shape
carat
color
clarity

Single claw prongs vs. double

Funion

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.61 AVC that I'm thinking of have set with baguette or bullet side stones. While I love the look of single claw prongs for the main stone, I thought I read somewhere that it is safer to have cushion cut stones set with double prongs. Is this true? I find myself very sensitive to double prongs (but not against them if done well) because many times it seems as if they are too big and stick out too far from the stone for my likings. Do any PS vendors do smaller double prongs?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hi!

I have double claw prongs on my 1 ct cushion and they are absolutely fine. Cant help you re which jeweler to choose but I would strongly advise you to ask for examples made by a potential vendor to make sure you get the type of prongs you want.

Re the safety issue: From what I understand using single prongs for a cushion (with rounded corners like the avc) may be absolutely fine as long as the prongs are large enough and/or the setting holds the stone securely in place on the girdle/pavilion, for example using a parallell bar in the setting. This may be a great place for dirt to stick though. With a double prong setting this is usually not necessary as the prongs will normally hold the stone in place on their own.

The reason four small single prongs wont work well is because the rounded corners are the widest parts of the stone. One smack and the stone will come loose. Four small prongs work fine with a rb because the stone can spinn and still be held on the widest parts of the stone, if you get what I mean. :twirl:

I had the same issues as you when I got my cushion. Not a huge fan of double prongs but now that I have them I have to say they compliment the shape of the stone better than single claws, imo.

Hope this helps :wavey:

edited to add: I think it may be easier with four singre claws if the cushion is not perfectly square...

Funion

Rough_Rock
Thanks aca! That totally makes sense, I think I am leaning towards double prongs after everything I have been reading. They seem to compliment the rectangular, antique shape well too. Just gotta find the right vendor!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SingleStone does absolutely tiny double prongs. Victor's are sharp but may stick out more than you like if you are sensitive about that. I've seen Leon's only in pictures and they look quite perfect. Steven Kirsch looks small and perfect too.

Funion

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input LLJsmom, I have already checked a few of these out, but will research the rest. Do you have any favorites?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Double prongs are better for cushions. But you have to make sure you are having the right bench doing them.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon Mege has set my elobgated Paraiba with double claws. According to him this option was safer for my stone. The prongs are strong yet very delicate and subtle.
Victor makes gorgeous claws as well, but in my case it was for larger stones. The are very elegant but more robust compared to Leon's claws.

_4146.jpeg

DukeFB04

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1465798694|4043482 said:
Double prongs are better for cushions. But you have to make sure you are having the right bench doing them.

Can you give an idea of what the proper bench or benches might be? I really like the double-claw and have been looking around for the right person to set a modern antique cut cushion in the 2.2 - 2.4 range. As of now I am beginning my research on Steven Kirsh, Victor Canera, and Leon. Any opinions?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness, I love double claw prongs on cushions and step cut corners! Victor, Steven, and Caysie van Bebber all do very delicate prongs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DukeFB04|1465831825|4043560 said:

Can you give an idea of what the proper bench or benches might be? I really like the double-claw and have been looking around for the right person to set a modern antique cut cushion in the 2.2 - 2.4 range. As of now I am beginning my research on Steven Kirsh, Victor Canera, and Leon. Any opinions?

Victor and Steven, definitely!

Funion

Rough_Rock
Beautiful Acinom!
Thanks everyone for all the great info. Will VC work on AVCs?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DukeFB04|1465831825|4043560 said:

All of those can do perfect prongs. I would personally use Steven or Victor over Leon. You can research old threads to see about people's past experiences with all of them.

Brilliantly Engaged can also do them.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Funion|1465854459|4043654 said:
Beautiful Acinom!
Thanks everyone for all the great info. Will VC work on AVCs?

No he will not

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results