shape
carat
color
clarity

Sold!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2006 10:03:00 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
Cehra,

I''m CONFUSED! I thought this was an ering upgrade. Why not put it in a basket setting leaving the focus on the stone and getting that pretty band to go with it? With that combo people won''t think you''re engaged, they''ll think you''re married.

Of course I really like the split shank design also.
No, it''s not an e-ring upgrade. I never GOT an e-ring. I''ve been waiting for 15 years for one! And now in a way its too late... My wedding ring (which I will *not* trade in for something else) is a yellow gold band. I did get a channel set anniversary ring (10 .05ers aka 1/2 carat) for my second so I wore a gold band and a gold band with diamonds across it... my plan was to get a gold band with channel set .05ers with a 3/4 carat oval in the center... hehehe but I don''t like the way the channel set bugs my finger when I swell even a little... so I decided to wear my wedding band on my right hand (which is appropriate as it was my great grandmothers and she wore it on her right and I wore it on my right until I was married and moved it), wear my ann band on occasion or any of the other rings I''ve gotten like the amethyst for 5th etc. on my right... and just have ONE ring to rule them all on my left. I want the simplicity of having one ring and I do not want to replace my wedding band. Besides, I''m doing this in white gold and not yellow gold... I just want the ring to not look like I''m engaged and waiting for another ring to join it. I don''t care if it looks like what everyone else has, it can be different, even a bit cocktailly, as long as it doesn''t look like I''m a bride to be lol If I did that one I posted above that is 4mm wide with the blue stone I''d likely have a 1mm plain band added to each side to give the illusion of 3 bands. I just don''t want the hassle of three bands LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this one too! I wonder what pattern my designer will come up with!

rg1853-2.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
omg I love this ring but there''s no way the hub will agree to another 19k!!!!! bahahahaha!!!

18VV18.jpg

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Cehra-

I don''t post much (but lurk a lot
1.gif
), but I wanted to say that I love your stone!!! It has so much personality!

Regarding your setting, have you looked at Greenlake Jewelry? http://www.greenlakejewelry.com I lusted after many of their rings when I was starting my e-ring search. They do custom design, and many of their rings has fantastic engraving and milgrain detailing. They''re located in Seattle. This ring of theirs made me think of your thread.

MTG_A_10064.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2006 2:11:57 PM
Author: turtledazzle
Cehra-

I don't post much (but lurk a lot
1.gif
), but I wanted to say that I love your stone!!! It has so much personality!

Regarding your setting, have you looked at Greenlake Jewelry? http://www.greenlakejewelry.com I lusted after many of their rings when I was starting my e-ring search. They do custom design, and many of their rings has fantastic engraving and milgrain detailing. They're located in Seattle. This ring of theirs made me think of your thread.
Why yes, yes I have ;-) Actually that's the jeweler I've selected for my ring! I live about 3 hours from there and hopefully we'll be going up there this weekend! I love that their stuff is not only elegant it is very unique and they do hand engraving and hand filigree. I'm trying to not give the designer too much info on the actual design of the side stuff because I want to see what she comes up with... but if I don't like it I want to have some ideas as well.

One of my biggest fence sitting things is I don't know if I want it very symetrical or more free form. They both attract me. What do you think?

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2006 2:21:08 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Why yes, yes I have ;-) Actually that''s the jeweler I''ve selected for my ring! I live about 3 hours from there and hopefully we''ll be going up there this weekend! I love that their stuff is not only elegant it is very unique and they do hand engraving and hand filigree. I''m trying to not give the designer too much info on the actual design of the side stuff because I want to see what she comes up with... but if I don''t like it I want to have some ideas as well.

One of my biggest fence sitting things is I don''t know if I want it very symetrical or more free form. They both attract me. What do you think?
Doh! That''s funny. I honestly didn''t realize that you had selected them (I think I missed the first page of this thread) -- but I obviously think you''ve made a great decision!!! It''s great that you''re within driving distance.

