shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing a diamond ring

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys,

I found the ring that I love but they have it in size 6.5. My ring size is 5.25. It’s a split shank. Is it safe to have the ring resized to my finger size? Is it dangerous for the diamonds to be loose in the future?

Thanks

headlight

Ideal_Rock
To me that is too great a size differential. Want to hear what others think, but I would be very hesitant. Did you speak to a jeweler about it?

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
He said it was doable.. but then again, he is the one selling..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

headlight

Ideal_Rock
There was a thread here recently about someone whose mounting was much larger than her ring size and so the ring was "out of round" and a little "off center" when sized down to such a degree.
If you can possibly find something else, I would honestly suggest it. I don't know if you want this particular mounting because it is a good deal but really in jewelry there are no deals. The other poster I am referring to... her boyfriend thought he was also getting a deal, but as it turns out it has just been problematic and has created much grief and heartache. Better to get it right from the start, even if it means spending a little more money now, than to be "chasing" a problem or dissatisfaction with the completed piece forever... especially when we are talking about something as important as an e-ring. If it isn't because there is a deal on this particular mounting, then have them order it in for your size or custom make it, or fight it from another source.

With Clarity

Rough_Rock
Trade
Do you happen to have a picture of the setting? 1.25 is doable as a resize, but you need to make sure you're not stretching the prongs too far apart when cutting and rebinding the ring. That can loosen the stones and cause the diamonds to start falling out. Also, larger resizes can thin metal depending on how much re-polishing is required. Again, it is often doable (so your jeweler may be right, given his/her experience), but you want to make sure. Please share a photo if possible!

Thanks,
Alex

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A picture would be helpful. Most rings are designed to be sizable but it's all about the details. Have you asked the maker?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there are diamonds on the shank, it would be a definite no for me.

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
3907497D-5B18-4ABF-8F8D-60C5CFAC1248.jpeg

There are diamonds on the shank. I looked everywhere else to find this exact ring, and found nothing. It is in Ny, diamond row, it’s not a deal, nor is it overpriced, it’s just the only one I fell in love with..My plan B would be to have it made from my jeweller in my city but having it made does mean I will be getting exactly the one on the picture.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only let your jeweler make it if you can see examples of ones they have made. Many people here use David Klass for settings like that. I'd consider using a proven ring maker rather than experimenting. You need to have the ring made to fit your finger and your stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a stone that fits the setting exactly? If not, then resizing it won't help since your stone won't fit anyway. I would get it made by David klass. It isn't a super hard design to do, and I feel like Gabriel NY has styles like that.

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a stone that fits the setting exactly? If not, then resizing it won't help since your stone won't fit anyway. I would get it made by David klass. It isn't a super hard design to do, and I feel like Gabriel NY has styles like that.

Is this on Diamond row? I will look into David Klass as well:)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this on Diamond row? I will look into David Kyla’s as well:)
Nope, David Klass is in LA. You could also reach out to ID jewelry in NYC to see if they have anything like that.

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
Nope, David Klass is in LA. You could also reach out to ID jewelry in NYC to see if they have anything like that.

I did got here and nothing came close..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results