shape
carat
color
clarity

So much money! So little idea...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 12:19:29 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
You know what? For the amount you're spending, I'd personally rather have the ring from Tiffany's. As long as the stone falls in the AGS0 parameters, why not get the beautiful Tiffany setting? Tiffany is known worldwide, but I have never even heard of Hardy. I'd go for D or E VVS anytime. No reason to pay for IF, in my opinion.

ArjunaJane, Ellen, honey22 and LittleGreyKitten respectfully disagree...
2.gif

Hardy Brothers is not a concern quality wise, and she may want a custom setting, I really don't know.

F/IF is something this thread has taught me is not going to benefit the appearance of the stone. But it'll benefit its appearance in my mind... Silly I know, but there I am, making an informed decision.

Back to my questions though:

(0.93, D, IF, Excellent, MEDIUM FLURO, HCA - 1 - Ex, ex, ex, vg)
US $12,970.98

Carat 0.93
Colour D
Clarity IF
Total Depth 61.9
Pavilion Depth 43.00
Table 56.00
Dimensions 6.26*6.22*3.86
Crown Angle 34.50
Pavilion Angle 0.00
Girdle 2.33
Fluorescence M
Lustre VG
Polish EX
Symmetry EX

Is this a 'better' cut than the other contenders? Something about TIC - 1 makes me happy! Is it better than the other two a couple of posts ago? (TIC - 1.3 (0.85 carat) and FIC - 2 (0.86 carat) - Neither with fluoro)

Is medium blue in a D stone going to be beneficial, unnoticeable or detrimental?

I'm excited about this one! Am I right to be?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really a much better cut. As stated previously, below 2 score is mostly good, you have to see it yourself after that.

Medium Blue is personal preference I would say. Usually unnoticeable unless in the presence of UV source and since it is only MB even then it will not be very obvious.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 8:58:42 AM
Author: golfimbul

US $12,970.98

Carat 0.93
Colour D
Clarity IF
Total Depth 61.9
Pavilion Depth 43.00
Table 56.00
Crown Angle 34.50
Pavilion Angle 0.00
Girdle 2.33
Fluorescence M
Lustre VG
Polish EX
Symmetry EX

Is this a 'better' cut than the other contenders? Something about TIC - 1 makes me happy! Is it better than the other two a couple of posts ago? (TIC - 1.3 (0.85 carat) and FIC - 2 (0.86 carat) - Neither with fluoro)

Is medium blue in a D stone going to be beneficial, unnoticeable or detrimental?

I'm excited about this one! Am I right to be?
This one certainly has potential too. But that's the thing, without an IS pic, we can't say much more.

As for the flo, from everything I've read on here from experts, it is most beneficial in lower colored stones, around J and down. I know Gary mentioned liking it in higher colors, I've just never heard from anyone else say that it makes a difference in the colorless range. But it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. At med, I would guess you might not see anything, we don't know. There are variable with this.

Addressing your question/comment earlier about stones scoring less than two all being great, no. All it means to get a score under two (and preferably with the x in the overlap area) is that it has potential, and it's time to get more info on it. It's for eliminating, not picking. Also, a 1 is not better than a 1.5.
28.gif

So again, this one has potential, wish I could say more.

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 9:28:14 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 9/28/2008 8:58:42 AM

US $12,970.98

Carat 0.93
Colour D
Clarity IF
Total Depth 61.9
Pavilion Depth 43.00
Table 56.00
Crown Angle 34.50
Pavilion Angle 0.00
Girdle 2.33
Fluorescence M
Lustre VG
Polish EX
Symmetry EX

Is this a ''better'' cut than the other contenders? Something about TIC - 1 makes me happy! Is it better than the other two a couple of posts ago? (TIC - 1.3 (0.85 carat) and FIC - 2 (0.86 carat) - Neither with fluoro)

I''m excited about this one! Am I right to be?
This one certainly has potential too. But that''s the thing, without an IS pic, we can''t say much more.

As for the flo, from everything I''ve read on here from experts, it is most beneficial in lower colored stones, around J and down. I know Gary mentioned liking it in higher colors, I''ve just never heard from anyone else say that it makes a difference in the colorless range. But it certainly wouldn''t hurt anything. At med, I would guess you might not see anything, we don''t know. There are variable with this.

Addressing your question/comment earlier about stones scoring less than two all being great, no. All it means to get a score under two (and preferably with the x in the overlap area) is that it has potential, and it''s time to get more info on it. It''s for eliminating, not picking. Also, a 1 is not better than a 1.5.
28.gif

So again, this one has potential, wish I could say more.

It''s listed on Angara now too... They have the GIA cert which has the pavilion angle (not just depth)...

