shape
carat
color
clarity

Small diamond studs - couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Elmorton!

I''m a little late to the game here, but wanted to chime in since I obviously have the .30 ctw RSG. I wavered between the .25 and .30 and am ultimately happy I went for the ones that are a little larger. They are SO sparkly and really a great size. I''m sure .30''s in martinis will be lovely, too. Good luck with your search and congrats on your upcoming anniversary!!!
36.gif

SK

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting, Siamese Kitty! I'm so glad you did, b/c I missed your thread - that shot with the arrows was icing on the cake for me: WF it is. I just haven't seen anything that seems to match the quality, even if the price is slightly higher than other vendors I've found.

Do the baskets sit close to the ear or do they stick out a little to let more light in?

P.S. Your pile of bling is to die for! Wowee :)

ETA: Thanks for the anniversary wishes! Right now, I can't wait til June just because I'm SOOOOOOO sick of winter - waiting for diamonds is just making it worse, I think! ;-)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Here's a chart that I made to help clarify price points and what places offer what sizes, etc. - these are mostly for 1/4 ctw, since I made it prior to deciding on the 1/3. Thought I'd post it in case others found it helpful:

Diamond Studs
Store Ctw/Prong/Back Price Grade
Blue Nile .23-5 4-prong basket screwback $225 I/SI2/Good
Blue Nile 1/3 bezel screwback $340 I/SI2/Good
Whiteflash ¼ 4-prong ? $260 G/SI/Expert Select
James Allen ¼ 4-prong (screw opt) $245 H-I/SI
ERD 1/3 bezel screw $275 H-I/SI+
ERD .25-7 4 prong screw $225 H-I/SI+
Angara ¼ 4-prong basket screw $225 I-SI2
Mondera ¼ H&A 4-prong screw $350 G-H/SI
Mondera ¼ 4-prong screw $250 G-H/SI
Knox Jewelers 1/3 bezel leverback $399 H/SI
Diamondstudsonly ¼ martini screw $250 G-H/SI1
With Brilliance .23-5 4 prong screw $215 G-H/SI
Whiteflash 1/3 ctw 3 prong martini $440 G/SI/Expert Select

ETA: I just noticed that JA has 1/4 in a 4-prong...how come I couldn't find those yesterday? Weird. I wonder if they're kinda hidden on the website?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 10:34:19 PM
Author: Elmorton
Update: JA studs start at $850, 1/2 ct is smallest option. They DO have a very pretty martini setting though, and the 15% discount is pretty nifty.

I think it says to inquire about other sizes. I am sure they would make you a 1/3.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s great to have all that pricing information in one place! Thank you. I often bounce around from site to site trying to figure it out.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
LOL, even after writing all that down, I''m STILL bouncing around. I sat around for a whole evening making that list, and then I decided I wanted 1/3 ctw and now I''ve spent more time searching around again trying to find the best deal again.

Search is over though - I finally just caved and told DH that while I know that the WF ones are more expensive than the diamondstudsonly.com ones, they''re the quality I want and I don''t want to have doubts about whether we could have done better.

So....now I''m just waiting for June. :)

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to seeing them! Thanks for posting that pricing info too. I already have a pair of .5 ctw studs, but have thought about getting a smaller pair and the WF halos as well.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2008 11:30:11 PM
Thanks for posting, Siamese Kitty! I''m so glad you did, b/c I missed your thread - that shot with the arrows was icing on the cake for me: WF it is. I just haven''t seen anything that seems to match the quality, even if the price is slightly higher than other vendors I''ve found.

Do the baskets sit close to the ear or do they stick out a little to let more light in?

P.S. Your pile of bling is to die for! Wowee :)

ETA: Thanks for the anniversary wishes! Right now, I can''t wait til June just because I''m SOOOOOOO sick of winter - waiting for diamonds is just making it worse, I think! ;-)
Thanks for the compliments, Elmorton!
21.gif

As for the baskets, let me go look...
Ok, yes, they do stick out a little to let the light in. And I have to say, I think the four prongs give my diamonds a little extra size. By the way, I have both the screw backs and friction backs from WF and I definitely prefer the latter.

Oh, and when I ordered my studs I asked Lesley if someone could eyeball the stones so that they matched well/had good symmetry. (I''m way too OCD for my own good
2.gif
.) And I have to say, these earrings really are amazing.

