shape
carat
color
clarity

So pleased with this Tiffany ring

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That tiffany was a steal!!! Way to go! Enjoy that beauty!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your Tiffany visit with us as well! Just fascinating!

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your Tiffany visit with us as well! Just fascinating!
I see in your avatar, you got some nice black arrows in your diamond! ...HOW?!?? Any tips for me? ;;

This was the absolute CLOSEST I could get to making the arrows black, but even then it's more like metallic grey...
MwqWZuT.png

(ugh ignore hair fluffs, diamonds are gross under loupe. Everything is gross under loupe, but so much fun. :lol-2:)

I borrowed my husband's phone to use its flashlight as backlighting, which I heard was the way to get black arrows. Shut off all other lights, but STILL, silver arrows!
wMkgDJv.png

SOhu715.png

And I couldn't really get it to align, so not sure if this is an accurate representation of symmetery, though 'very good' seems about right. And good lord the dirt... I swear I JUST cleaned it, diamonds are nonstop dirt parties huh. :naughty:

I don't think I can rest until I get some perfect black arrow shots, or find out some technical explanation for why it's not possible for some diamonds (is that a thing?).

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I see in your avatar, you got some nice black arrows in your diamond! ...HOW?!?? Any tips for me? ;;

This was the absolute CLOSEST I could get to making the arrows black, but even then it's more like metallic grey...
MwqWZuT.png

(ugh ignore hair fluffs, diamonds are gross under loupe. Everything is gross under loupe, but so much fun. :lol-2:)

I borrowed my husband's phone to use its flashlight as backlighting, which I heard was the way to get black arrows. Shut off all other lights, but STILL, silver arrows!
wMkgDJv.png

SOhu715.png

And I couldn't really get it to align, so not sure if this is an accurate representation of symmetery, though 'very good' seems about right. And good lord the dirt... I swear I JUST cleaned it, diamonds are nonstop dirt parties huh. :naughty:

I don't think I can rest until I get some perfect black arrow shots, or find out some technical explanation for why it's not possible for some diamonds (is that a thing?).

I had a 1.83ct ACA for a few days (before I returned it) and with all the countless pictures I took, I never once saw the arrows, let alone black arrows. So I understand your frustration.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I had a 1.83ct ACA for a few days (before I returned it) and with all the countless pictures I took, I never once saw the arrows, let alone black arrows. So I understand your frustration.
Oh man I thought I was going crazy and everyone else was snapping effortless black arrows! Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. :wavey:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really looks perfect on your hand @chappy

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The arrows turn black with there is something dark obstructing them. The photo in my avatar is taken on my hand with the cell phone obviously in front of the diamond. If you are taking it from afar or backlit, chances are you won't see them black. The real point though is that there ARE arrows - whether they are silver or black in inconsequential. Having those arrows suggests that the stone is cut with some degree of precision.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HIL

Cool loot!

cheers--Sharon

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can capture the black arrows looking through a toilet tissue tube.
IMG_2965.JPG

:eek2: AMAZING and Gorgeous! DF is absolutely right! It does work! THANK - YOU! I just tried it and they look great! What a great tip!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2: AMAZING and Gorgeous! DF is absolutely right! It does work! THANK - YOU! I just tried it and they look great! What a great tip!
It'll only work on liberal diamonds! :wink2:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_2965.JPG

Yep, this is the easiest way to capture arrows, and the only reliable way I've found to do so.

1.) Put ring in ring box (so no light can come in from the bottom).
2.) Put toilet tissue tube over the ring
3.) Place phone/camera right up against the opening of the tube (so the phone/camera is obstructing the light from directly above the ring).
4.) You have your black arrows.

Don't worry about not being able to capture them. In 99.9% of situations, the arrows in your diamond will either a.) not be visible or b.) will show up silver-y. This toilet paper tube trick (or a similar trick with a piece of paper folded into a tube shape) is just about the only way they'll "back out" for you. And even then, you need to do it just right to get the perfect arrow shot.

Your diamond is beautiful and well-cut. And, with it being a colorless/VVS Tiffany, you got it for an absolute steal. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it! :)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cool thread all around!from the sweet deal for ring to your absolutely fun diamond seminar at tiff's. Congratulations!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cool about the toilet paper tube trick! I learn something every day from PS!!!

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Austina thank you, I wouldn't say no to a bigger one but it is great for everyday!

