shape
carat
color
clarity

Singapore Jewellery & Gem Fair 2013

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
And then I shamelessly asked for permission to take pics to share eye candy with you ladies. :lol:

img_9135.jpg

img_9136.jpg

img_9137.jpg

img_9138.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for posting the pictures and telling about your pearl jaunt.

Love the eye candy. :love: :love: :love: I am surprised at first about the the pictures with hanging necklaces that attract tai-tai types. I didn't think they are into tin-cup or station necklaces. But a closer look showed that they are interspersed with diamond beads. Figure.

BTW I had guessed you'd pick the bluish pearl. All those beauty contestant shots are so cute, lots of character too. One year I saw a pendant at Margo Pearl that is the exact shape of an apple. I still kick myself for not getting it.

I wish you had taken close-up pix of the abalone pearls.

That is pearl heaven. Never been to a show like that. The local gem and jewelry show in my local town is such a disappointment. I couldn't go to the wholesale area. The section open to the public is over-priced or mostly beading-quality hanks.

PS: img 9090. The conch pearl pendant has quite a chatoyance. Too bad it doesn't have pinkish color but a rather pale white or off-white.

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
:o *hyperventilating*

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I guessed the blue, too!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
And more...

And then it was the walk of shame back to the Golay booth to tell Mr Panos (who soooo patiently sat thru all the pendants picking process with me and so I felt super bad about it) that I was an unfaithful and fell in love with another pearl. Sigh. He took it quite well I must say, but I really feel bad about it. :(( :blackeye:

And then just as I left the Golay booth I spotted this nice graduated strand. Very small, but nice.

That's about it. I am trying not to go again altho the Fair runs for the next 2 days (last day on Tue). Such fairs are really bad for my wallet LOL. Tho still spent much lesser than hubby expected (he thought I'll spend over SGD10k, haha, he is such a sweetheart really).

Hope you ladies enjoyed going to the Fair with me! :lol:

And I guess next year, you ladies may wanna think about joining me for a shopping spree? :lol:
Dates if you need to book a holiday:

img_9143.jpg

img_9144.jpg

img_9145.jpg

img_9134.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1381678154|3536933 said:
Oki, so back at Eiko. = _10847.jpg

@Fly Girl: Yes, indeed, that pearl captivated me. I kinda guessed I was a lost cause when I saw it and basically just fell in love right?

so it was the bluish SSP pendant that went home with me. IRL, it looks bluish-pink? Honestly as I am typing this and looking at the Andy Muller SSP I am like :errrr: :confused: :???:

Arrived home too late for beauty shots, so maybe more later this week...

Yes! [Does fist pump into air.] I have no doubt that you chose correctly. The others are quite awesome, but that bluish luster is amazing. And, I can definitely see the pink overtones your solo shot. I can't wait for neck shots. Wow! What a gorgeous pearl.

All in all, well done, icy_jade, and thank you so very much for your report. :appl: :appl: :appl:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Icy -- thanks for the terrific report and pictures! I'm glad you chose that blue pearl.

Believe it or not, I just marked my calendar for your next exhibit. Why not? One can dream. It starts on a Thursday. Maybe we could start pearl shopping in the morning and have lunch together...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
YC|1381672253|3536867 said:
That Mitsushima SSP - what colour is that ? Looks a bit greenish silver. Very unusual colour.

@YC: Oh, we missed each other then. I was probably wandering the halls at that time. Or did you see me seated inside intensely sorting pearl pendants and taking photos? :lol:

I have no idea what the colour is. The nice japanese sales/boss (?) told me it's SSP, not tahitian. Very unusual and so I took a few photos. Think it's a really unusual golden SSP with greenish colour? Really really unique.

HHPmom said:
Thank you so much for posting the pictures and telling about your pearl jaunt.

Love the eye candy. :love: :love: :love: I am surprised at first about the the pictures with hanging necklaces that attract tai-tai types. I didn't think they are into tin-cup or station necklaces. But a closer look showed that they are interspersed with diamond beads. Figure.

