shape
carat
color
clarity

So I picked up a pink diamond...

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
So I'm home early and my dear SO isn't around... :naughty: I can take out the little pink to try and photograph it!

45mins later and 50 deleted photos, I realise I need:

A) to read the gem photography gem guide on PS
B) A second hand macro lens
C) A silver platter
D) A lot of luck and a few pinkish flowers

Sigh. So anyway, my iphone was doing a better job of it than my DSLR in capturing the colour of the little pink. I'll make a new thread once I have photos worthy of note. Right now it is just to show what the stone looks like in a really quick and dirty iphone4 images.

Kenny, you aren't travelling to South East Asia with your camera kit anytime soon are you?

Please forgive the 2 CZs ( :blackeye: ) in the photos... I don't have any loose D coloured diamonds lying around, and I wanted to 'test' the great idea in this thread about providing visual contrast using smaller D diamonds. I swear the actual ring will have diamonds not CZs :praise: I do think the 0.25s are a bit big though... have to work out something with Victor...

I didn't buy CZ for jewelry, they came with my ASET & Idealscope. It is kinda cool looking at the pink with the ASET. :D

Pink in box 1.JPG

Pink 1.JPG

Pink 2.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the pink diamond next to the cz's: i think you got a really nice pink diamond. your pictures show it to a very good advantage. have you thought of another shape other than rounds to go with that lovely pinky?

T

talamasca

Oooo even in those pics I think the colour is lovely.

The CZ are def a bit too big and I think I would go for a different shape, may be pears or trillions.

Really looking foward to your e-ring project :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummers. :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: Very beautiful!!
I do agree the whites bring out the pink, which is already quite substantial.

Isn't it cool to think you have a rare pink diamond that a volcano shot out from deep within the earth and that beautiful color is result of geological forces?

BTW, you once posted this video clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHgy8AHjltk but did you see the whole show?
I rented the whole DVD from Netflix.
You may enjoy it too.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It looks awesome with the whites! I'm so honored my suggestion influenced your design. Have you seen .25? Victor for sure will help with the proportions but think of the whites as a backdrop.... You want as much white as possible to give the pink a nice background without drawfing it. In my head those are 25-30pointers but it would sure be great if victor could do a mock up of the different sizes to show you.

vsc

Shiny_Rock
It's so pretty!

I really concur that you need to set it against some white diamonds for contrast and also so that the color does not wash out against her skin.
I would either do a halo, or a three-stone with fancy shaped side stones - pears, or traps for a more art-deco look! Yum! What kind of setting style are you thinking of?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
pear sides would be lovely! :D

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with pear sides. It's a beautiful pink :love:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It took me a half hour to find these threads I wanted to show you. This girl had a pink diamond in a WG setting and had it reset into a RG halo. I thought it my be helpful to you to see the same stone set two different ways an the influence on color as you're thinking about your setting. Unfortunately the "before" pic is poor quality.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/making-the-best-of-my-pink-diamond.77157/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/making-the-best-of-my-pink-diamond.77157/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-pink-diamond-setting-in-time-for-a-special-ocassion.88147/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-pink-diamond-setting-in-time-for-a-special-ocassion.88147/[/URL]

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1311783377|2978031 said:
It took me a half hour to find these threads I wanted to show you. This girl had a pink diamond in a WG setting and had it reset into a RG halo. I thought it my be helpful to you to see the same stone set two different ways an the influence on color as you're thinking about your setting. Unfortunately the "before" pic is poor quality.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/making-the-best-of-my-pink-diamond.77157/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/making-the-best-of-my-pink-diamond.77157/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-pink-diamond-setting-in-time-for-a-special-ocassion.88147/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-pink-diamond-setting-in-time-for-a-special-ocassion.88147/[/URL]

I wanted to reply even before I opened the links :)) thank you Kelpie! :wavey:

Really appreciate all the help

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kelpie|1311783377|2978031 said:

holy smokes, that really made a huge difference.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an alternate to white Ds I'd also consider gray violet or powdery-soft grayish baby blues.
In small sizes and with some gray you may be able to find a pair that is not too costly.

