shape
carat
color
clarity

So what do you guys think of WAP?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's an amazing, empowering rap and I'm happy it, among others (looking at you, Megan Thee Stallion/Savage) is getting mainstream play now. L'il Kim in the early oughts was a favorite of mine for her sassy lyrics. Just curious if PSrs are clutching their pearls or into it. ;-)

ETA: everyone can google "CardiB WAP" or "WAP." I'm not posting here since this is a "family forum." ;-)

Also, I was 14 when "Baby Got Back" came out by Sir Mixx A Lot...a song that's been touted for YEARS...

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's not really my thing, but I don't have a problem with it except for one part. I'm NOT okay with the lyric where I think Megan says 'You can't hurt my feelings, but I like pain'. I hate to see anyone send girls or young women a message that might be interpreted as it's okay or even good for it to hurt. I can't EVER endorse that.

But those splits they do in the video are impressive. And Mix is and always has been a local so most of us know and love 'Baby Got Back' here!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just googled up the song and the lyrics. :eek-2:
I didn't get too far, had to stop.

This is adult material, yet is right there on Youtube with no parental control.
How can it be so easy for kids to read and listen to?

Pronography
Garbage

:knockout:

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm interested in hearing why you think it's c*rn @kenny.

Like I mentioned above, there have been MANY songs/raps/whatever in which adult material has been part of the lyrics.

I don't believe in censorship, and I didn't think you did, either, so I'm really interested in your point of view here.

inne

Shiny_Rock
It's not the kind of music I like, but Ben Shapiro's massively backfiring response to it made me laugh and laugh.

As someone whose preteen to teenage years included Salt-n-Pepa, Liz Phair, Peaches, Bikini Kill, Madonna, etc. (in other words, the 90s - remember when 2 Live Crew performed on Donohue?), I do think the response to it is a good example of "each generation thinks it invented sex." Women have been making explicit music for a long time. Grace Jones released Pull Up to the Bumper in 1981! You would think the shock would wear off by now and it would just be fun.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm interested in hearing why you think it's c*rn @kenny.

Like I mentioned above, there have been MANY songs/raps/whatever in which adult material has been part of the lyrics.

I don't believe in censorship, and I didn't think you did, either, so I'm really interested in your point of view here.

Sex, drugs, religion, alcohol, tobacco are adult material.
Kids should not be exposed to it because their brains are not fully developed.

What consenting adults do is nobody's business.
But keeping it from kids is not censorship; it's IMO good parenting.

This video is on youtube and lyrics are published and come up instantly on google and NOT BEHIND ANY ADULT FILTER.
That such filters are not always effective is besides the point, and not an argument.

IMO the material is garbage, but I do not want it censored from consenting adults any more than religion.
Your assumption I'm pro censorship is not correct.

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny whoa I didn't assume you're pro-censorship; sorry if I worded my sentiment unclearly.

Youtube is filled with all kinds of content, period. You can find literally ANYTHING there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean, really, me and my fat ass have just been waiting for lyrics like this: If you don't jump to put jeans on, baby, you don't feel my pain, so. ETA: that's a line from "Savage"

So what's the difference...where's the line?

Is it furry chests here that get reported?

Is it big butts?

Just curious.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny whoa I didn't assume you're pro-censorship; sorry if I worded my sentiment unclearly.

Youtube is filled with all kinds of content, period. You can find literally ANYTHING there.

Pfffffft.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

And my understanding is that you cannot find explicit **** on YT without some kind of age verification thingie.

IMO, this song is explicit ****.
Lots of other stuff is too.

You started a thread asking what we think.
I've stated what I think.

I reject your attempt to "correct" my thinking by saying it happens all the time.
If there are 9,000,000 other equally offensive songs on YT my reaction is the same - they are all garbage that kids should not have access to.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean, really, me and my fat ass have just been waiting for lyrics like this: If you don't jump to put jeans on, baby, you don't feel my pain, so.

So what's the difference...where's the line?

Is it furry chests here that get reported?

Is it big butts?

Just curious.

There are many lines, one for every person on the planet.

Stop trying to get me to do anything but give my opinion.
What happens in society is all beyond my control and I'm not wasting my time on mental masturbation like "drawing lines".

People vary.
The lines they draw vary.

inne

Shiny_Rock
If we took away access to everything that mentions sex, drugs, religion, alcohol, or tobacco, there wouldn't be a whole lot of popular music left. I guess there's always some nice Elgar for the teens to dance to :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny so fun to get you riled up.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we took away access to everything that mentions sex, drugs, religion, alcohol, or tobacco, there wouldn't be a whole lot of popular music left. I guess there's always some nice Elgar for the teens to dance to :)

Yeah, good thing I'm not a parent.
It's a shit world today and I'd never bring a kid into it.

