OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the confirmation, both! :)

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1579CB38-64B8-4E08-BBC8-C4E57A545F93.jpeg 7CAAF779-3DF4-4CF5-8282-1DF1E8FBED33.jpeg 0D5EDC19-E35A-42AD-8AF2-90EB033F45D5.jpeg DA1FD220-66CB-4869-B84F-B4AF31FAF02A.jpeg 9649C85E-6E7A-4D1A-B703-725BFC082FDF.jpeg D92CEB39-9292-466F-BE0F-ECCA0A2DC8C5.jpeg 8B73C70B-071B-4056-B8E1-A8BAA7D43D28.jpeg 3DD45F3E-BB6A-4B31-A75F-3AF916E3A0CF.jpeg Here’s some miscellaneous gem and crystal cases. Obviously you’re not going to see everything up close, but for those who have never been, this gives an idea what to expect. They had zillions of cases like these.

Attachments

• 3C821982-9B1A-4B9B-B5E2-D664DC8C2C24.jpeg
    3C821982-9B1A-4B9B-B5E2-D664DC8C2C24.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 23

pammbw

Rough_Rock
Love the gem collection at the Natural History Museum! It's truly one of my favorite places in the world. The Smithsonian has an incredible collection! I visit several times a year, both the art museum and the gem collection. My happy places.

If one looks at the Hope Diamond simply as a gem then yes it can be underwhelming, as it is the history of the gem that is the most interesting. Indian Maharaja, French Revolutions, curses, tragic socialites and many deaths attached to the gem give it a magical presence. It weaves its spell on you the minute you rest your gaze on it.

My other favorites are Empress Josephines emeralds and her turquoise and diamond tiara. Stunning bits of turquoise! The opals are a big favorite too. Really wish they would include more pearls!! The history of the gems and how they came into the collection is fascinating also.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A1311F40-F5AD-4D4D-B772-10F483D15447.jpeg I obviously could have stood all day in there, and the national art museum, but my family has absolutely no interest in gems and crystals, and my daughter loves art, but the men in my life rather watch sports or video games.:lol:

I’m so happy I got to see her though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CFB3989E-2D24-4573-8CE8-C2DDBD0C8B36.jpeg I took a horrible picture of Empress Josephine’s pieces, much nicer in person.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thanks so much TL. This was a true picker-upper for me today. I admit that I like to see the imperfections in the gems. It reminds me of my own collection.

Annette

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh! DaVinci! What a thrill it must have been to see this one!
Years ago we visited the Smithsonian--when the gems and minerals were closed for renovation! They only had the Hope on display. So disappointing.
But I got to see all the great paintings! To see a famous painting in real life, that you've only ever seen in books, is so exciting! I got dizzy from being in the midst of them all.
Of course I love all the gems. Thanks for all the great photos!

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some alexandrite. One was pretty (top photo) but too dark, and the others they had were muddy.

Ha! Even the Smithsonian can't find a decent alexandrite. Maybe alert them to the recommended vendor list :D

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First up, the Hope. Extremely grey with specks of blue flash. I was underwhelmed. It really looks this grey in person. It reminded me of some grey spinel I’ve seen,

I remember this being gorgeous. Maybe they unplugged it...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! Even the Smithsonian can't find a decent alexandrite. Maybe alert them to the recommended vendor list :D

Lol, It was still better than our national history museum’s alexandrite. Ours looks like a faceted obsidian with brown undertones!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember this being gorgeous. Maybe they unplugged it...
Nah, my pictures can’t lie. It was super grey. The pale blue heart diamond was much nicer. The Hope is a historic gem though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh! DaVinci! What a thrill it must have been to see this one!
Years ago we visited the Smithsonian--when the gems and minerals were closed for renovation! They only had the Hope on display. So disappointing.
But I got to see all the great paintings! To see a famous painting in real life, that you've only ever seen in books, is so exciting! I got dizzy from being in the midst of them all.
Of course I love all the gems. Thanks for all the great photos!
Oh I know, I was in awe, especially the Da Vinci, Rembrandts and Vermeers.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I know, I was in awe, especially the Da Vinci, Rembrandts and Vermeers.
I was also in awe of the Vermeers. Girl with a Red Hat---OMG
And so many of my favorites, Manet, Fragonard, Sargent, Turner, Gainsborough, etc, etc.
I had to take deep breaths to keep my composure!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be in the area in September (and will make time to see these...I couldn't last time!) Thank you for the pictures, it just whets the appetite...lol