4.png

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I think Kenny is on to something. I wouldn't pair your pink with white diamonds. I'd want a higher contrast between the stones. I'd go grey or maybe yellow but that might be a bit much for you personally. I'd totally rock out the pink and either grey or yellow though...but that's just me. :lickout:

frettybride

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous!!! Pretty much any setting will look awesome with this stone. White or grey/blue side-stones will definitely bring out the color.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, the higher contrast in the blue/grey option works much better than white to show off that pink beauty.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tristan, would you reconsider a halo? The diamond is quite gorgeous! I really think a rose gold halo with pink melee would be amazing.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
tristan, if you don't have a macro lens, point and shoot camera + 10x loupe would do the trick!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
OMG grey sides would make this the most beautiful ring! I am so not a baby pink person, and prefer almost any other colour, given the choice, but even I would climb over all sorts of clamouring people to snatch this baby away with grey sides...! *faints* :love: :love: :love:

Grey pears would be the Icing on the Ring Cake for me :naughty:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree about the grey sides and pink gold setting (with cup maybe). It would look stunning. However, the grey diamonds are a very unique look, and it might not be what your fiancee is expecting. For an ering, I would prefer classic white stones as sidestones. On a RHR, I would prefer the grey.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the input guys. I love the idea of grey diamonds to make the contrast even better, but I despair of finding a matching pair of greys, once I figure out the shape. I do worry a little bit about whether it is going too far... I think a faint grayish steel blue would be PERFECT to go with a platinum setting... but I don't think i can swing two more blue diamonds for a setting. I'll play around with it in my mind.

I appreciate the heads up on the halos. But am I the only one who is not loving the way a pink stone looks in a rose gold halo?

Leibish has lots and lots of ring jewelry with rose gold halos on their FCDs, but it isn't the classic look I'm going for, and the kicker is, I am very sure my SO won't go for the look. If she loved it... my job would be a LOT easier. I'll pick an alarielle solitaire setting from Victor, who will work his magic with pave, and I'll have one major kick-@ss ring. But I doubt I can go down this route.

To me rose gold seems to make the diamond melt into the metal and pink halos. From a distance the center of the ring will look 'bigger' for sure, but it seems to not let the diamond stand out. This is hard for me to express, so i hope you all understand what I'm trying to say.

So with the 3 stone idea, I'm wondering how it would work out. Please keep the ideas coming - I'm putting together an idea board ppt presentation with various ideas to kick around. I've got a few months. Lets do this one right people. ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

8876.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to buck the trend but I honestly wouldn't use grey diamonds. Grey diamonds can look like poor quality diamonds - although of course this very much depends on the shade of grey. I appreciate that well cut ones will be beautiful and gem lovers would ooooh and aaaaah BUT wearing the ring every day?

For a right hand ring, grey sides yes. For an e-ring? I'm not sure. It's also a VERY unusual combination and what I've found is that I fall out of love with these types of rings and go for a traditional colour combos that are easier to accessorise. Maybe that's just me though! Personally I love the pink/grey/violet combination (if it were all in one metal - probably platinum) but from a practical point of view I would hesitate.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

000023.png

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
A good idea never hurt anyone - and is very much appreciated. A contrarian viewpoint is equally valuable. Ultimately it is all about smart choices. And I love that we all hear all the various angles.

