shape
carat
color
clarity

So I''ve been researching cat breeders...and kittens are expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking at at least $800 for one kitten!
23.gif
And that does not include transportation or shipping costs - I can find only one breeder for Siberians in my area and they''re still over 4 hours away, and I don''t have a car.

Does $800 seem excessive for one animal? Would you pay it? I''ll have the money - this will be this fall (let''s not talk about waiting lists!) but still, I''m in sticker shock, I think (when we got our Chihuahua, we went with a private, first-time breeder and paid only $250).

I wish rescues were an option, but I''m fairly allergic to cats and I''m looking specifically for breeds that produce lower levels of the allergen in their saliva. That puts mixes and shelter kitties out
7.gif
(I''m still getting an allergy skin test in a few weeks before committing to anything though)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Murphy (an Abyssinian)was $800-$1000... I can't remember the exact price. He was SO worth it though!

edited to add-I think $800 is totally reasonable for an allergen-reduced animal. I've seen some that go for $1500 or more!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
For a good quality animal, that is a reasonable price.

Remember, good breeders often test their animals for congenital disorders yearly (for example in Bull terriers, before breeding they test the sire and the dam for kidney functions and do an echocardiogram)which do cost money and also many good breeders do have a health guarantee on the litter that is produced.

Also, if there aren''t many breeders of that particular breed, the price does go up as well. For instance a Toyger Kitten can go for $2000 that is just pet quality.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
If you''re not interested in a shelter pet...have you considered rescue? Did breeds have rescue groups and you could always find your cat thru that.

But, no that doesn''t seem high...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is really expensive (but I'm not experienced in cats from breeders). Did you decide not to get a bunny?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 4:12:59 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
My Murphy (an Abyssinian)was $800-$1000... I can''t remember the exact price. He was SO worth it though!

edited to add-I think $800 is totally reasonable for an allergen-reduced animal. I''ve seen some that go for $1500 or more!

True. Although I think Siberians are naturally low allergen producers so maybe that''s why the price isn''t ridiculous - like the cats that are specifically bred (I think) for low allergens, that are several thousand and have like a 2 year waiting list
3.gif
Until lately I really only knew about adoption fees for shelters (which are much lower) so maybe that''s why I was surprised. Then again, I think puppies from breeders around the same price too so not really shocking

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 4:18:03 PM
Author: Resonance.Of.Life
For a good quality animal, that is a reasonable price.

Remember, good breeders often test their animals for congenital disorders yearly (for example in Bull terriers, before breeding they test the sire and the dam for kidney functions and do an echocardiogram)which do cost money and also many good breeders do have a health guarantee on the litter that is produced.

Also, if there aren''t many breeders of that particular breed, the price does go up as well. For instance a Toyger Kitten can go for $2000 that is just pet quality.

You''re right. I forgot about the testing, and also just very careful regulation of the breeding lines to avoid inbreeding, genetic disorders, etc. There is a lot of time and work being put into a kitten from the breeders. I''ve definitely seen other Siberians for over $1000 - I think the breeders that are fairly near me are pricing theirs at $900 so it could definitely be worse. And I think Siberians are fairly rare (at least not as common as other breeds in the US). Well, if I''m getting one, I''ll be putting my gemstone purchasing on hold this summer
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 4:20:00 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
If you''re not interested in a shelter pet...have you considered rescue? Did breeds have rescue groups and you could always find your cat thru that.

But, no that doesn''t seem high...

I did look. Nothing available now other than one fully grown adult, but I''ll keep looking. Since I still have several months, it''s very possible I''ll find one through a rescue and that would actually work out really well.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 4:21:40 PM
Author: MC
Wow, that is really expensive (but I''m not experienced in cats from breeders). Did you decide not to get a bunny?

Hey MC! Nope, no bunny. In the end, BF and I decided that if we wanted to take on a years-long commitment like a pet, we wanted to get either a cat or dog. Dogs are our first choice but really not a possibility because of our current apartment situation, and because we''ll be moving to a (most likely) tiny little place in NY soon (and he doesn''t want a small dog). I love cats too so I''m fine with that - just need one that won''t trigger massive allergies like my friend''s monster of a cat (who basically triggers allergies in everyone but his owner!).

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Price doesn''t necessarily mean a good quality animal either. Just research the breeder throughly. A lot of backyard breeders are out there trying to make a buck and these little guys suffer in the meanwhile.

For breeder referrals you can always go to whatever registry Cats are in (AKC for dogs)they often have quality breeder referrals.

