shape
carat
color
clarity

Smithsonian Gems and Minerals Hall

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Wow, LovingDiamonds, I think yours is quite fine - nicely defined center and clean, neat, radial spokes! I find the variations interesting - some have no center hexagon, some are closed like yours, and some are open. You're a lucky lady to have this in your collection - thanks very much for sharing the photo, I really enjoyed it!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cellentani|1293986677|2812308 said:
Wow, LovingDiamonds, I think yours is quite fine - nicely defined center and clean, neat, radial spokes! I find the variations interesting - some have no center hexagon, some are closed like yours, and some are open. You're a lucky lady to have this in your collection - thanks very much for sharing the photo, I really enjoyed it!

You're more than welcome. I'm glad you like it. Like you, I find Trapiche's (not sure what the plural would be - trapichi??? :bigsmile: ) fascinating. I've got a ruby as well and for the life of me, can't find a photo of it. I've not seen many Trapiche Rubies so pounced on it without thinking! If you do buy one, please post up photos won't you?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1293987540|2812318 said:
cellentani|1293986677|2812308 said:

You're more than welcome. I'm glad you like it. Like you, I find Trapiche's (not sure what the plural would be - trapichi??? :bigsmile: ) fascinating. I've got a ruby as well and for the life of me, can't find a photo of it. I've not seen many Trapiche Rubies so pounced on it without thinking! If you do buy one, please post up photos won't you?
Oh, you MUST find the ruby trapiche photo! Is there a core hexagonal shape? What color are the lines - dark or white/yellow? Is it Burmese? I feel bad for asking so many questions, but hey, that's what happens when you don't post a photo, lol.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have an uncut sapphire that I think has the trapiché structure in it. The stone is blue with a clear->yellow core. I will try to get a photo pf the structure.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1293999752|2812488 said:
I have an uncut sapphire that I think has the trapiché structure in it. The stone is blue with a clear->yellow core. I will try to get a photo pf the structure.
Yes please, Vapid - I would love to see your trapiché sapphire. Does the core have a concentration of needle-like inclusions?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Here it is. Bear in mind it is not polished so the structure is a little hard to see. The triangle clear core looks almost like a lidocaine, um, luddite, no that's not it, help me folks what's the word? tourmaline.

trippytrapisapph.jpg

tSapph2.jpg

tSapph1.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
on thing most odd about it is the trapiché structure disappears at most angles. Also the 6 segments seem to have different color densities between them. I would have called it zoning but it is homogeneous within each segment. As far as I can see with 10X there are no inclusions excepting the trap

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
For those who need to know this rough is 4 carat 7.5x9x6mm

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
liddicoatite?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
That's it! Liddicoatite. Thanks Cellentani :wavey:

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1294003663|2812546 said:
That's it! Liddicoatite. Thanks Cellentani :wavey:
Glad to help, although, Lidocaine was a valiant and hilarious effort, lol.

Thanks for posting the pics - I wish I knew more about why the center is lighter in color. I've seen lots of emerald trapiches where an entire section is a different color, or has a different concentration of impurities, so your description of each sapphire section having different densities isn't out-of-line to me.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for you Cell! The Ruby Trapiche is really not good quality but I was fascinated as I hadn't seen one before so I had to get it!

Trapiche Emerald and Ruby.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, I like the ruby, LovingDiamonds! What are the white lines made of? Are they clusters of tiny needle-like inclusions? Thanks to you and Vapid, I'm in trapiche heaven today!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani,
Thanks for taking the pictures and sharing it with us. Greasy or not, at least you had the chance to view them up close (even if the glass case is in the way). As for me, all I have to offer is drool and buckets full of it too. :lol:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Cellentani! Loved looking at these and have added it to my must go places list!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the pics. That is on my list of things to do one of these days.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Cellentani, wonderful pictures! They've made me want to go back! Thank you for sharing. :))

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
zeolite|1294105742|2813689 said:
Cellentani,

Thanks for taking the effort to make these pictures and share with us. Your photography is very good, and is much appreciated.

I hope people don’t mind my showing of gem pictures (with fabulous butterfly gem broaches) beginning toward the bottom of the first page and continuing for several pages at the San Diego Natural History Museum:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/san-diego-lady-and-other-socal-residents.147765/

Zeolite, thank you for posting all those amazing pictures! I don't know how I miss that thread!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH my gosh these pics are amazing!!! thank you for posting these; sigh :love: :love: :love:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Argh gorgeous! I loved the sapphire and diamond necklace (i believe it was the second one you posted!)... so pretty thank you so much for posting pictures...i throughly enjoyed it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't it be awesome if this could somehow become a permanent sticky at the top of the page under the guise of education and eye candy? :devil:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for posting these fantastic pictures cellentani! I would love to see this exhibit.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1294146439|2813907 said:
Wouldn't it be awesome if this could somehow become a permanent sticky at the top of the page under the guise of education and eye candy? :devil:
I know TL has a thread on Chicago's Field Museum, and zeolite posted photos from the All that Glitters exhibit in San Diego - it would be great to have them all in one place!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results