stone band? I was thinking somewhere between 1 ct-1.5 ct round?

My band is low-set, and my ring size is 4.75.

TIA!

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it is personal preference, but I have a 1.5 carat round diamond paired with a 7 stone band of 10 pointers. I tried on up to 20 pointers with mine and I felt like anything above 20 points was overwhelming for my diamond. The best advice is just to go into stores and try on different sized stones and see what you feel comfortable with.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will this diamond be a forever stone, or something you plan on upgrading down the line? If you plan on upgrading, let your budget drive the parameters of the purchase.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my own taste, I wouldn't put a band with a solitaire any smaller than double the band's tcw. a 2ct 5 stone ring is very substantial and will swallow a 1ct solitaire. 40pt stones are around 4.75mm in width. A 1ct stone is only 6.45 mm (I'm averaging out). So the difference in width is only 1.7mm - a width increase of about a third. For my taste - and all taste is individual - that isn't enough differentiation between the two.

And of course there will be people who have a 1ct stone with a 2ctw band who love them - and I say more power to them! But for my taste - no.

Keep in mind, 2ctw of diamonds, made up of 5 stones, will show far more surface area than a regular 2ct diamond. So your 1ct (or even 1.5ct) stone is competing with stones 4.75mm wide for a start - but then add to that almost 24mm in length - and your 1-1.5ct stone is up against it to 'stand out in the crowd.'

I have a band of 15pt stones and I wear it with a 3.61ct solitaire, and the balance looks just right to me. But again - personal taste. My opinion, however, is that by the time you have 2ctw in your five stone, you've committed to wearing it as a right hand ring unless you're a Rockefeller or a Kardashian and can afford the 6/7/8+ ct honker.

Either way, it's a heck of a fun journey and the decision is made to suit your taste alone, so do what you think looks fab, and enjoy!

Good luck! :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unsettled|1466453995|4046011 said:
I think it is personal preference, but I have a 1.5 carat round diamond paired with a 7 stone band of 10 pointers. I tried on up to 20 pointers with mine and I felt like anything above 20 points was overwhelming for my diamond. The best advice is just to go into stores and try on different sized stones and see what you feel comfortable with.

Unsettled - yours is a gorgeous combo! I think the side stones on your 1.5ct stone also stretch out the look of the ering, and helps balance out the 7 stone ring. A beautiful set! :lickout:

Diamonds4

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input! I would keep the new ring forever/long time so it wouldn't be something I would upgrade later.

If I didn't want to go any bigger than 1.5 for a solitare, do you think it would be better to do a 2 or 3 carat 3 stone ring to pair with the 2 carat five stone right? I like the three stone rings as well but wasn't sure how it would look with a 5 stone ring...?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear the 3 stone and 5 stone on different hands. And use my hands a LOT when i talk! :lol: But that's me..., and I'm a nut (or bean)!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I would not make a three stone engagement ring with a 5 stone band that size. Honestly, anyone here with a 5 stone band of 40 pointers wears it as a standalone ring. It will not fit well with an engagement ring because the height of the diamonds in the band will mean it will rub the engagement ring prongs and cut into them unless you wear a band between the two rings. A large diamond band tends to make the engagement ring diamond look smaller. I have a 2.3 ct diamond and I think it is too small to wear with a 5 stone band that size. I would say you'd need at least a 2.5 ct center stone or higher (and still, almost everyone I know here still chooses smaller stones like under 20 points for the wedding band even up to 5 carat e-rings). If you want to go with 1-2 cts for the e-ring stone, I would say wear the 5 stone band on your other hand and get no larger than 10 point stones in your wedding band. I once had a 10 point band (7 stones at 10 points each) with a 1.6 ct diamond. I'll post a picture so you can get an idea of the scale.

_37591.jpg

new_rings_5.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a two carat five stone band and I would personally never pair it with an engagement ring. This band was truly meant to be a stand alone band. I have a three stone engagement ring with a 2.22 carat center stone and would never put these two rings together. You simply lose the effect of both rings. It sounds like a lot of bling and it is but it is not pretty by any means - gaudy is much more like it.

I would use the five stone as a RHR, buy the solitaire of my choice and choose a diamond band that is sized to look very nice with whatever center stone size you choose.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know several women that have threestone rings with 1plus to 1.3ct center with like .30 to .35 sides (everyone got engaged in the '80's...to '90. that was common among my friends? Several of them have a five stone with like .30 to .35 pointers. Some all diamonds and some sapphire or ruby and diamond. Most have an eternity too. They stack all three. It was common. Some days I like the look and other days I find it chaotic. You don't know where to look.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the picture of your 5 stone. I personally think it would look terrific with a at least 2.5ish solitaire.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1466467844|4046119 said:
I have a two carat five stone band and I would personally never pair it with an engagement ring. This band was truly meant to be a stand alone band. I have a three stone engagement ring with a 2.22 carat center stone and would never put these two rings together. You simply lose the effect of both rings. It sounds like a lot of bling and it is but it is not pretty by any means - gaudy is much more like it.

I would use the five stone as a RHR, buy the solitaire of my choice and choose a diamond band that is sized to look very nice with whatever center stone size you choose.

