carat
color
clarity

Sizing beads - love them or hate them?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luvmysparklies|1376164118|3500377 said:
Yes. I learned about those humps on another forum. Really, just less severe than the balls. The humps were placed say at 4 and 8 o'clock and were like the shape of a rainbow for lack of a better term.

Now I understand exactly what you mean! My old ring only had one larger hump instead of two smaller ones though.

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
I can't comment on sizing beads because I've never had them, but if your ring is just too big and it's not due to a passing fluctuation in finger size, I would resize it. My ering was a quarter size too big and I had it sized down from a 4.5 to a 4.25. It may seem like a small variation to bother doing a full resize (especially since I have pave on the shank), but I'd rather it fit perfectly as is with no beads or bars and no spinning. If I had larger knuckles than my finger or if my ring size changed frequently, I'd definitely consider other sizing options, like a horseshoe sizer, bar or beads. Since it just came a little too big, I had it sized right away.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Katiedid !
Based on this thread, I went ahead and had it done! !!!

I just purchased a wee Van Craeynest band, pre-loved, (THANKS, to LoveInBloom !! :love: :love: :love: )
and although I could get it on my ring finger
(I was surprised, as it's a 6.5) I was in a dilemma about what to do...
I liked it on my pinkie, but it was too loose on there...

So since you brought it up and others chimed in, I took it to a jeweler
and they applied "speed bumps", just like another PS'er mentioned,
one at about 4 oclock and one at 8 oclock.

I LOVE THEM !!!!
I think they look kinda cool, I don't feel them at all, the ring fits perfectly, and if I want to
wear it on my ring finger at some point in time,
i can have them removed and have the ring sized....
for me, this is WIN-WIN !! :appl: :appl: :appl:

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks for the update ooo shiney! I am so ready to go get mine done - I haven't been able to get to that jeweler and am thinking about taking it to one closer by. I'm so glad to hear you like them!

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for the sizing beads :appl: I have them in both my rings now, and I love them to bits. My true ring size would be 4.75 but my jeweller doesn't do half sizes, so sizing beads do the trick (size 4.5 cuts off circulation). I honestly think that I would like them better than wearing a ring in my true size because they create a little more friction and feel nice and snug and comfortable - no matter what the weather or time of year it is! :love:

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going today at lunch time to get the beads! Can't wait and I hope they do the trick. I'll be sure to post an update! Thanks for everyone's comments. :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like just one bead in the middle of the shank

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the beads put in today and they are very comfortable. I honestly don't even feel them. My ring is not tight at all - seems to be just a little more snug. I was a little surprised that it cost $35. I could have had it done for free at the jeweler where I bought the ring, but it takes a while to drive there and I was trying to combine some errands.

One thing I noticed once I was back in my office... the ring looked darker - like the gold of the ring looked darker, not as bright. I called the jeweler and they said that when they added the beads, they re-rhodium plated the ring (which I know is standard when you have a gold ring sized or worked on). He said it should brighten up over the next few days. That doesn't make sense to me. I thought rhodium plating made gold brighter, whiter, shinier. Not darker?? I came home and cleaned the ring really well with a polishing cloth and jewelry cleaner. It looks a little brighter maybe, but still not as shiny.

Is the jeweler BS'ing me? Will it brighten up? I feel like this kind of thing always happens to me when I have repairs made... very annoyed right now.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh NO !!!!
First of all, Happy that you love the bead !!!
I agree with you, snug without being tight :)) (and I paid more for my Speed Bumps...)

But sad that your ring isn't bright and shiney !!!! :((
they shined my ring up amazing, it looks beautiful.
That shouldn't have happened to yours !!! :shock:

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ooo~shiney! I am so disappointed. I had my husband take it with him this morning, as his office is near the jeweler we got the ring from. He's going to ask them to re dip it. I hope that will bring it back to the way it looked when I got it.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring is back - bright and shiny like before! Hopefully the sizing beads will make it snug enough. So far, I'm really liking them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results