shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire Necklace: How Big Is Too Big?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I’m hunting for the perfect size floating fixed diamond necklace. My lifestyle is very casual, I work in an administrative assistant role, and I’m mid-40s and petite with a small frame. I’m limiting my search to a trusted local jeweler. Below is a 0.69-carat I tried on today. Is it too much for casual daytime? They’re very kindly bringing in some smaller sizes (0.25, 0.3, 0.4), but I am falling in love with this one even though it feels HUGE. Any thoughts? Thanks, folks! IMG_1154.png

That looks lovely on you!!!

I have also had a pendant search on my list so I’ve been casually reading about ideal size. It’s so funny, people all have different ideas.

Some of the preferences I’ve seen are for a size between your studs and ER. Others take into account your frame and size.

I say go with your gut. If this one feels right (and huge) now, it will be perfect. Diamonds shrink alarmingly quickly. If you can purchase from a place with an upgrade option, that’s always a nice way to future-proof!

dnfd

Rough_Rock
That looks lovely on you!!!

I have also had a pendant search on my list so I’ve been casually reading about ideal size. It’s so funny, people all have different ideas.

Some of the preferences I’ve seen are for a size between your studs and ER. Others take into account your frame and size.

I say go with your gut. If this one feels right (and huge) now, it will be perfect. Diamonds shrink alarmingly quickly. If you can purchase from a place with an upgrade option, that’s always a nice way to future-proof!

Ha! I love the idea that if it feels huge now it will be perfect:) And I appreciate another reminder to ask about an upgrade policy! You folks are the best! Good luck in your search. What sizes are you considering?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Ha! I love the idea that if it feels huge now it will be perfect:) And I appreciate another reminder to ask about an upgrade policy! You folks are the best! Good luck in your search. What sizes are you considering?

An upgrade policy is always a good idea!

I’m not as far down the path as considering size. I’m more trying to decide if a pendant should even be my next piece or whether I should continue my bracelet addiction. (You can *see* bracelets, you see.) :lol-2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An upgrade policy is always a good idea!

I’m not as far down the path as considering size. I’m more trying to decide if a pendant should even be my next piece or whether I should continue my bracelet addiction. (You can *see* bracelets, you see.) :lol-2:

A diamond tennis bracelet? Would love to hear your thoughts!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I'm in a
I love the description of perfectly respectable! That’s exactly what I’m after. My spouse and I both work for a nonprofit and are in the publishing field, so we don’t make a ton. I inherited money from a distant relative, which is the only way I could afford things like this. I don’t want to look out of place at the office. I confess I really do want a natural stone, but I did consider lab. Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

I'm in a similar situation. But with the proliferation of lab diamonds, I don't think you have to worry about a (natural) diamond looking extravagant anymore. Because lab diamonds are so relatively affordable, people are getting used to seeing big diamonds on people who may not have tons of extra money for jewelry. Nowadays you can probably just buy whatever size you like (and can afford) and not worry about people thinking you spent a zillion dollars on a necklace.

If you want people to think it's natural, not a lab diamond, you should probably limit the size. But that's a different question.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This is a great size!

cheers--Sharon

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Mine is a K VS1 CBI from the now closed High Performance Diamonds.

It rocks and I wear it most everyday. The one you’re considering looks nice.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
I think the size is a perfectly effortless and casually elegant look on you! At that size it has enough presence to stand alone, but also plays well in a layered stack. I have a 0.91 ct solitaire necklace that I wear casually and have been happy with the size, personally (I am also petite).

dnfd

Rough_Rock
I'm in a

I'm in a similar situation. But with the proliferation of lab diamonds, I don't think you have to worry about a (natural) diamond looking extravagant anymore. Because lab diamonds are so relatively affordable, people are getting used to seeing big diamonds on people who may not have tons of extra money for jewelry. Nowadays you can probably just buy whatever size you like (and can afford) and not worry about people thinking you spent a zillion dollars on a necklace.

If you want people to think it's natural, not a lab diamond, you should probably limit the size. But that's a different question.

I think I'd prefer people to think it's not a real diamond;-) What size are you considering? Glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking about how people perceive things. And very, very good point how lab diamonds have shattered the old assumption that a big diamond equals big money!

dnfd

Rough_Rock

Mine is a K VS1 CBI from the now closed High Performance Diamonds.

It rocks and I wear it most everyday. The one you’re considering looks nice.

That is exquisite! I really like how the bezel is constructed, too.

dnfd

Rough_Rock
I think the size is a perfectly effortless and casually elegant look on you! At that size it has enough presence to stand alone, but also plays well in a layered stack. I have a 0.91 ct solitaire necklace that I wear casually and have been happy with the size, personally (I am also petite).

