shape
carat
color
clarity

So I got the cluster ring

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
I have posted about two cluster ring a few weeks back
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-pear-help.225186/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-pear-help.225186/[/URL]

After so much back and forth, I decide to bite the bullet and buy the round cluster ring. It arrived yesterday. I have till Saturday to decide keeping it or sending it back. The ring is in good antique condition, no tear or wear. The center stone has nice facet pattern. The side stones are slightly vary in color/cut but not so obvious. There is not much restoration needs to be done other than the milgrain on the edges of the side stones.
My only reservation is that the center stone is only ~6.4mm and sides are ~4mm. It looks like the sides are somewhat competing not complementing the center.
The overall size of the cluster is ~15mm which is big on my finger (size 5~5.25).
Now I'm kind on the fence. Part of me really like it. I have been looked for a cluster for a while and this is my best find so far. On the other hand, I really wish the center stone is slightly bigger(~7mm) and sides are slightly smaller (~3.5mm).
Am I too picky with it? Should I keep looking?

img_20160922_200014.jpg
img_20160922_200103.jpg
il_570xn_201.jpg
tworings3_0.jpg
tworings1.jpg
tworings4.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is gorgeous! :love: But is the pear ring yours? Because if it is, they look very much alike to me other than the center stone shape. But if you want a round cluster ring, I don't see finding a better one than that. If the center gets bigger and the outer stones smaller, then that's a halo setting, to me. Two different things. Just depends on what you want. But I would probably want a style that looked different from the pear, personally.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I really like it. I agree with the previous poster that if the side stones were smaller it would be more of a halo.

It's beautiful!

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1474603988|4079807 said:
I think it is gorgeous! :love: But is the pear ring yours? Because if it is, they look very much alike to me other than the center stone shape. But if you want a round cluster ring, I don't see finding a better one than that. If the center gets bigger and the outer stones smaller, then that's a halo setting, to me. Two different things. Just depends on what you want. But I would probably want a style that looked different from the pear, personally.

Thanks DS. The pear is not mine (I wish it is).
I forget to mention that the last 3 pics are from the vendor for the comparison. I was deciding between pear and round from beginning and settle with the round.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it very much. But only you can decide if you will be happy with it.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a very pretty ring. Whether it's the ring for you or not, I can't answer. I like it, and I like those proportions more than I would like a larger center stone with smaller surrounding stones. But if you have a very specific proportion in mind, it might be best to have it made rather than waiting to stumble upon an antique ring that fits your specs. With any premade rings you have to be more flexible than with custom, and with antique rings even more so.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty ring and looks well made but if you don't love it now, maybe you never will? I've been looking out for a vintage cluster ring too and I know what you mean, there never seems to be a perfect "one". JbG have one but the centre stone is I1 clarity- there's always something! :wall:

If you're not desperate to have it I'd keep looking.......

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it too, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I think it's very beautiful. I think it's better with those proportions, it looks more like a flower. In my opinion if the centre stone goes up to 7mm and the others get smaller it is more a centre diamond with a halo and that style isn't very unique.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
For what it's worth I think this cluster ring is seriously beautiful! To my eye the proportions are perfect and it looks like a gorgeous sparkly flower! Love this ring :love: but ultimately it's you who has to love it and if you're not feeling the love then perhaps it's not the one for you (though I hope it is, it's so pretty!). Best of luck with your decision :wavey:

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
It screams old world charm. I never let it go, if it was mine :appl:. It's perfect as it is.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Imdoubler