BTW I had guessed you'd pick the bluish pearl. All those beauty contestant shots are so cute, lots of character too. One year I saw a pendant at Margo Pearl that is the exact shape of an apple. I still kick myself for not getting it.

I wish you had taken close-up pix of the abalone pearls.

That is pearl heaven. Never been to a show like that. The local gem and jewelry show in my local town is such a disappointment. I couldn't go to the wholesale area. The section open to the public is over-priced or mostly beading-quality hanks.

PS: img 9090. The conch pearl pendant has quite a chatoyance. Too bad it doesn't have pinkish color but a rather pale white or off-white.

@HHPmom: Oh, they are not diamond beads. WG beads with faceted surface? Sorta gaudy but very attractive, was really tempted to get one cos some of the designs are really nice, and very unusual. Some strands can be worn multiple ways, so clever! But with gold prices being what they are, I think I will put my money in the wSSP strand fund for now. :D

Erm, IRL the abalone pearls were so-so. Honestly. The bigger ones were odd shaped and the smaller ones are so small. Ok, or maybe I just dunno how to appreciate them. :cheeky:

Singapore gets 2 major shows a year, once in July and then in Oct. Am going to find out if there are more cos how on earth can I wait so long between shows (Oct to July is like FOREVER)? Or maybe I need to go to the Hong Kong one in March... hmm.

Honestly fairly high-end. Obviously meant to attract the rich crowd. Not a single stall with a good selection of freshies, can you imagine?

jenncent said:
:o *hyperventilating*
LOL!!

bsomlo said:
I guessed the blue, too!
Oops, I am so predictable huh?

Hey, wanna hear what you ladies think of the blue vs the Golay/Andy Muller one. Honest opinions pls! It's ok if you prefer the one I didn't get, I just want to know what you honestly think and perhaps learn from the process.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1381678154|3536933 said:
BUT, it's always a rather emotional decision whenever I buy jewellery, and I've learnt to trust my instincts, so it was the bluish SSP pendant that went home with me. IRL, it looks bluish-pink? I hesitated cos I read before that bluish overtones on wSSPs are less desirable?

Honestly as I am typing this and looking at the Andy Muller SSP I am like :errrr: :confused: :???:

But... just have to let go. Sigh.

All three pendants were beautiful, so I don't think you could have chosen wrong with any of them. Your blue/pink wSS pendant is gorgeous and you were right to trust your instincts and go with the emotional pick :praise: My wSS baroque pearls have subtle blue/pink overtones and I think they are extraordinarily pretty :wink2: You can get your tomboy/lady pendants at the next show or you can always have your new gSS pearl set like one of those.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1381679650|3536952 said:
Yes! [Does fist pump into air.] I have no doubt that you chose correctly. The others are quite awesome, but that bluish luster is amazing. And, I can definitely see the pink overtones your solo shot. I can't wait for neck shots. Wow! What a gorgeous pearl.

All in all, well done, icy_jade, and thank you so very much for your report. :appl: :appl: :appl:

@Fly Girl: Thanks! I'll try to take some good beauty shots of the harvest strand and the SSP pendant this weekend. I knew my photography practice would come in useful, haha.

bsomlo said:
Icy -- thanks for the terrific report and pictures! I'm glad you chose that blue pearl.

Believe it or not, I just marked my calendar for your next exhibit. Why not? One can dream. It starts on a Thursday. Maybe we could start pearl shopping in the morning and have lunch together...

@bsomlo: Oh, you are coming over in Oct? Or do you mean the July one?
Gosh, we should organise a pearl spree and bargain for a group price. :tongue:

Actually, have to warn you that when I shop I am super hardcore. I have b'fast, skip lunch, have a coffee break (cos I am a coffee addict), and then continue shopping until evening or when my legs give way. I literally forget to get hungry when I shop! :errrr:

-------------------------
I wanna say so my FINAL loot is a 'harvest strand' of mixed Tahitians, loose pearls for a tahitian drop earrings, loose pair for tahitian stud earrings, golden SSP drops for earrings, golden oval SSP for pendant and a wSSP pendant, BUT... who knows what will happen in the next 2 days ya? :Up_to_something:

