shape
carat
color
clarity

So pleased with this Tiffany ring

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I never imagined I'd own a Tiffany diamond ring, because A) overpriced B) overpriced C) there's so many better choices online. In fact I set out intending to buy a CBI diamond, and only stopped in Tiffany to check what colors I'm comfortable with! Husband just HAD to go and fall in love with their 0.47 classic solitaire, smaller than I thought I wanted but it DID look best on my finger (at least in the classic Tiffany setting; over ~0.5ct and the band starts getting wider). I also fell for their silky platinum, I think the knife edge really sells the luxurious weight of plat.

However, for the price of their 0.47 I could be getting a super-ideal 0.8 CBI, which didn't feel fair especially since I already did my research. So, I turned to the internets again, and almost immediately came upon THE perfect ring. It had promising cut (thanks HCA and the kind folks here who gave me advice!), and was an exact size match to the one we wanted in the store.

Bidding was also a lot lower than similar rings, and this I attribute to the less than optimal keywords (it didn't have either "ring" or "diamond" in the title, so searching for "tiffany diamond ring" excluded this listing. In fact, if I hadn't immediately bookmarked it I probably would've lost it for good, since subsequent searches never turned up this listing). It ended up costing 1.6k, less than the price of a decent platinum setting! :eek2: I literally feel like I stole it.

And here she is:
7aRP7nq.jpg

0.47 F VVS2. I hadn't even considered the F VVS range before (since G/VS looks great already), and feel incredibly lucky to own this little beauty. I even managed to get some arrow shots, which was surprising since symmetry is her weakest point at "Very Good".

vjkHluO.png

8OewXnL.png

Got this shot by accident when trying to get arrows, thought it was cool:
VXgAmmC.png

One day I'd still like to own a super-ideal, but for now I'm more than satisfied. The SA that helped me at Tiffany's was really cool about me getting it second hand, and even invited me to some sort of "Diamond Academy" this weekend. I know it's probably a marketing thing but I'm still excited to go, apparently they let you polish diamonds or something!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0.47 F VVS2 diamond in a platinum ring from Tiffany for $1600?

That is a steal, congrats!! :)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nice!!!

Q

Queenie60

Very nice! Enjoy

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty!! Did it come with all its original paperwork/folio?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Thats super pretty!! Lucky find!!!

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and look great on you :love:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is absolutely gorgeous dream ring stuff right there! And at such an amazing price!! Congratulations!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring to begin with but that price makes it even more sweet! Enjoy!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! Enjoy wearing it

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a steal on a gorgeous and iconic ring! :love:

Congrats! :wavey:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I need to get it resized but don't want to part with it just yet so been wearing it happily on my right hand middle finger. :D

U0lezw4.jpg

Any tips on getting black arrows to show up? I've tried backlit and toplit but can only seem to see silvery arrows. :think:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So pretty!! Did it come with all its original paperwork/folio?
Yes, it did! Tiffany appraisal papers with original date of purchase/owner name, Tiffany cert and everything in immaculate condition, only missing the box which I don't need.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Score! Enjoy the sparkle and that extra frission of pleasure at having gotten a bargain as well :appl:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clever girl, beautiful ring.
Well done :appl:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful find!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful on your hand! Congrats!!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing and for your gorgeous photos!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pictures please!

Jimgaield

Rough_Rock
"More pictures please!"

Yes please! I would love to see more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous.:love:

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
More pictures please!

"More pictures please!"

Yes please! I would love to see more.

You certainly don't need to ask twice! I was gonna post more anyway. :oops: Thanks for fawning over my tiny rock, it's not much compared to what's normal here but it is hands-down my nicest diamond! Been trying to get a shot of black arrows, still failing...

