carat
color
clarity

Sick kitty...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1457502418|4001934 said:
When DH and I told our vet that our cat poops every other day, the vet said she should be pooping once a day. The vet suggested we include more fiber in her diet via some alternatives, one of which was pumpkin. Well, not surprisingly, our cat was not interested in plain pumpkin, but she loves our recipe which we call "poopkin". We mix a can of wet cat food with an equal amount of 100% pure canned pumpkin (like Libby's, no sugar added and not pumpkin pie mix). We give her a tablespoon or two of that per day to supplement her dry food. Not only does she love, love, love it, but she poos regularly once per day.

If you don't want to go with the dulcolax option, you can check with your vet to see if poopkin is a good alternative for your current situation.

Thanks! I'll look into that. We had been doing that for one of our dogs who needed some help. I had forgotten about pumpkin.

I'm mixing a vitamin supplement into her food right now to make sure she gets all the nutrition she needs. I think it has pumpkin too. Probably not enough...

I think one of the issues is that she hadn't been eating great or drinking much so it wasn't moving. She is also spending a lot more time just laying still so that can't be helping either.

She got rid of some urine in her box this morning. Got her next dose of thyroid meds. After eating so well last night (all of her food plus another 1/2 of the extra I gave her as she was looking for more), she really didn't eat much of anything this morning. Maybe a couple of tablespoons.
I needed to get 3/4 of a pill into her for the next antibiotic (the stronger one the emergency vet prescribed to go in addition to the time release injection she had) but could only get 1/4. She is NOT good at pills. The vet was going to show me how to do it (and suggested if I couldn't manage I could take her to the vet once a day and they would do it for me) the right way -- use a pill pusher thing and stick it way to the back, hold her mouth shut, and rub to get her to swallow. I couldn't help but smile as Lily showed her what I had tried to explain. She won't swallow unless she wants to. The vet tried sticking water in after it and even a bit of food. Took her 15+ minutes to get her to take it. (I did have to assure her that yes, Lilly can swallow. She has always done this!)

ETA: Oh! She even cleaned her fur a little last night.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For pilling - a pill pocket worked - ONCE on one of my cats :lol:

I found that chucking it as far back down the throat helps - the more taste buds avoided the better!
Then I clamp my girl's mouth shut (sounds awful!) with my hands and blow on her nose. That apparently is supposed to tickle the nose, and cause her to lick when I release. When she licks her nose, she swallows. BUT I still stalk the cat/s for a few minutes to make sure they're not cheeking it and spitting it out somewhere else!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1457539493|4002064 said:
For pilling - a pill pocket worked - ONCE on one of my cats :lol:

I found that chucking it as far back down the throat helps - the more taste buds avoided the better!
Then I clamp my girl's mouth shut (sounds awful!) with my hands and blow on her nose. That apparently is supposed to tickle the nose, and cause her to lick when I release. When she licks her nose, she swallows. BUT I still stalk the cat/s for a few minutes to make sure they're not cheeking it and spitting it out somewhere else!

:lol:

I'm likely to see if they can do a special liquid version at the compounding pharmacy if I can't get it into her this afternoon. Liquid is not fun, but it is easier to do with her than pills. She holds onto them for 15-20 minutes even if you can get way in the back. She always has been my stubborn girl!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Liquid is way easier! The only ick factor is when they go "bleck!" and spray you a little. :lol: :lol: :lol: But it's all down the hatch by then :lol: :lol: :lol:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have toy poodles so this may not work with cats. If our girls need liquid meds I will mix it with a little bit of vanilla flavoured yogurt (make sure it does not contain aspartame). They just lap it up. Be sure to ask the vet if you can mix the compounded medication with another liquid first.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling in morning to talk to vet. Going to have her come to our house rather than us go in. We are last appointment of the day anyway so is easy enough for her.

Struggled, but got 2nd dose of oral antibiotic in her.

She is not doing well. Hoping desperately to see improvement by tomorrow morning. Will ask vet to come prepared with antibiotic injection in case she is showing improvement. Otherwise, we need to be kind to her. She could barely stand up tonight. Worked hard to get there and could barely do. Still not eating.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh honey, I'm so sorry to hear this news. This slow day by day of watching her ups and downs, I imagine it must be devastating. And I know you would do more if it would help. And so does she.