Ok, I should probably try to be good. Really really want a nice silver SSP and natural white akoya triple... :lickout:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek|1381680872|3536962 said:
All three pendants were beautiful, so I don't think you could have chosen wrong with any of them. Your blue/pink wSS pendant is gorgeous and you were right to trust your instincts and go with the emotional pick :praise: My wSS baroque pearls have subtle blue/pink overtones and I think they are extraordinarily pretty :wink2: You can get your tomboy/lady pendants at the next show or you can always have your new gSS pearl set like one of those.

Thanks LitGeek! You are right, my search for a 'fall in love' tomboy pendant will continue!
The next challenge is to find matching earrings! But, again the chase is half the fun ya? At least at the next show I have a few good targets to search for rather than to wander around aimlessly!

Mmm... anyone who is in Singapore and reading this, I am happy for the pendants to go to a good home. Pls look for Mr Panos at the Golay booth and show him the pics. He'll know which ones. Also, he is bringing in the nice Andy Muller wire necklace so you can also go home with the choker to match the tomboy if that is what you like.

If the 'lady' catches your fancy, you can get a matching gold necklaces (that are adjustable, how great is that) at the Aurora Trading (booth 627).

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I was talking October. I also MUST have coffee -- warning, I am a coffee snob, as well as addict...

You can skip lunch. I'll meet up with you after I've had mine... (must try all foods while travelling!).

Oooh -- fun to dream about this...!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1381680423|3536960 said:
YC|1381672253|3536867 said:
Hey, wanna hear what you ladies think of the blue vs the Golay/Andy Muller one. Honest opinions pls! It's ok if you prefer the one I didn't get, I just want to know what you honestly think and perhaps learn from the process.

It depends on your style. I don't know how you dress on the weekends, but the pearls you purchased so far have been nice, for work, can be dressed down casually, but not overly casual. The tomboy tahitian is extremely casual with the bold gold setting, which matches nicely with the pearl size. Shape wise I don't think those Andy Mueller are extraordinary. The shapes that usually catch my eyes are the ones that look like real life objects (bowling pin, apple, pear). Correction: luster is very nice. Just looked at pictures again, but the colors aren't special. Did you try the pastel green on your skin? Some pastel Tahitians can be pretty wash out on Asian skin.

I would have picked the bluish pearl too. It looks extremely shiny with smooth surface. I like smooth surface pearls except for circle Tahitians. Besides its overtone is different than most others.

Ok, I started writing a lot but then deleted them. Just too opinionated when I pick my pearls, and other accessories.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Since I was there, yes- I should add that it was geared to the higher end crowd. There was only 1 (!) store with freshwater pearls and I thought they were expensive for what they were.

And Icy, didn't you eat at the small shop in the convention hall? D: The food prices are nowhere near "reasonable", but its not THAT expensive for MBS...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1381681942|3536968 said:
I was talking October. I also MUST have coffee -- warning, I am a coffee snob, as well as addict...

You can skip lunch. I'll meet up with you after I've had mine... (must try all foods while travelling!).

Oooh -- fun to dream about this...!

You are serious ya? Cos you know I'll be there... :naughty:
You, me and Michelle can have a date together.

HHPmom said:
It depends on your style. I don't know how you dress on the weekends, but the pearls you purchased so far have been nice, for work, can be dressed down casually, but not overly casual. The tomboy tahitian is extremely casual with the bold gold setting, which matches nicely with the pearl size. Shape wise I don't think those Andy Mueller are extraordinary. The shapes that usually catch my eyes are the ones that look like real life objects (bowling pin, apple, pear). Luster is good, but the colors aren't special. Did you try the pastel green on your skin? Some pastel Tahitians can be pretty wash out on Asian skin.

I would have picked the bluish pearl too. It looks extremely shiny with smooth surface. I like smooth surface pearls except for circle Tahitians. Besides its overtone is different than most others.

