Show your Star sapphires and rubies

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Like this one very much...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze, what a little beauty! Love it. It’s perfect! Looking forward to seeing more pics of it. What a journey that must have been on the boat!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5274ABC9-CBF1-4616-8BD8-753D2A0A7958.jpeg I can’t help but feel that stars are somehow alive. Each one has such a unique personality, and each one has different moods depending on the light. This gem is very subtle and varied, in a way which keeps the fascination growing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ugly star, even in the rough, cracked and brownish tones. In fact, I’ve been wanting a huge, rough one to keep in my office, on my desk. All star sapphires and rubies seem to have a magestic, spiritual quality about them. Getting back to this picture I posted, (which is one of the most inspiring pictures I’ve seen for the love of stars), I can see the passion for stars eventually leading to an amazing collection over a lifetime.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
746D6EB1-7A05-4FBA-AEA2-5582030961AD.jpeg 92AFDB66-6093-44D4-88BD-C753429D3C51.jpeg So today, I’m wearing my smaller star ring, which my daughter named ‘Sky star’ .

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky Star - perfect name!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky Star - perfect name!
Thank you, Minous! I’ll tell her that you think it’s a perfect name. She’s the one daughter of mine who loves loves loves stars, maybe even more than I do.she ‘gets’ the spirit of them.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
90BC6D18-A266-4F23-8219-144D9E6B2C05.jpeg 0F679467-6142-453F-9E19-91D053523B09.jpeg 5B9AAAFF-EA00-49E2-9D16-4A7031B8E0E3.jpeg 95CD281D-B38A-47EB-8989-C132A8617EE6.jpeg Some beautiful purple and magenta stars! How gorgeous are these?!? I’d love to have a star in a lavender, magenta or purple color...sigh. The first one has a pink star. That’s another interesting thing, there are different colors to the stars themselves.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4F69CED5-3C5B-4E96-B13C-9310BAE071AD.jpeg 8DC83717-2403-4D5F-98E5-C1B99105DA64.jpeg A7161DB3-B4F8-47EF-B8BB-EAA3F3CAD879.jpeg 71D0FCA5-92C4-4DC4-9C73-A07AC362CBBF.jpeg Just browsing... some beautiful smaller stars on Etsy. I love the denim blue of the loose blue star. It’s got a fabulous star as well. 3.5 carats.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in love. Pearls and star sapphires together!
Untitled.png
I’ve seen that one before! its very unusual and such a pretty combination. Are you contemplating adding another star ring to your collection at some point? I’m curious because I wonder if I’m alone in wanting more of them lol.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I want a GIANT blue star sapphire. One that would put Jean Harlow's to shame. Alas, I do not have 100K to spend. This is (only) 101.55 cts. Realistically, I could never wear once this big due to hand issues but I really want one larger than mine for my right hand.
ring.jpg

I am also looking for a star ruby to put in the ring I bought my Mom. I thought it was real because the back was distressed, but turns out it is a good fake. The diamonds are real, just not the ruby. I want to replace it but that is proving to be difficult.
il_570xN.863037344_ce9n.jpg
I basically want a center stone just like this, but real :lol:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a GIANT blue star sapphire. One that would put Jean Harlow's to shame. Alas, I do not have 100K to spend. This is (only) 101.55 cts. Realistically, I could never wear once this big due to hand issues but I really want one larger than mine for my right hand.
ring.jpg

I am also looking for a star ruby to put in the ring I bought my Mom. I thought it was real because the back was distressed, but turns out it is a good fake. The diamonds are real, just not the ruby. I want to replace it but that is proving to be difficult.
il_570xN.863037344_ce9n.jpg
I basically want a center stone just like this, but real :lol:
Well then I’m definitely not alone in the passion for stars! That huge one is a knuckle buster for sure. I wonder why the height is so thick. They could maybe make 2 star cabs out of it!

It will be a challenge to find that pink one in a natural that isn’t $$$$$, but NOT impossible.

alupha

Rough_Rock
Here are my tiny stars (biggest ruby is about 7mm widest diameter):
DSC_0021.JPG
The one in the bottom needs a stronger light to show up - however does show a 12-point star if the lighting is strong enough and just right.

Here are our wedding rings:
DSC_0019.JPG
The stars do look sharper and crisper in person. As long as there is light you can see stars in them. Hubby's bday is in Sept so originally it was star sapphire for his and a garnet for mine; but jeweller has that lovely tiny stone so I changed my mine for mine to match his.

@Bluegemz your jelly is still my fav though. I think, like Vesper, I would like to get a much bigger stone as well; especially the fact that I can pull off wearing giant stones makes me want them more LOL

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DSC_0021.JPG
The one in the bottom needs a stronger light to show up - however does show a 12-point star if the lighting is strong enough and just right.

DSC_0019.JPG
The stars do look sharper and crisper in person. As long as there is light you can see stars in them. Hubby's bday is in Sept so originally it was star sapphire for his and a garnet for mine; but jeweller has that lovely tiny stone so I changed my mine for mine to match his.