Also, being that I have allergies myself, each individual cat causes a different reaction. I''ve had a reaction to some Siamese and others no. So, spending some time with the kittens may be a good idea too if you can swing it.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
So no bunnies for you, Brown.Eyed.Girl?
2.gif
I don't think $800 is at all unreasonable for a cat (or a dog) from a good breeding program. In fact, many go for much more.

Just out of curiosity, since I'm allergic to cats, what other breeds are known to be low allergy? I went through the same thinking as you since we can't get a dog for a few years, but realized that we just are not cat people. Haha. I'm still curious though since, until recently, I didn't realize that any cat breeds were low allergen (other than hairless ones).

And you mentioned you're getting tested for it? I'm curious to see what your results are. I was recently tested (for like the third or fourth time) and was told that I am allergic to dogs. Now I've been around dogs my entire life and have never ever had a problem, so who knows? Just warning you to consider the severity of the cat allergy results to something you know that you react strongly to (in my case, cat had a huuuge reaction while dog was tiny in comparison, so it put the results into perspective).

Good luck with your cat search!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so here are my $.02.

I am allergic to cats. I have four rescues at home right now (3 of which are mine). It really depends on how bad your allergies are and what you can put up with. For me, I have to take Zyrtec most days anyway, so the cats really don''t bug me at all.

If it were me, I''d see if you can find a breed rescue that has papered (certified...lol) cats. I don''t know what breeds you are looking for, but if you are willing to pay for shipping, you might be surprised at what you find available through these rescues.

Finally, this is just the advice I give to my friends. And you can take it or leave it. But, if you are getting a breed cat, please consider making a healthy donation to a rescue/ shelter when you do. So at least you can be a part of helping the babies out there that didn''t work for you. And right now the shelters and rescues are REALLY hurting so everything helps. Breeders can control their production based on demand. But shelters and rescues are just completely overrun right now.

Finally... know anyone who is looking for a REALLY grumpy lap cat?
9.gif
I will pay for shipping. Seriously.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to everything Resonance of Life said re: good quality breeders, testing, etc... VERY IMPORTANT not to support backyard breeders.

Also, as an immunologist, I just thought I''d chime in a little bit about the allergies.

So the way that allergies to cats and dogs work (as related to your situation) is this: some breeds are generally less allergenic than others (in dogs, poodles and schnauzers are good examples, in cats, Siberians are a good example, though I think there are others). However, and this is crucial, just because some breeds are LESS allergenic, doesn''t mean that a) all members of this breed (or mixed breed) are less allergenic (i.e. each animals is an individual - this is true for mixes as well, so there are probably mixes out there that you would hardly be allergic to at all), OR that b) you will respond to all members of that breed the same way. Additionally, your response to an animal as a baby can be totally different than your response to that same animal as an adult.

For this reason, I wonder if perhaps trying to purchase a Siberian kitten from a rescue is truly the best strategy for you, given your allergies. I worry about it for a couple of reasons - the first is that even if you don''t respond to Siberians in general, there is always a possibility you will respond to this one. The second is that while you may not have a reaction to the kitten, the adult cat might be another matter entirely.

If I were you, I''d consider a couple of things. First, I know how (incredibly!) tempting it is to get a kitten, but in your case, there are significant advantages to considering an older (6+ months) animal - you would know how the allergens would be for that particular kitty vs. your allergies, and also, it would likely be less expensive. For adult animals, rescue is a great option, but you can also ask your breeder for slightly older animals that they are looking for homes for - often these are animals that they thought might be show/breeding prospects but then didn''t mature as they expected, or who have done their showing and breeding and been retired early, for whatever reason.

The second thing I think you really need to consider is the possibility that you will likely have to treat your allergies with something, no matter what cat you get, especially at first. I''m guessing the reason your friend doesn''t react to her own kitty is because she lives with him and has become tolerized. This is very common and will likely happen to you with any kitty you get, but it takes some time, and can''t be 100% guaranteed - this happened to my husband, and he doesn''t need anything for his allergies to our kitties, but my allergies have gotten worse over the years and now require medication (which is OTC and fairly innocuous, FYI).

Anyway, I hope that that information is helpful as you think about this decision - I don''t mean to doubt your choices, I just know that many people don''t fully understand the considerations above about pets and allergies, and I hope this information can help you avoid getting a kitten or cat who ends up being a bad fit with your allergies.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 4:47:55 PM
Author: Gypsy

I am allergic to cats. I have four rescues at home right now (3 of which are mine). It really depends on how bad your allergies are and what you can put up with. For me, I have to take Zyrtec most days anyway, so the cats really don''t bug me at all.

