shape
carat
color
clarity

So I walked into a pawnshop and found a 1.26

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@Wewechew and @lovesdogs
I'm thinking of it as a saving account on my finger. I am sure I could sell it as cheaply as I bought it through ebay. It's stupid cheap.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
@Wewechew and @lovesdogs
I'm thinking of it as a saving account on my finger. I am sure I could sell it as cheaply as I bought it through ebay. It's stupid cheap.
Maybe you could buy a small CBI with that money and upgrade until you’re at the size you want? I have just done this with a .41ct / H CBI, it’s small but SO beautiful and I’m really enjoying wearing it, at the same time as being very excited for the next upgrade! Just a thought!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@moneymeister I’ve done the same thing before, and it ended up not going as I had hoped (I wasn’t able to sell the item as quickly as I’d like, or for as much as I had hoped). Make sure you think it through before you do it. $1500 is nothing to sneeze at.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you could buy a small CBI with that money and upgrade until you’re at the size you want? I have just done this with a .41ct / H CBI, it’s small but SO beautiful and I’m really enjoying wearing it, at the same time as being very excited for the next upgrade! Just a thought!
Yes!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
This. I’ve learned the hard way to save my money instead of banking on being able to sell something when the time comes.

I agree. I have stuff that I was certain would sell and nope. Or at a low rate. I would save the money. I used to buy a lot of smaller pieces or stones. I decided to stop that because I didn't really truly want that. I wanted larger stones, not more. I'd go for what you really want.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad I have til tomorrow. Great points all around.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others have warned a flip project means your cash is less fluid as its tied up in an object. More times than not, mine have worked out but never when I've been in a time crunch.

If you can't or don't want to be patient, don't take on a flip project.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have my Ritani for now, so I will probably not buy a CBI before the upgrade. I've decided I will have them cut a custom low color. At that point, I will sell this Ritani. I wanted the Ritani because I adore their solitaires and didn't want to wait a year to have something on my finger. I will love the CBI when it happens. Long term, it really is my grail.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 Hubby came home and I shared this comment and he said "... It's not a cat!"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
He is less excited about this mighty opportunity.
It's true! The poor baby is languishing in that awful dreary case in that pawnshop along with the chainsaws, rifles and other boring man-things.
She needs to be around your lovely neck.................:lol:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It's true! The poor baby is languishing in that awful dreary case in that pawnshop along with the chainsaws, rifles and other boring man-things.
She needs to be around your lovely neck.................:lol:

Right???!!! I laughed for five minutes at his exasperated tone. I laughed because it is COMPLETELY what I would say and he knows it.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
In my small little humble opinion & this is the rule that I personally go by for any purchases; If I am not certain immediately and have to have it, it's not coming home with me.

The fact that youve taken a few days to think it through would make me pass. Why spend money on something you werent completely and utterly in love with and had to purchase and make way for, you know? Thats just the dialogue that goes on inside my head. :roll2:

I'm also now in a place where I just want my dream things and am trying to save and be patient for those lustrous pieces. Sometimes those items are cheap cheap (a couple hundred) but mostly they are not.

Although theres always temptation....:devil:
Good luck to you! Either way I know you'll end up with a beautiful diamond and Ill want handshots of whatever you get missy!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@moneymeister I too love your OMC! I also understand that you have to be able to have something like your Ritani to tie you over until you have the funds for your dream project. We are each unique, Viva La difference. Some people can wait patiently, or, well at least be able to wait but then some of us must have something or khm some things making it easier in the interim. My mind tends to go crazy with a gazillion ideas, designs, projects while I am waiting and I noticed it works out just fine that I allow myself to have smaller pleasures. Often I make dangles I love so much that I end up wearing them daily, etc. Of course it is also totally rational and wise to save everything for the big project. Each to their own.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
In my small little humble opinion & this is the rule that I personally go by for any purchases; If I am not certain immediately and have to have it, it's not coming home with me.

The fact that youve taken a few days to think it through would make me pass. Why spend money on something you werent completely and utterly in love with and had to purchase and make way for, you know? Thats just the dialogue that goes on inside my head. :roll2:

I'm also now in a place where I just want my dream things and am trying to save and be patient for those lustrous pieces. Sometimes those items are cheap cheap (a couple hundred) but mostly they are not.

