shape
carat
color
clarity

So spill! How many times have you upgraded/will you upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 4:07:42 PM
Author: purpleshirt
4 (one for pretty much every year of marriage)

but I kept my original AND all my upgrades except the last one
3.gif
This time I'm blissfully happy and for the first time don't feel a need to upgrade again. it's perfect (I've only had it a few months though lol)
PS, do you mean you kept the setting and the diamonds? Do you wear them, or just the current perfect one? (I'm just curious, because sometimes I have thought, if I could buy another wedding set that I loved & was perfect, would I ever bother wearing my (current) old one?)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''ve been married 17 years. For our 15th anniversary we upgraded both of our wrings and picked out a new diamond and ering for me. I changed out the ering last spring but didn''t upgrade the center diamond. I am pretty happy with my diamond but another ering or anniversary ring might call my name some day.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 4:15:57 PM
Author: MaggieB
I would be very surprised if I upgraded. My fiance is very sentimental about the ring he made for me, and I just don''t see him being okay with changing it. Who knows? Maybe he''ll feel differently in ten years. But he went bigger than he planned to for the stone solely so I would not want to turn around and upgrade it.

I''m hoping to get lots of other diamond jewelry from him instead.
2.gif
MaggieB, from what I see of your ring in your avatar, you don''t need to! Beautiful ring!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 4:59:10 PM
Author: geckodani
Been married for 2 years. I just reset my diamond into something a little funkier and am actually looking to change it back.
20.gif
I miss my solitaire and band combo, LOL!
gecko, I saw you mentioned this in iluvemerald's thread about custom, and I did pretty much the same - changed the setting and then went back to solitaire. I wonder how many folks have done this? It seems I saw a bunch of threads this year where people either went back to solitaire, or at least were thinking about it....

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 5:21:15 PM

Date: 8/21/2008 5:19:38 PM
Author: Jenn5504
...EVERYONE in my personal life that knows about any of my rings thinks I''m NUTS for doing it. It certainly isn''t common, at least not where I''m from.
Ditto here. I learned my lesson and now only gush on PS, LOL!
Thritto. When I changed my original setting when we were engaged, everyone thought I was crazy. So this whole past few years of trying to change my setting, it was like a deep, dark secret that only DH, just 1 or 2 confidantes IRL, and PSers were in on it.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
So far only one "upgrade" from my original e-ring (which I kept intact, but never wear).
Very happy for now, but could easily go bigger anytime..... what can I say? I lovediamonds!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 4:04:24 PM
Author:Laila619
I see a lot of upgrades on Pricescope. In real life, none of the women I know have ever upgraded their engagement rings or sets. I would love to get a new set after I''ve been married for 5 years. I think my honey would be fine with it. So how many times have you upgraded? Just curious...
31.gif
Changed the setting during engagement (5 years ago), from platinum w/ side diamonds to a YG solitaire - chose solitaire mainly because I could never find what I really wanted. Was never thrilled w/ the solitaire, so spent several years trying to change it, but - boy my saga is too weird to easily summarize - so let''s just say after a failed attempt at a new setting for my e-diamond, it is back in the YG solitaire, w/ a change from 6- to 4-prongs. After this year''s nightmare, I don''t see myself trying to change it again, but then again you never know....
33.gif

And as you said, I know very few IRL who every changed - at least in my own family etc... Since being married & paying attention to it, I do know several women who made a change for a later anniversary. And I know one friend who married after me, and has now changed hers completely, apparently due to an allergy to YG.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with the ''never going to upgrade'' crowd.
Will wear my original e-ring until I can''t get it over arthritic knuckles. (Hopefully this won''t happen too soon).
I do wear an ''enhancer'' with my e-ring sometimes though, when I feel like it. Not every day but sometimes when I go out.
And I got another solitaire for 25th anniversary which I wear as a RHR. It''s not that much bigger than e-ring,I didn''t want something that would ''overshadow'' my e-ring, if that makes sense, but it''s set in platinum which seems right for a ''silver'' anniversay and its very white and well-cut. It''s so pretty that I think its a nice symbol of 25 years and of being even more in love than we were at the beginning.
Black Jade

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i upgraded twice before we got married! however, i will always keep the ring we got married with. when i get the urge for something else, i''ll just buy something else!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I would never upgrade. Don''t see the need to. I love the ring I got engaged with and it holds too much sentimental value for me to switch it for something else.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 10:44:38 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl

