shape
carat
color
clarity

So I''ve been researching cat breeders...and kittens are expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:39:00 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I don''t know about that, I can only speak from personal experience. I''ve always been very allergic to many things, cats included. However, I live with it. Over time I feel my body has developed a tolerance to my cats. I don''t have any problems, or if I do, they''re minor enough to live with. It''s so worth it in my opinion. Murph has gotten me through some pretty hard times.

Do you take any allergy meds? That''s great that your body developed a resistance - and I''d love to see pics of Murph! I so wish I could get a cat now, but with traveling plans and subletting this summer...sigh

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:40:03 PM
Author: Aloros
Seems normal to me. I nabbed my savannah kitty for $800, and that was a steal.

If the price is prohibitive for you, you might want to look into breed-specific rescues. And that way, you could meet the cat beforehand to test your allergic reaction!

Definitely something worth looking into. Savannahs are gorgeous! I''d love to get one sometime, but stupid NYC ordinances about no cats that can be classified as "feral"
29.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We have a Scottish Fold and an American Shorthair that we got from Purebreds Plus Cat Rescue in Northern California--they are FANTASTIC! And I know that they do adopt non-locally. They even have a siberian available right now, although it is not a kitten.

http://www.purebredsplus.org/available/bio/fidgit.html

We couldn''t be happier with our kitties.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the blurb I wrote in the furry baby thread. It talks a little about Murphy''s temperament.

Murphy, my Abby is my #1 furbaby. I''ve had him for about 5 years now and we''ve been through a lot together. He is one of the most intelligent cats and by far the most loving cat I''ve ever known or owned. I bought him from a pet store and I didn''t know anything about Abbys. I had owned a Siamese prior and I figured if I could deal with a Siamese I could deal with any cat (I love Siams too). He looked like a little mountain lion when I got him.

At the time I was in a relationship that wasn''t the greatest. My ex wasn''t very nice to Murphy (or me for that matter), and I think we bonded over that. I was Mom, but more importantly his protector, so he rarely left my side. When we moved away (I had to leave the state to get out of the relationship), Murphy came with me. He kept me company in our little studio apartment and even slept under the covers with me. He is such a love bug and he can''t get enough cuddles once you start. FI and my dad are the only guys Murphy is comfortable around and he''s very loyal to me.

I got Binks when I stated working long hours. Murphy and Binks tolerate each other, Binks when he was younger was really high energy and he''s a moose compared to Murphy who is only about 6lbs. Murphy didn''t care much for D.O.G. when we first brought him home. They''re warming up to each other though and I occasionally catch Murphy rubbing up against the dog. D.O.G. is still too energetic to lay down and relax for long, so Murphy doesn''t cuddle with him like that. I can easily see it happening in the near future though. I''ll definitely get a picture of that when the time comes.

I''ve heard that Abby''s are very similar to Bengals and Savannahs in temperament, attitude, and intelligence. I would LOVE a Savannah and they''re on my short list for my next adoption.

Please excuse the "devil eyes"

Murphy resized2.JPG

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:49:59 PM
Author: ladypirate
We have a Scottish Fold and an American Shorthair that we got from Purebreds Plus Cat Rescue in Northern California--they are FANTASTIC! And I know that they do adopt non-locally. They even have a siberian available right now, although it is not a kitten.

http://www.purebredsplus.org/available/bio/fidgit.html

We couldn''t be happier with our kitties.

Aww LP he''s a cutie! I SO wish I could adopt now. I''ll keep the link saved (well the link to the org) and check again in a few months. Thanks!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh! There are Aby kittens on the first page of that site!! (jumps up and down pointing)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:55:27 PM
This is the blurb I wrote in the furry baby thread. It talks a little about Murphy''s temperament.

Murphy, my Abby is my #1 furbaby. I''ve had him for about 5 years now and we''ve been through a lot together. He is one of the most intelligent cats and by far the most loving cat I''ve ever known or owned. I bought him from a pet store and I didn''t know anything about Abbys. I had owned a Siamese prior and I figured if I could deal with a Siamese I could deal with any cat (I love Siams too). He looked like a little mountain lion when I got him.

At the time I was in a relationship that wasn''t the greatest. My ex wasn''t very nice to Murphy (or me for that matter), and I think we bonded over that. I was Mom, but more importantly his protector, so he rarely left my side. When we moved away (I had to leave the state to get out of the relationship), Murphy came with me. He kept me company in our little studio apartment and even slept under the covers with me. He is such a love bug and he can''t get enough cuddles once you start. FI and my dad are the only guys Murphy is comfortable around and he''s very loyal to me.