As for winter-no kidding. It hasn''t really snowed down here in TN until today. Darn groundhog.
40.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I knew the minute I posted that I'd made a decision, something would come up!

I contacted GOG, and they said they could do 12 pointers with hearts and arrows in the martini setting for $400.

Does WF always use hearts and arrows in their teensy diamonds? Cuz the H&As that I see posted here all the time are absolutely drool worthy...should I go down a little in size for H&As? I did contact to see what the price difference would be for 16 pointers instead, but no reply yet. What do y'all think?

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I hope I didn''t add to the confusion, Elmorton! The ones from GOG sound lovely, as I''m sure they will be. I think I did ask about having the near-H&A''s effect when I ordered mine from WF. They''re all cut ideally, but perhaps a few don''t have H&A''s? In any case, if the ones from GOG don''t rock your socks when the time comes, I''m sure there is a return policy. I''m curious to see what you come up with!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
No, not at all, Siamese Kitty! You've been so helpful!!! - I'm just confusing myself, haha. I think I'm still leaning WF - I really want the size of the 1/3 ct. Now, if GOG will match WF's price with the H&As, then we'd be talking! I'm going to e-mail WF and see if they use H&As.

ETA: You're just NOW getting snow??? NOT FAIR...we've had 55 inches so far this winter - I haven't seen the grass since early November. I don't even remember what grass looks like.
6.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE: I just went to WF to look at the 1/3 RSG in 4 prong basket...

....and they no longer have them on the website!!

AND, did the prices increase, too?!?!?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
I''m not a happy camper...

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2008 10:02:51 AM
7.gif
I''m not a happy camper...
Oh Elmorton-I''m so sorry! My mom actually had her heart set on a pair for her bday/Mother''s Day present, too, but they''re too high now.
8.gif
Lesley said they can still make them in this carat weight, but that they''re obviously more expensive (due to rise in cost for them). They are beautiful though.

In any case, I hope you can find something equally, if not more, lovely for yourself!
9.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t want to hijack this thread, but I''m considering 1/4 or 1/3 ctw for my daughter for graduation. What do you know about the ERD ones? Their prices seem pretty good.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 9:50:47 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 4/27/2008 9:02:09 PM
Author: cinnamon013
I don''t want to hijack this thread, but I''m considering 1/4 or 1/3 ctw for my daughter for graduation. What do you know about the ERD ones? Their prices seem pretty good.
That''s funny, I was looking at those myself just today. :) I know from reading about them here on PS that they are honest and do wonderful work. I am sure their earrings are nothing less than lovely!!
The color shows to be H-I, and I have some .25 RSG WF''s that are G according to WF. I do think they are very white, but they aren''t over the moon great cut or anything. I''d sure like to hear if anyone has the ERD ones. The ERD price is really good and still less for .3s than WF''s .25s.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your graduation! I just gave my daughter a diamond pendant for her 21st. A number of us diamond-lovin'' mom''s have recently given our daughters diamond studs and diamond pendants for all sorts of celebrations. It''s a lovely gift from your parents and one you''ll treasure. Absolutly appropriate.

You''ll get the prettiest pair, best price and best service from the recommended PS vendors. Hope you find something perfect!

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Diamond_Studs/Four-Prong-Basket--READY-SET-TO-GO_822.htm

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 3:28:34 PM
Author: swingirl
Congratulations on your graduation! I just gave my daughter a diamond pendant for her 21st. A number of us diamond-lovin'' mom''s have recently given our daughters diamond studs and diamond pendants for all sorts of celebrations. It''s a lovely gift from your parents and one you''ll treasure. Absolutly appropriate.

You''ll get the prettiest pair, best price and best service from the recommended PS vendors. Hope you find something perfect!

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Diamond_Studs/Four-Prong-Basket--READY-SET-TO-GO_822.htm
I just ordered the .3 ctw 4 prongs from ERD for her. I''ll see how they compare to my WF ones I wear, which are .25 4 prong ones. Mark said they should ship on Tue or Wed, so I will probably have them by the end of the week. I wanted to go with the bezels, but after talking with Mark, decided against it.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 4:49:59 PM

Date: 4/28/2008 3:58:02 PM

Date: 4/28/2008 3:28:34 PM
Author: swingirl
Congratulations on your graduation! I just gave my daughter a diamond pendant for her 21st. A number of us diamond-lovin' mom's have recently given our daughters diamond studs and diamond pendants for all sorts of celebrations. It's a lovely gift from your parents and one you'll treasure. Absolutly appropriate.