As far as symmetrical versus free-form, I vote for symmetrical -- but I think that symmetrical reflects my own personality much better. Free form may take the focus/beauty away from your stone ~ but if you like it, then go for it. I''m sure whatever you end up with will be beautiful. The rings on Greenlake''s site are some of the prettiest I''ve seen (but I love filigree and engraving, so I''m likely biased in that respect as well). I''m sure the designer will come up with some fantastic ideas!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2006 2:41:14 PM
Author: turtledazzle

Date: 9/11/2006 2:21:08 PM

Why yes, yes I have ;-) Actually that''s the jeweler I''ve selected for my ring! I live about 3 hours from there and hopefully we''ll be going up there this weekend! I love that their stuff is not only elegant it is very unique and they do hand engraving and hand filigree. I''m trying to not give the designer too much info on the actual design of the side stuff because I want to see what she comes up with... but if I don''t like it I want to have some ideas as well.

One of my biggest fence sitting things is I don''t know if I want it very symetrical or more free form. They both attract me. What do you think?
Doh! That''s funny. I honestly didn''t realize that you had selected them (I think I missed the first page of this thread) -- but I obviously think you''ve made a great decision!!! It''s great that you''re within driving distance.

As far as symmetrical versus free-form, I vote for symmetrical -- but I think that symmetrical reflects my own personality much better. Free form may take the focus/beauty away from your stone ~ but if you like it, then go for it. I''m sure whatever you end up with will be beautiful. The rings on Greenlake''s site are some of the prettiest I''ve seen (but I love filigree and engraving, so I''m likely biased in that respect as well). I''m sure the designer will come up with some fantastic ideas!
Yeah I think I''ll want symmetrical from one side of the right to the other, but I''m not sure if I want it from left to right if you''re just looking at one side. She said I''d get sketches tomorrow or wed but I''m guessing it won''t be wed with the amount of schtuff I''ve given her to look at! lmao!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just have to say that I just shot rainbows at my bathroom ceiling off of a beam that came through trees and my window and screen that was 5 inches long!!! The sun didn''t last in that position but I just have to get a shot of that sometime. I swear those big facets are the bomb. Almost makes me want a 5 carat diamond that has like 6 pavillion mains and 60% LGF lmao!!!! Big facets are so underrated in this industry. Not that small facets don''t do wonders (I have four of those as well and pinfire is so cool!) but those huge chunk facets? wowza!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
warning... various goofy stories, bragging, etc ahead ;-)

hehehe... I went to one of those BBB biddle banks whatever places today and it was so funny... I go in there, ask if they have semi mounts, the woman asks for what size, I tell her she gets flustered and gets the guy who comes and starts showing me stuff with this pursed lip sort of bored thing going on and after about oh 4 minutes of me asking things like if the heads can be switched out etc. he makes this stern comment about how I really need to have my stone picked out (I''d already told him I did and the size but I don''t think he believed me) so I pull out the stone and hand it to him and turn away again to look and he looks at it (I''m ignoring HIM now but can see him out of the corner of my eye) and he pulls out his loupe and looks and looks and looks and gets a pad and lays it on the pad and starts telling me about the settings in earnest full of smiles and tells me it is a wonderfully cut, beautiful unique stone blah blah blah and this setting would be so perfect blah blah and I was just like yeah you thought I was just a lookie loo ya dork!

The first store I went into, started talking to the woman about my stone and mounts etc and the other salesman guy gave me this *weird* look and said, "What store do you work at" and I''m like dude, I came here to get my son''s build a bear fixed and look at mountings LOL I guess he thought I knew too much ;-) I told him I was flattered but I don''t think he believed me when I said I didn''t work for a store... he thought I was a spy! lol

Another store didn''t have much to offer but the woman there totally went gaga for my stone and spent no kidding 20 minutes looking at it under high power *trying* to find inclusions and not able to and just digging on the cut of the stone and telling me how gorgeous it is. Every store I went into I expressed doubt, showed the flaws in the stone, and suggested that I might be happy with a round ideal and they all said oh no, this is unique etc.

One other store did have a 1 carat H&A and a 1 carat Leo that I compared side by side and I liked the H&A better... she said I should stick it under the counter and sure enough the leo held its brilliance in the shade far more. So on a kick I held my stone under the counter and had to tell the girl to come look - and she''s like omg it looks like an argyle sock! LOL It might not have been a bright white circle, but the colors reflecting in it and the pattern looked like argyle and she''s right! Now I can''t look at my stone and NOT see argyle!!!! lol!! So I looked at it through an H&A viewer and it was soooo cooool it looked like it was a Matrix diamond! No HorA to be seen anywhere, but it was insane! it was like a metropolous of different levels and angles where as the H&A diamond pretty much just had the one layer to focus on. Every layer on my stone was a different pattern kind of like a kaleidoscope! Too cool!!