Well, I had this exact same journey a while ago and never *precisely* ended up where I wanted to go. I'm a big fan of 'flower rings' and had one made many years ago. Like you, I had reservations about the center stone and felt it was too small. My original flower ring had a 5.7mm center and 4mm sides. The center stone was bezeled, which gave it a bit more size, but I never felt like it did exactly what I wanted it to do. (See first photo) So, I saved up and bought all new sides that were 4.1mm and a new center which was 7.1mm - very close to what you're talking about re center stones. (See second photo) I do love this ring, and I think the proportions were very close to what you have now. But I decided ultimately to put a sapphire in the center of it and now LOVE it. Having color in the center completely changed the feel of it and the way the proportions looked. (See third photo) But - back at my original plan, what I think I reeeeeally wanted was something more like what you're talking about - 7mm center, 3.5 rounds. (See photo 4) Your normal cluster or flower ring has 8 surrounding stones most commonly. I prefer the look of 10 or 12 stones. I definitely don't consider that a halo (as you can see by the look of my last photo) - it's just a slightly different look. Not quite a flower, definitely not a halo.

However - having said all of that...

As someone who looked at and for flower rings for a LONG time, I don't think I have ever seen one more beautifully made than the one you have. It's a real piece of design beauty, and I would keep that ring in a heartbeat and consider myself lucky! As another poster said - there's a bunch out there, but there's something 'wrong' with almost all of them. So to find one as gorgeous as you have is a real rarity. I'd keep it.

I hope this helps!

p4150180a.jpg

img_4074-2.jpg

img_12751.jpg

cluster_ring_a.jpg

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I LOVE it. I think the proportions are perfect for a cluster ring. I also love the setting with the bezeled centre and "cupped" halo stones (but I may be biased!) It is beautiful.

My antique cluster probably has more the proportions you are looking for - 6.7-7.2mm centre and 3.4-3.5mm stones in the cluster. My finger is also a 5-5.25, and it spans about 12.8mmx12.3mm. But as others said I think it does lend to a very different look. It is still flowery, but many seem to describe it as a halo instead of a cluster. It also took me years to find this ring!

You have to be the one to love it though. So even though a few people here would wear it happily, I am sure, if it is not quite right for you now it probably won't be quite right for you tomorrow, either :)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts. :clap: :clap:

After slept on it, I'm more inclined to keep it but I still have 1 more day to decide. It is a well made ring and the condition is surprisingly good. :love: :love:

I have considered the custom route to get my perfect proportion. But for a cluster ring, I REALLY want something antique, something old but with charm. As all you know that there are always something to compromise on those old rings. But this ring speaks to me. It screaming my name :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
mrs-b|1474630807|4079861 said:
Hi Imdoubler

Well, I had this exact same journey a while ago and never *precisely* ended up where I wanted to go. I'm a big fan of 'flower rings' and had one made many years ago. Like you, I had reservations about the center stone and felt it was too small. My original flower ring had a 5.7mm center and 4mm sides. The center stone was bezeled, which gave it a bit more size, but I never felt like it did exactly what I wanted it to do. (See first photo) So, I saved up and bought all new sides that were 4.1mm and a new center which was 7.1mm - very close to what you're talking about re center stones. (See second photo) I do love this ring, and I think the proportions were very close to what you have now. But I decided ultimately to put a sapphire in the center of it and now LOVE it. Having color in the center completely changed the feel of it and the way the proportions looked. (See third photo) But - back at my original plan, what I think I reeeeeally wanted was something more like what you're talking about - 7mm center, 3.5 rounds. (See photo 4) Your normal cluster or flower ring has 8 surrounding stones most commonly. I prefer the look of 10 or 12 stones. I definitely don't consider that a halo (as you can see by the look of my last photo) - it's just a slightly different look. Not quite a flower, definitely not a halo.

However - having said all of that...

As someone who looked at and for flower rings for a LONG time, I don't think I have ever seen one more beautifully made than the one you have. It's a real piece of design beauty, and I would keep that ring in a heartbeat and consider myself lucky! As another poster said - there's a bunch out there, but there's something 'wrong' with almost all of them. So to find one as gorgeous as you have is a real rarity. I'd keep it.

I hope this helps!

