shape
carat
color
clarity

Social circles: what size stone would you feel weird about?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Social circles: what size stone would you feel weird abo

I live in New England now. I think over 3 carats would be large, most people here have .50 to 3 carats.

I would prefer a 1 carat ideal XXXXXXX AGS 0000 diamond vs a big stone that is not as brilliant.. Mine engagement ring is now a 1.63 carat, I color, rated AGS 0 MRB.. it's not perfect but it's 29 years mine and its' been reset oodles of times and I cherish it. I bought a 1.33 carat, cushion cut, AGS 0, AVC from GOG and it's in a pendant.. I am rethinking of making it a ring... not sure, then again if either of my sons need a stone whoever get's engaged first can choose which stone the girl wants :) love my sons more than any jewelry. I have 4.5 carat tennis bracelet.. princess studs and mrb studs (both 1.00 TTW).. I'm pretty lucky!

i

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

I currently wear a 2.42ct stone in a halo on a size 4 finger, so my ring is ginormous. It's easily the biggest in my social circle and at work (the next largest size is a 2ct solitaire, and after that a 1.75ct in a French pave halo), but I love it and I wear it 99% of the time. I love my ring and don't feel weird about it at all. I probably wouldn't start feeling weird about a stone size until I got to the 5ct+ range but even then I'd still rock it, just probably not as often.

ETA - I live in the Bay Area as well.

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock

adom|1445949578|3942517 said:
Great discussion.I have enjoyed reading other's thoughts.

Our household went the non-diamond route - .75 center 3 stone 1.11 total with two anniversary channel set bands at a later date.

Instead we retired early and have multiple properties and things with engines - cars, boats, snowmobiles.

Where I live there is no "instead of diamond retire early and buy multiple properties". Forgoing a $15k ring when $150+k a year is barely above poverty wouldn't even scratch the surface of retiring, let alone buying multiple properties. It could cover a few months of rent though lol.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

thebigjdoe|1446140916|3943493 said:

Our household went the non-diamond route - .75 center 3 stone 1.11 total with two anniversary channel set bands at a later date.

Instead we retired early and have multiple properties and things with engines - cars, boats, snowmobiles.

Where I live there is no "instead of diamond retire early and buy multiple properties". Forgoing a $15k ring when $150+k a year is barely above poverty wouldn't even scratch the surface of retiring, let alone buying multiple properties. It could cover a few months of rent though lol.

TRUE. I live in the Bay Area too. Nah... $15K? That could get me a custom closet...

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I've lived long and worked hard for my bling.

It gives me great pleasure.

Yes, my collection and the size of my stones is larger than most of the people I know.

If, on occasion, my wearing it causes offense to people in my social circle or anywhere else for that matter - well, yes, it does make me a tiny bit uncomfortable.

Still doesn't stop me wearing it though. :Up_to_something:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

I don't think this is actually true of anyone. My ring(s) cost less than $15k TOTAL. That's not the difference between retiring at 35 and 65.

At least where I live, NOT buying properties would be the best way to retire early. Two houses here would run me a minimum $1.6M. If I saved that much cash over 30 years versus paying a mortgage...yeah, I could retire at 50.

My husband likes fast things with engines. I like expensive horses. We're never going to retire as long as we can still play with our toys so in the meantime - I'll take the diamonds.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1446141609|3943500 said:

TRUE. I live in the Bay Area too. Nah... $15K? That could get me a custom closet...

Haha that is so true. If I gave up all my bling it still wouldn't make a difference re retirement. My dh and I have expensive hobbies that is true but we are smart about it and it adds to the quality and enjoyment of life and also doesn't affect our retirement in any real way.
So I say bring (bling) it!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

pearaffair|1445806687|3942047 said:
In your social circles, what is the average diamond size? (Add your geographical location if you want.)
What size diamond would you feel weird about wearing in your daily life? Why?
Have you run into examples of this already?

Thanks!

In my social circle or just the people I see most often, I think the average is probably about a half carat with one carat being considered a good size to relatively large. I'm in the midwest, in a small city in Minnesota. Most people I know got married or are getting married in their mid to late 20s, so large diamonds aren't super common. Someone I see regularly has a very lovely solitaire that her husband designed, with a center diamond probably no larger than .25. I know exactly one person who has a diamond over one carat, and it's my cousin's wife, and he reused diamonds from his deceased mother's wedding set to create his wife's set--the personal touch makes it one of the loveliest wedding sets, aside from the fact that the center stone is pretty large.

My upgrade is nearly a 1.5 carat stone, and to me, it's the largest I am truly comfortable wearing right now. Anything larger might be unbelievable. I think I would be uncomfortable with having a 2 carat rock, but I'm only in my 30s--I think as I get older, I wouldn't mind it, and it would make more sense to people.