So the last guy I went to had a ring I liked, totally not what I was looking for at *all*... but the shanks came together in kind of a U near the stone... and I really didn''t like that look but the U was the *exact* shape of my stone. It was 9mm at the top so it was almost the exact length of my stone also (4mm in back) and I fear it might be too modern but the setting looks like it was MADE for my diamond. No joke. He said he was going to send me a pic but I think I want to go back and get a pic with my diamond in it. Of course my diamond looks SOOOOOOOO YELLLOOOWWWW and it''s driving me nuts. Not because I wish my stone was lighter but I wish the diamonds and metal were yellower... now I can get white gold that isn''t plated so that covers that, but the melee in that ring were I/J and they stood out as so white next to my ring (granted they''re tiny and round but still) so what do I do? do I need like m melee? BTW I saw a piece of non rhodium plated wg today and it was perfect. It was like gold and plat had a baby! Just right for my stone!!

I held my stone against several serious contenders today and mine had JUST as much sparkle and scint and fire as the best rounds. I was starting to doubt again... I would be in a light I didn''t get so much and I''d be like I bet a round would be better but so far I haven''t met a round that out performed my stone side by side in the same light. I''m sure there''s one out there but it''d have to be some freaking *perfect* 3 carat and I KNOW I can''t afford that LOL And even still, would it throw off fire like mine by moonlight and throw 6'' rainbows on my ceiling by the morning light in the bathroom?

So yeah, i''m still sold... but incidentally the last guy intuitively knew a lot about me and guessed so much right and he asked why I hadn''t been in to bargain with him and I told him my story and finding PS and he actually has read here before! He took a copy of my GIA cert so he could try to find me something ''better'' for less money... I really doubt he will but what does it hurt for him to spend his time if he knows I''m not looking for a stone LOL I don''t even know what I''d do differently... I *might* have it more square if I didn''t have to give up the 9.5mm length and could still afford it... but I don''t want to go down in size, I guess I''m a whore LOL!

BTW what is a ''big'' stone? I looked at a 3.14 carat at BBB and said now that''s what I need and he said, "Yours is big enough and it''s beautiful" and I was like yeah okay so it''s big enough I guess... but then it occurred to me that *none* of the settings were for almost 3 carat stones... and am I seriously nuts enough to think that I deserve a stone this large then I wondered well how large IS large anyway? A carat? Two? I think of large as like 4 carats plus. Am I that far off? LMAO!! Anyway... that''s enough ramble for now, good to get it off my chest hehehe... I don''t know why I feel such a need for reassurance on this stone... one minute I love it and one minute I''m like eh... but I think the "eh" part is some sort of super human er super diamond expectation... I have this idea that it''s just going to be I dunno and even the best diamonds just don''t do THAT and mine does it just as well as any other LOL

pic of "Argyle" LMAO

cbOMC45.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra,

Thanks for your stories. I LOVE reading them.

The more I look at pictures of your stone the more and more I like it. I think that''s because you''re showing North South in the temporary mounting now in every photo!

You said in an earlier post if anything you''d want this stone to be more rectangular. Did you just say you''d like it more square????

Could you show us a photo of your stone in this mounting you''re thinking of? I know you don''t have one...Please drive back to the store with your camera
21.gif
. I want to see what you mean about the stones in the setting being so white. Your stone really doesn''t look yellow to me.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
wow-this stone is amazing.

I can''t wait to see it''s permanent home.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me again
26.gif

I just went and looked at your diamond''s details!

It looks really perfect to me on paper VG/VG and the slightly LARGE culet and even the faint flour! Oh and the medium girdle and the L/W ratio.

These are some of the things I''ve been looking for too. Having seen your photos I know I''m on the right track. It''s just that cushions can LOOK so different from one another. Many of the photos at JA or GOG show cushions that I don''t like. Ususally the culet just isn''t big enough for me.

Oh and did I mention how BIG your diamond is??!! 9.5mm!!!

Please keep posting about your setting options, photos too. I enjoy the stories, and can''t wait to see what you end up with.
9.gif
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2006 12:19:51 PM
Cehra,

Thanks for your stories. I LOVE reading them.

The more I look at pictures of your stone the more and more I like it. I think that''s because you''re showing North South in the temporary mounting now in every photo!

You said in an earlier post if anything you''d want this stone to be more rectangular. Did you just say you''d like it more square????