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.22 - 6.26 x 3.86 mm
Carat Weight: 0.93
Color Grade: D
Clarity Grade: IF
Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:
Depth: 61.9 %
Table: 56 %
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15 %
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Pavilion Depth: 43 %
Star length: 50 %
Lower Half: 80 %
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None

Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium Blue

Clarity Characteristics:
Comments: Minor details of polish are present.

Sadly, it has now moved out of AGS0 range (HCA 0.8, Ex, ex, ex, vg)

Perhaps I need an IS image as you say Ellen, so you guys can check it out for me. I wonder if Angara ships to australia... They are cheaper than MDX (even when you add 10% on to their price for our aussie tax). Bit risky with the fluoro factor though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
golf, another thing is, that you may not be aware of, GIA rounds their numbers. So in reality, it could actually be a 34.8/40.7, which puts it back in AGS. Considering everything, you really need to work with one of the vendors who will give you the most info.

If this is a virtual stone, which I'm assuming it is, I'd have WF or GOG call it in. Then you will get everything you need and know beyond a shadow of a doubt. You can ask Angara for more info, but I've not heard of anyone getting anything more, but then admittedly, I've not heard of anyone getting a diamond there.

And then you could find out about the flo too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Golf you really need to SEE a range of diamonds. Looking at the paper stats only gives reassurance. It doesn''t give any guarantee of performance or that, more importantly, you''ll love it.

I''ve read through this whole thread and this http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4508/ looks fantastic. GOG is highly recommended on here and I saw a recent thread where they had put together a video of 2 cushion cut diamonds for somebody to compare. Perhaps as you''re in Oz that might be something to consider?

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice Ellen and LovingDiamonds...

I''ve kind of combined your advice and e-mailed GoodOldGold explaining the situation. Hopefully they can help by ''calling in'' the stone as you say Ellen and analysing it for me and giving me their expert opinion.

I must confess the reason I shy away from that very nice stone LovingDiamonds is due to the VVS1 category (I know that''s ridiculous). I''d far rather a nice blue glow (if that''s what it turns out to be) than a knowledge of an imperfection any day (no matter how deranged that sounds
26.gif
)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 10:39:28 AM
Thanks for the advice Ellen and LovingDiamonds...

I''ve kind of combined your advice and e-mailed GoodOldGold explaining the situation. Hopefully they can help by ''calling in'' the stone as you say Ellen and analysing it for me and giving me their expert opinion.

I must confess the reason I shy away from that very nice stone LovingDiamonds is due to the VVS1 category (I know that''s ridiculous). I''d far rather a nice blue glow (if that''s what it turns out to be) than a knowledge of an imperfection any day (no matter how deranged that sounds
26.gif
)
Good deal. Just be aware they are closed today and tomorrow, so it will be Tuesday at the earliest that you hear anything. But you are definitely on the right track now.
28.gif

Keep us posted!

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
How long do you think it''ll take for them to analyse it and contact me/post the results?

I feel I''ve got so many pots boiling at the moment (0.85 D, IF from MDX + Tiffany''s (who I''m going to boot anyway) and now GOG...)

I really hope GOG think this one is a good performer... I''d hate to waste their time.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Golf from what I''ve read on here, their Customer Service is excellent but bear in mind the time difference as it might make things take a bit longer.

If you have a minute, look at this thread and the video in the first post : https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-ct-cushion-vs-3-ct-cushion-video-which-would-you-choose.96128/

What you''ll see here is that the opinion on these two diamonds is completely divided and the stats (after seeing the video) aren''t important to most people. They are judging the diamonds on what they see. If you''d asked me whether I''d prefer a 3ct or 2ct stone I''d say 3ct! Then I saw the video and it''s a no-brainer that I would go for the 2ct on performance alone!

Can you tell the difference between the colour? Can you see a difference in clarity? The only obvious difference is the size and cut.

Hope this helps.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 10:50:36 AM
How long do you think it'll take for them to analyse it and contact me/post the results?

I feel I've got so many pots boiling at the moment (0.85 D, IF from MDX + Tiffany's (who I'm going to boot anyway) and now GOG...)

I really hope GOG think this one is a good performer... I'd hate to waste their time.
I have no idea how long it takes for a stone to be called in, but I'm guessing only a few days (or less). Then a day or two to run all the tests. But you want to get this right, so let's be patient. Also, you are now working with possibly THE pickiest vendor on here, so you're in good hands. If it were me, I'd let the others go and stick with GOG, they can hands down give you more than any of the others.

p.s. I would ask to speak directly with Jon.

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
How do I get on to Jon?

Gee I hope this stone is the one, I''ve really burnt a few bridges now!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's their contact page. Scroll down to Product Ordering and Customer Service (diamond questions), for an email addy. Also has their phone number.