Date: 8/21/2008 4:59:10 PM
Been married for 2 years. I just reset my diamond into something a little funkier and am actually looking to change it back.
20.gif
I miss my solitaire and band combo, LOL!
gecko, I saw you mentioned this in iluvemerald''s thread about custom, and I did pretty much the same - changed the setting and then went back to solitaire. I wonder how many folks have done this? It seems I saw a bunch of threads this year where people either went back to solitaire, or at least were thinking about it....
Hmm - interesting question! I miss the versatility of my solitaire, LOL. My new split shank just doesn''t look good with bands, so I lost that opportunity to add bling, LOL! Oh well... slowly saving and looking for the PERFECT solitaire to set my diamond in, since I''m planning on leaving it there for a loooooong, long while.
3.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
To serial upgraders,(and that isn''t everyone who weighed in here), my husband''s comment about this thread was:

"How do you ignore the importance and significance of the rings you were married with, only to replace them with set after set, year after year? How can you replace sentimentality and something so sacred with just another piece of jewelry -- no matter how nice?"

I have a feeling quite a few men feel that way.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t really upgrade, I added on.

I started out with a solitaire. Few years later I added on two stones. This past year I made it into a full eternity (without using the other two stones, long story and still not quite sure how I made that happen!).

I love all my new additions, and I love that I still have my original stone, but I would also love a new solitaire that I could watch grow throughout the years! I don''t think that is going to happen anytime soon, but I still have two stones to do something with!
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 8:29:29 AM
Author: HollyS
To serial upgraders,(and that isn''t everyone who weighed in here), my husband''s comment about this thread was:

''How do you ignore the importance and significance of the rings you were married with, only to replace them with set after set, year after year? How can you replace sentimentality and something so sacred with just another piece of jewelry -- no matter how nice?''

DH''s quote:

"Women are weird."
2.gif

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
I don''t ever intend on upgrading my ering. Meaning that I would never trade in this stone for another one. Same with my wedding band, I don''t intend on changing it. I''m big on sentimenal value, and they just mean too much to me to trade it in for something else.

That said, I''m all for getting OTHER rings and already have my sights set on plenty of other anniversary/birthday/christmas gifts. haha.
2.gif
But I won''t ever change/exchange my wedding set. I know DH definitely would not be happy if I wanted to change them.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I adore my ring - it was completely chosen by my husband and I am just in love with it (as I am with him).

We''ve discussed the subject of upgrading - and I believe that we will probably upgrade in the future (after we have kids and settle into a great home) - I simply feel that there are more important aspects of life to save our money for - education for our future children, economic disasters, etc.

After about 20 or 25 years of marriage and the kids are gone, I could see us upgrading - I have a 1ct stone and I would LOVE something upwards of 1.5cts - I think 1.6 would be my ideal size (I can dream right?!) But I know I will keep my setting forever - the head of the ring sits on top of the band, so I''m sure a jeweler can make a new head to accommodate a larger diamond....hopefully, at least
1.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Good question! I love reading about everyone else''s upgrades, but I don''t think it''s in my future.

My stone is an heirloom and plenty big for me (1.67ct) so I will definitely not be upgrading the stone. I think in 5-10 years I may (possibly) get the itch to change the setting, but I really don''t see it happening. When I got my ering from my FI I had a few issues with some design aspects (I designed it myself and had a local B&M make it). I wanted to take it back to them and have them re-do it, but it took me a few weeks of convincing my FI to let me because he was so sentimental that it wouldn''t be the ring he proposed with. In the end he was ok with me modifying it very slightly, but I know he would never be ok with me completely changing the setting for something different. I''m sentimental about the stone more than anything else, but I think it''s super cute that he loves my ring.

I guess I''ll just have to stick with RHRs! I''m already planning for something with a cushion or OMC in an antique setting. And maybe a halo after that!
2.gif
31.gif

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
"How do you ignore the importance and significance of the rings you were married with, only to replace them with set after set, year after year? How can you replace sentimentality and something so sacred with just another piece of jewelry -- no matter how nice?"

Yeah, God forbid we men get rid of something that our SO deemed sentimental and important to the relationship ... at least two years of having to do the dishes and no sex for three months. Oh well. Upgrading probably reflects the "growing love" in the relationship (though I am sure that there could be many more rationales for an upgrade ... lol). Anyhow, it all comes down to values and preferences. And I can get a bigger watch and get rid of the old one without feeling guilty about it. Yeah!

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 10:41:35 PM

I would be very surprised if I upgraded. My fiance is very sentimental about the ring he made for me, and I just don''t see him being okay with changing it. Who knows? Maybe he''ll feel differently in ten years. But he went bigger than he planned to for the stone solely so I would not want to turn around and upgrade it.