Could you show us a photo of your stone in this mounting you''re thinking of? I know you don''t have one...Please drive back to the store with your camera
21.gif
. I want to see what you mean about the stones in the setting being so white. Your stone really doesn''t look yellow to me.
Good timing on this! I *just* got the photos from the jeweler... though I just realized that since the U part isn''t connected it is a potential snag issue - possibly? but I have to say the shape of my stone at the corners and the shape of this ring at the Us is *exact*. The ring is 9mm and my stone is 9.5 mm. The shape of the stone, the slope of the curve is identical! Most of the jewelers yesterday insisted that a larger ring would be better, that the small delicate rings would just look ridiculous with a large stone. I''ll try to photoshop my stone on LOL

As for more square or not... it''s a tough one, I like the outline of my stone and when it''s in light that it looks white in etc I love the ratio just as it is. But *sometimes* I think I''d rather have the cross than the line... so if I could make the N/S facets larger, keep the corner ones the same and keep the EW ones the same... so basically still have a stone 9.5mm long but maybe 8mm wide instead of 7.5 and add that extra 1/2 mm right into the n/s facets to make them bigger... but I dunno, it''s one of those things... what would you change about your life if you could go back and do it over, but really, how much would it change about who you are and other qualities about yourself you like? If the guy wants to show me a stone like that (more square) I''m willing to look but really I think I''m stuck with this one... hehehe... oh and this pic doesn''t show the stones as being "so white" I don''t know what was up with his photo shoot. But I think I''ll go down there in the next couple days to see if I can get a shot of my stone with the ring. I admit I do like the U things but I don''t think I like the row of princess cuts between them... I mean I do but just after the U part the design doesn''t hold my attention much :/ Maybe it can just be part of a design... I dunno!!! I also have dee jay''s light issue concerns because this is not an ideal round and it is very leaky (but IMO the leaks are all good things and create more wonderful views of the interesting shape!) so I have to figure out how best to capture that... anyway, here''s the two pics he sent. Mind you this is NOT a style I''d choose normally but it just matched my stone like it had been made for it!!!!

Sara003.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
also... he said that he''d take out the prong setting, make the opening a little bigger, and drop in a basket so that the stone sat all the way down. I''m not sure how it would work... not sure I like the setting, but I love the way it curves the same as my stone!

Sara004.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay I suck at photoshop, but you get the idea LMAO!! that is the size of the stone relative to the ring.

Sara005.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaahh I see what you mean about your stone fitting perfectly into this ring. I don''t like the current head. I think I would like it with the basket.

Now those other princ. stones underneath are kind of well extraneous. Don''t know what you could do about them. Maybe they add sparkle?

Thanks for the photos. This will be a tough choice!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2006 12:29:45 PM
Me again
26.gif

I just went and looked at your diamond's details!

It looks really perfect to me on paper VG/VG and the slightly LARGE culet and even the faint flour! Oh and the medium girdle and the L/W ratio.

These are some of the things I've been looking for too. Having seen your photos I know I'm on the right track. It's just that cushions can LOOK so different from one another. Many of the photos at JA or GOG show cushions that I don't like. Ususally the culet just isn't big enough for me.

Oh and did I mention how BIG your diamond is??!! 9.5mm!!!

Please keep posting about your setting options, photos too. I enjoy the stories, and can't wait to see what you end up with.
9.gif
9.gif
this stone at GOG is *exactly* like mine... I mean it's smaller and the ratio is just *slightly* more square at I believe 1.21:1 vs my 1.26:1, and I can't tell you if the cut is angled out like mine, but it LOOKS just like mine, like a twin! It might actually be a bit more balanced without having those *huge* side facets... but the gem advisor thing looked just like my stone... http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2172/

I've got a couple pics to post too... first is that I realized after a while that the plot I wanted to look for was this:

ombplot.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
even though the actual stone looks much more like this:

ombplot2.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
another thing I''ve realized, the facet shape doesn''t mean a whole lot if the stone is smaller, even a carat - it''s just too small to see the details. I can''t really see the details on my 7.5 side.. but on my 9.5 side I sure can. There''s a cushion on here that was I think 11x11 and I think WOW now that''s an upgrade!!! I like the setting too - not the bands but the head... the head is similar to something I had in my head except the corners were entwined... now where was that ring... here we go... I''m just not sure how this would work with a non-square stone... and I don''t know how I feel about the length being so bare like that yeeeks! but I do like this enough that maybe I could work with it... but I like having 8 prongs like this, two in each corner. But in my head I wanted them to overlap... like at the corner to cross over maybe...

