shape
carat
color
clarity

So who bought the silver topaz from Barry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 7:30:22 PM
Author: amethystguy
or maybe a silver danburite...wow must be a new find..maybe I can get more money for it(picture is AJS.gems)
It''s old already dude. Drop it.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I bet 1/2 the folks on here had no idea a "silver topaz" was a colorless topaz without googling it. I sure as heck didn''t and I know my stones and mins. pretty darn well. (TL told me how to quote but I forgot can someone tell me again..
1.gif
"Besides, aren''t there much more important (and serious) things to worry about than a slightly romanticized name?" it is very serious to the passionate collector or connoisseur..it is very serious to dealers and sellers..it is not serious to buyers and consumers who don''t care about what they get, who only like stones because they are "sparkly", and who are not true lovers of stones. Where do you draw the line at? The perfect example is a white sapphire...is it a white sapphire or a silver sapphire???..well it''s a white sapphire, right? Well whats the difference between white topaz and silver topaz...? The one man crusade for truth, justice, and the gem naming way....
9.gif

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 12:40:56 AM
Author: Babyblue033
I doubt Pwendyp bought this stone because she's a 'gullible fork-over-money-consumer' who fell for the pretty name
20.gif
It's a beautiful stone in its own right regardless of what it's called. Besides, aren't there much more important (and serious) things to worry about than a slightly romanticized name?
2.gif

Thank you babyblue - you are right, I did buy this stone for its own beauty. I also bought it for its reasonable price, and excellent cutting, and because I like 'silver' stones!

Now then Amethystguy....

Gullible am I?

Maybe...but you don't know me, so I doubt you are in a position to say so! Yeah, sometimes when my darling man is feeling cheeky, he can wind me up a little...I usually fall for it!

Gems...now that's another story altogether.

Did I know what 'silver' topaz was before I bought this one - yes of course I did. Did I buy it because it had the more romantic name of 'silver' - no of course not. It just sounds a good name for it.

Is it a marketing ploy? Who knows, and indeed who cares! Ebay is full enough of stones being sold as 'fine quality' - 'pidgeon blood red' - 'flawless' - you get the idea! One would hope, that by the time you get to a site such as this, you know the difference between silver and white topaz!! And, heck, if you don't, and buy the stone such as the one I did - name is not important - I am getting a stunning stone - in a colour I love!

To quote you here/or perhaps correct you...I do believe there is a sapphire 'variety' that is named 'silver sapphire - to denote the white/grey/silvery flashes it gives?

People come on here, to learn about all manner of things jewellery and gem related...and learn we do. For me...I learn just what I need to, and there are many on here with so much more knowledge than I - so that's where I ask my questions.

But heck - the silver topaz cost me just $140AUD - a fine stone for a fine price me thinks!

Maybe your posts are slightly tongue in cheek - I hope so...

But, if you getting your knickers in a twist over a colour name...now that's worrying!

Take care - and keep those knickers straight - it aint worth it!

1.gif

Just to add, ameguy...perhaps you could go to the top of this post, to read again the specific words that babyblue wrote...'aren't there more important things to worry about' I know I have read some things on these pages recently and in the past, that make the use of the word 'silver' like a tiny raindrop in the ocean in comparison.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
oh...and ameguy...

It may have been a typo...but your use of the word ''atypical'' is wrong here. You should have used the word typical.

ok - I''m done with this now!

31.gif

Date: 7/2/2009 7:28:51 PM

That is atypical of a gullible...wah wah wah...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know what isn''t very nice? When someone buys a beautiful gemstone and certain posters feel the need to pull it apart. Its happened more than once.

As for ''oohing and aahhing'' I am the queen of that so don''t give my credit to Freke.