IMG_2965.JPG
Now THAT is a super cool photo (love the pink too)! I honestly tried this though, the very first closeup pics in this thread (with the silvery arrows & rainbow) were taken through a toilet tube!

I tried again tonight with the tube and still only managed silvery arrows. Is it just my diamond is too small (@Dancing Fire - is that what you mean by "only works with liberal diamonds"? haha) and the tube is too long, so it's reflecting the tube's inner color instead of the black of the camera? When I get an empty roll I'm going to cut it in half and try again.

Don't worry about not being able to capture them. In 99.9% of situations, the arrows in your diamond will either a.) not be visible or b.) will show up silver-y. This toilet paper tube trick (or a similar trick with a piece of paper folded into a tube shape) is just about the only way they'll "back out" for you. And even then, you need to do it just right to get the perfect arrow shot.

Your diamond is beautiful and well-cut. And, with it being a colorless/VVS Tiffany, you got it for an absolute steal. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it! :)
Thank you for the detailed explanation! I didn't know the arrows usually showed up silver, as all the photos I see show it in black! Good to know! Do you have any tips on doing it 'just right'? I tried taking the photo: with the toilet roll, using a black ring box, using a white ring box, while wearing black, with a black camera, with a black phone, with and without loupe. No cigar. :doh:

I guess this diamond is "only" well-cut, not super ideal. I am REALLY curious what a super ideal looks like in comparison now, and if I could tell the difference (might have to pay a visit to HOF sometime). Even though it isn't super ideal, it already sparkles edge to edge in near darkness and I am thoroughly enjoying it everywhere! Went swimming today and couldn't stop staring at it underwater. Didn't get much of a workout but had a great time! :mrgreen2:

I wasn't the biggest Tiffany fan (didn't watch "Breakfast at Tiffany's" until after I got this ring hahaha) but now I do have a decent amount of respect for their craftsmanship. I'll still check all HCA angles on any of their diamonds of significant weight. Trust, but verify. :wink2: So very glad all these tools are readily available for consumers, making things more transparent.

RTqPHjq.png

I DID manage to get this one shot, randomly without the toilet roll, which gives me hope that I can one day get all black arrows. It's not a nice arrow shot but the black part looks really cool regardless, like liquid mercury, or oil suspended in water!

oh neat, congrats on your success! Can you post your pic? And what size is your diamond, if you don't mind sharing? What am I doing wrong!! Ahh

CoolKat

Rough_Rock
I have the same thing with my Tiffany bezet too, Chappy! No matter what I do it'd only showing up silvery arrows :(2

I googled the heck out of it :read: & found that unfortunately it might have something to do with the diamond contrast :cry2:
https://yourdiamondteacher.com/diamond-4cs/light-performance/diamond-contrast-effect-on-brilliance/

Hope it's ok to post the above link here. I found the explanations were easier for me to understand my silvery arrows in the article above. The PS version of diamond contrast explanation is more complicated to my beginner mind :eek2:o_O
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/role_contrast_diamond_appearance

I'm still madly in love with mine, contrast or no contrast - it still sparkles like crazy :kiss2:

Hope this helps!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have anything in the .5 range to compare.
The picture you posted looks like direct light is still getting in there. Remember to only have off set lighting.

The liberal reference was a joke between DF and me. Until recently I was a republican. It doesn't have anything to do with your ring. :lol-2:

You have some great pictures. Try doing only off set lighting and that should help you see them.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have the same thing with my Tiffany bezet too, Chappy! No matter what I do it'd only showing up silvery arrows :(2

I googled the heck out of it :read: & found that unfortunately it might have something to do with the diamond contrast :cry2:
https://yourdiamondteacher.com/diamond-4cs/light-performance/diamond-contrast-effect-on-brilliance/

Hope it's ok to post the above link here. I found the explanations were easier for me to understand my silvery arrows in the article above. The PS version of diamond contrast explanation is more complicated to my beginner mind :eek2:o_O
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/role_contrast_diamond_appearance

I'm still madly in love with mine, contrast or no contrast - it still sparkles like crazy :kiss2:

Hope this helps!
Huh!! Very interesting articles, thanks for the links! I wonder if Tiff does it on purpose, or if they just have room for improvement? Now I'm curious if mine is just too poorly cut for black arrows (guess I will need to try and take an idealscope image).