I got Binks when I stated working long hours. Murphy and Binks tolerate each other, Binks when he was younger was really high energy and he''s a moose compared to Murphy who is only about 6lbs. Murphy didn''t care much for D.O.G. when we first brought him home. They''re warming up to each other though and I occasionally catch Murphy rubbing up against the dog. D.O.G. is still too energetic to lay down and relax for long, so Murphy doesn''t cuddle with him like that. I can easily see it happening in the near future though. I''ll definitely get a picture of that when the time comes.

I''ve heard that Abby''s are very similar to Bengals and Savannahs in temperament, attitude, and intelligence. I would LOVE a Savannah and they''re on my short list for my next adoption.

Please excuse the ''devil eyes''

Aw Hudson Murph is gorgeous! Gotta love the devil eyes - my mom''s Chihuahua, Cocoa''s eyes turn bright RED in pretty much every flash pic.

That''s so sweet how closely you guys have bonded. I''m sorry to hear about the hard times, but glad Murph was there for you. What made you decide to get an Abyssinian?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:58:16 PM
Oooh! There are Aby kittens on the first page of that site!! (jumps up and down pointing)

They''re so cute! Only thing is, they don''t ship cats
7.gif
And I am nowhere near CA sadly

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
11.gif
Round trip ticket and a cheap hotel room for a night might cost less than 800-- especially with all the rate reductions right now. Plus, ya know... you could meet up with some CA Psers
31.gif
. I think it's 100 to take a cat on a plane? Plus a carrier (which you'd need anyway).

JUST SAYING. LOL.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 6:27:50 PM
Author: Gypsy
11.gif
Round trip ticket and a cheap hotel room for a night might cost less than 800-- especially with all the rate reductions right now. Plus, ya know... you could meet up with some CA Psers
31.gif
. I think it''s 100 to take a cat on a plane? Plus a carrier (which you''d need anyway).

JUST SAYING. LOL.

Sneaky Gypsy!! Although you definitely have a point!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 6:46:00 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

11.gif
31.gif
. I think it''s 100 to take a cat on a plane? Plus a carrier (which you''d need anyway).

JUST SAYING. LOL.

9.gif
Sorry. Pets are one of my ''things''... you know how it is. Plus, it would be LOVELY TO MEET YOU (hint, hint)... and CA is a GREAT place to visit.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got Murphy having done NO research. Seriously, a bad move. We thought he was super cute-we saw him in a pet store. It was really a fluke, but he''s fantastic and I''ve heard Aby''s are great in general. I''d adopt another one without a moment''s hesitation.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have a Burmese, and he was worth the money. He was only $400, but that was on the low end of the price spectrum.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Here''s something to consider. Responsible breeders don''t breed their animals beyond a few years. It''s not uncommon for them to adopt out their older mommies to good homes at very little cost. By older, the cat might be 6 or 7 years old. They can''t keep all their cats in the cattery and it isn''t productive to breeding to keep a non breeding female (unless they''re just a hobby breeder). Most of them would much prefer that their retired kitties find a loving home, rather than trying to sell them for the maximum profit
1.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEG-this is for you...

funny-pictures-kitten-is-in-your-tissue-box.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:25:40 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Here''s something to consider. Responsible breeders don''t breed their animals beyond a few years. It''s not uncommon for them to adopt out their older mommies to good homes at very little cost. By older, the cat might be 6 or 7 years old. They can''t keep all their cats in the cattery and it isn''t productive to breeding to keep a non breeding female (unless they''re just a hobby breeder). Most of them would much prefer that their retired kitties find a loving home, rather than trying to sell them for the maximum profit
1.gif

Ditto - this is one of the options I suggested looking into as well.

It would also be so much better for allergies, because I''ve had people who took kittens or puppies home from the shelter, and then return them 1 year later because the allergens of the animal can change COMPLETELY when it grows from a baby to an adult.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 7:30:29 PM
Date: 3/10/2009 6:46:00 PM

11.gif
31.gif

JUST SAYING. LOL.

9.gif
Sorry. Pets are one of my ''things''... you know how it is. Plus, it would be LOVELY TO MEET YOU (hint, hint)... and CA is a GREAT place to visit.

