shape
carat
color
clarity

Smithsonian gems

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
How is that possible? The meteorites are so rare. I would need an origin report (really) but what would it even say? "Extraterrestrial"?

EDIT: Interesting GIA report describing unique "acicular" inclusions that are not found in "earth-mined" (hey, a real use for that term) peridot -- so I guess an origin report is possible, in theory...

All the ones I've seen of moderate or higher value come with GIT reports.
Really low quality photo but you can make it out.

PPeridotV.jpg
PPeridotI.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh sure, many stones considered pigeon's blood fail to truly earn the designation. But the stones that do would eclipse Lucia in terms of color. Again, just my opinion. No brown is a plus, vivid is another plus. But a purer red hue would be ideal in my book. I wonder if it is unheated? I couldn't find any literature on the topic, though, admittedly, I didn't search for very long. :sleep:

Look at this sucker cited by Lotus... :drool: That's about as red as you can get, I reckon. It comes from the below article, which you've probably seen before. I know I've read it about 10x. lol

pigeons-blood-ruby.jpg

See, and I think that’s really orangy, as I said we all like what we like and color is subjective. I’ll take a stone with the Carmen Lucia color over that any day.

I prefer this tuby

Last edited:
Oooooo see I actually really love that IG stone, @T L!! :kiss2: To these tired eyes, it looks predominantly red with just a pink modifier. We're in perfect agreement there, my friend. But Mr. Hughes and I definitely part tastes with you on that Lotus ruby! :twisted2:

I was surprised, but relieved, to learn that the term "pigeon's blood" historically referred to the red of the bird's eye, and not actually the blood. Those crazy miners.

b1588c13bca451cdb3757fb06224ae36.jpg

I recently shared my stone on another thread... it's 3.16ct. unheated. It has just a touch of pink/purple in person (almost loupe clean with a little silk). It took me a while to find a true red that wasn't overly dark or had fluorescence-quenching iron content. Naturally, my stone is to the Lucia ruby what a shoe pebble is to the great Mt. Everest. But I do prefer the color! Sorry (again) for the lousy photo...

index1zac756cv9b09p88.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooo see I actually really love that IG stone, @T L!! :kiss2: To these tired eyes, it looks predominantly red with just a pink modifier. We're in perfect agreement there, my friend. But Mr. Hughes and I definitely part tastes with you on that Lotus ruby! :twisted2:

I was surprised, but relieved, to learn that the term "pigeon's blood" historically referred to the red of the bird's eye, and not actually the blood. Those crazy miners.

b1588c13bca451cdb3757fb06224ae36.jpg

I recently shared my stone on another thread... it's 3.16ct. unheated. It has just a touch of pink/purple in person (almost loupe clean with a little silk). It took me a while to find a true red that wasn't overly dark or had fluorescence-quenching iron content. Naturally, my stone is to the Lucia ruby what a shoe pebble is to the great Mt. Everest. But I do prefer the color! Sorry (again) for the lousy photo...

index1zac756cv9b09p88.jpg

Beautiful stone!! What infuriated me the most about the pigeon blood metaphor is that enhanced photo really isn’t the color of a pigeon eye. They come in all sorts of shades of red or pink or orange, so go figure that one out. I hate metaphors in general.

6372FF33-4A34-4523-8E80-8A2D00032EEC.jpeg

Thank you, @T L! Yeah, I believe the term specifically relates to the Victoria Crowned Pigeon, which does in fact have impossibly red irises. :kiss2:

Capture.JPG

I agree with you and LilAlex, who so eloquently said that he dislikes "blood of various vertebrate species" monikers. :lol-2: They also used to refer to "royal red" rubies (apparently a shade darker than the former) as "rabbit's blood." But I guess the old Burmese miners didn't exactly have Wikipedia color charts available back in the day!

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @T L! Yeah, I believe the term specifically relates to the Victoria Crowned Pigeon, which does in fact have impossibly red irises. :kiss2:

Capture.JPG

I agree with you and LilAlex, who so eloquently said that he dislikes "blood of various vertebrate species" monikers. :lol-2: They also used to refer to "royal red" rubies (apparently a shade darker than the former) as "rabbit's blood." But I guess the old Burmese miners didn't exactly have Wikipedia color charts available back in the day!

Beautiful bird, I love the color of his plumage. Well they need to change the metaphor to “ Victoria Crowned pigeon blood red.” Lol

Beautiful bird, I love the color of his plumage. Well they need to change the metaphor to “ Victoria Crowned pigeon blood red.” Lol

:lol-2: Indeed! That's some fancy arse pigeon. Pigeons 'round these parts look like their busted out cousins.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results