I don't have anything in the .5 range to compare.
The picture you posted looks like direct light is still getting in there. Remember to only have off set lighting.

The liberal reference was a joke between DF and me. Until recently I was a republican. It doesn't have anything to do with your ring. :lol-2:

You have some great pictures. Try doing only off set lighting and that should help you see them.
:lol-2: ohh I see!

Hmm I'm covering most of the roll with the camera, didn't see any direct light hitting the diamond today. Don't you just lean directly overtop for the picture? I guess I will just have to keep trying! Thanks for the encouragement.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Hi @chappy, your diamond is GORGEOUS!! Don't worry about comparing to a super ideal. Maybe a super ideal will be in your future. For now, enjoy that sparkly beauty and be proud of the deal you got!!! And you got the added bonus of going to Tiffany's "Diamond School" :lol-2: So awesome. I. AM. JEALOUS. :mrgreen:

:wavey:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @chappy, your diamond is GORGEOUS!! Don't worry about comparing to a super ideal. Maybe a super ideal will be in your future. For now, enjoy that sparkly beauty and be proud of the deal you got!!! And you got the added bonus of going to Tiffany's "Diamond School" :lol-2: So awesome. I. AM. JEALOUS. :mrgreen:

:wavey:
Honestly I'm just curious, would love to be able to come to a pricescope get-together and ogle everyone's sparklers! I'm really so happy with this piece and wouldn't change a thing, just want to learn a LOT more about diamonds and wishing for more opportunities to do so (best way short of a career change is to acquire more diamonds, or make new friends I suppose!).

Sorry for all the photos, still having a lot of fun capturing its patterns (and still trying (and failing) for black arrows).

qw5pC5M.png

This looks like a firecracker!

I can kinda see black arrows at a distance with my eyes, but as soon as I bring it up close it disappears. Perhaps that's why everyone here is a fan of big diamonds, the bigger the better! So hard to squint at a distance.

JuysvoI.png

Also I've realized the little gap in my phone case letting the camera peek through, also allows a portion of the back of the phone (silver) to peek through. That could be what's getting reflected. My camera is black, but has very poor near focus. Perhaps the fault lies in my tools, will have to try again when I get a hold of a black phone!

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the silver arrows! :love: This thread had me checking my original stone (1.25ct) for them too. My pics came out too blurry (will have to try again later) but they are there.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Honestly I'm just curious, would love to be able to come to a pricescope get-together and ogle everyone's sparklers! I'm really so happy with this piece and wouldn't change a thing, just want to learn a LOT more about diamonds and wishing for more opportunities to do so (best way short of a career change is to acquire more diamonds, or make new friends I suppose!).

Sorry for all the photos, still having a lot of fun capturing its patterns (and still trying (and failing) for black arrows).

qw5pC5M.png

This looks like a firecracker!

I can kinda see black arrows at a distance with my eyes, but as soon as I bring it up close it disappears. Perhaps that's why everyone here is a fan of big diamonds, the bigger the better! So hard to squint at a distance.

JuysvoI.png

Also I've realized the little gap in my phone case letting the camera peek through, also allows a portion of the back of the phone (silver) to peek through. That could be what's getting reflected. My camera is black, but has very poor near focus. Perhaps the fault lies in my tools, will have to try again when I get a hold of a black phone!

I agree, I also am curious to learn more about diamonds. I purchased a stone last week from WF and waiting for it to be set in the ring I sent to them. But I still keep coming back to PS to read what opinions and thoughts more experienced PS'ers give so I can learn more.

Nice photos above!!! :love:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This happy accident came together for a photo; my hamster running around decided to step on my ring with her little hand. She doesn't stay still for long so this is miraculously unblurry(ish).

VNg49mh.png

bFu2E5g.png

See it's almost like she's grabbing it in her tiny little short fingers! :kiss2: Boy on her fingers the diamond would look about a 50ct. :lol-2:

Ok I'll stop with the photos for a while. 8) Just obsessing a bit (lot)!!

I agree, I also am curious to learn more about diamonds. I purchased a stone last week from WF and waiting for it to be set in the ring I sent to them. But I still keep coming back to PS to read what opinions and thoughts more experienced PS'ers give so I can learn more.

Nice photos above!!! :love:
Can't wait to see your new addition! WF should be a good one. :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results