Thank you mrs-b!! Thanks for sharing your journey.
Is the ring in photo 4 yours? I have been drooled over that ring forever. :love: :love: :love: It will be my HOLY GRAIL ring if I can ever find one which I highly doubted.
I think the ring in your photo 2 is very similar like mine. I love the sapphire as the center stone and yours are one of my all-time favorite sapphire rings on PS. I just love the flowery outline and scalloped shape. Nothing beats it! :love: :love: :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much did you pay for it?

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Looks perfect to me!

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
RaiKai|1474635643|4079879 said:
Well, I LOVE it. I think the proportions are perfect for a cluster ring. I also love the setting with the bezeled centre and "cupped" halo stones (but I may be biased!) It is beautiful.

My antique cluster probably has more the proportions you are looking for - 6.7-7.2mm centre and 3.4-3.5mm stones in the cluster. My finger is also a 5-5.25, and it spans about 12.8mmx12.3mm. But as others said I think it does lend to a very different look. It is still flowery, but many seem to describe it as a halo instead of a cluster. It also took me years to find this ring!

You have to be the one to love it though. So even though a few people here would wear it happily, I am sure, if it is not quite right for you now it probably won't be quite right for you tomorrow, either :)

Hi Raikai, I love your cluster! Yours has my ideal proportion. :love: :love:
I do love it. I just wish it is perfect which is not so realistic with all old world rings.

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Saturday has come and gone ... and I'm happy to announce that I'm keeping this beauty :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Thanks everyone again for your comments/supports. I will come back with pics once I figured out how to take good pics of my rings :love: :love: :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's so beautiful. I think you made a good decision. Truly.

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1474779993|4080476 said:
It's so beautiful. I think you made a good decision. Truly.

Thank you Gypsy! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I really struggled between this round and the pear from beginning. But your analysis helped me realizing that the pear is not for me. I'm so happy that it is mine now. I need to find a beautiful name for her :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great decision - congratulations!

No - the last ring in the photos I posted isn't mine - don't I wish it was, though!! That ring is all old cuts, which makes it even more rare and wonderful.

I think your ring, however, is absolutely fabulous. I'm so glad you kept it; I don't think you'll see one as beautiful come along very often.

Enjoy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! :love: Glad you decided to keep it! :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is truly beautiful! I am so glad you are keeping it! The center stone is really far superior to the pear, and I am so glad Gypsy directed you away from the pear to this ring. I think it looks great on you! Congratulations!

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1474780669|4080479 said:
She looks like a flower to me.

Give her a flower name.

There are a LOT of them, and most of them are lovely.

http://nameberry.com/list/97/Flower-Names-for-Girls?all=1

I have a pendant, I named Marguerite, which means daisy in French. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-pendants/marguerite-platinum-5458p?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyJi_BRDLusby7_S7z-IBEiQAwCVvn1SkbTJKh6UpXXA6FehIhW9cdBzvM-eLkmqarYM8A-8aAmpT8P8HAQ

I have picked her name -- Camellia!!!!!
The name list you shared is very handy!!

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
It will soon be off to get resized and milgrain restored. :appl: :appl:
I promise I will post more pics on SMTB when it comes back. :naughty: :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
imdoubler|1474861453|4080757 said:
Gypsy|1474780669|4080479 said:
She looks like a flower to me.

Give her a flower name.

There are a LOT of them, and most of them are lovely.

http://nameberry.com/list/97/Flower-Names-for-Girls?all=1

I have a pendant, I named Marguerite, which means daisy in French. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-pendants/marguerite-platinum-5458p?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyJi_BRDLusby7_S7z-IBEiQAwCVvn1SkbTJKh6UpXXA6FehIhW9cdBzvM-eLkmqarYM8A-8aAmpT8P8HAQ

I have picked her name -- Camellia!!!!!
The name list you shared is very handy!!

How funny is that! That's the name I favored but, as it is not my ring, I didn't say anything.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a beautiful ring but I LOVe flower shaped cluster style rings!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results