shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing beads - love them or hate them?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you needed to size a ring down 1/4 to 1/2 size, would you go with sizing beads or actually resizing the ring?

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
I have large knuckles on my RH, so all my rings require sizing beads. I love them and think that is a good way to go for just a 1/4 size difference--plus when it is summer, it allows a little extra room for swelling.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
I have them in a couple of my rings and I love them. I have very thin fingers and larger knuckles. If I get the ring small enough to not roll around on my finger, I can't get it over my knuckle. Just works great for me!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried them in two of my rings and they hurt like hell! I'd definitely have my rings resized.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them. I have it in an eternity band I couldn't resize and they are super comfie for me.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting feedback - thank you all! Keep the comments coming!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like sizing beads. When I've tried on rings with beads they look like they don't really fit my finger really well. If I came across, say, a french cut eternity band that was to die for and a size too big, I'd consider maybe the horseshoe thing.

But if sizeable, I'd always just size it down, personally. :))

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're a great option, especially for people like me whose weight fluctuates often and easily, and has the genetic predisposition of getting rheumatoid arthritis. :wavey:

But if you're skinny, always skinny, don't suffer from bloating/unbloating due to weather, salty foods, or weight gain… permanently size them!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them, and I have almost no other option...I have huge knuckles compared to my ring size, and I cannot wear gold at all. Most options besides platinum beads are only available in gold and the other other options in platinum are not really practical or pretty or at all workable with a narrow ring. I have never had an issue with pain, even on my most swollen day. I barely feel them.

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would resize if at all possible. Sizing beads look and feel awkward. I like the band to sit flush against my skin without feeling those beads.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, 6 votes for beads, 4 votes for resizing. I just read about people melting hot wax from a candle into the inside of their rings to size it themselves. Interesting concept, although I imagine the wax would get warm up against your skin and start to melt or get mushy. I know I don't want the horseshow sizing band thing.

I see people with larger knuckles say beads are the way to go. But my knuckles aren't bigger than my fingers so I'm just not sure. The ring is top heavy and my hands are cold when I'm inside, so the ring is spinning sideways constantly. I'm thinking in the winter, it will be even worse!

The ring has engraving on the sides, but there is a small plain section at the bottom for sizing. I'm just afraid of permanently sizing it smaller! Oh what to do, what to do...

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also has milgrain and some small diamonds on the shank (near the top). Here is a photo of the little sizing bar and you can also see the detail on the shank.

_8669.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignore that JaneWinslet person. I have a feeling it's just a spammer. Sizing beads bc someone likes beads? Doesn't make sense. LOL

I still think adding beads is the way to go. It'll add weight to the bottom and maybe help with spinning. And if you don't like it, then get it resized. It's harder to resize it then change your mind.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally did not mean to count that spammer! Good point about beads being easier to remove if i don't like them. Thanks-i think i'll see about doing that next week.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katiedid|1376080415|3499911 said:
Good point about beads being easier to remove if i don't like them. Thanks-i think i'll see about doing that next week.

Also what's good about them is that they allow for flexibility if that makes any sense. Meaning that it accommodates a range of fluctuation as my fingers swell in the heat and shrink in the cold. I can fluctuate quite a bit (I have Raynauds and arthritis) and the sizing beads keep the ring fitting well no matter. I think I have the smallest sizing beads they offer (in platinum) and it took the ring down about 3/4 of a size approximately.

_8673.jpg

_8674.jpg

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks missy! I only need to go down 1/4 to 1/2 size. Hopefully the beads can be made small enough to work.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a real strong opinion about them- it is one of those "it depends" issues for me.
Is this a ring that is going to be worn frequently? Or just occasionally?
It is going to be worn alone, with another ring or in a stack?

If it was a ring I was going to wear a lot I would probably have it sized, but if it was a ring I was only going to wear for special occasions I would go w/ the beads if they are "easier."

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
They only have bothered me when the jeweler didn't space them wide enough apart. When I would grip something with my hand, they would dig in to the bottom of my finger. I have them in my band (which is pretty thick too) and they still don't bother me. They helped keep it from turning. If I had normal sized knuckles (which I don't), I would have it sized. Then, my preference would be the horseshoe, then beads. All are good options. :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Something else to consider is that when you wear a wedding band with that ring, it will fit snugger.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1/4 size is a very small amount to go down. I would only size down if you needed a 1/2 size or more.

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
Love them. Mine are super comfy and stop my rings from spinning around.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
My ering kept flipping to one side but couldn't be made smaller because on my knuckle. They put only one sizing bead in the center and it seems to do the trick. Two would have made it harder to get off. It doesn't bother me at all. :)

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the input! This is a ring that I'll wear on my right hand, alone (no other band with it) and hope to wear frequently. Maybe not every single day, but most days. I am thinking it's a 1/4 size too big right now, but it's a little top heavy since the setting sits higher on top with a sapphire in it, so it is spinning to the sides of my finger. I'll attach a photo so you can see the type of ring. You may have already seen my posts about it!

_8690.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of round beads I have a flat bar in one of my rings.

_8702.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Different view

_8703.jpg

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay - that's a good idea! Is it comfortable?

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
As an alternative, I was going to suggest sizing "humps" (like a speed bump) to cut down on digging.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katiedid|1376160158|3500349 said:
DeeJay - that's a good idea! Is it comfortable?

I don't notice it at all and it does help with the top heavy problem.

In a different ring I had a "hump" (I think in the nature of what luvmysparklies is talking about), but I had it removed because it bugged me. So, instead of following the line of the ring, it "humped" in a "U" toward the stones (if that makes any sense).

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. I learned about those humps on another forum. Really, just less severe than the balls. The humps were placed say at 4 and 8 o'clock and were like the shape of a rainbow for lack of a better term.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results