shape
carat
color
clarity

So who bought the silver topaz from Barry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t wait for pictures!!!
36.gif
and Thank you! for saving my pocket book
31.gif

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
I saw that one too... it was a very nice stone! Whoever got it needs to post some pics!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 2:49:17 PM
Author:D&T
I can''t wait for pictures!!!
36.gif
and Thank you! for saving my pocket book
31.gif
ME TOO!
36.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did Athen get it maybe? I saw it was posted as a suggestion in her ering thread.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Wasn''t me - but I sure am happy for whoever got it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that was quick. Barry should pay for PS advertising here.
9.gif
11.gif

Athen

Rough_Rock
Wasn''t me either
1.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
What is silver topaz? I have never heard that term before. Is it colorless topaz? Why is it called "silver"?....

[edit]okay a quick check online says it''s colorless untreated topaz...does anyone know why it''s called silver? I have never heard that term used before. So is colorless sapphire, tourmaline, etc. also called "silver"? "silver sapphire"..."silver tourmaline" why topaz?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 7:59:44 PM
Author: amethystguy
What is silver topaz? I have never heard that term before. Is it colorless topaz? Why is it called ''silver''?....

[edit]okay a quick check online says it''s colorless untreated topaz...does anyone know why it''s called silver? I have never heard that term used before. So is colorless sapphire, tourmaline, etc. also called ''silver''? ''silver sapphire''...''silver tourmaline'' why topaz?
Amguy - its this one... you tell me?

barrysilvertopaz111.JPG

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 3:55:12 PM
Author: Chrono
Wow, that was quick. Barry should pay for PS advertising here.
9.gif
11.gif

why bother when we will do it for him!
3.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I just worked with Barry today to get a little stone and he will set into a pendant for my youngest daughter''s 11th birthday! My requirements were a small stone, inexpensive, preferably blue. He has a London Blue Topaz, I think 5mm and a yellow gold simple pendant setting from Stuller. He is going to set the stone and send to me! He met all my needs and sold me the setting too. Geez, that was almost too easy! My daughter will be thrilled.
36.gif

OK, hijack over...now who got the silver topaz?!!
30.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 8:38:03 PM
Author: cinnamon013
I just worked with Barry today to get a little stone and he will set into a pendant for my youngest daughter''s 11th birthday! My requirements were a small stone, inexpensive, preferably blue. He has a London Blue Topaz, I think 5mm and a yellow gold simple pendant setting from Stuller. He is going to set the stone and send to me! He met all my needs and sold me the setting too. Geez, that was almost too easy! My daughter will be thrilled.
36.gif

30.gif
- ahhh I''m so excited to see this pendant of yours, please take loads of pictures! does he have a stuller account? i never thought to ask him, but if he does that would be wonderful if i can get it through him along with his gems already set too.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the pic D&T...I did some more research and mindat. which is the authority for gems and mins. calls "silver topaz" a
unnecessary trade name for colorless topaz"[endquote]. I had never heard of this term before so thanks for enlightning me..learn something new everyday. So it''s used to give a plain jane clear or colorless topaz a little boost to help in sales? Is that a good assumption or no? Anybody else have any info? Would it be acceptable for me to call this 2 pounds of colorless topaz rough "silver topaz rough" when i sell it online or at gem and min. shows? Colorless topaz never sounded good to begin with but "silver topaz" now that is catchy.

colorless topaz rough 2lbs.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, silver topaz just sounds better than colorless topaz. It's a marketing name. I've heard the term used before.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 9:08:22 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Yes, silver topaz just sounds better than colorless topaz. It''s a marketing name. I''ve heard the term used before.
ditto TL... Like the sound of that much better.
36.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 8:42:28 PM
Author: D&T

36.gif

30.gif
- ahhh I''m so excited to see this pendant of yours, please take loads of pictures! does he have a stuller account? i never thought to ask him, but if he does that would be wonderful if i can get it through him along with his gems already set too.
No he doesn''t have a current Stuller account. He has some old yellow gold pendant settings sitting around that he bought for cheap back in the day. I''ve seen one before when he tried to make one work for my 6mm square from Jeff White that I''ve never set. Simple gold 4 prong pendant with rabbit ears bail. It will be perfect for her!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 9:15:40 PM