And you know I want to meet you!! I''ll keep the trip in mind - if there''s a kitty that would work sometime this fall, it might be a possibility!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 7:52:45 PM
We got Murphy having done NO research. Seriously, a bad move. We thought he was super cute-we saw him in a pet store. It was really a fluke, but he''s fantastic and I''ve heard Aby''s are great in general. I''d adopt another one without a moment''s hesitation.

Aw. That is why I can''t go to pet stores- I know I''d walk out with a pet, bad timing or not!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:24:02 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I have a Burmese, and he was worth the money. He was only $400, but that was on the low end of the price spectrum.

Burmese are adorable. I was researching them too, but then I started getting confused looking up several breeds and focused on the Siberian
3.gif
Multi-tasking doesn''t work well for me when I''m in one track mind mode
5.gif
Do you have any allergy problems Ltl? what is your Burmese like?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here's something to consider. Responsible breeders don't breed their animals beyond a few years. It's not uncommon for them to adopt out their older mommies to good homes at very little cost. By older, the cat might be 6 or 7 years old. They can't keep all their cats in the cattery and it isn't productive to breeding to keep a non breeding female (unless they're just a hobby breeder). Most of them would much prefer that their retired kitties find a loving home, rather than trying to sell them for the maximum profit
1.gif

Actually that's a great idea. The only trouble is that the breeders I've seen so far seem to have adults available fairly rarely (small breeding operation, and quite a bit of demand, for all the reasons you listed). There is a Russian Blue breeder who has some retired adults available, including one female who would work really well (she's only 5), but they're all available now and I can't take them b/c of my traveling plans
7.gif
So I'll have to see what works out in a few months, but yes, definitely a good idea!

EDIT: Did I mention, they're even coming to my area!! And can bring a cat with them if I want to go in that direction - but it'll be in May and I'm subletting a TINY little apt. from a friend this summer in NY and I wouldn't be able to take the cat. BAD timing!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:59:07 PM
BEG-this is for you...

ROFL!!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 10:05:38 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

1.gif

Ditto - this is one of the options I suggested looking into as well.

It would also be so much better for allergies, because I''ve had people who took kittens or puppies home from the shelter, and then return them 1 year later because the allergens of the animal can change COMPLETELY when it grows from a baby to an adult.

That would definitely suck to have the allergies flare up later. If that happened though, and my allergies were manageable with medication, I would not give up the cat - I''ve just always hated stories where people "use up" the animal''s cute years, grow tired of them, and sell them or put them in an animal shelter (or heaven forbid abandon them). Whatever we get, it''s here to stay

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honey, can you work something out with them to bring the cat up for you to meet, then ''hold'' the cat for you till the fall?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My Burmese is awesome. He is very mellow and loves to just camp out on my lap. He is more like a dog. He is loyal like a dog, and he goes after table food like a dog :). I don''t know if they are good for allergies though. They have fir, therefore, they have cat dander, which is what most people are allergic too. I have minor allergies, but with my dyson, I have been able to keep things under control.

I put some pics of my cats up in the furry baby section if you want to see him. He is on page 8 and 9 :).

BTW, If there is a CA GTG in the next few months, I would love to meet you all ;-).

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 1:10:26 AM
Honey, can you work something out with them to bring the cat up for you to meet, then ''hold'' the cat for you till the fall?

That''s a really really good idea. The only thing is there''s such a good chance that I''ll end up leaving with the cat if I meet it and like it - months before i''m supposed to!
3.gif
But I''ll e-mail the breeder back and see if that''s possible - I want to hear back from the Siberian breeder first though. Impatient me!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:54:04 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
My Burmese is awesome. He is very mellow and loves to just camp out on my lap. He is more like a dog. He is loyal like a dog, and he goes after table food like a dog :). I don''t know if they are good for allergies though. They have fir, therefore, they have cat dander, which is what most people are allergic too. I have minor allergies, but with my dyson, I have been able to keep things under control.

I put some pics of my cats up in the furry baby section if you want to see him. He is on page 8 and 9 :).

BTW, If there is a CA GTG in the next few months, I would love to meet you all ;-).

Aw that''s cute! I think Burmese are better as far as allergies go than most? Though maybe they''re not the lowest-allergen cats around. I''m gonna go check out your pics!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The breeders say they are lower allergen producing cats, but the allergy experts say if it is a cat an has hair, than it can cause allergies. I myself have no idea. I am not allergic to him, and my BF who has horrible allergies is no different at my place vs his place.