goodprongs.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking... if I ever DID want to change around and do a 3 stone ring it might be fun to have stones cut just like mine but *sqare* on either side hehehe

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a question... just looking around for settings and found this from DBL and I don''t get it... my stone is 9.53 x 7.58 x 5.01 and this stone is 9.32 x 7.67 x 5.03 and this stone is listed as 3.21 carats and mine is 2.71 carats - that''s a full half carat!!! where is it hidden? Theirs is .1 wider and mine is .2 longer and I think the depth is neglibible... so where is a half carat hiding?? Both stones are GIA graded.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2006 12:55:27 PM
another thing I''ve realized, the facet shape doesn''t mean a whole lot if the stone is smaller, even a carat - it''s just too small to see the details. I can''t really see the details on my 7.5 side.. but on my 9.5 side I sure can. There''s a cushion on here that was I think 11x11 and I think WOW now that''s an upgrade!!! I like the setting too - not the bands but the head... the head is similar to something I had in my head except the corners were entwined... now where was that ring... here we go... I''m just not sure how this would work with a non-square stone... and I don''t know how I feel about the length being so bare like that yeeeks! but I do like this enough that maybe I could work with it... but I like having 8 prongs like this, two in each corner. But in my head I wanted them to overlap... like at the corner to cross over maybe...
The head on this rins is to die for!!! It think it would look fine with a non-square stone. I bet leon would do a nice job with it.....WOOOWWWW

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
::giggles:: what do you think?

argyle.jpg

swag

Rough_Rock
wow it looks like a nice stone :) congrates.. now im hoping my girl friend doesnt see this post or my budget will double :)
Congrates
36.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 11:24:12 PM

I don't know what you mean about coming to get me if I get too creative LOL Is it an inside joke I'm missing? ... This is the closest I can come to explaining it... picture this, with the stone set to girdle depth, and like a giant bridge or veil over a super high polished finish underneath so that when you look from the sides you see the shadows of the swirls and the rainbows from under the stone (yes my stone 'loses' rainbows through the bottom too depending on the angle!) so it will be 9.5mm at the widest point and taper down to a band that is 4-6mm depending on which direction I go with the designs there... also, the ring is going to be square (much more comfortable) so the flat surface under the stones will really be like a flat mirror (think like a signet ring - I'll post that pic next) but the top will be rounded like in this picture. Lots of filligree and millgrain and random melee diamonds sprinkled around on the veil tucked into swirls and scrolls.
I can't quite picture it exactly, but the ring you had pictured under this post is very pretty! Plus your stone is wonderful!
ETA: well, duh, I guess I could have noticed there were 2 more pages to this thread before I posted.. sorry..
8.gif
I'm way behind!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2006 8:37:32 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl

Date: 9/7/2006 11:24:12 PM

I don''t know what you mean about coming to get me if I get too creative LOL Is it an inside joke I''m missing? ... This is the closest I can come to explaining it... picture this, with the stone set to girdle depth, and like a giant bridge or veil over a super high polished finish underneath so that when you look from the sides you see the shadows of the swirls and the rainbows from under the stone (yes my stone ''loses'' rainbows through the bottom too depending on the angle!) so it will be 9.5mm at the widest point and taper down to a band that is 4-6mm depending on which direction I go with the designs there... also, the ring is going to be square (much more comfortable) so the flat surface under the stones will really be like a flat mirror (think like a signet ring - I''ll post that pic next) but the top will be rounded like in this picture. Lots of filligree and millgrain and random melee diamonds sprinkled around on the veil tucked into swirls and scrolls.
I can''t quite picture it exactly, but the ring you had pictured under this post is very pretty! Plus your stone is wonderful!
ETA: well, duh, I guess I could have noticed there were 2 more pages to this thread before I posted.. sorry..
8.gif
I''m way behind!
LOL! I really liked that idea but two things nixed it... one is that I decided I wanted more light coming in from the sides of the ring so I have to lower the sides a bit... and two those cut out designs look *horrible* with my stone. My stone is very angular in its reflections/refraction pattern on the inside and so far the only thing I''ve found that looks right by it are baguettes... probably because they are SO subdued and so linear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results