If it were me, I''d see if you can find a breed rescue that has papered (certified...lol) cats. I don''t know what breeds you are looking for, but if you are willing to pay for shipping, you might be surprised at what you find available through these rescues.

Finally, this is just the advice I give to my friends. And you can take it or leave it. But, if you are getting a breed cat, please consider making a healthy donation to a rescue/ shelter when you do. So at least you can be a part of helping the babies out there that didn''t work for you. And right now the shelters and rescues are REALLY hurting so everything helps. Breeders can control their production based on demand. But shelters and rescues are just completely overrun right now.

9.gif

You''re trying to pawn off one too? Hehe. I have one that just LOVES to snuggle, but try to push him off your lap and you''ll get a hiss and a swift paw to the face.

Sorry to threadjack. Anyway, I agree that looking at shelter''s first is the best bet. And I second the thought that maybe getting a kitten isn''t the greatest idea. I remember being scratched A LOT during the kitten phase. Yeah, they''re cute. But cute wears thin when they think your eyelashes are a fascinating toy that should be played with while the claws are out.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
If you have allergies and you know that you won''t have them with siberian and you''re crazy for kitties then I guess it''s probably worth it.
I have a friend who is a cat lover and has allergies and things have been going well for her with the siberian.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
wanted to add I''m actually a tad allergic too based on my skin test but my allergies aren''t that severe and I am able to have three cats. But I know thats not the case with everyone. My worst allergy is to dust.

GL with your search.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
I am one of those people who believe the initial cost of the pet is small compare to the cost of their life time care.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 4:34:32 PM
Author: Resonance.Of.Life
Price doesn''t necessarily mean a good quality animal either. Just research the breeder throughly. A lot of backyard breeders are out there trying to make a buck and these little guys suffer in the meanwhile.

For breeder referrals you can always go to whatever registry Cats are in (AKC for dogs)they often have quality breeder referrals.

Also, being that I have allergies myself, each individual cat causes a different reaction. I''ve had a reaction to some Siamese and others no. So, spending some time with the kittens may be a good idea too if you can swing it.

I''ve found a few breeders who are referenced through the breed site, so I think it''ll be ok. But I''m definitely wary about trusting any breeder site that comes up in a google search - it''s all so easy to just say "our cats have x and y qualities, etc. etc.". I''m also becoming really wary of the sites/breeders who advertise their Siberians as hypoallergenic without any clarification (that no cat is ever truly allergen-free) or those that say "our cats are perfect for those with allergies!" since everyone can react differently.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I have a purebred cat (a Ragdoll, Boo... see avatar!
30.gif
) and he was just about the same price as the kittens you are looking at. I know it''s expensive, but IMVHO it''s pretty much the going rate; and some breeds (such as Savannahs) can be WAAAAAY more.

Even though I have a purebred cat, (my first ever "purchased" cat) I have mixed emotions about it. I ache for the millions of unwanted, homeless animals out there, and part of me does feel guilty for *buying* Boo when I could have gotten a rescue kitty instead.

But I do also believe strongly in the fact that without (reputable, conscientious) breeders out there, look what would be lost in the world. The variety and beauty of all the different breeds (cats AND dogs) is something very special, and enriches our world.

And as for allegies... my husband is allergic to cats and also has asthma, and he can tolerate Boo. I am so thankful! I would love to have a 2nd cat, but I''m not pushing it! I absolutely agree with AG (regarding allergies) -- each animal has to be considered on a *case-by-case* basis.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 4:39:18 PM
Author: elrohwen
So no bunnies for you, Brown.Eyed.Girl?
2.gif
I don''t think $800 is at all unreasonable for a cat (or a dog) from a good breeding program. In fact, many go for much more.

Just out of curiosity, since I''m allergic to cats, what other breeds are known to be low allergy? I went through the same thinking as you since we can''t get a dog for a few years, but realized that we just are not cat people. Haha. I''m still curious though since, until recently, I didn''t realize that any cat breeds were low allergen (other than hairless ones).

And you mentioned you''re getting tested for it? I''m curious to see what your results are. I was recently tested (for like the third or fourth time) and was told that I am allergic to dogs. Now I''ve been around dogs my entire life and have never ever had a problem, so who knows? Just warning you to consider the severity of the cat allergy results to something you know that you react strongly to (in my case, cat had a huuuge reaction while dog was tiny in comparison, so it put the results into perspective).

