shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your Mahenge Spinels

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would add mine to this thread.

3.76ct pear, 11.7 x 7.9 x 6.4 pinkish red Mahenge Spinel from Eric Saul, SwalaGemTraders.

It is going to be set in all platinum pave halo with 18kt YG prongs by Victor Canera

Spinel[1].jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've been a bad girl, but I do so love me some pink. I have this on the way from AJ's. If it works out, I may put it in a pendant. The setting is going to have to wait a looooonng time though as DH has finally put the breaks on my blingy spending. D'oh.

spinel-mahenge-tanzania-gemstone-spi-00355-l.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1313519401|2991998 said:
I've been a bad girl, but I do so love me some pink. I have this on the way from AJ's. If it works out, I may put it in a pendant. The setting is going to have to wait a looooonng time though as DH has finally put the breaks on my blingy spending. D'oh.

Tell us about it please!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry 'bout that - der. :D http://www.ajsgem.com/certificate/SPI9202RK

It's clearly included, but it's such a neony color and it's pretty similar to what I have so I thought it would make a good match. We'll see - tomorrow at 10:30 a.m.! I'm thinking that the color won't be consistant throughout though. That will probably bug me even more than the inclusions. We shall see. AJ's has been awesome though.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a little glowy, 1.14 native cut oval.
003_4.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One from Gary Braun - 1.1 ct

2011_08_16 030.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one from AJs - 2.36 ct

2011_08_16 037.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shoot!! NKOTB, that one's gorgeous!!!! AJ's needs to pick up the game with their photos! Or then again, maybe not - then we won't get these amazing deals for "included" stones.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NKOTB|1313608279|2992745 said:
One from Gary Braun - 1.1 ct
Can I have this one? ;-)

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got really lucky on that one. Gary wasn't happy with his cutting on it for some reason, so he gave me a fantastic deal. It's a very bright stone, and clean. I can see the inclusions in the AJs one, but most others wouldn't notice, and every other aspect of it makes up for that one.

I have a question: there has been mention of "old stock" Mahenges. Can anyone please tell me more about this? (e.g. colour differences, timing of "old" vs. "new", etc.)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Know what? I am a do-do head. That is the same one I saw before. Silly me.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now I'm the proud owner of 2 Mahenges.

My 1.49 from AJSGems

IMG_7537.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

IMG_7533.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is around 4.5 ct. from Tan. I am not certain because I gave the certificate when I was parting with its pair.

large spinel.JPG

marquise.JPG

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Mahenge stud in ear.

IMG_5479.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this is a very successful buy - one of Tan's latest Mahenges at old price. I think it is 2.2 ct or so - I have to organize my paperwork and the stone was bought a while ago. It said, SI, but it is pretty clean, I am unafraid of bezeling it, if nothing better comes to mind. It is pretty glowy. The only minus is a tiny window but with a color like this, and an old price, I am going to put up with it!

spinel11.jpg

spinel12.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasu, that is an AMAZING colour!!!! :love: :love:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, NKOTB! And an amazing price!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
crasru all your stones are beautiful. What is the story with the big marquise though? There were 2 of them?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The story is long. A friend of mine, a colleague, was looking for a stone to celebrate his 10th wedding anniversary. He asked me to source out an unusual stone. He liked my Tanzanite, but it had to be a ring, and she is hard in her hands. So I got a couple of stones, but he felt they were too small (I decided to leave them for myself), and then I bought a pair of these spinelss, Tan was selling them as a pair only, and he asked to sell him one. I did not mind because stones of such size are heavy for earrings. Actually, I think they are about 4.5 ct.each, otherwise he would not have bought them
In fatct the story is much olonger, but bottom line is, he works hard, does well for himself, loves his wife and loves to spend money on her.
If I were starting it all anew, I would save all these money and buy only one spinel, in a ring by Marc Sarosi. I think it is still on his website. It was made by his father.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1313941114|2995685 said:
The story is long. A friend of mine, a colleague, was looking for a stone to celebrate his 10th wedding anniversary. He asked me to source out an unusual stone. He liked my Tanzanite, but it had to be a ring, and she is hard in her hands. So I got a couple of stones, but he felt they were too small (I decided to leave them for myself), and then I bought a pair of these spinelss, Tan was selling them as a pair only, and he asked to sell him one. I did not mind because stones of such size are heavy for earrings. Actually, I think they are about 4.5 ct.each, otherwise he would not have bought them
In fatct the story is much olonger, but bottom line is, he works hard, does well for himself, loves his wife and loves to spend money on her.
If I were starting it all anew, I would save all these money and buy only one spinel, in a ring by Marc Sarosi. I think it is still on his website. It was made by his father.

Well, you could always list some of your stones (*cough* recentTanspinelwithamazingcolour *cough*) for sale somewhere and save up for such a project. :naughty:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the way you think, NKOTB

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Mahenge studs.

Pear

IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
herekittykitty|1313957187|2995851 said:
Mahenge studs.
That's are fabulous!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1. Herekittykitty, are these the new ones? The ones that were recently posted in Eric's website? The gorgeous pair, slightly included, but beautiful color? I always wondered who snatched them.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1313948151|2995773 said:
crasru|1313941114|2995685 said:

Well, you could always list some of your stones (*cough* recentTanspinelwithamazingcolour *cough*) for sale somewhere and save up for such a project. :naughty:

I am going to sell some of smaller stones from my earlier Mahendarium. At the prices of real Mahenges these days, it could be a good buy for someone.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HKK, those earrings are to die for! Are those the stones from Lisa? Lovely lovely, lovely.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
NKOTB|1314126776|2997604 said:
HKK, those earrings are to die for! Are those the stones from Lisa? Lovely lovely, lovely.
Yes, from Lisa in her 4th of July sale. I love them & Lisa is one of the most pleasant vendors I have dealt with.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Fabulous - that pear is gorgeous!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

Attachments

• IMG_5691.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 403