shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire Necklace: How Big Is Too Big?

dnfd

Rough_Rock
I’m hunting for the perfect size floating fixed diamond necklace. My lifestyle is very casual, I work in an administrative assistant role, and I’m mid-40s and petite with a small frame. I’m limiting my search to a trusted local jeweler. Below is a 0.69-carat I tried on today. Is it too much for casual daytime? They’re very kindly bringing in some smaller sizes (0.25, 0.3, 0.4), but I am falling in love with this one even though it feels HUGE. Any thoughts? Thanks, folks! IMG_1154.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not at all too big. You could even go larger unless it makes you self conscience. Make sure the jeweler you are buying from will offer a generous upgrade policy. Diamond shrinkage syndrome sets in quickly! If the jeweler doesn’t offer upgrades, come back and consider some diamonds from trusted vendors here.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I have a 2 carat and would go bigger if I had the $$$$.
That said, I think 1 carat is a perfect size for most people.
While it’s important to support local business, do have a look online and check other vendors and their prices. If you are open to lab grown your $$$ will go a lot further.
And I’m not a fan of either very fine chains or box link chains.
The former because they can break more easily and a tiny clasp is the biggest pain there is and box link because if it breaks it can’t be fixed.
For my money I think a snake link gives the best “presence” on the neck and a rope chain gives biggest presence for lowest $$$.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You came to the wrong place if you want conservative judgements about size! I think that size looks perfectly respectable, not too big. Probably just right for what you are after.

Do consider lab stones if natural is lot important to you. Can save a lot of money! I like natural diamonds but just want to throw it out there if you haven’t considered it.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
IMHO it looks perfect and would fit in just fine with how you describe yourself and your lifestyle.

I have a 0.33 soli and it looks good above a neckline but it can get lost when worn over a sweater. You might be happier with the 0.69 even though it seems big to you now.

Reactions: caf

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks lovely, not over the top at all!

I'm not a blingy bling bling person though I do love diamonds, most of mine are of a similar scale, around the 1-1.3 ct mark. My everyday necklace is a 1.12ct OEC bezel and I don't think it looks at all excessive.

That said, you're probably asking the wrong audience here, haha!

I am actually mulling over the same question as you, only with a 2.06ct stone...gah.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
The 0.69 looks perfectly appropriate for casual daytime to me.

Bianca201

Rough_Rock
A couple months ago I bought a diamond pendant, and I love it. I wasn't sure what size to go with - my diamond studs are like 0.15 each and my diamond ring is 1.23. I didn't want the pendant to be too small, because I know DSS is real, but I didn't want it to overpower my ring.

I ultimately went with a 0.77 round brilliant. It seemed HUGE when it arrived. Two months later it still seems big.... but perfect. And I wear it 24x7, never take it off. Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome made it nearly the perfect size.

And the great thing is that my engagement ring looks gigantic by comparison. It kind of reversed the DSS that had set in. #winning

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything around 1 ct is perfect!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I love it on you! Perfect for everyday casual wear!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful on you!

I have a 2 ct myself and think it is the perfect size for me, not at all too big. I echo trying lab.

Good luck!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
perfect size for how you describe your life.

dnfd

Rough_Rock
It is not at all too big. You could even go larger unless it makes you self conscience. Make sure the jeweler you are buying from will offer a generous upgrade policy. Diamond shrinkage syndrome sets in quickly! If the jeweler doesn’t offer upgrades, come back and consider some diamonds from trusted vendors here.

Thank you! I have thought of the dreaded DSS and would like to avoid it:) Thank you for the tip to ask about upgrades!

dnfd

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have a 2 carat and would go bigger if I had the $$$$.
That said, I think 1 carat is a perfect size for most people.
While it’s important to support local business, do have a look online and check other vendors and their prices. If you are open to lab grown your $$$ will go a lot further.
And I’m not a fan of either very fine chains or box link chains.
The former because they can break more easily and a tiny clasp is the biggest pain there is and box link because if it breaks it can’t be fixed.
For my money I think a snake link gives the best “presence” on the neck and a rope chain gives biggest presence for lowest $$$.

I have looked at Whiteflash, Blue Nile, and James Allen. The price from my jeweler is better than theirs for comparable size and specs:) I appreciate the input about chain type. I am new to fine jewelry and am grateful for the guidance!

dnfd

Rough_Rock
I love the description of perfectly respectable! That’s exactly what I’m after. My spouse and I both work for a nonprofit and are in the publishing field, so we don’t make a ton. I inherited money from a distant relative, which is the only way I could afford things like this. I don’t want to look out of place at the office. I confess I really do want a natural stone, but I did consider lab. Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

dnfd

Rough_Rock
Mine is 1.2ct (former e ring) and I love the size! I don’t think the .69 is too big and looks beautiful IMG_4077.jpeg

Your necklace is beautiful! I guess we’re always our own worst critic. Seeing your necklace, I would never think it’s too large or flashy. (And it looks heavenly with the Alhambra! You wear them so well together!)

dnfd

Rough_Rock
IMHO it looks perfect and would fit in just fine with how you describe yourself and your lifestyle.

I have a 0.33 soli and it looks good above a neckline but it can get lost when worn over a sweater. You might be happier with the 0.69 even though it seems big to you now.

That is an extremely important point about getting lost in certain tops. I love that this necklace looks great with that kind of shirt. My jeweler is kindly bringing in a 0.3 for me to see. Maybe we’ll match!

dnfd

Rough_Rock
I think it looks lovely, not over the top at all!

I'm not a blingy bling bling person though I do love diamonds, most of mine are of a similar scale, around the 1-1.3 ct mark. My everyday necklace is a 1.12ct OEC bezel and I don't think it looks at all excessive.

That said, you're probably asking the wrong audience here, haha!

I am actually mulling over the same question as you, only with a 2.06ct stone...gah.

OECs are breathtaking! Would you feel comfortable sharing a picture? And what were your thoughts trying on 2.06? I bet it’s gorgeous. Let us know what you choose!

dnfd

Rough_Rock
A couple months ago I bought a diamond pendant, and I love it. I wasn't sure what size to go with - my diamond studs are like 0.15 each and my diamond ring is 1.23. I didn't want the pendant to be too small, because I know DSS is real, but I didn't want it to overpower my ring.

I ultimately went with a 0.77 round brilliant. It seemed HUGE when it arrived. Two months later it still seems big.... but perfect. And I wear it 24x7, never take it off. Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome made it nearly the perfect size.

And the great thing is that my engagement ring looks gigantic by comparison. It kind of reversed the DSS that had set in. #winning

What a lovely happy ending! I confess I’m now wondering about earrings to match. A fun problem to have;-)

dnfd

Rough_Rock
I think it looks beautiful on you!

I have a 2 ct myself and think it is the perfect size for me, not at all too big. I echo trying lab.

Good luck!

I guess I have to get used to the size. 2ct must be beautiful! Please post a picture if you’re inclined:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results