clarity

Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
XUGyEsk.jpg

ybK0KnG.jpg

It's finished! I can't wait! :D
It’s just beautiful!!! I love the proportions between stone and setting, the wonderful geometry, and of course, the star is just stunning! So happy for you. Please show some hand shots when it arrives?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TeaGlutton

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, I will definitely post more pictures once I get it. It's going to be my wedding ring and worn on my middle finger (left hand) because... just because!

So, another project through Yvonne Raley (she's just the best).
Star sapphire is Burmese, untreated 2.32 carat 7.3mm round
I dont know total carat weight of diamonds, I think 1.5mm rounds and 2x1 baguettes per Yvonne.

The first convo to Yvonne was 04/05/2018. It was not speedy with the sapphire, but not too long either. Right in the budget, not too big, not too small. I really, really like how nice it came out.

I fell in love with little hexagon snowflakes like: https://luvthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/transparent-hexagon-snowflake.jpg

And Yvonne is pretty famous for her floral designs, so what is a snowflake but a flower of ice? I wanted to keep the hexagon outline, it fits with the 6-rayed star. The round star makes the symmetry sing inside the hexagon to me. The icy shape and appearance of the halo surrounding the little dewdrop holding the star is magic. Like a raindrop reflecting starlight forming into a snowflake and falling from the sky... the idea is so magical and COLD. I love the cold. The end. :p

(Bluegemz way of describing stones has clearly rubbed off...! :D)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I saw this thread earlier...I didn't know star sapphires could be so beautiful and more tranluscent than I've seen IRL.

I recently purchased some small stars (natural Burmese) from one of my favorite vendors at the Springfield Gem show . I've always been hesitant because of worries about diffusion etc. and so many I found were meh (before I saw this thread). But I liked the color of the stones and 6 ray stars and being smaller, a more affordable way to dip my toes in the waterm

2.37 ct periwinkle blue which happily looks like it will fit in a stock setting I had sitting around.
IMG_20180825_152226.jpg
IMG_20180825_152116.jpg
And my star ruby 3.42 cts
IMG_20180819_154020.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone, I will definitely post more pictures once I get it. It's going to be my wedding ring and worn on my middle finger (left hand) because... just because!

So, another project through Yvonne Raley (she's just the best).
Star sapphire is Burmese, untreated 2.32 carat 7.3mm round
I dont know total carat weight of diamonds, I think 1.5mm rounds and 2x1 baguettes per Yvonne.

The first convo to Yvonne was 04/05/2018. It was not speedy with the sapphire, but not too long either. Right in the budget, not too big, not too small. I really, really like how nice it came out.

I fell in love with little hexagon snowflakes like: https://luvthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/transparent-hexagon-snowflake.jpg

And Yvonne is pretty famous for her floral designs, so what is a snowflake but a flower of ice? I wanted to keep the hexagon outline, it fits with the 6-rayed star. The round star makes the symmetry sing inside the hexagon to me. The icy shape and appearance of the halo surrounding the little dewdrop holding the star is magic. Like a raindrop reflecting starlight forming into a snowflake and falling from the sky... the idea is so magical and COLD. I love the cold. The end. :p

(Bluegemz way of describing stones has clearly rubbed off...! :D)
I love your words and now love your ring even more after your description! I can completely understand the inspiration in your ring, and am inspired by it. You described it perfectly. It IS like a fallen star in a dew drop....the geometry gives it such perfect protection and boundary, as the star is like a true phenomenon which just happened and would be transient if not for the metal and diamonds, as if it would be lost or evaporate. The setting anchors it to foreverness, but the star still holds that true drop of happenstance magic!

I always see snowflakes as ice flowers also! There is something amazing about all stars, but the ones under a few carats have such an intimacy and tenderness about them. They are just so alive in the way that they constantly change with the light. Just gorgeous!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I saw this thread earlier...I didn't know star sapphires could be so beautiful and more tranluscent than I've seen IRL.

I recently purchased some small stars (natural Burmese) from one of my favorite vendors at the Springfield Gem show . I've always been hesitant because of worries about diffusion etc. and so many I found were meh (before I saw this thread). But I liked the color of the stones and 6 ray stars and being smaller, a more affordable way to dip my toes in the waterm

2.37 ct periwinkle blue which happily looks like it will fit in a stock setting I had sitting around.
IMG_20180825_152226.jpg
IMG_20180825_152116.jpg
And my star ruby 3.42 cts
IMG_20180819_154020.jpg
Thank you for adding these gorgeous stars! I love the blue one in that setting. It really shows off the stone and the proportions work really well together.
Your star ruby is wonderful too. Such a fresh color and great size. I’ve always wanted a star ruby, but they are hard to find and getting much harder. Any setting plans for it?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@Bluegemz
I had always thought your idea of a stacking set of stars was lovely but I only owned blue star sapphires and wanted some variation of color and thought id never find the perfect stones for a good price. Then, a week ago while ordering my first cat eye aquamarine cabs my lapidarist also sent three little untreated/unheated Burmese star rubies free of charge because hes just a kind man. They have a gorgeous bright pink reddish/tint of blue color and transparency. The stars aren't easily viewed but hey, they were gifts and the color is lovely! So I took three of my best little blue star sapphires from the photo posted and sent those three star rubies to my silversmith to make a 6-ring stack of matte-brushed silver star stackers.

