shape
carat
color
clarity

Small chip on old loose diamond

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
I have this old ring, but unfortunately the diamond has came out it, happened when my grampa had it, been stored safely ever since. I've noticed it has a small chip on side, should I get that polished out or just put in a different setting? What style is this Stone?

Thankyou! Screenshot_20210418-130040_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210417-141622_Gmail.jpg
image_6483441 (2).JPG
image_6483441.JPG

EC8

Shiny_Rock
It’s an antique cushion cut; very pretty and looks to be a nice sized stone.
It’s hard to see the chip from the face up picture, can you point out where it is?
I’ve only had chips polished out that have a noticeable impact on either the perimeter shape and/or top facets; I’m sure others will chime in shortly with their opinions.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s an antique cushion cut; very pretty and looks to be a nice sized stone.
It’s hard to see the chip from the face up picture, can you point out where it is?
I’ve only had chips polished out that have a noticeable impact on either the perimeter shape and/or top facets; I’m sure others will chime in shortly with their opinions.

It’s at the 5 o’clock position on the first pic. It looks to be a pretty stone.

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
What would you rough guess the carat weight? Going by the measurements I gave ? 1.30 carats? Thanks again

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
What would you rough guess the carat weight? Going by the measurements I gave ? 1.30 carats? Thanks again

Oh gosh I think FAR bigger than that with an 8mm measurement. I'm far from an expert though there are others that could give more input about the size and the chip situation. Tagging @missy @elizat @Spring Day @lovedogs @yssie . I remember a thread of someone who rehabbed a diamond at a place in TX and it came out great; my stone was polished as well bc it had a chip but it is still there (though smaller) bc the vendor didn't want to lose more carat weight in doing so. Since it's loose it may be a good opportunity for you to send to GIA and get more info. Such a nice acquisition. :appl:

EC8

Shiny_Rock
By the formula I use rough guess is around 1.5ct

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It's a pretty stone. If it's 4 mm deep, that is on the shallower side than typically seen with old cut cushions.
With those dimensions, without weighing it, it could come in anywhere from 1.7 ish to 1.9ish would be my guess, if it is actually 4 mm deep.

I would talk to Sako of Cicada Jewelry about it. Are you on instagram? He could walk you through the pros and cons of polishing out the chip. He has done diamond rehab before regularly and he's easy to talk to about your project without feeling you have to commit by asking questions.

His user name is cjd_sako

Here is a stone about your depth, but a bit larger in dimensions.

Based upon that and a few others, I landed on 1.7 to 1.9ish.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Here is a stone about your depth, but a bit larger in dimensions.

Based upon that and a few others, I landed on 1.7 to 1.9ish.

Thanks @elizat guess I was way off :lol: . My 8mm round is 2ct ; my modern radiant cushion is 8x7.2 and it's 3ct; seems I was overestimating.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader it's hard sometimes. It could weigh more! Really just a rough guess.

Another one. Different looking but it's got a similar depth and if we flip the measurements on original stone to the 8.7 x 7.0 instead of 8 x 7.7, it kind of give an idea. I was looking for ones that had a similar overall circumference for a go by. That's what I did on the other as well.

It is totally a rough guess with just the dimensions.

I'd have it weighed though and consider a gia cert after polishing if that's the path taken.

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
@Mreader it's hard sometimes. It could weigh more! Really just a rough guess.

Another one. Different looking but it's got a similar depth and if we flip the measurements on original stone to the 8.7 x 7.0 instead of 8 x 7.7, it kind of give an idea. I was looking for ones that had a similar overall circumference for a go by. That's what I did on the other as well.

It is totally a rough guess with just the dimensions.

I'd have it weighed though and consider a gia cert after polishing if that's the path taken.

How would I go about sending it to Gia ? How long do they usually take? I'm in the UK x

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I used a calculator for an old Euro online. I tested the calculator with three of my stones. It was accurate within .05 mm for oecs.

Granted, this is cushion v old Euro, but this is what I got below.

Screenshot_20210418-113323.png

elizat

Ideal_Rock
How would I go about sending it to Gia ? How long do they usually take? I'm in the UK x

If you are in the UK and don't want to ship the stone outside of the country, you could do EGL. EGL Europe is softer on grading versus GIA. Or, if you just want to wear it and know what you have, and insure it for replacement value, you can get it appraised by someone that knows old cuts. If you are just keeping it, I don't think I'd send to EGL.

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm , I've been thinking about it for a long time. It's hard to find someone near me that deals with these stones. Would it be safe to find one online? Or best find one in person?

Screenshot_20210417-102253_eBay.jpg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
This vendor is in London. They have large crazy impressive things to more modest.

Maybe they have an appraiser or can recommend one.

Ishy Antiques is another vendor you could ask for a recommendation. He may be able to point you in the right direction. Or Butterlane Antiques. They are all vendors but they should know reputable appraisers where you are based, as they are also in the UK.

@lissyflo can you think of anyone you might recommend for appraisal of an old stone in the UK?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo can you think of anyone you might recommend for appraisal of an old stone in the UK?

I bought my only antique stone from JbG. It came with GIA docs so I’ve never used a U.K. appraiser for anything antique. I’d second your rec on Hancock’s and add John Joseph - I haven’t bought from them but they’re very helpful on general enquiries and I remember also seeing others comment positively about them on here. They may be able to give you an in-house opinion if that’s all you need or could probably recommend an appraiser or someone to talk to about dealing with the chip. Both are london based. Butter Lane is Manchester I believe.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh I think FAR bigger than that with an 8mm measurement. I'm far from an expert though there are others that could give more input about the size and the chip situation. Tagging @missy @elizat @Spring Day @lovedogs @yssie . I remember a thread of someone who rehabbed a diamond at a place in TX and it came out great; my stone was polished as well bc it had a chip but it is still there (though smaller) bc the vendor didn't want to lose more carat weight in doing so. Since it's loose it may be a good opportunity for you to send to GIA and get more info. Such a nice acquisition. :appl:

Thanks for tagging me @Mreader. I never got a notification for this.

I would think this stone be somewhere around 2ct. 4mm seems quite shallow though...@elizat has already done a great job at helping. I’m not familiar with the options in the UK.

I’m not certain but is that chip possibly too big and the location too awkward to just polish out? I would have also recommended Sako. He would have been the safest bet but being in the UK, I’m not so sure. People have given you some great advice though.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have done well to keep the stone and the ring safe all these years
i hope it can all be rehabilitated back into a wearable piece with out too much trouble or exspensive
That ring needs to be worn !

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
You have done well to keep the stone and the ring safe all these years
i hope it can all be rehabilitated back into a wearable piece with out too much trouble or exspensive
That ring needs to be worn !

It is a lovely diamond, the chip doesn't look as big in person , I may even get it put in a bezel setting or something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results