You'll get the prettiest pair, best price and best service from the recommended PS vendors. Hope you find something perfect!

I just ordered the .3 ctw 4 prongs from ERD for her. I'll see how they compare to my WF ones I wear, which are .25 4 prong ones. Mark said they should ship on Tue or Wed, so I will probably have them by the end of the week. I wanted to go with the bezels, but after talking with Mark, decided against it.
How come you decided against it? I really, really... uh.. really want new earrings and sent Steve the linky for ERD.. my bday is in June.. and.. I don't expect them, but I WANT them.
20.gif
I got the impression from Mark that he felt the bezels let less light in on the small stones I was considering (.3 ctw). So I went with his endorsement of the 4 prongs and their sparkliness. I'm not sure I'm completely ok with not getting the bezels since I really wanted them, but I'll definitely see if the 4 prongs from ERD compare to my WF when I get them and let you know. I would assume the stones would be the same for the bezels and if you want bezels, go for it. Since my daughter doesn't have 4 prong, everyone needs those, don't they?

Have you seen the .10 ctw from Tiffany? They are expensive, and I don't think they let a lot of light in as they appear kinda unlively. As the stones get bigger, they do look a bit better, but I wasn't blown away by them.

If you want the bezels, order them! If you aren't blown away, I'm sure you can return them - although I'd check to make sure. FYI, I also think his prices might be going up soon, so you might not want to wait too long.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 5:23:49 PM

Argh. I may just do it anyway.. sigh. I have two sets in my ears.. I need a new smaller set for the upper ones and a *koff* larger for the bottom. Honest to pete though, I really want .80cttw for the bottom ones. Gosh doesn't THAT just sound spoiled? LOL
20.gif

I do agree, the studs are a staple piece. Like a pendant and a nice watch. :)
If you do .3's to make .6 ctw, you could get stones from WF that are cert'd and around $500 each ear (ACA H&A's!!), plus whichever setting you buy. All in all, they'd be around $1200 or so. AND REALLY NICE EARRINGS!

I wanted to do this for her, but then I realized that she would feel really bad if she lost one. She is going off to college and I suppose anything is possible. I feel a lot better giving her $275 ones for now and maybe giving her nicer ones later on.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 5:35:56 PM

True. I could essentially get the .25cttw for the second set and wait it out..
20.gif
and HOPE that I get my bigger earrings at some point.. and then....... jackets.
31.gif
Now you''re talking!!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 5:12:39 PM

Have you seen the .10 ctw from Tiffany? They are expensive, and I don't think they let a lot of light in as they appear kinda unlively. As the stones get bigger, they do look a bit better, but I wasn't blown away by them.

I picked up a pair of the .16 ctw Tiffany ones (but on ebay and for about 1/3 the price!) and mine are pretty sparkly...I actually think based on my ering which is bezeled that the stone looks livelier in a bezel because the metal actually reflects some of the light that the stones shoot off.

I think the things about the tiny tcw earrings is that there is just so much less diamond TO sparkle, so it appears that they aren't as sparkly as their bigger counterparts. Remember that there is a big size difference between stones that are .08 and stones that are .15 or .12. Mine have arrows and sparkle REALLY WELL, especially when they are clean.

JMO though.
1.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 6:16:42 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 4/28/2008 5:12:39 PM

Have you seen the .10 ctw from Tiffany? They are expensive, and I don''t think they let a lot of light in as they appear kinda unlively. As the stones get bigger, they do look a bit better, but I wasn''t blown away by them.

I picked up a pair of the .16 ctw Tiffany ones (but on ebay and for about 1/3 the price!) and mine are pretty sparkly...I actually think based on my ering which is bezeled that the stone looks livelier in a bezel because the metal actually reflects some of the light that the stones shoot off.

I think the things about the tiny tcw earrings is that there is just so much less diamond TO sparkle, so it appears that they aren''t as sparkly as their bigger counterparts. Remember that there is a big size difference between stones that are .08 and stones that are .15 or .12. Mine have arrows and sparkle REALLY WELL, especially when they are clean.

JMO though.
1.gif
I like those Tiffany ones very much, they are just way out of my ballpark price wise. I really wanted to go for the bezels, but at the last minute changed my mind. Oh well. If I get them in and have any remorse, maybe I''ll change to the bezels.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, I didn''t realize this thread had been active!! Awesome!!