Ok, I started writing a lot but then deleted them. Just too opinionated when I pick my pearls, and other accessories.

Colours... to be honest I hate that the dark tahitians look yucky on me cos I really love darks. So the only ones that popped were the lighter shades. Their lustre and some of the colours are really good. Maybe can't tell from pics but the colours on the rainbowish pendant (with wSSP) is TDF.

The bluish-pink wSSP has intense mirror lustre. Think that's what first attracted me. Superbly good lustre.

And don't worry about being opinionated. We all are in our own way cos we are all so passionate about our pearls right? :lol:

michellechan2211 said:
Since I was there, yes- I should add that it was geared to the higher end crowd. There was only 1 (!) store with freshwater pearls and I thought they were expensive for what they were.

And Icy, didn't you eat at the small shop in the convention hall? D: The food prices are nowhere near "reasonable", but its not THAT expensive for MBS...

No... I don't feel like eating when I am busy shopping. Shopping is higher priority. I usually wanna collapse after such shopping trips. I am VERY hardcore/crazy that way. :shock:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
the natural akoyas and the conch pearls.....oh my. I want to just curl into a ball. So. Much. Beauty.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Icy Jade, that long rope with which is a bit ombre which u saw at Golay on your way out, that is 6-7 mm baby tahitian. I tried them and decided they were a little small and a bit pricy given their size

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade - I know that your round golden earring pair is out there. I picked up this round golden pair from PearlLunar on eBay earlier this year. They generally only have Chinese freshwater, but last March they happened to have two pair of small goldens, which I was looking for to make into studs. This pair has the red overtones like your pearls. They are pictured here with my golden ring, which has green overtones. Same dark golden color, but quite different overtones.

They are so pretty in person. I know you will love your goldens. Such special pearls. :wavey:

goldenpair_4840.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
mrs taylor|1381689621|3537038 said:
the natural akoyas and the conch pearls.....oh my. I want to just curl into a ball. So. Much. Beauty.

I cannot stop thinking about the natural white akoyas. Sigh. So beautiful...
Those are 9-9.5 I think. Maybe if I go for a 8-8.5 triple it'll be much more affordable??

YC said:
Icy Jade, that long rope with which is a bit ombre which u saw at Golay on your way out, that is 6-7 mm baby tahitian. I tried them and decided they were a little small and a bit pricy given their size

Oh, thanks for the specs! Was attracted by the good colour graduation and excellent lustre.

Fly Girl said:
icy_jade - I know that your round golden earring pair is out there. I picked up this round golden pair from PearlLunar on eBay earlier this year. They generally only have Chinese freshwater, but last March they happened to have two pair of small goldens, which I was looking for to make into studs. This pair has the red overtones like your pearls. They are pictured here with my golden ring, which has green overtones. Same dark golden color, but quite different overtones.

They are so pretty in person. I know you will love your goldens. Such special pearls. :wavey:

I know right? They are so pretty in person. I really love my golden pearl. My colleagues just saw it this morning and said that my photos absolutely do no justice to the pearl. :tongue:

They saw the photos and thought the pearl was so-so. IRL they admit it's really something special.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that bluish SS pendant is absolutely fabulous..the mirror luster on that is amazing! I'd snap that one up over the others in a minute!

You provided some wonderful photos, thanks so much, I kept going back and forth between the pages. Lovely time !

As for you triple strands..wait and get exactly what you want.

That red/gold pearl is amazing..love love love the colour. I'm generally not been a fan of the gold pearls as the colour doesn't really suit me .. but I've never tried the red/gold ... not sure I've even really seen one as I tend to ignore the golds. Now I'm going to have to check them out next time I'm at a show to sooth my curiosity.

You bought very well imho :appl:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Icy Jade, I think I saw you. You were sitting with Mr Panos inside the booth and I noticed you were handling a baroque white SSP. Did not notice that you were taking photos. :wavey: I was the one dressed in blue (not sure if you noticed) and hovering for quite a while at the Tahitian section. Actually, the Tahitians were the only pearls I looked at.