Thank you
5.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that the regular posters know that a silver topaz is really colourless topaz but Am Guy makes a good point that for the occasional reader or newbie, he or she may not know that. Not only that, when unscrupulous vendors call it silver topaz, they usually tack on a heftier pricetag to the stone in order to fool the prospective buyer into thinking he/she is getting something rare and special. In this case, it may not matter much because topazes are very inexpensive but imagine if it''s a higher priced item? It''s just like a padparadscha. In reality, to me, a pad is a pink and orange sapphire with certain quality of how well the colours mix and intensity and all that. However, I''ve seen many vendors call a regular pink sapphire with a touch of orange a padparadscha. OK, so that isn''t the best example, but I hope everyone gets the idea.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 7:21:32 AM
Author: Maisie
You know what isn''t very nice? When someone buys a beautiful gemstone and certain posters feel the need to pull it apart. Its happened more than once.

As for ''oohing and aahhing'' I am the queen of that so don''t give my credit to Freke.

Thank you
5.gif
Maise,
I don''t consider it pulling apart. He isn''t insulting the stone or anything like that but in acutality, correcting Barry. Barry should not have called it a silver topaz but a white or colourless topaz. If the stone is certed, it would not come back as a silver topaz. AGL, GIA and AGTA would not call it a silver topaz. Am Guy is only clarifying that. Nomenclature plays an important part in coloured gemstones because it sets the price the buyer pays. There''s absolutely nothing wrong or unappealing about the stone. In fact, there''s something very interesting about some colourless gemstones.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pwendyp- your gem is a gorgeous color. I like all types of stone colors even ones that aren''t considered highly desireable or colorless.

I just thought it was a neat thread to see if any PS had bought it, since I ooogle and awwwed it so many times over this stone... Anyhoot hopefully soon more pictures will surface
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think Amguy was pulling or tearing apart the stone. I am glad that he's pointing out marketing names in order to educate the consumer on PS. I believe he has the best intentions at heart. No one is saying that the topaz is a bad stone, everyone is being very complimentary towards it, as they should be.

The fact of the matter is that this is a relatively inexpensive stone, so maybe people feel there's too much emphasis placed on worrying about the "silver" name in this particular case. Barry is also charging a fair and reasonable price for the stone. However, had this been a stone worth a great deal more, I do think that the marketing name could be used to exploit the consumer (not Barry of course). It's important to understand these marketing names and their implications on your hard earned money.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think clarification was well made many posts ago and anyone who wasn''t aware had learned about true nature of "silver" topaz by now. Before the brutal beating of the dead horse, snide comments and insulting remarks towwards PS members (even ones that''s been deleted)
38.gif

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Thank you D&T - I''m looking forward to seeing it, but it''s coming all the way from Australia to the UK...and from the outback somewhere!

Who knows how many days it will take!

I will for sure, post pictures when it arrives...I feel a photo shoot coming on...

Then, next stop...contact my silversmith - then it really will be silver topaz!

1.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t use the parameters or standards that these guys use then what? Make up your own? Chrono
"AGL, GIA and AGTA would not call it a silver topaz" It is a very gorgeous stone...I would be proud to own it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
* stupid question alert *

How come the stone is coming from Oz Wendy? I thought Barry was in the US?????

Our lovely Royal Mail is doing us proud at the mo, I''ve had stuff delivered from abroad in 3 days - including something from China - gasp! So you might not have to wait too long. Can''t wait to see your photos.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 2:13:00 PM
If you don''t use the parameters or standards that these guys use then what? Make up your own? Chrono
''AGL, GIA and AGTA would not call it a silver topaz'' It is a very gorgeous stone...I would be proud to own it.
amguy- what is that stone in your avatar?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
treated pink tourm..small...like 1.5ct.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
hi LovingDiamonds

It's not one of Barry's stones...it's another cutter I came across in my travels, and just fell in love with the cut on this one. I've also got a peridot coming from him, which is also beautiful...

I'll take some pictures of them both when they arrive - hey, and good to hear the Royal Mail is getting things delivered in good time, they may be here next week hopefully.

1.gif

eta...by the way - the piece in your avatar - it is gorgeous, truly lovely - congrats on a gorgeous piece of jewellery!

Date: 7/3/2009 2:24:37 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
* stupid question alert *

How come the stone is coming from Oz Wendy? I thought Barry was in the US?????