Good luck with your cat search!

Nope! No bunnies - I think BF is relieved
3.gif

I''ve been primarily researching Siberians, Russian Blues (which seem like a good fit for our lifestyle too - they seem to be pretty independent and can happily spend time on its own), and Burmese. I''ve also read that allergic people can tolerate Siamese and the longer-haired variant, the Balinese, pretty well too. And of course, there are the hairless kitties - which are not for me! I can''t remember specifics, but I''ve read that Siberians tend to produce less of the allergen, whereas some of the others may induce less of a reaction because of the nature of their coats (oilier coats which may reduce dandruff, etc.). I have a friend who had a Russian Blue and now has a Burmese mix and she''s had no issues with them as far as their allergies.

I''m getting the allergy test in April so I''ll definitely let you know how it turns out! Weird that your results said you were allergic to dogs!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

9.gif

Well I''m REALLY hoping I don''t have to do shipping. I''ve found another breeder that might work out - they''re in the Twin Cities area and my flights from my parents'' home and back to here always go through Minneapolis, so it might be a possibility for me to have a long layover and go for that one. I''ll be home in Sept anyway which is when I want to get a kitten. So we''ll see.

About the shelters - I can imagine. I was looking through the PAWS Chicago site, and the number of cats and dogs on their - it made me really sad. I so wish I could adopt a cat (and like a dozen dogs) from there.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look at Aby''s too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abyssinian_(cat)
http://www.theabycat.com/ (this pic could totally be Murphy! LOL.)
http://www.abyssinianclub.com/

Abyssinian-cat-club-welcome.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 4:49:05 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Ditto to everything Resonance of Life said re: good quality breeders, testing, etc... VERY IMPORTANT not to support backyard breeders.

Also, as an immunologist, I just thought I''d chime in a little bit about the allergies.

So the way that allergies to cats and dogs work (as related to your situation) is this: some breeds are generally less allergenic than others (in dogs, poodles and schnauzers are good examples, in cats, Siberians are a good example, though I think there are others). However, and this is crucial, just because some breeds are LESS allergenic, doesn''t mean that a) all members of this breed (or mixed breed) are less allergenic (i.e. each animals is an individual - this is true for mixes as well, so there are probably mixes out there that you would hardly be allergic to at all), OR that b) you will respond to all members of that breed the same way. Additionally, your response to an animal as a baby can be totally different than your response to that same animal as an adult.

For this reason, I wonder if perhaps trying to purchase a Siberian kitten from a rescue is truly the best strategy for you, given your allergies. I worry about it for a couple of reasons - the first is that even if you don''t respond to Siberians in general, there is always a possibility you will respond to this one. The second is that while you may not have a reaction to the kitten, the adult cat might be another matter entirely.

If I were you, I''d consider a couple of things. First, I know how (incredibly!) tempting it is to get a kitten, but in your case, there are significant advantages to considering an older (6+ months) animal - you would know how the allergens would be for that particular kitty vs. your allergies, and also, it would likely be less expensive. For adult animals, rescue is a great option, but you can also ask your breeder for slightly older animals that they are looking for homes for - often these are animals that they thought might be show/breeding prospects but then didn''t mature as they expected, or who have done their showing and breeding and been retired early, for whatever reason.

The second thing I think you really need to consider is the possibility that you will likely have to treat your allergies with something, no matter what cat you get, especially at first. I''m guessing the reason your friend doesn''t react to her own kitty is because she lives with him and has become tolerized. This is very common and will likely happen to you with any kitty you get, but it takes some time, and can''t be 100% guaranteed - this happened to my husband, and he doesn''t need anything for his allergies to our kitties, but my allergies have gotten worse over the years and now require medication (which is OTC and fairly innocuous, FYI).

Anyway, I hope that that information is helpful as you think about this decision - I don''t mean to doubt your choices, I just know that many people don''t fully understand the considerations above about pets and allergies, and I hope this information can help you avoid getting a kitten or cat who ends up being a bad fit with your allergies.

Thanks Amber for the info! I really appreciate it! I think it''s worth it for me to take allergy meds if I have to. I''m hoping I won''t have to, and I hope at least minimizing the possible allergic effect by going for a breed with lower allergen levels will help (even if I have to take Claritin or Allegra or whatnot).