Cinnamon, please post pics of your ERDs when you get them, if you don''t mind? I wish there was a macro shot of the WF RSGs compared with the .3s from GOG, ERD, James Allen, etc...I''d like to see if there even IS a noticeable difference in cut (for some reason, my gut instinct is that in the small size, unless the cut is truly bad, there''s not going to be that much of a difference..). While I had my heart set on the WF ones, I really don''t want to spend more than what they were originally asking (what was the jump, btw, if you don''t mind me asking?) and am really more inclined now to order from ERD or GOG, so I''d really be interested in what you think once you receive your order (btw, what an awesome gift!!).

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
the price increase killed my dreams
39.gif
I had been saving for the .50ctw pair, at around $645, and now they are $800!!!! I know metal went up (BTW I noticed today that gold has at least dropped below $900) but that is a BIG increase. Esp. since the diamond prices I heard mostly affected stones about a carat? Anyway, I will have to live vicariously through you ladies. I can''t wait to see some pics!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 3:40:03 PM
Oh my gosh, I didn''t realize this thread had been active!! Awesome!!

Cinnamon, please post pics of your ERDs when you get them, if you don''t mind? I wish there was a macro shot of the WF RSGs compared with the .3s from GOG, ERD, James Allen, etc...I''d like to see if there even IS a noticeable difference in cut (for some reason, my gut instinct is that in the small size, unless the cut is truly bad, there''s not going to be that much of a difference..). While I had my heart set on the WF ones, I really don''t want to spend more than what they were originally asking (what was the jump, btw, if you don''t mind me asking?) and am really more inclined now to order from ERD or GOG, so I''d really be interested in what you think once you receive your order (btw, what an awesome gift!!).
I have .25 ctw from WF! They are 4 prong. I am getting .3 ctw from ERD for my daughter. SO....I wil take pictures of them side by side when I receive them so you can compare.

FYI, ERD''s site for the studs has been down yesterday and today, so I wonder if he is working on changing the pricing since he said he would be soon.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, elmorton, what about these?

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=xs_gb_20_right-3_1BSGU0vEAall-?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=255167011

Amazon has a sell through the end of April on studs. The prices you see on this link will be reduced by 40% when you check out your cart at the end. The platinum 1/4 ctw are listed as G/H, VS clarity and are $499. This means they would be $299.40, which in the scheme of things sounds pretty darn good for platinum, if they are in fact G/H, VS. There is one reviewer that says they are way more sparkly than her other stones, so they might be worth consideration.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 5:44:14 PM

Date: 4/29/2008 4:55:41 PM

I have .25 ctw from WF! They are 4 prong. I am getting .3 ctw from ERD for my daughter. SO....I wil take pictures of them side by side when I receive them so you can compare.

FYI, ERD''s site for the studs has been down yesterday and today, so I wonder if he is working on changing the pricing since he said he would be soon.
I can''t wait to see. Will you please show you .25 for me pretty please?!!
I have some news! Mark called me this morning and said he woke up about 4 in the morning realizing that he had made bezels, and realizing that our conversation had moved to 4 prong. He said he wanted to clarify that I did want 4 prong and he would redo them. I said that no, I''d love to have the bezels at this point. He said if I''m not pleased with them, I can send them back and he will do 4 prong ones. SO, I will likely have them tomorrow! As a result, there will be no battle of the 4 prongs. BUT, there will be a comparison of ERD bezels vs WF 4 prongs, complete with photos!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
elmorton and SDL and everyone else -
I did receive the bezel earrings from ERD and they are VERY nice! A short time after receiving the package, Mark phoned me to find out how I liked them. What great customer service! When I am home tonight, I will take some photos and post them in SMTR.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/1/2008 2:04:02 PM

Are they significant at all size wise? ERD''s site for any of their earrings isn''t working.. WAH!!! I wanted to go back and look..
My WF''s are .25 ctw and the ones I ordered from ERD where listed as .3 ctw and ended up being .34 ctw, so it''s hard to compare them to the other .25s I have. They are definitely larger in size than my .25s. I put them in my ears and checked them out in the bathroom, but the lighting is not so good, so I''ll have to do more comparisons. They are dainty, nice .3s and are larger than those .3s I''ve seen in the mall.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results