shape
carat
color
clarity

*Sigh* - scared I overpaid.

themarked

Rough_Rock
Come to think of it, there was a GIA certified 1 carat stone, H colour, Si2 for around the same price. They looked the same to my newb eyes, other than the noticeable size difference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
themarked|1307935790|2944473 said:
Come to think of it, there was a GIA certified 1 carat stone, H colour, Si2 for around the same price. They looked the same to my newb eyes, other than the noticeable size difference.

The cut is very important. I'd go for this one IF it says excellent cut and is totally eyeclean. But I'd check it with a loupe to check out the inclusions regardless.

However, I would still see if that store has a website and see if the return policy is different on the site. I would still try to return it and start over before working on an exchange.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
themarked|1307935790|2944473 said:

you have to check the cut grade though. if it's just good cut or poor cut you still shouldn't get it. and make sure it's eye clean

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1307932357|2944433 said:
If it looks good to you, and you like it, then I would say enjoy it!

Here's a stone from James Allen - K, I1, Good cut has an HCA of over 5 (performs poorly) and they're asking $5,220 for it. You have a stone that on paper performs better, and it sounds like looks good to you, for roughly the same price. So if you love it that's all that matters :)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-I1-Good-Cut-Round-Diamond-1381756.asp

Just as a point of clarity, we do not actually know if this is a better or worse or comparable cut to the diamond the OP has. We can't use the HCA score to make a comparison -- except to conclude that both stones are considered "reject" by the HCA, which is a dichotomous tool -- and the OP did not post the proportions. Nor can we draw conclusions about the color or clarity of an EGL stone compared to a GIA stone. Guesses are just that, unfortunately. ETA: And the price comparison is not accurate. The PS search clearly indicates that stones of the OP's specs retial online for $3500. This GIA stone is not a comparable for value.

themarked

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1307937732|2944493 said:

Here's a stone from James Allen - K, I1, Good cut has an HCA of over 5 (performs poorly) and they're asking $5,220 for it. You have a stone that on paper performs better, and it sounds like looks good to you, for roughly the same price. So if you love it that's all that matters :)

Just as a point of clarity, we do not actually know if this is a better or worse or comparable cut to the diamond the OP has. We can't use the HCA score to make a comparison -- except to conclude that both stones are considered "reject" by the HCA, which is a dichotomous tool -- and the OP did not post the proportions. Nor can we draw conclusions about the color or clarity of an EGL stone compared to a GIA stone. Guesses are just that, unfortunately. ETA: And the price comparison is not accurate. The PS search clearly indicates that stones of the OP's specs retial online for $3500. This GIA stone is not a comparable for value.

Here are some other details on the certification:

7.3-7.24x4.47mm

Depth: 61.5%
Table: 63%
Crown 12.4%
Pavilion 42.6%
Girdle: Thick to very thick faceted
Cutlet: none
Fluorescence: none
Polish: very good
Symmetry: good

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
themarked|1307938256|2944499 said:
Dreamer_D|1307937732|2944493 said:

7.3-7.24x4.47mm

Crown 12.4%
Pavilion 42.6%
Symmetry: good

How did you get an HCA score from those numbers? I get an error message.

You can easily find a stone with better cut. The proportions of this stone will not excell accross a variety of lighting environments. If you looked at it in jewelery store lighting, well that is unfortunately a very deceptive environment often aimed at minimizing differences in cut quality accross stones.

Now if you came in and said this stone blew you away and you loved it, that is one thing. But you yourself said the cut did not blow you away compared to some other stones you have seen. So I suggest you find a stone that blows you away.

If you can exchange it I really suggest that you do. Look for a GIA Ex cut grade or even VG, either will be better than this one. Remember, cut grade is more important than any other factor on the report.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="themarked|1307938256|[/quote]

7.3-7.24x4.47mm

Crown 12.4%
Pavilion 42.6%
Symmetry: good[/quote]

don't look good... :knockout:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think both of the suggested stones would be good options to consider!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
If they didn't hold up their end of the bargain, contact the Attorney General's office to lodge a complaint. That's what they do. I've heard Marla Tapper at Tapper's is wonderful, ask for her specifically and I'm sure she'll talk you down and help you with any concerns/diamond help. They are reputable. Her Dad's been doing it a long time and she grew up in the business. Good Luck-this is supposed to be a happy time ;))

themarked

Rough_Rock
What about this diamond? I know it's better to see it in person, but it's GIA certified and has decent specs. Smaller than the one I purchased, but probably a lot better looking.

http://www.jewelryexchange.com/diamonddetails.aspx?diamondID=157997

EDIT: I entered the specs listed on the HCA, and it says the girdle is overly thick or the specs are incorrect....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
backwardsandinheels|1307980864|2944757 said:
If they didn't hold up their end of the bargain, contact the Attorney General's office to lodge a complaint. That's what they do. I've heard Marla Tapper at Tapper's is wonderful, ask for her specifically and I'm sure she'll talk you down and help you with any concerns/diamond help. They are reputable. Her Dad's been doing it a long time and she grew up in the business. Good Luck-this is supposed to be a happy time ;))
Is this stone from Tapper's?

I hate to say it but I visited there for the first time last month and was extremely underwhelmed. I would not purchase a diamond there, no way, no how.

E B

Ideal_Rock
themarked|1308005645|2945075 said:
What about this diamond? I know it's better to see it in person, but it's GIA certified and has decent specs. Smaller than the one I purchased, but probably a lot better looking.

EDIT: I entered the specs listed on the HCA, and it says the girdle is overly thick or the specs are incorrect....