Truthfully, I am still leaning towards D-colourless diamonds. I find a twisted sense of satisfaction that D coloured diamonds are there to just function as "colour props". ;-)

But I'm all for considering anything that could enhance the ring. So I am also looking at blue grey colours. At the least, one vendor is gonna have to break out the camera for me again :lol:

T

talamasca

I was bored at work as usual :D so decided to browse Google trying to find an example of a pink round with diamond pears and came across this. I know the colour combination's the wrong way round, but still it's pretty and a little different:

Pink Diamond Ring.png

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I really like the stone you picked, Tristan - it's always difficult to know you've made the 'right' decision when you care so much. I think it's lovely though...and more importantly, the effort you're putting into the creation of this ring is the real value of the proposal. :bigsmile:

Maybe for the setting you could do a three stone bezel ring? Pinkie with rose gold in the middle, flanked by two smaller D/Es in platinum? Then you emphasize the color through the gold AND the comparison to colorless - and it's still a 'classic' design.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1311848328|2978759 said:
I really like the stone you picked, Tristan - it's always difficult to know you've made the 'right' decision when you care so much. I think it's lovely though...and more importantly, the effort you're putting into the creation of this ring is the real value of the proposal. :bigsmile:

Thank you ginger ;-) I'm hoping you are enjoying your 2 FCDs too.

Tell me about it. Took me 1 year of random reading to decide which diamond, then changed my mind to coloured diamonds, and 3 months of actively sourcing with the intention to buy. Finally get it... the weight of the decision is big (to me). Had to bug vendors/dealers in Switzerland, Israel, various parts of the USA, Australia, locally, Sri Lanka... Finally got it, but had to make a surprise trip with my SO reason unknown other than just to kick back and relax to pick it up and to pick it up without her knowing.

There is still sending out and finalising a setting, getting it made (i've decided Victor will have to be the right craftsman for this - he is such a consummate professional thus far, and I have a sense of rightness that his work will stand up to scrutiny bigtime in the end). Then need to plan a trip to collect it from him. Again a secret trip.

Then have to plan a trip to where we first met, to make the proposal. ;-) I have a few months left... wish me luck :D

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
TristanC said:
I appreciate the heads up on the halos. But am I the only one who is not loving the way a pink stone looks in a rose gold halo?

Leibish has lots and lots of ring jewelry with rose gold halos on their FCDs, but it isn't the classic look I'm going for, and the kicker is, I am very sure my SO won't go for the look. If she loved it... my job would be a LOT easier. I'll pick an alarielle solitaire setting from Victor, who will work his magic with pave, and I'll have one major kick-@ss ring. But I doubt I can go down this route.

To me rose gold seems to make the diamond melt into the metal and pink halos. From a distance the center of the ring will look 'bigger' for sure, but it seems to not let the diamond stand out. This is hard for me to express, so i hope you all understand what I'm trying to say.

So with the 3 stone idea, I'm wondering how it would work out. Please keep the ideas coming - I'm putting together an idea board ppt presentation with various ideas to kick around. I've got a few months. Lets do this one right people. ;-)

Tristan, I completely agree with you on this. I do like peachy stones in rose gold but I think pink stones look best with white metal. And while the grey diamonds do look nice, I'm not sold on them, especially for an e-ring. In my opinion, the perfect setting for your beautiful stone would be a 3-stone with round D/E sides in platinum but I wouldn't make the sidestones too large, I love 3-stones with sides of smallish proportions.

Do I dare ask if you have thought about a wedding band, or am I opening a whole other can of worms? :naughty: A plain platinum band? A thin pave band with pink diamond melee? Just curious... :wink2:

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, not to say anything negative but I would just point out that if the pink doesn't show under white flourescent lights that to me would be a worry since most office lighting is like that. I just wonder how 'pink' it will read once set. Maybe you can look at some set light pink diamonds to get some ideas. As for side stones I'd go for white, not a fan of grey. If the pink is light and the diamonds are grey just wondering if the color will look off, not enhanced?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I'm obsessed with rose gold in general, especially the more peachy-toned gold. However, I am not a fan of halos unless you're doing it for color contrast like Acebruin'ss white asscher in a pink halo. :love:

Otherwise color-on-color halos, in round especially for some reason, look to me like you couldn't afford the size diamond you wished for so you're trying to compensate. Also, as an active (read: clumsy) lady I would prefer the sleek look and low maintenance of a solitaire or three-stone.

This stone would do fine in any color I think, especially if it has some sides to show contrast so go with your gut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results