And if it turns out not to be the one, don't fret, just let him find you one. He has several suppliers.
28.gif

http://goodoldgold.com/ContactUs/

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
Still no word from GOG... Hopefully today.

I hope they think this is a good stone. I need to start planning the moment!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are off on sunday and monday so that is expected.

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 7:11:36 AM
Still no word from GOG... Hopefully today.

I hope they think this is a good stone. I need to start planning the moment!
I don''t know about GOG''s schedule specifically, but just wanted to note that it''s Rosh Hashanah today and tomorrow, so they may not be open til Wednesday?

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
Ahhh! I got an e-mail from them saying they didn''t have access to this diamond...

They sound very nice, but I really do wish to have this particular diamond checked out...

Who do you guys suggest as my next point of call?

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
I just called an independant diamond broker here in Australia on my friend''s recommendation. I asked if he could get this diamond in for me to view it. He said he couldn''t and then very honestly said that at the price MDX are offering it, with its certificate specifications and the current currency conversion between the US dollar and the AU dollar that I should buy it immediately.

I have acted on this and begun the purchasing process for AU $15,000 (including tax). This equates to US $11 911.50. Angara price was of course $10,398.28 + 10% = $11438.10.

An extra US $500, not as bad as I would have thought!

They said there is a 14 day money back guarantee so I''m just going to pick it up, check it out in various lighting (for milkiness etc) and that''ll be it.

I just wanted to report in to thank everyone for all their wonderful advice. I''m glad there is this community of well meaning people here for people to help them in what is a very difficult and nervous time.

Now I just need to hear "Yes"...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Luck then. :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 4:03:02 AM
I just called an independant diamond broker here in Australia on my friend''s recommendation. I asked if he could get this diamond in for me to view it. He said he couldn''t and then very honestly said that at the price MDX are offering it, with its certificate specifications and the current currency conversion between the US dollar and the AU dollar that I should buy it immediately.

I have acted on this and begun the purchasing process for AU $15,000 (including tax). This equates to US $11 911.50. Angara price was of course $10,398.28 + 10% = $11438.10.

An extra US $500, not as bad as I would have thought!

They said there is a 14 day money back guarantee so I''m just going to pick it up, check it out in various lighting (for milkiness etc) and that''ll be it.

I just wanted to report in to thank everyone for all their wonderful advice. I''m glad there is this community of well meaning people here for people to help them in what is a very difficult and nervous time.

Now I just need to hear ''Yes''...
I really doubt that will be a problem, it''s mainly strong to very strong that cause problems.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

And you''re very welcome.

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
Well I picked it up today.

It looks wonderful! Very sparkly and clear white (no milkiness). Crispy! A hint of blue in the sunlight.

It came with a heart and arrows viewer. When I look at the diamond under it, it appears to have very slight clefts in the hearts, likely too much for it to be classified as hearts and arrows. I tried to take a photo but wasn''t able to get a good one.

I''m pretty happy with it to be honest. Very happy with Diamond Exchange too. I tried to check out the GIA laser inscription but could only just barely make out one or two digits with a 10x loupe.

Thanks again for the help...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!
36.gif

We''d love to see pics sometime, and good luck!

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
I''m having trouble taking pics of it actually... The camera never seems to focus properly on the diamond...

I tried taking a picture down the H&A viewer, but it was not clear enough to demonstrate the little clefts in the hearts either so I thought it wouldn''t be of much use to you guys.

How on earth do you photograph these little beggars? (Not that I''ll have an opportunity for a little while!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
See if your camera has a macromode, usually designated with a little flower icon. If so, put that on, flash off, and use regular daylight. Also, you have to hold the camera VERY still!

golfimbul

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/24/2008 6:14:12 PM
Author: Ellen
See if your camera has a macromode, usually designated with a little flower icon. If so, put that on, flash off, and use regular daylight. Also, you have to hold the camera VERY still!
I found it quite hard to get good pictures. I couldn''t get the sparkles or flashes at all.

Anyway, I''m sure they''ll give you some idea!

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4583/img2780cv3.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4795/img2786en6.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4127/img2782pv2.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1517/img2779pp6.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/555/img2777nm4.jpg

I''m pretty happy to say there''s no milkiness. I won''t be able to take it out again, so I hope these photos do it justice. Perhaps when it''s set I can grab some more...

Thanks again, feel free to comment (positive and negative) on what you think of the stone.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2008 3:03:11 AM

Perhaps when it''s set I can grab some more...

Thanks again, feel free to comment (positive and negative) on what you think of the stone.
Absolutely!

You ended up getting some very clear shots, good job, it looks great! And you''re very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results