carat
color
clarity

So what do you guys think of WAP?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To each her own.

This is my kind of music. But I enjoy a wide range of genres.

:)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To each her own.

This is my kind of music. But I enjoy a wide range of genres.

:)

Ahhhh Missy, I love it!
My dad loves the Ink Spots so I heard a lot of them growing up. And there's a little rap in there, too.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If deep and meaningful lyrics are your thing - it's not rap, but I've always thought Status Quo's Roll Over Lay Down And Let Me In (from the 70's, for pete's sake!) was a subtle little number.

I mean...what's he trying to saaaaaay???? I just can't quite work it out....

:roll:

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Or how about Rod Stewart's "Tonight's the Night"? "Open your wings and let me come inside." Abstruse as all get-out, right?

This may be another reason why all my kids have 4 paws (and college-tuition-worthy vet bills, ha ha!!)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would've been more like you Monnie had I ever found a man that had any interest in improving their "proficiency". Alas, I've been married twice and been in 6 total relationships and none have been worth their salt. I think one of the things men don't fully comprehend is that while a woman is into them and having an orgiastic time with them, most of that "delight" is in her own head and brought to the party by them. It really has nothing to do with the man, IMHO. At some point, the man has to up his game to keep things on par with what he's been provided, but that is rarely the case, selfish as they are in the bedroom. Men need to be taught A LOT of things....

I am sorry to hear this because intimacy is important and so is mutual enjoyment.

It makes me remember back a long way. since I've been married almost 30 years. I could still kiss the 44 year old woman who "dated" my husband when he was 21. It wasn't dating, she was a divorcee and the mother of his best friend. She knew what she wanted in bed and taught him EVERYTHING. That's all they did. LOL. I benefitted from her fling that's for sure. Men need to be taught, but he actually ended up teaching me!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear this because intimacy is important and so is mutual enjoyment.

It makes me remember back a long way. since I've been married almost 30 years. I could still kiss the 44 year old woman who "dated" my husband when he was 21. It wasn't dating, she was a divorcee and the mother of his best friend. She knew what she wanted in bed and taught him EVERYTHING. That's all they did. LOL. I benefitted from her fling that's for sure. Men need to be taught, but he actually ended up teaching me!

Had to read this a couple of times...thought it was going somewhere else with kissing a 44 year old woman:D.

Off-topic, but what would be the reaction if the same situation occurred with the genders reversed, 44 year old divorced man teaches 21 year-old daughter of his best friend how to be good in bed? Although to be fair, many would react the same way to both situations.

Back on topic - this is why I think masturbation for girls/women is so important. You can only teach a guy what to do if you've figured it out yourself.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had to read this a couple of times...thought it was going somewhere else with kissing a 44 year old woman:D.

Off-topic, but what would be the reaction if the same situation occurred with the genders reversed, 44 year old divorced man teaches 21 year-old daughter of his best friend how to be good in bed? Although to be fair, many would react the same way to both situations.

Back on topic - this is why I think masturbation for girls/women is so important. You can only teach a guy what to do if you've figured it out yourself.

:lol:

At 21 one is an adult and I wouldn't have an issue with the reverse. I did it myself before meeting my husband. Well he was 39 - and he didn't know jack about a woman's body.

Yes I agree on the masturbation, it's not a sin or dirty at all.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If deep and meaningful lyrics are your thing - it's not rap, but I've always thought Status Quo's Roll Over Lay Down And Let Me In (from the 70's, for pete's sake!) was a subtle little number.

I mean...what's he trying to saaaaaay???? I just can't quite work it out....

:roll:

Or how about Rod Stewart's "Tonight's the Night"? "Open your wings and let me come inside." Abstruse as all get-out, right?

This may be another reason why all my kids have 4 paws (and college-tuition-worthy vet bills, ha ha!!)
Thanks for the chuckle ladies! I literally LOL'd.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a catchy tune but honestly not my thing, I find the lyrics so vulgar it makes me cringe. In the context of consensual adults, fine whatever but I would NOT want teenagers or worse impressionable children to see/hear this.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went back and watched the video again and then looked up the lyrics after that. I think it is the researcher in me. I was really trying to understand what other people had found in the song (and video) that I had not. (I am truly not a prude.)

I feel that I have been open to what the song/video offers, if one can say it offers anything. In my opinion, it does not offer anything startling. But it is art, so it is there to be enjoyed and to affect people emotionally, not to offer answers to the deepest questions of the universe. I am emotionally struck by Dido's song "White Flag", and I couldn't defend it as a great piece of literature.

This thread just asked what we thought of it, and I said what I thought. :))

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I grew up listening to heavy metal bands with plenty of profanity and other adult themes in the music, I don't know if I can really condemn that song tbh. But I think that the difference between what I listened to and WAP is that my music told stories with those themes incorporated within, whereas it's backwards with WAP and the theme is the entire story.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope that's true. I'm just not sure that girls and younger women will necessarily catch that distinction. It's kind of like 'size matters.' I always want to add 'But if he doesn't know what he's doing, big ain't nothing but a problem.'

You were very discreet and I do not want to make your posting vulgar, but I could not help but think that it is also true that when a woman reaches a certain age, big ain't nothing but a problem.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up listening to heavy metal bands with plenty of profanity and other adult themes in the music, I don't know if I can really condemn that song tbh. But I think that the difference between what I listened to and WAP is that my music told stories with those themes incorporated within, whereas it's backwards with WAP and the theme is the entire story.

