shape
carat
color
clarity

Siebenstern Setting (Uli's 7-sided cut)

breezing

Rough_Rock
i finalized the design for the setting of this stone (Namibian Spessartite, 1.97 cts, 7.0 x 5.4 mm):

i prefer simple settings with wide bands and this design suits me. below is the funky/chunky CAD for it, still a little hard to visualize because the program does not have a heptagon/septagon option and renderings can look so heavy. band will be 4mm in width and a tight 5 in size, WG. a 7 prong was briefly discussed but i'm really a tension, bezel gal so i think this was a good compromise for this stone which i think wants stronger lines.

i know there are some others here with the heptagon/septagon cut and look forward to seeing what they come up with. critique away as well, always interested in other design options that i may not have considered.

Presentation1.jpg

NamSpe1_97_1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting design you have there. I have a heptagon/septagon (take you pick) from Uli, and I have no idea how I would set it unless I did go custom and did a halo or something akin to that. I'm looking forward to the end result of your piece! :bigsmile: Thank you for sharing your ideas with everyone.

breezing

Rough_Rock
i know mine is a pretty plain setting and that you like more bling than me but early on i was playing around with shapes in powerpoint and came up with these. the limiting factor would be trying to find the right size stones to match the dimensions of your hepy/sepy and how "big" you wanted to go. shape-wise trapazoids, tapered baguettes, and rounds work easily. i did use triangles but i'm not sure how a trillion would work unless you found some odd, ultra sharp itty-bitty ones, even then you'd have to fudge a little with the metal to make them work due to the odd angles. i think the key is not fighting the geometric shape of the stone but working with it.

i do have another of the same cut so down the road i may do some type of mini bezel or a 7 V prong, current design has one V but i'm not quite ready to jump into full-on progdom =) not sure if i'll slip away from work when the wax arrives but if i do i'll post pictures of it and will definately post pictures of the finished proejct. good luck with your hepy/sepy!

heptagon.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm loving that stone!

MoZo

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Very vibrant stone, and interesting setting. How are you planning on finishing the ends of the prongs? As they are, I'd be concerned that they might be too likely to snag on everything.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to like the setting, but I wonder if a semi bezel or full bezel would be just as nice as the prongs...it may just be that the cads are blocky, but the proportions are so chunky. I like the ring band itself, I just wonder if the two halfs go together.

Laura

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
breezing said:
i know mine is a pretty plain setting and that you like more bling than me but early on i was playing around with shapes in powerpoint and came up with these. the limiting factor would be trying to find the right size stones to match the dimensions of your hepy/sepy and how "big" you wanted to go. shape-wise trapazoids, tapered baguettes, and rounds work easily. i did use triangles but i'm not sure how a trillion would work unless you found some odd, ultra sharp itty-bitty ones, even then you'd have to fudge a little with the metal to make them work due to the odd angles. i think the key is not fighting the geometric shape of the stone but working with it.

i do have another of the same cut so down the road i may do some type of mini bezel or a 7 V prong, current design has one V but i'm not quite ready to jump into full-on progdom =) not sure if i'll slip away from work when the wax arrives but if i do i'll post pictures of it and will definately post pictures of the finished proejct. good luck with your hepy/sepy!

Perhaps enamel instead of calibre stones?

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Breezing, I love your stone and the design is cool. I hope you post lots of pictures when it's finished.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not terribly original or artistic when it comes to design but yours is very nice. Are you planning to use a white metal?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results