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! Love museum threads!
@TL, is that the branch of Smithsonian that has red diamond there?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! Love museum threads!
@TL, is that the branch of Smithsonian that has red diamond there?
Yes, and I mentioned the red diamond with a photo of it in this thread. I do not care for red diamonds in particular and this one was horrible. It looked exactly like a poor quality dark pyrope.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C4C4A9D5-5669-47FA-944D-39E79377FDB6.jpeg This was the most red flash I could get out of this red diamond. The rest of it was a very dark brownish black color. This was with its very own bright spot light.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So in retrospect, my favorite pieces were the emeralds (not the Hooker though), the blue heart diamond, the Carmen Lucia ruby and all the ruby pieces in the same case, the opal case, and other miscellaneous diamond pieces with the exception of the red diamond and the Hope. It was exciting to see the Hope though because it was like seeing a very famous celebrity, albeit an unattractive one, lol!

The gem collections in my city museums pale in comparison.

Oh...and that 11 carat Russian demantoid :love::love::love:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
34EAFEFC-89DA-4BB0-884F-E7628D0BAF7C.jpeg
They’re not gems, but they had several moon rocks and some moon dust in the nearby corridor, very very cool from a scientific standpoint. I also enjoyed the meteorites.
I think the widmanstatten (spelling?) lines in meteors are awesome :))

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So in retrospect, my favorite pieces were the emeralds (not the Hooker though), the blue heart diamond, the Carmen Lucia ruby and all the ruby pieces in the same case, the opal case, and other miscellaneous diamond pieces with the exception of the red diamond and the Hope. It was exciting to see the Hope though because it was like seeing a very famous celebrity, albeit an unattractive one, lol!

The gem collections in my city museums pale in comparison.

Oh...and that 11 carat Russian demantoid :love::love::love:

Was the demantoid turning around? There was one...if it was that one, how did you manage to capture it?

Are you in DC? The reason I am asking, I have seen the DC and the NYC Smithsonians, and I don’t remember what was where, except for the dinosaurs.

If you are in DC, there is a wonderful Marjorie Post’s Museum there.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was the demantoid turning around? There was one...if it was that one, how did you manage to capture it?

Are you in DC? The reason I am asking, I have seen the DC and the NYC Smithsonians, and I don’t remember what was where, except for the dinosaurs.

If you are in DC, there is a wonderful Marjorie Post’s Museum there.
I’m back home, but I have to go back!! I need to see way more!!

The demantoid wasn’t turning around, but it had a nice case. It was very special. They could keep their Russian alexandrite, this was a fine example if a Russian gem, or any gem for that matter. It wasn’t glowy like the emeralds, but imagine a fine tsavorite green with tons of fire.

I don’t recall seeing any paraiba, but my kids kept trying to get me moving along as they were bored. :confused2:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I went, I was fascinated by the huge rutile crystals they had. There is a lot of information about how rocks are formed and mined. It’s such a great place to learn.

Thanks for the great photos!

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
The Carmen Lucia is my favorite ruby, I think! Actually bought the gift shop copy and the prongs are all wrong.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Carmen Lucia is my favorite ruby, I think! Actually bought the gift shop copy and the prongs are all wrong.
I find those mass produced copies never to be fully accurate. There is a YouTuber that adores everything Liz Taylor, and has custom made fakes of some of her pieces. They’re exquisite reproductions.

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@T L I thought of you while watching NOVA Treasures of the Earth: Gems

LINK from PBS

I am sure you have seen it and heard of Mike Scott.

HOPE looked much more blue on the show but my friend also agreed with you and said that she wasn't too "impressed" by it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just watched that NOVA show again the other night. I saw it some months ago when it first aired. I too was floored at how they got the Hope to look so blue. My only explanation was perhaps it is bluer in some lighting, but the lighting they had in the case the day I saw it was only showing the gray. It looks like a dark grey spinel in person with flashes of blue.

I wasn’t thrilled with the sapphire Mike Scott recently acquired either, talk about a deep stone!!! However, I would love to see the rest of his collection. He has the funds and gemological equipment we can only dream of!! I’m
jealous!

@T L I thought of you while watching NOVA Treasures of the Earth: Gems

LINK from PBS

I am sure you have seen it and heard of Mike Scott.

HOPE looked much more blue on the show but my friend also agreed with you and said that she wasn't too "impressed" by it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results