Since I'm not in a rush and my silversmith is always super busy it'll be a little while before theyre done but when theyre finished ill post some snaps here (:

I just wanted to say thank you for the idea/inspiration. I think all star lovers need a stacking set of stars! And who knows maybe ill keep adding :twisted2::lol: Its funny how some stones literally just appear in our lives.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think all star lovers need a stacking set of stars! And who knows maybe ill keep adding :twisted2::lol: Its funny how some stones literally just appear in our lives.

Ah, why do I keep finding things I never knew I wanted? Like star sapphire bracelet and then stacking rings... really should stay away from this thread haha.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ah, why do I keep finding things I never knew I wanted? Like star sapphire bracelet and then stacking rings... really should stay away from this thread haha.

Ooops "Did Iiiiiiiii do thaaat?" :P2:whistle:
*Nanny Fran Voice*

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz
I had always thought your idea of a stacking set of stars was lovely but I only owned blue star sapphires and wanted some variation of color and thought id never find the perfect stones for a good price. Then, a week ago while ordering my first cat eye aquamarine cabs my lapidarist also sent three little untreated/unheated Burmese star rubies free of charge because hes just a kind man. They have a gorgeous bright pink reddish/tint of blue color and transparency. The stars aren't easily viewed but hey, they were gifts and the color is lovely! So I took three of my best little blue star sapphires from the photo posted and sent those three star rubies to my silversmith to make a 6-ring stack of matte-brushed silver star stackers.

Since I'm not in a rush and my silversmith is always super busy it'll be a little while before theyre done but when theyre finished ill post some snaps here (:

I just wanted to say thank you for the idea/inspiration. I think all star lovers need a stacking set of stars! And who knows maybe ill keep adding :twisted2::lol: Its funny how some stones literally just appear in our lives.
That’s an amazing synchronicity! Jewelry karma at work...i think you were meant to have the multicolored stackers! I can’t wait to see them. I think seeing yours will push me to finally focusing on a star stacker project, as I’ve always wanted some. I don’t think I’ll find a clear pink star or star ruby in a large size easily, and I just adore the tenderness of smaller stars, so stackers are the perfect solution and also for a more modern and simple look. ( though one could do lots with stackers making them into all kinds of styles.) really happy for you! So awesome!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your wedding ring is spectacular, @TeaGlutton! I also saw it in Yvonne's shop :) I also never paid much attention to star sapphires until I saw the really nice ones here and on Etsy. Wear it in good health!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally was able to capture the shy star thats present in my star rose quartz (:
Just thought you all would like to see!

20180912_081632_HDR.jpg

This is more of what it looks like all the time not in direct sunlight (:
20180912_125041.jpg
That is just so beautiful and magic! Wow!!! What a spectacular rose quartz.

Recently, I gave my star rose quartz bracelet away to an admiring friend...sigh, I miss having a star rose quartz so will have to find another one. Your ring is such an inspiration!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
That is just so beautiful and magic! Wow!!! What a spectacular rose quartz.

Recently, I gave my star rose quartz bracelet away to an admiring friend...sigh, I miss having a star rose quartz so will have to find another one. Your ring is such an inspiration!

Thank you! I also felt like my previous photo didnt do it justice so when I saw that the star was coming out to play I seized the moment.
& Arent you incredibly kind! I should do things like that more often as it truly comes back around and warms the soul! Although I'm similar to Gollum from Lord of the Rings when wearing my jewelry...."My preciousss!!"
I once gave a girl in my anatomy class her first ring ever though...she always admired this one rainbow moonstone ring that I wore. One day I wore it and when she walked into class she complimented it again and I knew it was meant to be hers! It felt like it belonged to her and that I was merely a bridge between her and the gem.

Oh and I know this is totally out of left field but I have these rectangular light blue cat eye aquamarine cabs that are adorable at 7x8.70mm and although theyre not a perfect match they still work well together. Any ideas for them?
Theyre on the lighter end for aquas so I was thinking brushed silver; unoxidized. I'm just not sure what design could incorporate both?
20180912_212607_HDR.jpg 20180912_212652.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I feel like I'm hogging up this thread so someone please rescue me lol
But no need to reply about the cat eye aquas! I figured out what to do with them after my boyfriend showed interest in one and asked me to make him a ring with it (: I decided to make a little couples set with them. His will be made with oxidized hammered silver as he wishes and mine will be matte.

Anyways, time for the reason I'm posting again...I finally purchased my very first star sapphire thats set in gold (other than my black star).
I found it on ebay, its over 6 cts and is approx. 8x10mm and I believe I got a great deal on it!
I will have it by mid week next week and will post some handshots!
It doesnt compare to many of the stars you ladies have but the price was un-ignorable and I'm happy with it!
s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (3).jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But no need to reply about the cat eye aquas! I figured out what to do with them after my boyfriend showed interest in one and asked me to make him a ring with it (: I decided to make a little couples set with them. His will be made with oxidized hammered silver as he wishes and mine will be matte.