It is a breed worth checking out if you think you will be ok. What ever breed you are considering, when you are checking out the breeder, visit their house (without taking allergy meds) and take note of how you feel for the rest of the day.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:34:04 PM
Date: 3/10/2009 5:12:20 PM

Author: Lynn B

I have a purebred cat (a Ragdoll, Boo... see avatar!
30.gif
) and he was just about the same price as the kittens you are looking at. I know it''s expensive, but IMVHO it''s pretty much the going rate; and some breeds (such as Savannahs) can be WAAAAAY more.

Even though I have a purebred cat, (my first ever ''purchased'' cat) I have mixed emotions about it. I ache for the millions of unwanted, homeless animals out there, and part of me does feel guilty for *buying* Boo when I could have gotten a rescue kitty instead.

But I do also believe strongly in the fact that without (reputable, conscientious) breeders out there, look what would be lost in the world. The variety and beauty of all the different breeds (cats AND dogs) is something very special, and enriches our world.

And as for allegies... my husband is allergic to cats and also has asthma, and he can tolerate Boo. I am so thankful! I would love to have a 2nd cat, but I''m not pushing it! I absolutely agree with AG (regarding allergies) -- each animal has to be considered on a *case-by-case* basis.

To threadjack my own thread, can you tell me more about Ragdolls?? I saw the thread on Ragdolls but I didn''t realize then that it was a separate breed - I thought it was a nickname (I''m much better with dog breeds than cat breeds, lol). What made you decide to buy, rather than adopt? And pics would be welcome!
1.gif

Oh, Raggies are WONDERFUL! So gentle, affectionate, and laid-back. (But still VERY curious and so darn FUNNY and full of personality!) You can Google them for TONS of reading material. Also, I started a thread here in Hangout entitled,
"Ragdoll parents, brag and post photos here" (or something to that effect!!!!) You can see a kijillion photos of Boo (and others) there.

And I just decided a few years ago, after hearing about Raggies and learning more about them that I just HAAAAD to have one of those magnificent cats. And oh, I have never been sorry. Boo enriches our lives beyond measure!
30.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 8:32:19 PM
Date: 3/10/2009 5:34:04 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 5:12:20 PM

I have a purebred cat (a Ragdoll, Boo... see avatar!
30.gif
) and he was just about the same price as the kittens you are looking at. I know it''s expensive, but IMVHO it''s pretty much the going rate; and some breeds (such as Savannahs) can be WAAAAAY more.

Even though I have a purebred cat, (my first ever ''purchased'' cat) I have mixed emotions about it. I ache for the millions of unwanted, homeless animals out there, and part of me does feel guilty for *buying* Boo when I could have gotten a rescue kitty instead.

But I do also believe strongly in the fact that without (reputable, conscientious) breeders out there, look what would be lost in the world. The variety and beauty of all the different breeds (cats AND dogs) is something very special, and enriches our world.

And as for allegies... my husband is allergic to cats and also has asthma, and he can tolerate Boo. I am so thankful! I would love to have a 2nd cat, but I''m not pushing it! I absolutely agree with AG (regarding allergies) -- each animal has to be considered on a *case-by-case* basis.

To threadjack my own thread, can you tell me more about Ragdolls?? I saw the thread on Ragdolls but I didn''t realize then that it was a separate breed - I thought it was a nickname (I''m much better with dog breeds than cat breeds, lol). What made you decide to buy, rather than adopt? And pics would be welcome!
1.gif

Oh, Raggies are WONDERFUL! So gentle, affectionate, and laid-back. (But still VERY curious and so darn FUNNY and full of personality!) You can Google them for TONS of reading material. Also, I started a thread here in Hangout entitled,

''Ragdoll parents, brag and post photos here'' (or something to that effect!!!!) You can see a kijillion photos of Boo (and others) there.

And I just decided a few years ago, after hearing about Raggies and learning more about them that I just HAAAAD to have one of those magnificent cats. And oh, I have never been sorry. Boo enriches our lives beyond measure!
30.gif

Aw Lynn, I totally want a Ragdoll! That thread has the most adorable pics! Grr allergies...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 6:45:56 PM

Aw Lynn, I totally want a Ragdoll! That thread has the most adorable pics! Grr allergies...
I know, I know!!! Aren''t they awesome?! I just feel like I have completely, 100%, found "my breed"... and I can''t imagine my home -- or my life -- EVER, without a Raggie in it.

Thank you for the sweet words. I will give Boo chinny skritches from you!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results