It's not really my thing, but I don't have a problem with it except for one part. I'm NOT okay with the lyric where I think Megan says 'You can't hurt my feelings, but I like pain'. I hate to see anyone send girls or young women a message that might be interpreted as it's okay or even good for it to hurt. I can't EVER endorse that.

But those splits they do in the video are impressive. And Mix is and always has been a local so most of us know and love 'Baby Got Back' here!

I didn’t get the feeling that Megan was talking about the “grin and bear it” kind of (damaging, women-hating) pain in the song, but rather the S&M by Rihanna kind of pain, IYKWIM. That’s pretty clear from context, I think. So that line doesn’t bother me more than anything else in the song or other rap songs.

About the song as a whole - I don’t like rap as a genre and pretty much never listen to it, so I was unaware of this song until it turned into a meme. I can’t say that the lyrics are worse than your typical rap song in terms of being more vulgar etc. Not really my thing, but I do appreciate how it’s women talking about their own bodies instead of yet another song about men talking about women’s bodies. I can see how people think it is empowering! And for once it’s a song about a woman (or two women) going “I’m so hot” without following it up with “women who don’t look like me are unattractive.” It makes me so happy to see a song that isn’t women hating on women (a la All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor).

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I just googled up the song and the lyrics. :eek-2:
I didn't get too far, had to stop.

This is adult material, yet is right there on Youtube with no parental control.
How can it be so easy for kids to read and listen to?

Pronography
Garbage

:knockout:

I'm with you on this one, Kenny.

I'm a parent. I'm pretty openminded. I grew up during the nineties and I enjoy rap music.

I don't see any artistry to the lyrics. The beat is good, the lyrics are crude.

Brings to mind this old clip by Chris Rock:

Definitely not suitable for kids!

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny if you have a youtube kids account set up nothing with "adult" content will come up. That's on the parents IMO if they want to allow their children to have access to that.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm with @Trekkie, I enjoy the beat and find the lyrics crude - like a lot of rap music.

I'm curious as to why you find it empowering @monarch64? What does it empower you to do or feel? As a woman who has unapologetically enjoyed all kinds of sex in my adult life (and only in my *adult* life thankfully) I can't see what is so empowering about these lyrics. For me it's just a crude ode to sex and hormonal urges. In fact, I find the parts about being someone's sugar baby to be the opposite of empowering for women.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too think it is empowering for girls and women and wish it had been around years ago for me.

And for people older or anyone who find it offensive listen to these.

And the GREAT! Aretha sang some border **** in You make me feel like a natural woman.. great song btw.

Last edited:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I to think it is empowering for girls and women and wish it had been around years ago for me.

I'm curious, why? If it had been around years ago, what would be different for you?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This song reminds me of Just Don't Bite It by N.W.A. both songs I don't enjoy listening to and certainly wouldn't want my 13 year old to listen to. IMO songs can be empowering to women without this level of vulgarity.

That said I enjoy rap (so does my son) but today's rap isn't the same quality as what I grew up with in the 80's and 90's. I guess my age is showing here.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the song is entertaining. I just abhor the word "gushy". It makes me think of that old fruit snack, Gushers. Those fruit snacks of yore still make me shudder. Fruit roll ups, gushers, fruit by the foot, all gross to me as a child.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's filthy and I wouldn't let my youngsters listen to it but I have always hated rap anyway. I never let them play gangster video games either. Not my business what someone else does.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I didn’t get the feeling that Megan was talking about the “grin and bear it” kind of (damaging, women-hating) pain in the song, but rather the S&M by Rihanna kind of pain, IYKWIM. That’s pretty clear from context, I think. So that line doesn’t bother me more than anything else in the song or other rap songs.

About the song as a whole - I don’t like rap as a genre and pretty much never listen to it, so I was unaware of this song until it turned into a meme. I can’t say that the lyrics are worse than your typical rap song in terms of being more vulgar etc. Not really my thing, but I do appreciate how it’s women talking about their own bodies instead of yet another song about men talking about women’s bodies. I can see how people think it is empowering! And for once it’s a song about a woman (or two women) going “I’m so hot” without following it up with “women who don’t look like me are unattractive.” It makes me so happy to see a song that isn’t women hating on women (a la All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor).

Thank you! It bothered when people talked about how All About That Bass was empowering. It completely hates on anyone who doesn’t look a certain way.

WAP isn’t a song I would normally listen to, but it is refreshing to hear women singing about women without the negativity.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
funny-wet-cats-4.jpg

Here's your WAP :lol:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn’t aware that a wap was a source of shame nor in need of glorification. I don’t know the lyrics so I won’t pretend to interpret them. I do wonder if the term will become yet another term by which to degrade women.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All rap is art. It might not appeal to your tastes but it is people making music. There are a lot of art forms that don’t appeal to my tastes. I wouldn’t say it isn’t art. I would say it doesn’t appeal to me.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmmmmmmmm? No, just Nooooooooooo!! lol

edited to add it Does Not Appeal To Me

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results