Although theres always temptation....:devil:
Good luck to you! Either way I know you'll end up with a beautiful diamond and Ill want handshots of whatever you get missy!!

Thank you @TheGarnetGirl I think you're making a good point. I am attracted to this stone, and probably equally attached to the basement price. However, if I take the bargain out of the conversation, I probably would not buy it because I do want a super precision cut - the opposite of my wonky old cut. I could indulge in diamond "moods" :) between the fussy halo and the "clean" lines of the solitaire and fine cut.

I think Queenie60 had that same point too, wait for the truly wanted things. Thank you, I will definately post pictures when I get to that CBI someday. I need a lottery ticket :)

@moneymeister I too love your OMC! I also understand that you have to be able to have something like your Ritani to tie you over until you have the funds for your dream project. We are each unique, Viva La difference. Some people can wait patiently, or, well at least be able to wait but then some of us must have something or khm some things making it easier in the interim. My mind tends to go crazy with a gazillion ideas, designs, projects while I am waiting and I noticed it works out just fine that I allow myself to have smaller pleasures. Often I make dangles I love so much that I end up wearing them daily, etc. Of course it is also totally rational and wise to save everything for the big project. Each to their own.

Hi @Sunstorm. I looked at your website. What lovely work you do! Am especially in love with your flower ring. Everywhere are graceful lines.

Oh, thank you for the kind words on the OMC. I sometimes compare it to the finer old Euro cuts and look back at the wonky everything and girdle reflections in the table at the right tilt and still love it, but wonder if anyone else could see it (or if I am crazy). So, thank you!

I am sure, if I could make dreamy jewelry, I would be in heaven most days with new creations. I am so happy for you that you get to have a career following what you love.

And I also agree, in the end, these "problems" will work out just fine. Thank you!

Last edited:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you @moneymeister dear!!! You are so nice! My website is not up to date because that’s not where I am posting my work but I go into hiding and not allowed to say more but regardless I appreciate your kind words. I think the best thing is to be able to do what you truly love and work with great people. We all have to make sacrifices to be able to follow our dreams but it was the best decision I ever made. Speaking of decisions, where are you at with yours?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Such a delicate balance with trade, I certainly understand.
Ahhh, well...it was a very long weekend. In the end, I looked at the diamond again and decided to pass. They deal was great, but looking at the PS prices for a i2 M at 1.25, maybe not THAT spectacular. I walked away. However, I gave him my card and asked him to check back with me the next time he brought in a pretty, large diamond.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you found peace with everything @moneymeister.

Remember, it's only a good deal if the timing works, you want it and the pricing is right. Obviously those three things didn't line up, so you are free to move onto bigger and better things.

No ragrets! (watch the video, lol) :P2

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"Beauty is not always about value, it is about the story, the history as well. I figured if the center OMC stayed intact for over a hundred years she will most likely. And she used to be in a ring for a long time."

I purchased a sapphire with diamonds ring this past weekend at a local pawn shop. Two small but gorgeous mine cut diamonds and a pear shaped sapphire. On the inside of the band on each side are two dates...one is "1888" and the other one is "1898." I have bigger diamonds and bigger rings, but nothing as special as this ring, so I agree totally with you.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
"Beauty is not always about value, it is about the story, the history as well. I figured if the center OMC stayed intact for over a hundred years she will most likely. And she used to be in a ring for a long time."

I purchased a sapphire with diamonds ring this past weekend at a local pawn shop. Two small but gorgeous mine cut diamonds and a pear shaped sapphire. On the inside of the band on each side are two dates...one is "1888" and the other one is "1898." I have bigger diamonds and bigger rings, but nothing as special as this ring, so I agree totally with you.

