shape
carat
color
clarity

So I walked into a pawnshop and found a 1.26

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It was so beautiful and eye-clean. Plenty of fire. They would give it to me for 1500 out the door. Loupe found a nasty feather or two reaching the table.

Ugh.

It's so pretty...and cheap...; 6.8mm...and that feather.

Would you be tempted too?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was so beautiful and eye-clean. Plenty of fire. They would give it to me for 1500 out the door. Loupe found a nasty feather or two reaching the table.

Ugh.

It's so pretty...and cheap...; 6.8mm...and that feather.

Would you be tempted too?

Not if that feather is compromising the integrity of the stone. That is why they are sweetening the deal by offering it at 1500. But if that feather compromises the integrity then it might be 1500 down the drain. My vote is not to go for it unless you can bring it to an appraiser and be able to return it should the appraiser say it's not good.

You can save that 1500 and put it towards a great purchase some time in the future.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Of course! That sounds amazing! I don't know much about diamonds, so please educate me. Is the feather something that affects the structural integrity of the stone? Are you afraid the stone might crack because of it? If you loved the look of it, the color, the fire, this is very tempting!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
What would you do with it? I'd feel a lot more comfortable taking a chance on it if you were going to bezel it and put it in a pendant, and not having it be in a ring where it may take a beating.

Me too, however, I would love it in a ring.
Ugh. A bezel necklace would probably be okay. It is such a pretty diamond.

No, I did pass on it, but posted here almost hoping one of you might chime in and say...surface feather...smeather...just do it MM. LOL

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feather is just a fancy word for a crack.

That said, feathers aren't the devil. Depends where, how big, clarity of the stone, etc. My wifes BGD H VS2 has a feather. Structurally its sound and no issues.

It's good to be cautious but more data is needed to make a determination. Does the stone have a GIA or AGS certificate? If not, can you see a cert number inscribed on the girdle? Normally requires 20x magnification to see. You'd want to check this anyhow to ensure it's not stolen, etc. But it also tells you clarity grade, may give a clarity plot and also give us poor diamond nerds some proportions to analyze, lol.

Like any secondhand purchase, do your research. Ask to use YOUR trusted independent appraiser and condition the purchase on his/her final review.

Last, but not least....its a pawn shop. See how much lower they will go. :mrgreen2:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@sledge Haha, you know I diverted back by the pawnshop on the way home and took a few pictures. They are holding it until Monday.
A little video so you can see her charm
There is no GIA number on the girdle (Darn)
The stone is quite warm (MNOP?) I love that.
It is disgustingly dirty
Pictures of the feather are below
20191004_164008.jpg 20191004_164130.jpg 20191004_164554.jpg 20191004_164727.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
20191004_164736.jpg
20191004_164919.jpg

Other than the rather nasty feather(s) she looks very clear.
The 1500 is my best deal...she was 1900.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Of course! That sounds amazing! I don't know much about diamonds, so please educate me. Is the feather something that affects the structural integrity of the stone? Are you afraid the stone might crack because of it? If you loved the look of it, the color, the fire, this is very tempting!

Hi @OdetteOdile It is really amazing and I think she is lovely. However, it wouldn't be a deal if she cleaved apart and I gave her a good knock. This is what I am worried about. If I buy her, she is my problem.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@missy I agree, without more seasoned input, I wouldnt chance it. I'll see if I can find someone locally to look at it.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @OdetteOdile It is really amazing and I think she is lovely. However, it wouldn't be a deal if she cleaved apart and I gave her a good knock. This is what I am worried about. If I buy her, she is my problem.

That makes sense. Time for a little risk/return analysis ;)2

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
:) I'm going to ask (A PS Appraiser) to give it a look-see.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
From David Atlas:
Looks like a good size stone of 1ct plus. The money is stupid cheap enough and the inclusion, while largish, looks intact and not highly eye-visible.

The risk of breaking is there, but you "could" insure it against damage or loss. It is definitely a bit weaker along that feather than a flawless stone, but I don't see it just falling apart.

If you lead a rough lifestyle, then maybe it might break, but if you take it off to do harsh things, then it likely would never break.

I would think you should pay retail and assume the stone will always stay intact, but for a lot less than full retail you are saving a large amount and accepting some risk.

I like such deals, but they don't make everyone happy. You have to know your own personality and go with your own instincts.....I think you could have a lot of enjoyment for not much in terms of diamond money spent. A 1.25 round K-I2 is close to $3,000 retail in a discount store. It might be in the low $2,000 range online. This looks like q borderline I1/I2 clarity and reasonably whitish, maybe K-L or possibly I/J-L/M in range. A photo won't show color easily or accurately.

Hope this proves helpful. Have fun!

