shape
carat
color
clarity

Six trades, seven stones later. . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and here I am posting on PS! I have been a long time lurker and am now coming out of the closet. A big hello to all of you - I feel like I know so many of you although you don''t know me! I have been tuning in for a couple of years now and have finally taken some pictures to show. I tried this once before; I had to resize the pics so don''t know how good they will come out. This digital camera is not an up to date version so bear with me.

My diamond story started 28 years ago - actually 29 years ago when I first got engaged - with a .75 carat stone. I can''t begin to tell you how much diamond purchasing has changed in all of those years. My husband was presented with a bag of stones from a very reputable jeweler - all the same size and laid out to pick from! I had a certificate that said .75 carat stone, color good, clarity good. That''s it! I wore that stone for ten years and one day noticed how yellow it was when comparing it to my SIL''s rings. I traded it with a wholesaler who said he thought it was ''coated'' with household cleaning products. I would love to have that stone now to have a good acid bath and steam cleaning. It was probably in all actuality not that yellow. Thus the saga began. I traded several times - always trying to achieve a ''sparkle'' that I now know is constituted only by cut. No one ever told me about cut. I just thought that better color and clarity would get me where I wanted to go. Some trades were for that - some trades were just for size. I now know that I had a fisheye stone and one really deep stone. Just didn''t look quite right - although I didn''t know why. They were pretty - always had lots of compliments - but I knew something was missing.

I contacted Zed Mervis of Mervis Diamond and he agreed to look at the stone I had then - 1.82 - with a view toward trading it. When we met, he told me that the diamond didn''t represent the type of ''cut'' that they sold. HELLO! Bells ringing - never heard of such a thing! When compared with what he had, I saw immediately what he was talking about - and his stones at that time - were more 60/60 stones. I traded for a 2.01 H SI1 stone - beautiful! I went back a couple of years later to upgrade my mounting. Looked at some ''ideal'' cut stones - different but not worth the trade - so I thought. OF COURSE, I eventually went back to take a second look at those ''ideal'' cut stones. I again traded for a 2.03 ct. stone, G color, SI1. Even though we all know that a well cut stone can look bigger, it just didn''t to me. The precise pattern as opposed to the scattered look of a 60/60 stone to me looked smaller. The eye was just drawn in to a more compact pattern. I eventually went back after seeing this 2.22 AGS0 stone on his website. This stone was eyeclean - the table area had no inclusions which I really liked. No more staring trying to find the inclusions! I was just enough bigger for me to feel that I had recaptured the size I always wanted. This stone is a G color, SI1 clarity. It measures 8.46 x 8.49 x 5.14. The depth is 60.7, the table 57, the crown 34, and the pavillion 40.9. The mounting is by PrecisionSet with two side diamonds totalling .66. The band is a Tiffany etoile - all in 18 kt. yellow gold.

After many years of anguish and heartache over trying to find the most ''sparkling'' stone, I can tell you how fortunate you are today to have so much information at your fingertips. I even wrote to a few appraisers and vendors here on PS to run the stats by them. Couldn''t get anyone to say anything negative - one person said the only thing wrong with it was that he wasn''t selling it to me! I could have certainly gotten a better price from online vendors but after having so much invested in my stone, I had to return to Mervis. They have always treated me fairly and were a godsend for me. After awhile, the money doesn''t mean as much as the peace of mind does. Some things you just have to bite the bullet and pay for - they don''t give them away!!!

Thanks for reading and thanks for looking. So many times I have put fingers to keyboard to respond to a post but oops - not registered. Registered but no pics - so here I am at last. I just hope these pictures attach in a way that can be viewed. Again, many thanks for the many hours I have enjoyed reading and learning - you are all very dear to me!

OutsidewithBand.JPG

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
YAY! Your choice is AWESOME!
30.gif
G Si1 is an awesome combo! Very white and clean. Enjoy!
36.gif
9.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chloexmxarrows7.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

InsideLook.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Flower7Power.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another

ring2onhand.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another. . .

Inside5Look.JPG

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Well, it''s about darn time, my friend.
36.gif
You have a lot to contribute to this forum, and I''m so glad you are finally posting.

Having admired MissGotRocks'' ring in person, I can tell you all that it''s simply perfection.
30.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

welcome...i''m glad that you decided to join us! your experience will help many others in the same situation.

wow! what a beauty
18.gif

you did great with the upgrade
36.gif

now let''s see some more pics!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome - it''s FABULOUS
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t get the rest to upload - I will try to take some more. A big hello and thanks to DiamondLil for prodding me into doing this - she''s been very patient with me!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for sharing the story ! And the pictures ! The ring is wonderful and looks great on you - it is easy to see what you meant by findig the ''right size''. This is it - perfect for your hand, IMO. Would you mind writing down the size of the ring ?
3.gif

Congratulations for the happy end of the ring saga.
36.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Ring size please.
9.gif
10.gif

Rube

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful, icy ring! It looks like it was made for you. (which I guess it was
9.gif
)

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks: welcome to PS and thank you for sharing your experience and pictures with us!
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That is fantastic! Your set looks great on your hand.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 10:01:51 AM
Author: Jennifer5973
Ring size please.
9.gif
10.gif

ditto...

that stone looks Huge on your finger and it just Gorgeous
30.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring size is 5.5 - here''s another pic

Up8Close.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A profile shot. . .

Profile77Preview.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many thanks for your kind responses and warm welcome . . . it feels good to be here!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good for you--and great ring too!!!

cheers--Sharon

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
It''s absolutely stunning!! Wow, it''s so big and white and sparkly!! Thanks for sharing your story with us and congratulations on a really beautiful ring!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, my goodness....your ring is absolutely stunning!

SO GLAD you finally decided to come out of hiding! Welcome!

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
All I can say is WOW!!!!! Diamondlil did tell me about you and am so glad you decided to join us!!!!!! Your ring is just fabulous!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
BEAUTIFUL ring...thanks for sharing!
9.gif
30.gif
9.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! its huge! gah I want it! Its very beautiful!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
WOW! That stone is well worth the 29 year wait! SO big, sparkly and gorgeous. Congrats on your purchase
36.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely stone! Wear it in the best of health!!
36.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!
35.gif

Yes, I''d say you certainly got it right this time!
9.gif

Your ring is beautiful.
30.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Holy guacamole that thing is HUGE!!!!
6.gif

wow, I''m impressed, it looks like it was well worth the wait! Congratulations!!!!
30.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results