Crop of the backlit, again silvery arrows:
7jKw5To.png

Tried to put it in a cup, I thiiink one of the arrows is black? Or just something else, idk...
JDX31a2.png

Tried to put it under a loupe for easier focus, unexpectedly started throwing purple flashes! There was no purple in the environment, so I wonder what it could be?? Is the lens of the loupe itself coated in ultraviolet or something? Also, yet again, silvery arrows...
6CyLxTm.png

Tried to cup it under sunlight, but there wasn't much sun today... And again, silvery arrows.
WOyJQdZ.png

These are the very first two pics I took when I opened the package, at the time I was wearing my mom's ring which looked pretty nice by itself but in comparison started looking like frozen spit. ;( My mom doesn't care for rings otherwise I'd get her an upgrade for sure!
W17bs2v.png

How do you guys take pictures of the arrows being black instead of silvery?? What am I doing wrong? If there's NO arrows I'd assume the symmetry is too poor for arrows, but I do see them in silver all the time. :confused: Tips?

There's so much depth I can't capture with the camera, but my eyes could just stare into it forever. Blissful sigh.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Frozen spit" :lol-2:

That profile.... swoonsome!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring looks stunning. You really scored a nice deal - terrific you have all the paperwork. Enjoy it!!!

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Got pictures of its fluorescence, and even arrows under fluor, but why can't I get the arrows to go dark?? :confused::confused::confused:

wEO4zi7.png

SXDyjyT.png

It just stubbornly reflects silver no matter what angle I try. Is it really just poor symmetry, and it's an impossible task with this diamond? Or am I missing some technique? If it's just poor symmetry I'll sit back and enjoy it, but otherwise I'd really like to learn how to photograph black arrows!

cXM4IbJ.png

(sidenote: yes it's dirty, while taking pics I accidentally dropped it into a potted plant...)

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well this ring also got me an invite to Tiffany's Diamond Academy, so here's some pics from yesterday, I think it might be of interest!

m5M5ADd.png

Here's a polishing station and a powerful microscope, the latter which is used to grade diamond clarity, symmetry, and polish.

ncnj2Lh.png

and this is their color master, which was a real treat to see in person! The range shown here is E-F-G-H-I-J-K.

VbBBeR0.png

To polish diamonds, they use a spinning wheel coated in diamond dust.

nGXGNEG.png

I got to try polishing a rough diamond (ugly black lump), it was very weirdly satisfying.

vmlQGDQ.png

Afterwards we were invited to touch the wheel as it spun (doesn't hurt!), and that's some diamond dust on my finger. :mrgreen2:

5yGNbND.png

Everyone got their own diamonds to grade, this was one of mine. 1ct, E, VS2; I accidentally judged it VVS1, and I didn't even notice the actual inclusion (what I plotted was some dust LOL).

sqCzZ4v.png

You stick it under the high-powered microscope and boy, this part was soooo fun.

1Z0TDQU.png

Can't really get a good photo of what I saw under there, but you can get so up and personal with the diamond! I misplotted the prong reflection as a feather. :oops:

TYM0gQG.png

My very first attempt at grading a diamond! When comparing against the master diamonds, I noticed this particular one was pinkish/brownish. That made it really difficult to judge against the yellow tint of the masters; I thought it was a J, when it turned out to be an H!! I got the color on the other ones right though, fairly easy. :bigsmile:

(tbc in next post because not allowed over 10 pics per post)

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
9TdQkGj.png

After 'graduating', we got some free loot, like stationary and some jeweler's starter kit. My absolute fav gift was the awesome loupe!

wJmJOmn.png

Taking photos under their loupe is so much better!

LBYonxT.png

Almost looks like their ad (if only it was cleaner). :kiss2:

jrF7iOP.png

As a special request, I asked to see the serial inscription on my ring (just to extra-confirm authenticity, but also because it's cool), and they had another digital magnifier for this purpose.

FErHoHF.png

This 200% reassured me it's genuine. I know you can fake inscriptions, but you can't fake quality and the combination of everything eases that last 0.00001% of worry I had.

I've learned that I'm very sensitive to color BUT I just don't care! Looks great anyway, all the up to K! Also, inclusions matter less than keeping it clean. My ring is supposed to be VVS2 but god it looked terrible under the microscope, as compared to a clean I1! Probably because I dropped it in a plant earlier, but still, I really thought I rinsed it thoroughly! Cut is absolutely king, and makes all the difference that I could care for.

So next time I'm in the market for a super-ideal I'm getting the lowest clarity and lowest color available bwahahhaa.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely awesome experience! Thank you for documenting all of that and sharing it. Very fascinating!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results