color
clarity

Show us your Chrysoberyls

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg is that new @suzanne2 ???

It's gorgeous!!!!! I need details!!!!!!

Hehe, thanks! You know how some stones just don't look good on you? This is one. I put it on and take it off. Put it on and take it off. Again and again. I think I've worn it twice in the 6 years since I bought it. :cry: I'm pale and this baby needs some contrast.
I've forgotten the details except that it came from Jeff Davies and I had him set it before he shipped.
I have it out because it's heading out the door as a gift to a super nice lady.
Also, your new pads are stunning!!! (Can I have one?):lol-2::lol-2:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hehe, thanks! You know how some stones just don't look good on you? This is one. I put it on and take it off. Put it on and take it off. Again and again. I think I've worn it twice in the 6 years since I bought it. :cry: I'm pale and this baby needs some contrast.
I've forgotten the details except that it came from Jeff Davies and I had him set it before he shipped.
I have it out because it's heading out the door as a gift to a super nice lady.
Also, your new pads are stunning!!! (Can I have one?):lol-2::lol-2:

That stone is gorgeous!
Maybe re-set it with a halo or white side-stones?
I have 4 chrysoberyls and will set them all alongside white stones.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Here's another one, which I bought about a year ago. The camera is unable to capture the true colour of this specimen in daylight, which is a beautiful deep emerald green:

Russian alexandrite specimen.JPG

This specimen weighs 42 grams and measures 39 mm by 30 mm by 25 mm approximately.

There's a bit of a story attached to this one. It was being sold by a dealer in the US as an old epidote specimen from Långban in Sweden. Well, I thought it looked very odd for an epidote specimen, and so, out of curiosity (and a hunch) I bought it. When it arrived it was clear that it was no epidote. It was an alexandrite with some mica schist matrix. After some digging around a member on the Mindat forum suggested that it may have been acquired in Russia by Långban mineralogist Gustav Flink in the late 19th/early 20th century, sent to the US along with other Långban specimens and over the years had a mix-up with the labels. So I emailed the Natural History Museum in Stockholm as they have specimens from Flink in their collection. I got a reply back saying that this was probably the most likely explanation.

So, in short, it's a Russian alexandrite specimen that likely dates back to the time of the Russian Tsars. A very nice find!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's another one, which I bought about a year ago. The camera is unable to capture the true colour of this specimen in daylight, which is a beautiful deep emerald green:

Russian alexandrite specimen.JPG

This specimen weighs 42 grams and measures 39 mm by 30 mm by 25 mm approximately.

There's a bit of a story attached to this one. It was being sold by a dealer in the US as an old epidote specimen from Långban in Sweden. Well, I thought it looked very odd for an epidote specimen, and so, out of curiosity (and a hunch) I bought it. When it arrived it was clear that it was no epidote. It was an alexandrite with some mica schist matrix. After some digging around a member on the Mindat forum suggested that it may have been acquired in Russia by Långban mineralogist Gustav Flink in the late 19th/early 20th century, sent to the US along with other Långban specimens and over the years had a mix-up with the labels. So I emailed the Natural History Museum in Stockholm as they have specimens from Flink in their collection. I got a reply back saying that this was probably the most likely explanation.

So, in short, it's a Russian alexandrite specimen that likely dates back to the time of the Russian Tsars. A very nice find!
Such cool history!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A7B609FF-469E-40C1-AFD7-AE3BD868A671.jpeg A59F768F-7D43-4854-9DC1-963ACA02BCFE.jpeg 207A80D8-9E91-4B40-B367-40825B9AE928.jpeg 8AF09845-A75B-4BFE-841F-2F93CE3D29A9.jpeg 7A5B7BE7-BCF8-460B-A0B7-B5B49658AAB5.jpeg A5A86FCA-99F6-4917-8F8A-3CECB9E3C847.jpeg

Oh I didn’t know this was a thread!! I only have two. The round is cut by Barry Bridgestock & set by Patrick Irla.

The pear is from Mastercut Gems. I have mixed feelings about it. It the first gem I purchased that was “kind of sleepy” & my first pear. I want to love it but I’m kind of meh. Occasionally it does light up & sparkle nicely.

I’d love to find a seriously neon green chryso someday. I love the color chartreuse as well!

I love that little bee on the ring. What a pretty and happy ring! :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6D53EC86-61AD-4EDB-B77A-F17205AD5717.jpeg
This is a neon highlighter yellow chrysoberyl is a gorgeous round brilliant diamond cut. The camera just can’t focus because the sparkle and brilliance is amazing, even in low lighting. That’s a testament to the luster of these gems.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
00FBF798-4CD5-4D53-9A3B-5774282534F3.jpeg
Greyish violet spinel with chrysoberyl sides. I don’t really like the combo, but both gems have great luster, sparkle.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-23 um 19.15.56.png Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-23 um 19.19.39.png
Vanadium chrysos in decent size and color. They glow amazing in the diffuse light in late afternoon on sunny day!!

So difficult to find this bluishgreen today - yummy!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can join the chrysoberyl club now with this recent purchase of a 2.77 carat, radiant cut Tanzanian chrysoberyl... old material and very saturated. Turns highlighter yellow With a green modifier in some light, but I’m not the best photographer. I bought this for my middle daughter, who is unconventional in taste, and Is a pretty wild Child (god help us!) I imagined setting it as a pendant with an Art Deco look with baguette diamonds coming down like a fan, in platinum. But she’ll have to design it. She really loves it and it fits her personality so well.
942CA70F-574E-48B4-81B7-AB4E969BFA16.png 9DAAC7AF-1AF8-4D6E-8CB2-8235BA1E2E1F.png

voce

Ideal_Rock
That setting is a dream!!! How did you request it? Is it a bead setting, milgrain bezel, a combination...?

It's model 134, on page 14 of the Cecile Raley Designs custom ring catalog. I bought the gems from her Etsy shop, so looked through the PDF for ideas on how to set the gems. It's a combination, a bead setting with the look of a bezel with milgrain. I thought that it was genius, too.

Lexililac

Shiny_Rock
They are wonderful....

Thanks! Finally I cut the pink sapphire for a mismatched pair with the V-chryso. Wasnt very sure about how it will turne out exactely in case of color, saturation ect. But Im very happy with the result and it was defenitely worth to loose bit weight and size to get that lovely mismatched pair.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pink or purplish pink is very attractive in combination with blue to bluishgreen.

The sapphire and the top left Chryso...

Reactions: AV_

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
You can have your very own light saber with chrysoberyl! 2621E25A-3476-4E09-BF06-FD5D1C815E90.jpeg

I saw a big and bright yellow-green stone in my dream last night. Now I know for sure that it was yours. Just splendid!

Reactions: T L

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here are five of my chrysoberyls, set in a mid-Victorian brooch with four garnets. The central chrysoberyl is about 3/4 of a carat; the other four are about a quarter carat apiece. The brooch came attached to a smaller, similar brooch with garnets and white sapphires. I think it's a marriage rather than an original pairing, but if so, it's a happy one. I bought the pair online for the melt value of the gold; it arrived yesterday. IMG_9703.jpeg
IMG_9712.jpeg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1.jpg

Top two small ones are Brazilian, supposedly 1ct combined, bottom one is almost 2ct, Sri Lankan.
Not sure if I will set them as arranged above or the big one deserves to shine on its own.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results