Your choice of SSP is good. Blue overtones for white SSP is not that common and usually baroque.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
katbran|1381741235|3537379 said:
I think that bluish SS pendant is absolutely fabulous..the mirror luster on that is amazing! I'd snap that one up over the others in a minute!

You provided some wonderful photos, thanks so much, I kept going back and forth between the pages. Lovely time !

As for you triple strands..wait and get exactly what you want.

That red/gold pearl is amazing..love love love the colour. I'm generally not been a fan of the gold pearls as the colour doesn't really suit me .. but I've never tried the red/gold ... not sure I've even really seen one as I tend to ignore the golds. Now I'm going to have to check them out next time I'm at a show to sooth my curiosity.

You bought very well imho :appl:

Thanks Katbran! Glad everyone enjoyed the photos. Uploading was SO not fun.

Personally I find dark golds more flattering than the lighter goldens and champagnes for my skin. Think golden SSPs come in a huge range of colours so pls do have a look at other tones. I only got interested after my visit to Jewelmer a few months ago and saw deep goldens for the first time. Think red-golds are rare. Out of maybe 30-40 in a tray, I'll find maybe 10% have reddish tones? Another interesting variant are those with greenish overtones but think don't suit my Asian skin very well. There were loads of nice deep goldens at the Fair. Mmm. :love:

Erm, actually whatever you see in the pics do not come close to the beauty in reality. I mean, I've had a hard time photographing pearls before, but this golden is really a challenge. Basically my photography skills were condemned by my colleagues after they saw the golden pearl in real life. :((

For the triples, I was thinking of 8-8.5s anyway, so perhaps... Gosh, they are really really beautiful IRL, I mean the natural whites. Really think this has put me off buying a treated/pinked akoya ever... But, I have to add it's cos I look awful in pink. Think on fairer skins, the normal akoyas will probably look ok. On mine, they just look bleh.

YC said:
Icy Jade, I think I saw you. You were sitting with Mr Panos inside the booth and I noticed you were handling a baroque white SSP. Did not notice that you were taking photos. :wavey: I was the one dressed in blue (not sure if you noticed) and hovering for quite a while at the Tahitian section. Actually, the Tahitians were the only pearls I looked at.

Your choice of SSP is good. Blue overtones for white SSP is not that common and usually baroque.

Ah! I think I remember! You were looking at keshi strands for a while? I noticed you going thru the entire tahitian section. There was this other couple looking at SSPs at the same time right? I was in dark grey top & jeans. Think my hair was tied up or clipped.

Mmm. Still this thing that blue SSPs are supposed to be of lower value, but heck if I love it right? And I think I read that mirror lustre in SSP is rare, and this SSP has it in spades!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I suspect that if I insert a pic here all the details will be lost. So I uploaded the pic to my Wordpress blog so that you can see the subtle play of colours on the pearl. Taken in office, on my desk, no tent or special lighting and with my handphone:

http://emrenoblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/img_9156.jpg?w=1033

And I wore it to office today. Had a hard time finding a v-neck in the morning. :cheeky:
You can just about see my outstretched hands holding my iPhone for the selfie. :love: :appl:

img_9173.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the neck shot, icy_jade. That is a seriously beautiful pendant. :))

I took a look at the blog photo. You can see the entire rainbow on the pearl. Amazing. :cheeky:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1381755594|3537421 said:
Thank you for the neck shot, icy_jade. That is a seriously beautiful pendant. :))

I took a look at the blog photo. You can see the entire rainbow on the pearl. Amazing. :cheeky:

Thanks Fly Girl! Think I love my pearl even more after wearing it and seeing it in the daylight today. The pic is rather defocused on the pearl (as you can tell from the diamonds, but super sharp on my hand cream), but the colours were so pretty I just had to post.

Was coming back to post this pic as I realised the details are kinda fuzzy on the compressed neckshot:

img_9173_copy.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I just have to jump in here regarding treated akoyas. They are not necessarily pink. I have a 26" strand of 9 to 9.5 mm hanadamas (.7 mm of nacre!) that are treated -- they are silver/rose. You know I can't photograph well with my cell phone, but I'll try to start a thread at some point. I just don't want people out there thinking treated akoyas are screaming fake pink!