2.gif
MaggieB, from what I see of your ring in your avatar, you don''t need to! Beautiful ring!
Thanks Old-fashioned girl! And my fiance says double thanks as he can now print this and pull it out whenever I start getting that itch. . .

Who wants to bet that this comes back to bite me in the butt someday?
28.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I should add that I kept my original wedding band. I''ll never get rid of it, even if I don''t wear it.
1.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock

''How do you ignore the importance and significance of the rings you were married with, only to replace them with set after set, year after year? How can you replace sentimentality and something so sacred with just another piece of jewelry -- no matter how nice?''

Not so surprising for couples who are married. After all if the wife wants it, the husband will probably go along even if he''s not for it. It''s not the sort of thing you divorce over.

On the other hand, I''m sort of gob smacked at "engaged" serial upgraders. The guy still has a chance to run for the hills. Either they''re OK with buying 2 or 3 diamonds before the wedding (and that''s cool), or else they''re too dense to see it''s a sign of things to come
23.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 9:46:24 AM

Date: 8/21/2008 10:41:35 PM

2.gif
Thanks Old-fashioned girl! And my fiance says double thanks as he can now print this and pull it out whenever I start getting that itch. . .

Who wants to bet that this comes back to bite me in the butt someday?
28.gif
*watching this space*
9.gif
2.gif

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks for that pp, perhaps you should know the situation of an "enagaged" upgrade before you choose to comment on it!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 10:27:03 AM
Author: Asscherhalo_lover
thanks for that pp, perhaps you should know the situation of an ''enagaged'' upgrade before you choose to comment on it!
As I said (but you chose to focus on the negative aspect), " Either they''re OK with buying 2 or 3 diamonds before the wedding (and that''s cool)..." .

If you and your FI fell into that category then it''s moot isn''t it? If you fell into the other category, then that''s FI''s issue.

Perhaps you should know that not everyone will have an opinion that is completely like yours.
1.gif

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
"thanks for that pp, perhaps you should know the situation of an "enagaged" upgrade before you choose to comment on it!"

Honestly, if by "upgrade" we mean a bigger diamond, I am not sure what "the situation" could be when people choose to upgrade while they are still engaged. Changing the setting is a different matter I think. And I do concur with PP: if a woman upgrades several times while engaged, then that is probably a good indicator of things to come after marriage. If the guy is not OK with it and fails to address it early enough (or indeed run for the hills), then he certainly bears some of the "blame".

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 10:31:58 AM
Author: purrfectpear

Date: 8/22/2008 10:27:03 AM
Author: Asscherhalo_lover
thanks for that pp, perhaps you should know the situation of an 'enagaged' upgrade before you choose to comment on it!
As I said (but you chose to focus on the negative aspect), ' Either they're OK with buying 2 or 3 diamonds before the wedding (and that's cool)...' .

If you and your FI fell into that category then it's moot isn't it? If you fell into the other category, then that's FI's issue.

Perhaps you should know that not everyone will have an opinion that is completely like yours.
1.gif
Perhaps its neither of the things that you suggest?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Well I really consider the following as my only upgrades/changes:

1) Asscher in antique mounting to plain mounting (antique one broke and was too expensive to fix), then with traps. I played around with different options for the diamond, but in the end, it was the color and depth that bothered me.

2) Emerald cut from Tiffany w/ trilliants (which I am not, nor ever was a huge fan of!) that was an amazing deal.

3) Legacy ring (which turned out to have incorrect color due to me buying it off EBay!)

4) Back to original emerald cut due to a return policy :) :) :)

I AM ALWAYS toying with the idea of changing my ring. My ideal ring really was the Legacy, but it needed to be a better color, or changing my EC setting...but I may wait a while---

So I do SOMEDAY think I may change one last time.....

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
I guess that upgrading the ring in terms of a bigger stone while engaged makes sense if the initial ring was not meant to be the "final one" in the first place. I really would like to hear a "good" reason though for why people may get a bigger stone for their e-ring before getting married. Anyone?
41.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The ring is just a ring though. The love and commitment is the foundation of the relationship, not a piece of jewelry. So I don''t see changing the setting of an engagement ring to be that big of a deal. You''re still just as married, whether you have the original rings, new rings, or no rings! I think most men just want their women to be happy with their rings! So if a change is in order, then so be it.
2.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have been married almost 28 years and I have never upgraded my diamond, no desire to. I do have a beautiful Padparadscha Sapphire ring that I wear on my left hand, as an alternative to my wedding ring. DH, helped me pick out the setting from NSC. It was a combo birthday/anniv gift.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results