Our lovely Royal Mail is doing us proud at the mo, I've had stuff delivered from abroad in 3 days - including something from China - gasp! So you might not have to wait too long. Can't wait to see your photos.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 2:32:03 PM
treated pink tourm..small...like 1.5ct.
Gorgeous pink - very saturated and shocking colour.
30.gif
Is it yours?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case Am Guy checks back, here''s how the quotes work:

1. Go to the post you want to quote,
2. Hit the reply button to bring up the "Form"
3. There is a "Quote" box on the top left side.
4. Double click on the quoted part to get "inside" the quote to highlight or cut or whatever you want.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 7:59:44 PM
What is silver topaz? I have never heard that term before. Is it colorless topaz? Why is it called 'silver'?....

[edit]okay a quick check online says it's colorless untreated topaz...does anyone know why it's called silver? I have never heard that term used before. So is colorless sapphire, tourmaline, etc. also called 'silver'? 'silver sapphire'...'silver tourmaline' why topaz?

This whole corundum has been more fun than a wheel beryl full of monkeys and yet some how reminds me of mountains and mole hills.

Now gosh garnet can't we move on and talk about something else?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
LOL..good one colormyworld...
9.gif
I am sick of this schist...my gems are gneiss so don't take them for granite. Thanks for the quote reply chrono.and yes that is mine..I got it with a parcel of .60-1.50ct tourmalines..I got like 100-125 stones for less than a buck a piece of almost all colors
All native cut though but for less than a buck apiece you can't beat that..here is a pic of some of them..white balance not corrected

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
here

tourmalines buck a piece.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
little treasure box....
22.gif

treasure box.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Did we ever figure out who got Barry''s SILVER TOPAZ?
9.gif

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

Thank you
5.gif
Maisie, get in line behind me....I ooh and aah more than anyone....my posts have an obvious lack of substance.
9.gif

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 2:49:17 PM
Author:D&T
I can''t wait for pictures!!!
36.gif
and Thank you! for saving my pocket book
31.gif
Now, back to the original question.....I DID! Well, not the original SILVER TOPAZ that was on Barry''s site, but a second SILVER TOPAZ that Barry had. It is a 6.6mm round and I don''t have a photo yet to post.

I, for one, am excited to have a SILVER TOPAZ in my collection...it does not matter to me why it is called a SILVER TOPAZ, just that it looks like a topaz with a silver tint. Nuff said!
9.gif

Lori

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 9:46:18 PM
Author: loriken214

Date: 6/29/2009 2:49:17 PM
Author:D&T
I can't wait for pictures!!!
36.gif
and Thank you! for saving my pocket book
31.gif
Now, back to the original question.....I DID! Well, not the original SILVER TOPAZ that was on Barry's site, but a second SILVER TOPAZ that Barry had. It is a 6.6mm round and I don't have a photo yet to post.

I, for one, am excited to have a SILVER TOPAZ in my collection...it does not matter to me why it is called a SILVER TOPAZ, just that it looks like a topaz with a silver tint. Nuff said!
9.gif

Lori
LORI- Another Fantastic Gem to your collection! you are Rockin' & Rollin my dear!
36.gif
how are ya feeling? and yes am excited to see all your GORGEOUS gemmies! ok I think I can rest at peace now with the silver topaz mystery even though its not the one posted but close enough.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 9:38:02 PM

Thank you
5.gif

Maisie, get in line behind me....I ooh and aah more than anyone....my posts have an obvious lack of substance.
9.gif

Lori

Make that three, so do mine.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lori, you have the most beautiful collection
36.gif
36.gif
. I can''t wait to see pictures of your silver topaz. I know it must be beautiful.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I''m feeling like crap these days, but I have some AWESOME gemmies coming my way! I''m grumpy, too, can you tell....
11.gif

Lori

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 10:28:29 PM
To be honest, I''m feeling like crap these days, but I have some AWESOME gemmies coming my way! I''m grumpy, too, can you tell....
11.gif

Lori
awww Lori - more Dust, Good Thoughts, and prayers your way so you can get feeling better soon so you can play more with your gemmies too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results