Anyways, time for the reason I'm posting again...I finally purchased my very first star sapphire thats set in gold (other than my black star).
I found it on ebay, its over 6 cts and is approx. 8x10mm and I believe I got a great deal on it!
It doesnt compare to many of the stars you ladies have but the price was un-ignorable and I'm happy with it!
s-l400.jpg

First let me say that there is no such thing as hogging up this thread!

Wow, I love those aquas! They are so dreamy and soft.....cat’s eye stones, especially aqua, chrysoberyl and other beryls and tourmalines are just magic! Those will make a wonderful set. If you back them with gold, white metal or mother of pearl, that can really enhance the cat’s eye effect ...

Now to the star, it’s just beautiful!!! I adore the proportions, that setting and the size. The setting really goes with the stone. I’ve noticed in many older star rings, that it seems that the settings were really thought about to go with the stone....like the details of those curved lines on the band that lead into the prongs really add such a unique touch! It looks like such a nice clear stone with lovely pastel colors. Truly a fairy ring. I think it’s amazing and am really looking forward to seeing more pictures. :)

My dream would be to collect all kinds of phenomenal stones, especially those with stars, cat’s eyes and Schiller. So far, I’ve only managed some star sapphires, moonstones, and cat’s eye nephrite. First on my list would be a star purple sapphire or ruby, then a cat’s eye chrysoberyl....a new star rose quartz...sigh.

Btw, I love that you gave your ring away!!. I’ve had the tendency to give away things (jewelry) to people who love it because I’m happy to be able to give something which might make others happy/contribute in my small way to jewelry karma. Once, as a kid, I was in the care of a widow heiress for a month over the Summer at her horse riding ranch. She loved jewelry and had a great collection from her late husband. knowing my love for jewelry, gave and bought me 2 lovely pieces even though we hadn’t known each other before that month. That spirit touched me so much that I never forgot it.

Last edited:

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock

s-l400.jpg

That purple color is soooo pretty <3 and it's cab :love:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Here are my itsy-bitsy star sapphires (compared to what @Bluegemz and @TheGarnetGirl have).

IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0088.JPG
1.25ct white/transparent star, 4ct black star, and 4ct purplish ruby/sapphire star. Currently unset, but I love @Bluegemz 's idea of stacking star sapphire rings, and hope to take a workshop someday and bezel set these myself into some stacker rings.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my itsy-bitsy star sapphires (compared to what @Bluegemz and @TheGarnetGirl have).

IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0088.JPG
1.25ct white/transparent star, 4ct black star, and 4ct purplish ruby/sapphire star. Currently unset, but I love @Bluegemz 's idea of stacking star sapphire rings, and hope to take a workshop someday and bezel set these myself into some stacker rings.
Oh I love those, especially that little white one! It looks truly pure! The others are great too.... I love the idea of those as stackers, and especially you doing it yourself. How great would that be! Do you have a favorite of the 3?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oh I love those, especially that little white one! It looks truly pure! The others are great too.... I love the idea of those as stackers, and especially you doing it yourself. How great would that be! Do you have a favorite of the 3?
Although from a cerebral perspective the purplish red is worth more because of the color and the sharp star (hope it's not diffiused, but it was sold to me for ~$40 as unheated ruby), I am drawn more to the black star, both because I feel like I can wear black anytime and because it has the strongest star. The white star I like almost as much, but it's on the smallish side, and it's difficult to see the white-on-white star in pictures.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although from a cerebral perspective the purplish red is worth more because of the color and the sharp star (hope it's not diffiused, but it was sold to me for ~$40 as unheated ruby), I am drawn more to the black star, both because I feel like I can wear black anytime and because it has the strongest star. The white star I like almost as much, but it's on the smallish side, and it's difficult to see the white-on-white star in pictures.
It’s really tough to choose, but they all look good together! The black goes with everything and is very pronounced. I would agree with you that the red seems especially nice due to its size the star ruby has a great size.

I’ve bought a parcel of truly truly tiny stars that I need to figure out what to do with. There are too many for stackers, but maybe earrings.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

Those three are lovely! Black, reddish purple, and white; such polarizing colors that can represent so much! Sorry I'm a weirdo in that I love to create a ring or piece of jewelry based on a time in my life, a trip, or a certain emotion based so I always think about the meaning of my gemstones and their colors!

Im naturally drawn to black sapphires as well, there is just something about them. They remind me of shooting stars, mystery, black cats, and if they have a golden star they remind me of that little spark in all of us, that is almost childlike.

I'm excited for my stacking set! It wont be done for about a month but ill make sure to post some photos. Maybe it'll encourage you to start that metalsmithing class!

& @Bluegemz those two purple sapphires are gorgeous...they look like candy...soul candy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results