It is VERY deep, thus the measurements- 6.04 x 6.07 vs. ~6.5mm (a well-cut 1 ct. stone). I'd pass on that one.

slg and I suggested two above that look like they could be nice. Are they above budget?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

No not a good option. Its cut grade is "Fair", did you see that? You need to try to stick to GIA Excellent or Very Good if you want to find a decent improvement over the one you have.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
The Jewelry Factory has a commercial that advertises GIA certs. Insist on one. Good Luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The depth should absolutely not be greater than 62.3%. Try to stick with 62.0 or less. Too deep can result in the stone appearing much smaller in diameter than its weight would suggest.

Table: 54-58

Crown angle: 34.0-35.0

Pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

Girdle should be thin, medium, or slightly thick (avoid very thin or thick)

Only look at stones that are graded GIA Excellent. While some of those are better than others, I would far rather see you with any GIA Excellent stone over the one you have.

approximate diameters of well cut stones:

1 ct.: 6.5mm

1.1 cts: 6.6mm

1.2 cts.: 6.8mm

1.3 cts.: 7.0mm

themarked

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot. Everyone on this forum has been so helpful, and I really appreciate it.

I should add, while many local jewelers offer diamonds with similar specs to the one I purchased, they aren't certified - in their words, the specs are too low to justify certification cost. Problem is, without a certified stone that is similar, I don't get a refund. So it looks like I'm stuck with the Jewelry Factory. Thanks for the suggestions, too - I'll ask if they can get them in. At least I get to exchange...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1308007606|2945097 said:

No not a good option. Its cut grade is "Fair", did you see that? You need to try to stick to GIA Excellent or Very Good if you want to find a decent improvement over the one you have.

69.9 depth?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
themarked|1308014059|2945190 said:
Thanks a lot. Everyone on this forum has been so helpful, and I really appreciate it.

I should add, while many local jewelers offer diamonds with similar specs to the one I purchased, they aren't certified - in their words, the specs are too low to justify certification cost. Problem is, without a certified stone that is similar, I don't get a refund. So it looks like I'm stuck with the Jewelry Factory. Thanks for the suggestions, too - I'll ask if they can get them in. At least I get to exchange...

I am sorry there is just something off here. Go to Pearlman's and see if they will help you. If not tell them you want a refund, print out what it says online and tell them either they refund or you reverse charges.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
themarked|1308014059|2945190 said:

I think with the online statemet of a 15 day refund you could make the case if you are willing to push for it.

SLG I know, shocking!

themarked

Rough_Rock
The 15 day refund is only available for online purchases, there are no refunds on in-store purchases. The only thing they do is refund you if you find a similar diamond that is cheaper in the area (not online).

And of course I paid cash because they took some money off for that. It was quite slimy the tactics they used...but I'm also disappointed in myself for caving in.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well definitely see if you can exchange. but avoid that 69.9% depth RB at all costs!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
themarked|1308019488|2945254 said:
The 15 day refund is only available for online purchases, there are no refunds on in-store purchases. The only thing they do is refund you if you find a similar diamond that is cheaper in the area (not online).

And of course I paid cash because they took some money off for that. It was quite slimy the tactics they used...but I'm also disappointed in myself for caving in.

Well hopefully this thread will be a lesson to future buyers -- never pay cash only (did you even get a receipt?) and only buy with a no questions asked refund policy in writing.

Get an exchange asap.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
You said they will give you a refund if you find a cheaper stone in the area or will they just pricematch? I'd call Pearlmans in a heartbeat, they are in Battle Creek and see if they have a similar stone priced lower. They are Pricescope vendors so alert them to this thread if you need to so they understand what is going on. See what they have and if they can come in lower than you paid. There just might be a chance, unless of course it's pricematch situation and then I'm afraid you are out of luck. You really do need to get the exchange done as soon as possible.

E B

Ideal_Rock
themarked|1308019488|2945254 said:

What's done is done, but don't feel down- you can still exchange for something beautiful. Keep us posted and let us know how the GIA 1 ct J stones look.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I would only buy something from Tapper's if I was working with someone in the Tapper family-Marla or Howard.

themarked

Rough_Rock
Ok, don't be mad at me, but I exchanged it and didn't post the specs prior to the exchange for approval lol.
I upped my budget because I saw a diamond that made me say "wow" and I just knew that it was the one. Maybe I overpaid again, I haven't checked prices yet, but if I didn't overpay by more than $500 then whatever. Oh and I was wrong about their refund policy - they do NOT refund. If you find a cheaper, similar stone they pay the difference. Oh, one more thing, the original diamond was 1.49 carats not 1.5.

The one I bought is:
GIA certified
1.01 carats
H colour
SI1 clarity
Very good cut
very good symmetry
very good polish
medium blue fluorescence
6.34-6.41x4.02mm
63.1% depth
57% table size
Cown angle 35.5
crown height 15.5%
pavillion depth 43.5%
star length 50%
lower half 80%

The only blemishes are on the size, and I can't even see them. This thing SPARKLES. The other looked foggy beside it.

The downside...I paid an extra $1600 :(. So the total, with the $500 setting, was about $7600 for the ring. Even if I did overpay - which I'm not sure of yet - I love the diamond.

I will post pics once I borrow my sister's camera (I don't have a good one).

Thanks again for all your help!
girdle medium to slightly thick
faceted 4%

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you put the numbers in the HCA?

Do you want to know if you overpaid, or if this stone is well cut?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
post the GIA# on the diamond.
Also what you can do right now is shop around local area and see if you can find something similar but cheaper so they can match the price on it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results