That sounds delish!
Do you happen to have a link/thread where we can see the piece?
Or photos? (:

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That sounds delish!
Do you happen to have a link/thread where we can see the piece?
Or photos? (:

I do! Here's the Price Scope link----

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@moneymeister it sounds like there's another diamond waiting for you...just not this one. I think it's a good decision. If you don't love it now and have doubts you'll never love it and always have doubts.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @LorettaB. I enjoyed your story and thread the other day. The sapphire and ring are so beautiful. I wonder if the dates are for their children? :)

I will run into another diamond at some point. Honestly....who knows, I may still drop back in and buy it. I was chatting with my Aunt who ran a huge pawn shop with my Uncle years ago. As a teenager, I can remember her diamond ring. It was splendid and had the old cut, so so full of colorful fire. I remember being enthralled with it and I still remember it was H.U.G.E.As in it needed an entire zipcode. My own mother had a 1960's illusion head with a chip in it...maybe a 3 point diamond. Maybe part of this was that we were very poor, and they were well-heeled.

I caught up with my Aunt last week when I was recounting this diamond story and told her (for the first time) that her diamond ring started it all. I watched her diamond in the car, I fell in love. I asked her how large it was...and it was (sit down) 7 carats. She told me it was absolutely flawless save one UGLY black smudge on the girdle that took it to an i1. She said it was always fabulous because the flaw was hidden by the setting and sometimes i1's are just fine. *sigh*.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
...she said she would have sold it to me. Lol...Pretty sure I cant afford a 7 carat in this lifetime, even if an I3. But the thought was kind.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @LorettaB. I enjoyed your story and thread the other day. The sapphire and ring are so beautiful. I wonder if the dates are for their children? :)

I will run into another diamond at some point. Honestly....who knows, I may still drop back in and buy it. I was chatting with my Aunt who ran a huge pawn shop with my Uncle years ago. As a teenager, I can remember her diamond ring. It was splendid and had the old cut, so so full of colorful fire. I remember being enthralled with it and I still remember it was H.U.G.E.As in it needed an entire zipcode. My own mother had a 1960's illusion head with a chip in it...maybe a 3 point diamond. Maybe part of this was that we were very poor, and they were well-heeled.

I caught up with my Aunt last week when I was recounting this diamond story and told her (for the first time) that her diamond ring started it all. I watched her diamond in the car, I fell in love. I asked her how large it was...and it was (sit down) 7 carats. She told me it was absolutely flawless save one UGLY black smudge on the girdle that took it to an i1. She said it was always fabulous because the flaw was hidden by the setting and sometimes i1's are just fine. *sigh*.

What a wonderful story!!!!! I grew up very poor but my mother bought my twin sister and I matching sapphire rings as our first “good” jewelry and she was so proud to give them to us. She had two rings her whole life, one being her wedding band, but she always loved looking at jewelry and that may be one reason I collect it now. I was telling an older cousin about my love for jewelry many years ago and she said we had a great aunt and she would visit her in New Orleans when she was a child. This great aunt ran a “house” in the red light district and my cousin talked about playing with her enormous collection of diamond and sapphire jewelry. She said years later the aunt fell on hard times and my cousin’s father saw her on the street in New Orleans. She was homeless and he recognized her and helped her out and she gave my cousin the last ring she had kept because she had sold the rest. Funny how those memories come back.

I hope you find a diamond you can’t live without and don’t forget to show it to us when you do!!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful story!!!!! I grew up very poor but my mother bought my twin sister and I matching sapphire rings as our first “good” jewelry and she was so proud to give them to us. She had two rings her whole life, one being her wedding band, but she always loved looking at jewelry and that may be one reason I collect it now. I was telling an older cousin about my love for jewelry many years ago and she said we had a great aunt and she would visit her in New Orleans when she was a child. This great aunt ran a “house” in the red light district and my cousin talked about playing with her enormous collection of diamond and sapphire jewelry. She said years later the aunt fell on hard times and my cousin’s father saw her on the street in New Orleans. She was homeless and he recognized her and helped her out and she gave my cousin the last ring she had kept because she had sold the rest. Funny how those memories come back.

I hope you find a diamond you can’t live without and don’t forget to show it to us when you do!!

Now that is a very cool story. How great that her (brother I am going to assume) found her and could help her. The gift of her last ring is such a beautiful gesture. As the estrangement of this AUnt and the happy reunion, it hits home like a hard life lesson. We only have our family. The most precious gift and yes, even more valuable than a big beautiful diamond.

<3 Bling girls always delight in showing and sharing and viewing. We are just made like that.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I do! Here's the Price Scope link----

I love the new thread link feature!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results