You read my mind! I was going to try to reach you to comment since you had the 2 ct band and an over 2 ct e-ring!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!
I have a 1 ct solitaire and a half eternity band with .10 ct stones. I never wear them together, I think it looks unbalanced. So I wouldnt even recommend that. I would get a band with 0.05 stones for a 1 ct solitaire. Personal preference... As some have posted already, you could wear your current ring as a rhr. I wear both my rings every day but on different hands.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regardless of style and taste I just wanted to emphasise how fast a substantial band can harm your solitaire's prongs. I have a 1.1 ct center stone in my 3 stone e-ring, that is set fairly high and an 18 x 0.33 ct very low set and comfy u-style eternity as right hand ring (that I've had for about 6,5 years). Both set in platinum .

The few times I've switched the eternity to my right hand without a spacer- think unexpected swelling while travelling, unexpected intense activity / heavy lifting with my right hand ( while shopping etc.) were enough to eat a visible dent into my center stone prongs...

With 0.4 stones each in a band, the depth of each diamond determines a minimum height that will pose a risk most of the time....

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1466471157|4046141 said:
MissGotRocks|1466467844|4046119 said:

You read my mind! I was going to try to reach you to comment since you had the 2 ct band and an over 2 ct e-ring!

Reach out any time - I'm happy to help if I can!

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1466456421|4046038 said:

Unsettled - yours is a gorgeous combo! I think the side stones on your 1.5ct stone also stretch out the look of the ering, and helps balance out the 7 stone ring. A beautiful set! :lickout:

Well, aren't you sweet! Thank you so much! I am thinking of a reset. But I can't really settle on anything.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pic of my 2.59 solitaire with 5 stone 30 pointers. I'm 4.5.

I seldom wore it that way. I felt like the five stone totally drew the attention away from my solitaire. I only did it when I felt like the "wall of bling" look.

_1117.jpg

So to answer your question, if you were to wear a 40 pointer 5 stone, with a solitaire, I would go for a 3 carat.

Below is a 3.04 carat with the 30 pointers.

_4305.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unsettled|1466564089|4046530 said:

Well, aren't you sweet! Thank you so much! I am thinking of a reset. But I can't really settle on anything.

But..but...your set is perfect!! Doooon't dooooo iiiiittttt!

(I'm sorry - did I say that out loud??)

Standing by my first comment here; your set is GORGEOUS! :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1466573175|4046573 said:
Here is a pic of my 2.59 solitaire with 5 stone 30 pointers. I'm 4.5.

I seldom wore it that way. I felt like the five stone totally drew the attention away from my solitaire. I only did it when I felt like the "wall of bling" look.

_1117.jpg

So to answer your question, if you were to wear a 40 pointer 5 stone, with a solitaire, I would go for a 3 carat.

Below is a 3.04 carat with the 30 pointers.

haha I'm one of the unusual people who LOVES that look. I think ti's gorgeous as a set, and think the eternity looks awesome with the soli. But totally understand how others would feel like it's "too much". I just like over the top things I guess :dance:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a couple of my 3.61 solitaire with 2 eternity bands I own. The bar set 7 stone ring has 15 pointers and the eternity band has 13.5pt stones. So both are waaaaaay smaller than yours - but I think the balance is there. And, while I love a 'wall of bling' look, I want it to be balanced and to show all pieces to best advantage.

But - again - this is personal taste; there's no right or wrong here.

img_11980.jpg

img_11981.jpg

img_11982.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just have to say, love the rings in this thread! :love:

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1466703059|4047170 said:
unsettled|1466564089|4046530 said:

But..but...your set is perfect!! Doooon't dooooo iiiiittttt!

(I'm sorry - did I say that out loud??)

Standing by my first comment here; your set is GORGEOUS! :wavey:

I feel like my engagement ring is just so delicate, and I don't love delicate. I want a setting with more presence on my hand. I think. I am obviously very wishy washy and can't really commit!

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds4|1466448867|4045990 said:
Hi -

I currently have a 5 stone 2 ct total weight (non-graduated, so each stone is .40) diamond band that I love. It has round diamonds.

For our 10th year anniversary we are considering buying a new diamond solitaire ring.

What size would look good with my 5 stone band? I was thinking somewhere between 1 ct-1.5 ct round?

My band is low-set, and my ring size is 4.75.

TIA!

I think the solitaire should be at least 3.5 ct to avoid being overshadowed.

You may find Bliss' threads very helpful. Her finger size 4.5, but her rings are 4.75. She has photos of a FIC 2.73 ct GIA F VS2 and a 3.98 ct GIA G SI2 (10.3 mm) solitaire with her five-stone (0.37-0.38 ct per stone, F-G VS2-SI1). She even has a Vatche 2.16 cttw GIA I/J VS enhancer to turn her solitaire into a three-stone!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-id-jewelry-5-stone-ring-hubba-hubba.138853/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-id-jewelry-5-stone-ring-hubba-hubba.138853/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-73-soltaire-or-three-stone-get-both-thanks-idj.169812/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-73-soltaire-or-three-stone-get-both-thanks-idj.169812/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-98-rb-in-vatche-u113-thanks-to-idj.184808/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-98-rb-in-vatche-u113-thanks-to-idj.184808/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-tiffany-repro-from-id-jewelry-fun-stuff.168709/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vatche-tiffany-repro-from-id-jewelry-fun-stuff.168709/[/URL]

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a 2ct 5-stone and a 1.08ct solitaire that I occasionally wear together. My solitaire is in a vintage repro Jabel setting that makes it look larger, though. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic...

_4539.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results