(I've added one photo -- I should wear these babies!)

hanadama_0.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1381758533|3537457 said:
I just have to jump in here regarding treated akoyas. They are not necessarily pink. I have a 26" strand of 9 to 9.5 mm hanadamas (.7 mm of nacre!) that are treated -- they are silver/rose. You know I can't photograph well with my cell phone, but I'll try to start a thread at some point. I just don't want people out there thinking treated akoyas are screaming fake pink!

I have to agree with you bsomlo :wavey: My earrings are natural white akoya hanadamas, but my rope that was hand selected at the same time by PP to wear with the earrings are AAA akoyas (not natural white) with silver and subtle rose overtones and they are absolutely lovely too (and not too pink at all), but in a different way.

icy your pendant looks lovely! I think the blue overtones might be less common? I know Kevin (PoJ) has some lovely blue SS baroque loose pearls and they are quite pricey compared to the regular wSS!

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I was looking at the loose Tahitians and some strands. The keshis were quite large but the overtones were okay only against my skin.
Think there was at least one other couple looking at the SS. Did u see any shop esp the japanese ones selling loose settings for pearls. Some of the japanese designs r very pretty. I am trying my best not to return tomorrow or I may really max out my credit card

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LitGeek said:
bsomlo|1381758533|3537457 said:

I have to agree with you bsomlo :wavey: My earrings are natural white akoya hanadamas, but my rope that was hand selected at the same time by PP to wear with the earrings are AAA akoyas (not natural white) with silver and subtle rose overtones and they are absolutely lovely too (and not too pink at all), but in a different way.

@bsomlo & @LitGeek: I wished I had thought to take comparative pics of the natural whites vs usual treated akoyas. But I didn't so I searched the internet for comparatives.

I think links to other forums are not allowed? (Am always a tad confused re: different forum's rules, but to be safe, I won't post direct links) Do a search on Google for "natural white vs hanadama akoya pearl-guide".

The best pic that shows what I mean appears on the PG forum, from Pearl Paradise/Jeremy Shepherd showing "Standard hanadama and the natural white hanadama".

That is what I saw at the Fair, which is why I referred to the pinked akoyas as 'pink'. From what I have read before, all (?) akoyas are treated/undergo "maeshori" but natural whites are not supposed to be bleached and pinked (think was Jeremy who said that). Before seeing the difference IRL yesterday, I wouldn't have understood how the 'white' strands I see at Mikimoto can look pink. But against the natural whites, the difference is stark even tho the natural whites have a touch of pink in them.

LitGeek said:
icy your pendant looks lovely! I think the blue overtones might be less common? I know Kevin (PoJ) has some lovely blue SS baroque loose pearls and they are quite pricey compared to the regular wSS!

@LitGeek: Thanks! I am not sure how common it is since I've never really looked at wSSPs prior to Saturday. The possibility that my SSP was treated has also crossed my mind to be honest. Hmm. Any experts can comment/enlighten us how common/natural bluish-pink wSSPs are?

Think the more you know, sometimes the less fun it is esp when you are stuck in the 'know a bit but not that much' category. But anyway it's a beauty so I shall try to enjoy and not think too much. Even hubby commented that this pearl is really special when he walked past it just now (I have it on a neck bust on my kitchen counter! :lol: )

The conversation was like:
Hubby: Wow, this pearl is really special.
Me: Didn't you say that all pearls look the same to you? (that's what he declared on Saturday when I asked for his opinion on tahitian pairs)
Hubby: Ya, but can see the difference in this one. [Picks up a LED mini-torch lying on the kitchen counter and shines on the pendant]
Hubby: Can really see the the pink. You said it's blue-pink right?
Me: Runs over and looks. [Opens light box and throws over bust, and takes a few quick shots]

So even tho my orangey warm lights at home are awful for pearls, I can't resist posting this:

natural_white_vs_pinked.jpg

img_2335.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results