shape
carat
color
clarity

Silky blue sapphire finds her home!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It was a long(ish) journey that started back in April 2020.

After the pandemic hit, like many of us, I looked at jewelry and gems to assuage the anxiety I was feeling. And after my wedding plans were canceled, I needed a fun, exciting, and indulgent project to look forward to.

So I took to Pricescope!

First, find a juicy blue sapphire on a budget...

I created a thread about finding a blue sapphire. So many of you helped me figure out how to identify a beautiful stone, and more importantly, helped me set realistic expectations about what I could get for my budget. You mean...you can't find a large, unheated, bright blue sapphire for <$1k?? :lol: Turns out, no! So for that level-setting and bullet-dodging, I thank you!

I did most of my shopping on Instagram and found a stone from a vendor called Gem Ocean Ltd. It was love at first sight. I took a leap of faith–Nafees (i.e. Gem Ocean) was based in Sri Lanka. There was no way I could afford an unheated sapphire of the size, color, and quality that I got in the U.S. Was it risky? You betcha. Sri Lanka was on full lockdown, and Nafees did everything he could to ensure the safe arrival of my stone. He was absolutely lovely to work with. Never pushy, and always kind. It was an interesting bonding experience figuring out how to get the stone to me during a lockdown, and share experiences with each other from across the globe. Strange times...and thank you Nafees, you beautiful soul!

Next, find a worthy setting...

Many of you helped contribute to my thread about the setting for this stone as I hemmed and hawed. I love modern, antique, engraved, plain, prongs, bezel. I wanted a little heft, and a little pizzazz. I looked at everything. But once I found this Edwardian Tiffany's setting, it made my heart flutter and I couldn't get it out of my mind. I made some tweaks to the profile in particular to let in more light.

David Klass made the setting for me. As per usual, he was responsive, well-priced, and patient with my last-minute changes and questions. I opted for OEC melee, and the engraving is impeccable. I added the "antiquing" to give it a little edge, and I love it. It's comfortable, low-set and the wide ribbon/tab prongs are perfect.

I had a lot of surprises come up that meant I had to be patient and delay this project. But now...

Here she is!!!! Of course the weather is odd today...it's bright, but grey. I tried to catch a little bit of indirect sun...she just vibrates with color and life! I will take more in sunlight when I can because that's when her velvety qualities really show!

Stats
2.55 carats
Unheated
Stone measures 8.56 x 7.05 x 4.96
Size 8

IMG-7577.jpg

IMG-7599.jpg
IMG-7596.jpg
IMG-7588.jpg
IMG-7578.jpg
IMG-7579.jpg

IMG-7586.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
One of the best velvet sapphires my eyeballs have ever ogled over. I'm so glad you were able to get a setting you love and the antiquing *chef's kiss*.

It really is sah-woon worthy.:lickout: Jealous level 10 reached!
I just love it. :love::love::love::love:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful!
crazy how a full bezel vs this setting is so different with this stone.
:love:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
One of the best velvet sapphires my eyeballs have ever ogled over. I'm so glad you were able to get a setting you love and the antiquing *chef's kiss*.

It really is sah-woon worthy.:lickout: Jealous level 10 reached!
I just love it.:love::love::love::love:

Kid-Wiping-Face-on-Glass-Door.gif

Omg that is a LOVELY compliment coming from you! Chuckled at that GIF too :lol:

I literally can’t take my eyes off of it, I made a darn fool of myself walking my dog and ogling my hand hahaha. Good thing I’m resetting my diamond because honestly she’s getting jealous of my new best friend :mrgreen:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful!
crazy how a full bezel vs this setting is so different with this stone.
:love:

Thank you so much @Rfisher - your sapphire was one of the ones that inspired me to find my own. Your ring is one of my muses!

it really is night and day - the full bezel just made her…dead compared to this. With a little exposure at the girdle, she just soaks up the light!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love them. Hard to find with just silk and still eye clean.
It is weird that we should love dull gems.
But that blue on blue is to die for.

We received and sold within 3 hours a 7.5ct Burmese ruby for a special client yesterday. Full of inclusions but none obvious. So looks silky and red on red. Sooo red.
The fluorescence (not in this video) makes the stone pinkish reddder in any daylight (even through windows).
And we believe it is unheated (some whitish perfect 120 degree banding). It is an older stone - so it is off to a lab.
The stone is sold.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Love them. Hard to find with just silk and still eye clean.
It is weird that we should love dull gems.
But that blue on blue is to die for.

We received and sold within 3 hours a 7.5ct Burmese ruby for a special client yesterday. Full of inclusions but none obvious. So looks silky and red on red. Sooo red.
The fluorescence (not in this video) makes the stone pinkish reddder in any daylight (even through windows).
And we believe it is unheated (some whitish perfect 120 degree banding). It is an older stone - so it is off to a lab.
The stone is sold.

I love silk so much, but you are right, I have seen so few that are still eye clean! I feel so lucky to have a sapphire like this in my modest collection!

Oh my, that ruby is delicious! That is my ideal color, it's like red velvet. One day I would love a stone like that! Lucky client. :kiss2:

M

maru8888777

OMG, what a dream of a stone! Enjoy!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I love it so much! Your sapphire is perfection and the setting is gorgeous! I think we may need more pics. :mrgreen:

Oh, you twisted my arm! :lol:

I will definitely be doing more photos, especially when a proper sunny day comes!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this ring!! The color of the stone is really so very gorgeous and that setting…to die for! It’s perfect for the stone, and looks like an heirloom already!!! Enjoy it!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love this ring!! The color of the stone is really so very gorgeous and that setting…to die for! It’s perfect for the stone, and looks like an heirloom already!!! Enjoy it!!

Thank you so much for the kind words! I’m just over the moon about the whole thing!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
This [brand new] beautiful and unique ring has an interesting story/history already! Outstanding heirloom piece! She needs her own name! :love:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This [brand new] beautiful and unique ring has an interesting story/history already! Outstanding heirloom piece! She needs her own name! :love:

Ahhh thank you! Maybe she does…I’m terrible at naming things!

I also failed to mention she was my first anniversary gift! Makes it even more special

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting AND sapphire are both amazing. That is one of the prettiest sapphires I’ve seen, I absolutely love the setting with all that engraving. It’s a beauty!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That setting AND sapphire are both amazing. That is one of the prettiest sapphires I’ve seen, I absolutely love the setting with all that engraving. It’s a beauty!

Oh what a sweet compliment! I admire your collection and eye, it means a lot! DK’s engraving really is out of this world! The milgrain is impossibly tiny!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh what a sweet compliment! I admire your collection and eye, it means a lot! DK’s engraving really is out of this world! The milgrain is impossibly tiny!

Aw thanks so much! I have to say that pictures of DK’s milgrain and engraving just don’t do either any justice. They really must be seen in person to truly be appreciated.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Aw thanks so much! I have to say that pictures of DK’s milgrain and engraving just don’t do either any justice. They really must be seen in person to truly be appreciated.

Totally agree!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! The blue is just soooo stunning! I saw it on IG..I was mesmerized by it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results