Dave Atlas

He sent me further comments (paraphrased) about checking around and under prongs and even unmounting before purchase to make sure no other hidden damage, to be most careful.

So now I get to decide...should I or shouldnt I? hmmmmm

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think I'm going to pass. If anyone wants the location/Pawn Shop in Virginia, hit me up on LT.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I can give my experience because not that long ago I walked into my favorite pawn shop and the owner put this incredible 1.23 carat OEC ring on my finger. Well when I louped it don't you know it had major chips on the north and south girdle, like my heart just sank it was SO chipped. The asking price started at $800 and I immediately posted on PS asking what should I do. Some said yay and some said nay and in the end I walked out with this diamond ring for $600, I would never be able to afford an OEC at this weight otherwise. I have posted a lot about this ring and it's also my avatar!

I debated about bezeling it but two jewelers have told me it's best not to bezel it so I changed the head from four to six prong, yes the prongs sit on top of the significant chips and yes there could be further damage done. I am just very careful when I wear it and that's that. I recently had an appraiser look at the diamond and it was graded an M color SI2, to be honest I was amazed to not be in the I1 category, and relieved as well!

All that to say that if you are okay with the price and aware of the risk then by all means go ahead. Just don't wear the ring while doing any cleaning, exercise and take it off at night.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I say do it!
This poor orphaned diamond needs a good home!

It is super pretty and a good deal, one too many yellow gold solitaire e rings and only one ring finger. :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
So I can give my experience because not that long ago I walked into my favorite pawn shop and the owner put this incredible 1.23 carat OEC ring on my finger. Well when I louped it don't you know it had major chips on the north and south girdle, like my heart just sank it was SO chipped. The asking price started at $800 and I immediately posted on PS asking what should I do. Some said yay and some said nay and in the end I walked out with this diamond ring for $600, I would never be able to afford an OEC at this weight otherwise. I have posted a lot about this ring and it's also my avatar!

I debated about bezeling it but two jewelers have told me it's best not to bezel it so I changed the head from four to six prong, yes the prongs sit on top of the significant chips and yes there could be further damage done. I am just very careful when I wear it and that's that. I recently had an appraiser look at the diamond and it was graded an M color SI2, to be honest I was amazed to not be in the I1 category, and relieved as well!

All that to say that if you are okay with the price and aware of the risk then by all means go ahead. Just don't wear the ring while doing any cleaning, exercise and take it off at night.

What a beautiful pattern on the diamond. Yeah, I wouldn't have passed that one up either, what a steal. Seriously, this is perfect! Great news on the clarity too. I love a warm M. Enjoy and thanks for sharing that experience.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it speaks to you, which it sounds like it does and you have a little pocket change I think it's a fun project. For a little assurance, you may want to contact JM and ask if they would insure and how much. I see no reason they wouldn't.

Since the stone doesn't have a cert, I'd walk in with $1,200 cash ready to make a deal. Maybe place 10-100's on the counter and let them know you need to get it certified, cleaned, appraised, etc but it speaks to you so against your better judgment you are going to take a risk.

He's going to push hard that's too low. Stay the course. If he finally bites, then great! If not whip out your wallet and pull the last 2-100's and toss on the counter. Make a point to show him you have no other money (hide cards, etc elsewhere) and say you're there to buy but if he's not interested in your cash then that's cool too. If he still doesn't bite, collect the money slowly (but not too slowly) so he can get a good look at all the cash that is about to leave and if he still doesn't bite, then give that cute girl smile and say, "last chance" as you stick the bills in your purse. Walk towards the door confidently. If he lets you leave, great. I'm guessing he will cave.

Your risk/reward just got better if he does bite. ;)2

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Like this :)
giphy.gif
I'm going to pass on this opportunity. Hubby and I discussed my many projects and diamond goals and umm, I probably shouldn't add any more, even though I am totally tempted.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
can you set it in a pendant? pendants tend to get much fewer hard whacks against walls etc.
It would be great in a pendant, but I have two diamond pendants already. None this big though :)

amoline

Shiny_Rock
I see many things that you could do with this diamond that would seriously mitigate the riskier parts of it.

Put it on a pendant and hang a nice warm gold south sea drop pearl beneath it, and have a lovely and huge pendant.

I always think - by how much, if I spent this money, would my other projects/goals be delayed? My mark is always 6 months. If it would cause more than a half-year delay, I'll pass on it because I consider it too much money. But, if 6 or less, I'd jump all over it.

This is the kind of "jump on" item that is something that is a ton of bang for buck, and ultimately little risk involved. When you first said feather, I'm imagining a diamond hanging on within an inch of its life, but that doesn't seem to be this stone.