Much love to you both.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These past few days have been so rough TP, you're doing all you can…sending thoughts of comfort and strength to you, so sorry.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient,

I'm so sorry. You've been doing everything possible and shown Lily so much love.

My heart aches for you.

Sending many hugs.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1457577965|4002352 said:
Calling in morning to talk to vet. Going to have her come to our house rather than us go in. We are last appointment of the day anyway so is easy enough for her.

Struggled, but got 2nd dose of oral antibiotic in her.

She is not doing well. Hoping desperately to see improvement by tomorrow morning. Will ask vet to come prepared with antibiotic injection in case she is showing improvement. Otherwise, we need to be kind to her. She could barely stand up tonight. Worked hard to get there and could barely do. Still not eating.

oh :(( ;( :blackeye:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snuggling as much as she wants. Will be home early for more snuggles tomorrow and hopes that maybe somehow she is better before the vet comes tomorrow.

db9b9da3748091fc0fa35d77dbaeaf57.jpg

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry Too Patient. Please take comfort in knowing you did everything you could for Lily. My thoughts are with you.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Sorry you're in this position. When my Tig went downhill, it happened so fast that the choice was made for me. We noticed he was having trouble breathing, took him in, and were told there was nothing to be done but euthanize. They said we could get a second opinion but that he likely wouldn't survive the car ride to another vet. It was horrific, but at least I didn't have a choice.

I hope that no matter what happens tomorrow, you have the strength to do what needs done, whether it's try a little longer or let kitty peacefully go. We owe our pets to not be selfish in those final hours/days. Hope you get some clarity. I'm sure the roller coaster is torturous.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry TooPatient. You did and are still doing everything you can. You gave her a wonderful life filled with love and security and you are now doing everything you can do give her peace and freedom from pain. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers and sending much love and comfort your way. (((HUGS))).

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry TooPatient. You are doing an amazing job of loving and supporting Lilly. The hardest and most difficult decision is knowing when it is time to let them go. She is so lucky to have you. I'm sending you hugs and support on this very difficult day!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that you and Lily are having a rough time, but I know that you will do what's best for her because you love her so much. ((Hugs)).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7pm vet will come to our house.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've been so wonderful to Lily in her time of need. She knows she is cherished and loved by you and your family and that she can count on you all. Will be thinking of you.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
This thread makes me cry for wishing the news was better. :((

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1457639672|4002827 said:

You mean... :(( right?

If you do...since I won't be in front of my PC until really late tonight...

Please if you remember have one of your pets be from me. I know I don't know her, and she'll probably think it's a little nutty (and maybe you do too) - but I would love if I knew one of your strokes on her fur was from me. From all of us here.

Hugs TP.

:blackeye:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very sorry to read this update. It's been hard checking this thread because I've been in your shoes with one of my furbabies, and I know the pain. My heart and thoughts are with you, TP. (hugs)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Praying for you and your kitty. I know you will always do what is best for Lily!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1457641600|4002842 said:
TooPatient|1457639672|4002827 said:

You mean... :(( right?

If you do...since I won't be in front of my PC until really late tonight...

Please if you remember have one of your pets be from me. I know I don't know her, and she'll probably think it's a little nutty (and maybe you do too) - but I would love if I knew one of your strokes on her fur was from me. From all of us here.

Hugs TP.

:blackeye:

Short of massive miracle, yes.

Not nutty. I'll give her hugs and pets from all of you.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No massive miracle. The vet is on her way. Snuggling a purring girl.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs TooPatient, so very sorry.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Reading this thread has brought back so many memories for me and I am sitting her sobbing as I type this. I remember posting daily updates about EQ and the love and support I got from the PS community was incredible. It just breaks my heart to read these last few posts and to know what you are going through at this moment.

TP, you have given Lily a wonderful life filled with love and I am 100% positive that she knows this and appreciates this. You are doing the most kind thing you can do for a beautiful creature that you have loved and cherished for years and please know that she trusts you in this decision. It is so hard for us, as humans, to say goodbye to our best fur-friends, but they are very smart and they have a way of letting us know when it is time.

I wish you peace and love for the days/weeks that follow. HUGS

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is gone. Very peaceful.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sending you an outpouring of love from Pinto and her family of beans. Lily is an :saint: now loving her family from her kitty heaven.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so glad to hear it was peaceful for her.

goodbye Lily.

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
So sorry TP

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results