Glad to hear from another petite person:) Thank you for the kind words! I bet yours is beautiful.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried on the smaller stones? Please let us know what you decide and share photos. We’re rooting for you to find your perfect match!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think I'd prefer people to think it's not a real diamond;-) What size are you considering? Glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking about how people perceive things. And very, very good point how lab diamonds have shattered the old assumption that a big diamond equals big money!

I meant I'm in a similar work situation (nonprofit) with additional resources from outside my job, so I have worried about what my colleagues would think about my jewelry. Like you, I'd rather they assume it's all fake! I don't have a diamond (or diamondlike) pendant, but I do have TONS of antique treasures, some more showy than others. I wear them, and for the most part everybody politely ignores them.

However, I might be getting a pass for being a lovable old weirdo--I'm approaching retirement age. (With no intention of retiring!)

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is exquisite! I really like how the bezel is constructed, too.

Thank you. @Wink ’s former bench (his jewelry store) did it. It’s platinum, as is the chain. It’s pretty perfect. I wear it daily. It’s funny (or maybe not) but my 2 favorite pieces are from him. This necklace and my 5 stone CBI ring. My photo is bad but his glamour ones are good.

image006.jpeg image006.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image005.jpeg
    image005.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image008.jpeg
    image008.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 7

dnfd

Rough_Rock
Have you tried on the smaller stones? Please let us know what you decide and share photos. We’re rooting for you to find your perfect match!

The shop sourced 0.25 and 0.33 stones for me to try, but I couldn't get the 0.69 out of my head. I bought it yesterday! They're changing the clasp to a lobster clasp, and I pick it up tomorrow. I'm extremely excited!

dnfd

Rough_Rock
I meant I'm in a similar work situation (nonprofit) with additional resources from outside my job, so I have worried about what my colleagues would think about my jewelry. Like you, I'd rather they assume it's all fake! I don't have a diamond (or diamondlike) pendant, but I do have TONS of antique treasures, some more showy than others. I wear them, and for the most part everybody politely ignores them.

However, I might be getting a pass for being a lovable old weirdo--I'm approaching retirement age. (With no intention of retiring!)

Whoops! Apologies for my misunderstanding. I'm really happy to hear from someone in such a similar circumstance and who would rather just have people assume all the bling is fake. And now I look forward to looking through your post history at some of your antique findings:) The cameo in your avatar is stunning!

dnfd

Rough_Rock
Thank you. @Wink ’s former bench (his jewelry store) did it. It’s platinum, as is the chain. It’s pretty perfect. I wear it daily. It’s funny (or maybe not) but my 2 favorite pieces are from him. This necklace and my 5 stone CBI ring. My photo is bad but his glamour ones are good.

image006.jpeg image006.jpeg

That ring is spectacular! I'm just starting to learn people's usernames and histories. Where was wink's shop? I believe that user @oldminer is based where I am in Philadelphia:) While I love the glamor shots, I always prefer seeing how people wear their jewelry. The ring looks beautiful on you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring is spectacular! I'm just starting to learn people's usernames and histories. Where was wink's shop? I believe that user @oldminer is based where I am in Philadelphia:) While I love the glamor shots, I always prefer seeing how people wear their jewelry. The ring looks beautiful on you!

Wink closed his shop. He is still around PS in another diamond related profession! But not making jeweler anymore I believe.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

His jewelry store was in Idaho, I believe.

Thank you! The ring does glam up my 64 year old hands. CBIs were like Whiteflash’s ACAs, Victor Canera’s ideal cut stones, etc. they’re just spectacular.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new purchase! Wishing you many years of happy, healthy wearing. <3

And - agreeing with everyone else on this thread - it looks perfect on you. :wavey:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shop sourced 0.25 and 0.33 stones for me to try, but I couldn't get the 0.69 out of my head. I bought it yesterday! They're changing the clasp to a lobster clasp, and I pick it up tomorrow. I'm extremely excited!

Congratulations on your purchase! I also believe that this size is perfect for your lifestyle. And i have an idea! Why don't you buy the 0.25 - 0.30 ct also, if you have the funds? That way, you can alternate between the two and for more special occasions you can also stack them!!!
Please come back with more photos of your beautiful pendant once you pick it up from your jeweler!

dnfd

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your new purchase! Wishing you many years of happy, healthy wearing. <3

And - agreeing with everyone else on this thread - it looks perfect on you. :wavey:

Thank you so very much:)

dnfd

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your purchase! I also believe that this size is perfect for your lifestyle. And i have an idea! Why don't you buy the 0.25 - 0.30 ct also, if you have the funds? That way, you can alternate between the two and for more special occasions you can also stack them!!!
Please come back with more photos of your beautiful pendant once you pick it up from your jeweler!

Thank you! Getting 2 sizes is a lovely idea. I will definitely think on it. As for pictures, they’re incoming:)

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
GORGEOUS! What a beautiful chain, too! Thanks for sharing photos!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love how "more diamonds" is the solution to most problems for veteran PSers :lol-2:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous and perfect!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results