I think you''re right about responding differently to kittens v. adults. Something about the kitten''s skin being more supple, less dandruff? And I am hoping that I''ll build up toleration to the kitty over time. Most likely, I''ll restrict the bedroom from the cat so I''ll have a refuge too
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:00:14 PM
Author: Iowa Lizzy

9.gif

You''re trying to pawn off one too? Hehe. I have one that just LOVES to snuggle, but try to push him off your lap and you''ll get a hiss and a swift paw to the face.

Sorry to threadjack. Anyway, I agree that looking at shelter''s first is the best bet. And I second the thought that maybe getting a kitten isn''t the greatest idea. I remember being scratched A LOT during the kitten phase. Yeah, they''re cute. But cute wears thin when they think your eyelashes are a fascinating toy that should be played with while the claws are out.

Haha very true. It also depends on when we get an animal. I would never get a kitten if this were a couple years from now, when both BF and I are working full time (and working long hours). But since we''re still students (and never go to class anyway), I also figured this would be the best time to adopt a kitten because we''d both have the time to take care of it, entertain it, etc. So I also kind of want to capitalize on the time that we have.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:01:06 PM
Author: innerkitten
If you have allergies and you know that you won''t have them with siberian and you''re crazy for kitties then I guess it''s probably worth it.

I have a friend who is a cat lover and has allergies and things have been going well for her with the siberian.

I''m glad your friend is doing well with her siberian! I''m definitely going to have myself tested first. It''s so hard to tell. I have never been allergic to cats until a year ago when I met my friend''s cat (my family even had one when I was younger) and that cat made me feel like I was dying in terms of sneezing, itchy running eyes, etc. (my friend who has NO problems with any other cat had issues with that friend''s cat - she had a really hard time breathing, which is NOT good). Since then I''ve had very mild allergic reactions (but reactions all the same) to other cats. if my allergy levels are low enough (and it really was that one cat that triggers such severe reactions) then I think I''d be fine - even if I had to take meds for it.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:06:45 PM
Author: lovegem
I am one of those people who believe the initial cost of the pet is small compare to the cost of their life time care.

Very true. I also believe though that (within reason) the initial cost is amply repaid by the animal''s love and companionship over many years
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:12:20 PM
Author: Lynn B
I have a purebred cat (a Ragdoll, Boo... see avatar!
30.gif
) and he was just about the same price as the kittens you are looking at. I know it''s expensive, but IMVHO it''s pretty much the going rate; and some breeds (such as Savannahs) can be WAAAAAY more.

Even though I have a purebred cat, (my first ever ''purchased'' cat) I have mixed emotions about it. I ache for the millions of unwanted, homeless animals out there, and part of me does feel guilty for *buying* Boo when I could have gotten a rescue kitty instead.

But I do also believe strongly in the fact that without (reputable, conscientious) breeders out there, look what would be lost in the world. The variety and beauty of all the different breeds (cats AND dogs) is something very special, and enriches our world.

And as for allegies... my husband is allergic to cats and also has asthma, and he can tolerate Boo. I am so thankful! I would love to have a 2nd cat, but I''m not pushing it! I absolutely agree with AG (regarding allergies) -- each animal has to be considered on a *case-by-case* basis.

To threadjack my own thread, can you tell me more about Ragdolls?? I saw the thread on Ragdolls but I didn''t realize then that it was a separate breed - I thought it was a nickname (I''m much better with dog breeds than cat breeds, lol). What made you decide to buy, rather than adopt? And pics would be welcome!
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:21:06 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Look at Aby''s too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abyssinian_(cat)

http://www.theabycat.com/ (this pic could totally be Murphy! LOL.)

http://www.abyssinianclub.com/

They''re beautiful!! I love that pic - so cute! Are they another breed known for being a bit less allergy-inducing? I definitely need to do more research - this is definitely getting in the way of my exam-studying, but on the other hand, this is WAY more interesting than income tax! (and i''m still sore about my own income taxes this year, so I have less motivation to study)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about that, I can only speak from personal experience. I''ve always been very allergic to many things, cats included. However, I live with it. Over time I feel my body has developed a tolerance to my cats. I don''t have any problems, or if I do, they''re minor enough to live with. It''s so worth it in my opinion. Murph has gotten me through some pretty hard times.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Seems normal to me. I nabbed my savannah kitty for $800, and that was a steal.

If the price is prohibitive for you, you might want to look into breed-specific rescues. And that way, you could meet the cat beforehand to test your allergic reaction!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results