@Bluegemz your jelly is still my fav though. I think, like Vesper, I would like to get a much bigger stone as well; especially the fact that I can pull off wearing giant stones makes me want them more LOL
Those stars are beautiful! They all are gorgeous! I am so impressed by your wedding rings. They are magic and unusual. It’s great that you each share one.

I have an anniversary coming in Spring and my husband would like a black star for a ring. Thank you for the compliments on Moonlight Jelly! I’m so glad I decided to buy this star. I enjoy the presence of the it almost daily. This one gets more attention than the other. Originally, I almost didn’t because I got Sky Star first, ( the smaller, light blue one).
Now I’m patiently waiting for the clear one coming, which is tiny. I’m curious to feel how that one is to wear.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What does a clear star sapphire look like?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1E235428-D68A-4403-A366-1BFABD31281B.jpeg This is the one which I bought. It looks pretty colorless, though not truly ‘clear’ because of the sapphire inclusions within it. This is the one that I’m going to combine with a jadeite cab in a bypass style ring because the stone is quite small. Because I found this one, there must be some which are completely colorless and without inclusions. They are the star equivalent to the colorless faceted sapphires we see.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

Actually, I forgot to mention that it’s fabulous that you have a star with 12 points! It also looks slightly green, which is very special. Do you have any plans for these?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FBEDBECF-A0D4-4B94-9E27-95CDABA4D345.jpeg BC390F63-A312-4C1C-8067-80A0E030A790.jpeg @Vesper, I found an example of a clear and colorless star sapphire with a white star, but the pics are not very clear.

alupha

Rough_Rock
Actually, I forgot to mention that it’s fabulous that you have a star with 12 points! It also looks slightly green, which is very special. Do you have any plans for these?

@Bluegemz, now that you've asked...actually I don't know. I have no idea what to do with them as of yet :oops2:. However, I did find an old picture that would probably be clearer about the 12-point star.
12.jpg
Resolution is not very high, but you can just about make out the full 12 points in the bottom right pic. The middle shows a little as well, on the right side of the stone. So those points are quite subjective to lighting conditions. These pics were taken under a desk lamp when I first got it a few years back. It was sold as black sapphire, but yes, it does show hints of green.

Now I have to go think about what to do with them :lol-2:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz, now that you've asked...actually I don't know. I have no idea what to do with them as of yet :oops2:. However, I did find an old picture that would probably be clearer about the 12-point star.
12.jpg
Resolution is not very high, but you can just about make out the full 12 points in the bottom right pic. The middle shows a little as well, on the right side of the stone. So those points are quite subjective to lighting conditions. These pics were taken under a desk lamp when I first got it a few years back. It was sold as black sapphire, but yes, it does show hints of green.

Now I have to go think about what to do with them :lol-2:
It’s lovely! I know that it’s hard to come up with settings. They also look great together under. I’d stare at them daily if they were on my desk or dresser!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CD5670A7-3CEB-455E-93AE-C4CF23A581B1.jpeg BF33EAD4-15B8-4E90-AF61-87E2A136488F.jpeg One more today....I love this leaf setting with scalloped bezel, and the lovely lavender star sapphire. So pretty and fresh. I imagine this for a young woman or during Spring!

alupha

Rough_Rock
It’s lovely! I know that it’s hard to come up with settings. They also look great together under. I’d stare at them daily if they were on my desk or dresser!

That's precisely what I do everyday... :lol-2:

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you have bought a new ring do you send it off to the GIA or do you just keep it and wear it?
It truly depends on what it is, how much I spent, and how insecure I might feel about the item. Many things have come with a report already. As an example of weighing the level of security about a purchase, with my big star, I didn’t send it to the GIA because it is clear that it is a natural star with inclusions and age that conspires to being an unheated, natural star. I felt 100% confident about it. I always check things out with my own set up at home, which includes a good gem microscope. Then, I often have a GIA gemologist friend check things out for a second opinion.

With gem that are especially difficult to check, If I’ve spent enough, i’ll sometimes send them in just to be sure and for insurance purposes.

I would say one should send it if it makes one feel safer about a purchase because peace of mind is worth a lot. With antique pieces, there’s a lot better a chance that the stones are natural, especially with stars. Diffusion is pretty modern, so you wouldn’t have to worry about that with an older piece. Then there’s heating. I’m not sure when people started throwing stars into gentle heat. BTW, congratulations! I thought of you the second I first saw it.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F96A7E0C-3CC8-4367-B4E7-3DCD794E674A.jpeg DFAA0C84-CE0D-41CF-A503-BBB3EC968D7A.jpeg A5EABE71-72AA-4B02-81B9-031909E00231.jpeg Still browsing....came across these wonderful stars. The one on the man’s ring setting is just so mysterious. The translucent lavender one one the finger is a vintage Tiffany ring, and the other is just such a pretty lavender color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results