Agree with Sledge, but a bargain trick I've used in the past: you should take 10 $100 bills and 4 $50 bills, and use the same strategy of the last bills strategically. Mentally, the bills being different than the others puts forth a "scrounged up some extra cash because I'm interested" feeling instead of "visited the ATM because I'm driving a hard bargain" - makes you seem like you were planning on paying with $100 bills, and happened to use some of your own personal cash to push the deal a little higher -- for his sake, of course. :mrgreen: It also feels less like you were hiding 2 extra 100's away trying to lowball the entire time. Using differently denominated bills in this case has worked for me more times than I can count.

I know, not helping. :lol:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy it if it looked beautiful to me. But. I’m not big into mmop moderns. It would be the color that would present an issue for me not the feather.

Q

Queenie60

Personally, I would pass and save my money for something much more special.

Blingismything

Rough_Rock
Okay, here’s my 2 cents, If I love an item and I am strongly considering purchasing it, I use a simple method to help galvanise the decision.

Imagine you have the item in one hand and the cash in the other. Ask yourself, ‘which would I rather have? The (ring, coat etc) or the cash?’ I may wall around with the item in my hand for a few minutes whilst I decide.

This has helped me walk away from many purchases and also decide to go ahead and buy.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh a bezel pendant would be lovely! :kiss2:
#notHelping :whistle:

Hahaha, yeah, and so now I'm really thinking hard on this one. Between you and @Wewechew and @amoline with the same suggestion, it's wiser than wearing it on a ring. I have started considering this option. I love how friends "help" on Pricescope! :lol: Yeah, I do it too. I was being sooo strong there for a minute.

I see many things that you could do with this diamond that would seriously mitigate the riskier parts of it.

Put it on a pendant and hang a nice warm gold south sea drop pearl beneath it, and have a lovely and huge pendant.

I always think - by how much, if I spent this money, would my other projects/goals be delayed? My mark is always 6 months. If it would cause more than a half-year delay, I'll pass on it because I consider it too much money. But, if 6 or less, I'd jump all over it.

This is the kind of "jump on" item that is something that is a ton of bang for buck, and ultimately little risk involved. When you first said feather, I'm imagining a diamond hanging on within an inch of its life, but that doesn't seem to be this stone.

Agree with Sledge, but a bargain trick I've used in the past: you should take 10 $100 bills and 4 $50 bills, and use the same strategy of the last bills strategically. Mentally, the bills being different than the others puts forth a "scrounged up some extra cash because I'm interested" feeling instead of "visited the ATM because I'm driving a hard bargain" - makes you seem like you were planning on paying with $100 bills, and happened to use some of your own personal cash to push the deal a little higher -- for his sake, of course. :mrgreen: It also feels less like you were hiding 2 extra 100's away trying to lowball the entire time. Using differently denominated bills in this case has worked for me more times than I can count.

I know, not helping. :lol:

Great decision balance there, @amoline Thanks for weighing in and bringing your pawn shop strategies as @sledge did...holy smokes, that is an effective bargaining strategy. Part of the fun in this process is the hunt and bargaining process. I can have so much fun trying to win a bargain that I can play past the tipping point. You do have to know when to walk. It's good business.

I would buy it if it looked beautiful to me. But. I’m not big into mmop moderns. It would be the color that would present an issue for me not the feather.

It really is beautiful in person. You know, I bought my first D colored earrings last month and I "get" the super white dazzle of a white diamond. I am quite happy they are on my ears and enjoy the white presence very much. This sized diamond in a D is not going to happen for me unless I win a lottery, so it is super fortunate I can love an M too :dance:

Personally, I would pass and save my money for something much more special.

@Queenie60 and I love your choices so much. You do have fabulous projects. Sometimes less is more.

Okay, here’s my 2 cents, If I love an item and I am strongly considering purchasing it, I use a simple method to help galvanise the decision.

Imagine you have the item in one hand and the cash in the other. Ask yourself, ‘which would I rather have? The (ring, coat etc) or the cash?’ I may wall around with the item in my hand for a few minutes whilst I decide.

This has helped me walk away from many purchases and also decide to go ahead and buy.

@Blingismything ...I love how smart this is. There are great decision skills on this thread. It did get me thinking though. I have several beautiful pieces that are second-string...I just have my "go-to" pieces. I have a diamond bezel at about .4 or so that is just too lightweight and walks around my neck. It's perfect and custom made, just too dainty. I have a collection of old rings that would be great scrap. I am going to take several pieces to a great antique jeweler in town and see what I can do to help support the project. If I do get part of the value out of things I never wear, I will feel better about the diamond. I could even barter a reset as part of a deal. Then I am not put as far back into other projects and I would have a nice diamond for a go-to pendant that doesn't walk around my neck. I'll see how I do this morning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results