shape
carat
color
clarity

Smithsonian Gems and Minerals Hall

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History - I've been several times, but Gems and Mineral hall never gets old for me. I've been wanting to go again for awhile, so after too many holiday cookies, we packed up the family and headed downtown. For my kids, that exhibit does get old, like after 5 minutes, so my DH was a real trooper in taking them to see the skeletons and bugs so I could take my time.

I have found many of the jewels, particularly the emeralds, to be extremely difficult to capture. Plus, in addition to color accuracy issues, shooting from behind glass with harsh spotlights just adds to the challenge. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy the photos - I had a wonderful time! And, if these don't quite cut it for you, professional photos can be seen on the Smithsonian website: http://mineralsciences.si.edu/collections/gem_gallery.htm

One last thing: maybe I'm a persnickety PSer, but some of the gems were filthy!! I'm not talking about a piece of lint here and there, but some actually looked greasy - like they'd been stored next to the stove while frying hamburgers! I wish they'd clean them - nearly broke my heart.

Okay then, up first: corundum!

More to follow....

Bismarck Necklace-1.JPG

IMG_1328-1.JPG

IMG_1372-1.JPG

Logan Sapphire-1.JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
That topaz translates as
10 pounds 1.49 ounces!!!!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loooove these pics, C! I'm thinking that topaz would make for a great work-out partner. *wink, wink*

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Loving this! Those stars are amazing!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
one burma ruby bracelet to go, please!

MoZo

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Great photos!

I'd love to see this collection in person one day.

The Logan sapphire is just beautiful...

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful collection! Especially the opals and huge topaz.
I wonder why the stones looked dirty? You would think theyll'd be cleanIng them like mad...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I hope you enjoyed it - Happy New Year, everyone!!

IMG_1395-1.JPG

IMG_1365-1.JPG

IMG_1413-1.JPG

Victoria-Transvaal Diamond Necklace-2.JPG

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Some of the stones in the Nat Hist. Museum here in London look pretty grubby as well - even seen thumb-prints on the tables...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!
Thanks so much for posting.
I love the pics.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani: Thank you so much for sharing. You photos are quite good and now I'll be jonesing for a trip myself. A question for you: what is a trapiche emerald?

Hey Future Mrs. Williamson: Did you see the quartz and the rutile inclusions?!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your comments - I consider myself very lucky to live in proximity to an exhibit like this.

When I think about it, the issue of cleaning museum gemstones would be a logistical nightmare. Think about how irreplaceable they are, the risks taken when cleaning, and the security and insurance issues. Not something you want to be doing on a regular basis, I imagine. And hey, a dirty gem is worth more than an accidentally cracked gem!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would love to have that dirty filthy Rosser Reeves Ruby

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1293918725|2811828 said:
Cellentani: Thank you so much for sharing. You photos are quite good and now I'll be jonesing for a trip myself. A question for you: what is a trapiche emerald?

Hey Future Mrs. Williamson: Did you see the quartz and the rutile inclusions?!!

Hi minousbijoux! Funny, I also thought of FMW as soon as I saw that quartz.

I'm totally not an expert, but they're a fairly rare emerald formation, where carbon impurities fill or are pushed to the crystal junctions. Sometimes there's a hexagonal shape in the center, and the carbon spokes radiate out from there. The name trapiche (there should be an accent over the 'e') supposedly comes from the spoked wheel used to process sugar cane, from the nearby mills in Columbia. In jewelry, I've seen them en cabachon or as a polished slice. I happened to notice that the Gem Trader has a trapiche tourmaline for sale, as well.

Frenchgirl

Brilliant_Rock
:shock: :o :cheeky: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: wow wonderful pics!!!!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I love this exhibit! My (geologist/GG) boyfriend took me to see this exhibit as one of our first dates; it's a totally different experience to go with someone who can really talk about the specimens-I learned so much! We still love to go into the city for an afternoon of gawking, thanks for the pictures!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Cell!!
The centerpiece of the Inquisition necklace is supposedly one of the cleanest and finest emeralds in the world. It's a pity it has a big drill hole through it! :((

Great photos!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, drool!!! Slaver! Beautiful! After a day there I'd come home with sparkles in my eyes. The rutile quartz is gorgeous! And all those unusual formations.

Is that a big honkin' window I see in the sapphire on the right, 3rd picture?

Thanks for posting such joyful things.

--- Laurie

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Year Cell!

Thank you for sharing these beauties....I'm in awe!

Lori

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Cell, these are great photos! :love: :love:

Happy new year everyone!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Cell. I'd be happy to accompany you anytime I'm in town.

P, come to the East Coast. We'll go to the American and the Smithsonian.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting lots of beautiful pics. They are amazing! :love: :appl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Cell your photos are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

Out of interest, do you know the carat weight of the Trapiche Emerald? I've got a small one that I love (keeping it loose) but the one in your photo looks enormous!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, such great pics cell! As I am in Europe, I am not likely to visit such amazing collection ever, thank you for sharing!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Many thanks everyone - I'm very happy to share the experience. I hope many of you will get to see this spectacular exhibit in person.

aviastar - a first date like that would most likely seal the deal for me, lol. As it is, I'm lucky to have a DH who is sympathetic to my hobbies, but wow, touring with a GG would take it to a new level!

TL, those were my thoughts exactly - I mean, who the heck has a large, nearly perfect specimen of emerald, and thinks, 'gee, this would make an awesome bead!' :rolleyes:

jewelfreak, given the angle, I think that's just a tilt window, but you'd be amazed how many ginormous windows there are in other stones. Logan sapphire? HUGE window - it's a very shallow stone!

Harriet - it's a deal. What's AMNH like? I mean to get there one day.

LovingDiamonds, there wasn't any carat weight listed, but it was large - maybe 2-3 inches across? I would love, love, love to see a pic of yours - is it polished?

Hey megave, you're very welcome. I'd forgotten you were across the pond.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cell - here you go but please excuse the terrible photos ...... (not quite Smithsonian material)! :bigsmile:

Emerald Traipche Emerald.jpg

Emerald Trapiche Emerald 0.58ct.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results