Date: 6/29/2009 8:42:28 PM

36.gif

30.gif
No he doesn''t have a current Stuller account. He has some old yellow gold pendant settings sitting around that he bought for cheap back in the day. I''ve seen one before when he tried to make one work for my 6mm square from Jeff White that I''ve never set. Simple gold 4 prong pendant with rabbit ears bail. It will be perfect for her!
indeed it will be perfect for her
36.gif
. Thanks for the info though.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I figured the term white topaz would be used...isn''t that what you call colorless sapphire? What about colorless tourmaline? Achroite sounds horrible for colorless tourmaline

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well whatever you call it I did not buy it. It did look cool in Barry''s photos tho.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nope, it wasn''t me either. I was too distracted looking at a purdy pink stone
2.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 11:10:23 PM
Author: Babyblue033
2.gif
Does that mean you have a new somethin'' comin''?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I really apologize for the hijacking of this thread. Barry was one fast guy for me! Here is my daughter's cute pendant already done! She is going to love it! She knows I look at his site all the time and will be thrilled to get her own stone from him.

tn_MVC-064S.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Love the pendant, cinnamon - you have one lucky daughter!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 11:17:35 PM
Ok, I really apologize for the hijacking of this thread. Barry was one fast guy for me! Here is my daughter''s cute pendant already done! She is going to love it! She knows I look at his site all the time and will be thrilled to get her own stone from him.
SOOOOO pretty, I am dying for a blue - seablue color stone
39.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 9:15:08 PM

Yes, silver topaz just sounds better than colorless topaz. It''s a marketing name. I''ve heard the term used before.
36.gif
What''s puzzling to me is, I actually have a clear topaz - it''s completely colorless, and some people think it''s a cz, that''s how clear it is. Barry''s stone actually looks a little silvery to me, and not really clear. I really hope a PSer got this and will post pics - I''''m very curious.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 11:14:20 PM
Date: 6/29/2009 11:10:23 PM

Author: Babyblue033

2.gif
Does that mean you have a new somethin'' comin''?
Maybe...
31.gif

And I love the pendant, and so quickly too! I''m sure your daughter will absolutely love it
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 11:27:17 PM
Author: cellentani

Date: 6/29/2009 9:15:08 PM

36.gif
What''s puzzling to me is, I actually have a clear topaz - it''s completely colorless, and some people think it''s a cz, that''s how clear it is. Barry''s stone actually looks a little silvery to me, and not really clear. I really hope a PSer got this and will post pics - I''m very curious.
The camera shadow might also bring out a bit of grey in the stone due to the facet shadows. That''s probably why you see "silver."

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Yea I noticed it had a silvery look to it but that has to be light refraction. very nice colored stone cinnamon..me likey...cellentani i guess according to "trade name" what you have is silver topaz. After doing more research I found out it is not an accepted trade name with LHMC. Maybe I can call my colorless topaz "diamond topaz" or "water topaz" might sell better at the next gem/min. show i do.....

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/30/2009 12:04:14 AM
Author: amethystguy
Yea I noticed it had a silvery look to it but that has to be light refraction. very nice colored stone cinnamon..me likey...cellentani i guess according to ''trade name'' what you have is silver topaz. After doing more research I found out it is not an accepted trade name with LHMC. Maybe I can call my colorless topaz ''diamond topaz'' or ''water topaz'' might sell better at the next gem/min. show i do.....

I call it Silver Topaz and so do nearly 700,000 others if my Google search is correct. Get used to marketing names if you intend to work in the gem business. "Rubellite" for red tourmaline, "Flame Spinel" for the blazing red-orange hues, "Starlight" for blue zircon and on and on. Don''t fight it. It''s called "romancing the stone" and it''s been going on for thousands of years. The LMHC''s efforts, while worthy, are like Don Quixote tilting at windmills. While Smuckers may have turned a sow''s ear into a silk purse jam-full of money, you can bet that some sellers will continue to call demantoid garnets "Uralian Emeralds" and fine spessartites "Mandarine Garnets." It''s human nature.

Richard M.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did Athen get the silver topaz???????????? Do we know?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results