I'm not wearing my upgrade yet, so I can let you know if I get any reactions. Honestly, I get more reactions/comments on my 5-stone ring, not because it's large, but because it's unique and very sparkly.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock

With the way Bay Area prices are headed, I'd be lucky to rent a box to live in for $15K/year! :wall:

yeahno

Rough_Rock

PumpkinsAreAwesome|1446217971|3943812 said:

With the way Bay Area prices are headed, I'd be lucky to rent a box to live in for $15K/year! :wall:

HA! $15K/year? In SF you'd have to first qualify for section 8 or low income housing. My little box (studio) costs me double that. Its not uncommon for ppl to blow >50% of their income on housing, so its interesting to hear how much is being spent on luxury goods.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

yeahno|1446347551|3944390 said:
PumpkinsAreAwesome|1446217971|3943812 said:

HA! $15K/year? In SF you'd have to first qualify for section 8 or low income housing. My little box (studio) costs me double that. Its not uncommon for ppl to blow >50% of their income on housing, so its interesting to hear how much is being spent on luxury goods.

So funny to see all of these Bay Area people on PS! I'm going to look for you guys and all of your awesome bling in the grocery store. :)

We are in Menlo Park. What about the rest of you?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I live out in horse country NJ, where everything is a bit larger. But my social circle consists of people from all different sectors of the economy, which is just how I like it. At work, my 2.1/2.4ct diamonds are huge. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing anything larger. With my husband's family, that size diamond is just business as usual. With my friends, jewelry isn't on their radar. Obviously I enjoy hanging out with people unlike myself, as I tend to glance quickly at everyone's fingers. I have great peripheral vision, so I tell myself I'm being surreptitious. :naughty:

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock

Palo Alto here - hi!

So what would you guys say is normal/acceptable in the bay area? There's lots of money around but it seems like a faux pas to show it. There's a large stone I really like but am worried it would be perceived the wrong way :/

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

On the younger set (ie moms with elementary age kids) I see a lot of 1.5-2ish carat diamonds around here. Plenty of people with smaller. And the occasional larger diamond. I am currently "test driving" a 4 carat OEC and I haven't gotten too many odd looks ... yet! It's set as a simple solitaire at the moment which I think helps. Blingier settings are more noticeable IMO.

Let's hear about your big stone!!!

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock

That's the exact size I was looking at! Glad to hear it hasn't attracted odd looks. It's a beautiful ring and the faceting is amazing. Have you had any problems with snagging? I love solitaire settings but worried it will catch on things

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3513231.htm I was originally searching for a 3.5 ct H color but haven't had any luck and the video is mesmerizing

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

aftereffects15|1446520594|3945007 said:
That's the exact size I was looking at! Glad to hear it hasn't attracted odd looks. It's a beautiful ring and the faceting is amazing. Have you had any problems with snagging? I love solitaire settings but worried it will catch on things

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3513231.htm I was originally searching for a 3.5 ct H color but haven't had any luck and the video is mesmerizing

oooohhh looks nice! how do i see the video??

i say go for it. i thought it would be conspicuous but i think a lot of people don't really pay attention to jewelry. i've had a few acquaintances notice but that's probably just because they haven't seen it on me before. but i haven't noticed any strangers noticing it (and you can usually tell when people are scoping out your ring, you know what I mean)?

I haven't had any snagging problems actually. I've only had it for about 5 days so I'll keep you updated on that.

Q

Queenie60

aftereffects15|1446519069|3945001 said:
Palo Alto here - hi!

So what would you guys say is normal/acceptable in the bay area? There's lots of money around but it seems like a faux pas to show it. There's a large stone I really like but am worried it would be perceived the wrong way :/
Hi aftereffects15 - Saratoga here, hi!! I say go for it - I see large all around me and it doesn't seem to be out of place. The ladies seem to wear it well. As long as it's tastefully done I don't see a problem, if you can then why not?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aftereffects15|1446519069|3945001 said:
Palo Alto here - hi!

People will think what they want. Why let your enjoyment be subject to OTHER people's feelings? Who cares? As long as you like it, wear it. Life is too short, and you are too important in your own life to let other's opinions change the way YOU live YOUR life. BTW, I live in the peninsula, a little north of you.

alamana

Shiny_Rock

I'm in the DC area and my artsy friends tend to have 1 carat and my lawyer friends tend to have 2 or so carats. Mine is 1.5--and I'd be comfortable at 2, and probably feel weird in the 2.5 plus range (around some friends anyway).

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I live near and work on a military installation, I would say most of the rings I encounter are less than 1ct. I certainly felt out of place rocking a 3 ct but that soon passed, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results