Well said, Jordy

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't think about it at all: because there is nothing new in men and and women shaking and squatting and humping and pelvic thrusting to music. Sex sells.

cheers--Sharon

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The tune, beat and rap is great, but those words are going to become anthems of empowerment to little girls. They will think that a woman's greatest attribute for catching a man is "WAP".

I'm going to be blunt here - this objectifies women. Is it strength because a woman says "objectify this WAP on my terms"...okay, if you say so, but the common denominator is objectification of a woman for her stuff. For her T&A, for her sexuality. Is this realllly progress?

I'm not shocked, or scandalized. I'm sad that in this time...some woman thought that this was life goals. And the men agree.

And in the next breath, we will be sad about how women are treated as objects, as toys, and not taken seriously.

Seriously folks, cultural whiplash right here.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For all the people mystified as to why it is called WAP and not WAG... you have actually listened to the 'clean' version. The Original is synonymous to 'humidified donkey cat'.

I like that she pushed the limits, that she basically took every lyric any man has ever uttered, turned it on it's head, and rolled it all into one vulgar unapologetic song about her enjoyment. To me it a commentary on how men think they

But, I do not like the actual music. Her voice irks me, the song to me isn't catchy. I much prefer Khia's My Neck, My Back for a good song about a woman getting hers.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought WAP was white anglo Protestant

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I thought WAP was white anglo Protestant

:lol:That'd be W.A.S.P. White Anglo-Saxon Protestant
One of the towns I grew up in was so W.A.S.P. -it was chosen as the high school mascot in the 60's.:roll:
Close though :bigsmile:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @moneymeister! I just think how I was as a kid with a catchy tune. I was particularly enthralled by The Night Chicago Died and Billy Don't Be A Hero songs and would sing them all the time. I can't imagine little girls running around singing about their WAPs, or how that could possibly be a good thing. I think music is very impactful for many, especially youngsters. This song sends a message I wouldn't want my kids exposed to...

Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankfully when I was a kid, I thought salt and peppers push it was about having a baby, bc every time there was a L&D scene on TV, they would be yelling, push push push!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious for those of you who find this non-empowering, what would be an example of women singing/rapping about sex that is empowering in your opinion?

Personally I don't mind WAP, it's catchy, it doesn't reflect my personal preference on partnerships, but I also don't judge. These women are coming from a background and context that I never had to experience and don't have an understanding of. Cardi used to be a stripper, and an artists' life informs their music, so I'm not that surprised that getting money from men is part of what she perhaps did find empowering. I have friends (of both genders) who are/were strippers, and they did it of their own volition for their own reasons and getting money for your body/sexuality was sort of the nature of the work and they took pride in being good at it. I think previous posters' links to articles speaking to the reality of many young women's experience of sexuality is very pertinent here. I can imagine where in a reality where you are already sexualized at a young age and there's an underlying message condoning/expecting women to be used/objectified by men, then maybe using sex to get what you want and being the one driving the interaction, transactional though it might be, does in fact feel empowering. And I personally take no issue with sex being transactional if you're adults and both people are consenting and safe. If you really "own" something, then you have the right to sell it no? Haha. Bias disclosure: obviously I come from a place of supporting legalization, regulation, and standardization of sex work for the safety of the workers, and I understand that stance itself is controversial.

I think it's interesting to contrast this with Awkwafina's "My Vag" which as the title would tell you is about a certain body part as well, but is so devoid of sexuality as to be humorous.

I will say what I appreciate about the song is that people are talking about it. I think conversations about why people might find this empowering vs crude is great because I think it challenges you to understand what certain people's experience and expectation of sexuality is. The subject is often taboo, and I think it should be talked about more, which at the end of the day is the thing I find actually empowering, the ability to talk about sex and sexuality without shame or judgement with people who don't share your views about it.

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I grew up with Eminem, one of the most well respected rap lyricists and touted as one of the most violent and misogynistic artists at the same time. I find WAP so much less problematic thematically than most of the Marshall Mathers album. But I feel like Eminem is a much more impressive word smith, the guy is honestly super talented at word play. Is that better? I dunno. (For the record, I quite like Eminem)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm curious for those of you who find this non-empowering, what would be an example of women singing/rapping about sex that is empowering in your opinion?

I think the term "empowering" is an interesting one. I own my sexuality. It's mine. No one else owns it. Who am I looking to give me additional power? Does empowerment imply I didn't have any before?
It's my cookie factory and I OWN ALL THE COOKIES. :)

On Eminem....I used to CRANK IT UP and yell rap it to "Loose yourself" when times were hard.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I grew up with Eminem, one of the most well respected rap lyricists and touted as one of the most violent and misogynistic artists at the same time. I find WAP so much less problematic thematically than most of the Marshall Mathers album. But I feel like Eminem is a much more impressive word smith, the guy is honestly super talented at word play. Is that better? I dunno. (For the record, I quite like Eminem)

I love Eminem. And it's his way with a phrase that makes him so appealing. I also like the OGs of rap like Snoop Dogg. CardiB is like what you'd get if you asked a stripper to rap. Oh, wait...

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love Eminem too! I find his latest album even more compelling than earlier work.

I don't really know what is meant by being/feeling empowered by a song. Does it make you feel powerful? Like the Rocky theme song maybe? :razz: Or does being "empowered" actually mean feeling validated? Like, maybe you felt something other than great about aspects of sex but now Cardi B et. al. are singing its praises so you feel like you belong? I am wracking my brain trying to think of a song or piece of music that I would find "empowering" but keep coming up blank!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results