shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Yvonne Raley and Cecile Raley Designs!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doing a major happy dance here with my latest from Yvonne :appl:I've never been so unsure about a project only to be blown away in person. I sort of hesitate in posting this one as pictures don't do the ring justice.

Yvonne had two 3 stone sets of neon Burmese spinels. As I immediately grabbed one set, she decided to keep the other. Not sure what I wanted to do with them, we agreed that she would design something for both of us and coined it the "sister ring project".

Shortly thereafter, Yvonne received a couple of parcels of equally neon melee and decided to figure out how to use them in our project. Then the design took make many months as she struggled to get her vision realized. Admittedly, showing me the cads as she went, I wasn't sure but admittedly had no suggestions so trusting her design sense just said to go for it.

image002.png

She went ahead with her ring first so I could adjust to my liking after. For those who follow her on FB/Insta, you may have seen it:

My first reaction was to substitute the melee, as they looked soft in tone, but I wasn't sure with what would look better - so decided to keep it as is because I trust what she sees in person especially when it comes to color. (And yes, they are neon IRL as I would later learn) I also decided to do the ring in 18K YG (my preference over her choice of platform). The design was still more boxy than her traditional aesthetic that I've come to expect but she loved her ring so I trusted that i would love mine.

Knowing that I like my finger coverage, we agreed to adjust the cad slightly to use larger melee for my version.

When my ring was finished, she sent me pictures but questioned whether I would like it as it wasn't as "dainty" as hers. I admitted that my reaction was not one of love. I felt the setting in rich 18k YG distracted the stone with a "boxy gold tray" look. And was concerned that combined with the melee took away from the amazing center stones which to me were the whole point of the project. But I wanted to see it in person before tweaking.

thumbnail_DSC_0283.jpg thumbnail_DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0284.JPG

As I received the ring and put it on, I was immediately in love...it was PERFECT and I quickly told Yvonne that I do not need to change a thing. She agreed, with relief, it looked great on my (larger) hand. It is pure sparkly neon finger coverage.

On hand, the gold is not as prominent and the melee actually match the center stones perfectly with the gold providing just enough separation so the center stones stand out. I have my share of neon pinks but this ring just blows them away in terms of grabbing attention...regardless of lighting.

Pictures don't capture the neon/sparkle (which can blur photos). Seeing it in person, I see now why Yvonne is so happy with her ring as I am mine.

But here we go:

20211212_104741.jpg 20211212_104707.jpg 20211212_105630.jpg

Indoor pics do not do this ring justice at all -and just highlights my original concerns with the ring. But IRL, outdoors and indoors- it still glows and sparkles (honestly!)

20211212_105809.jpg

Last edited:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@lilmosun WOW! I it is just perfect on you! Love the color, the design and the coverage.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Doing a major happy dance here with my latest from Yvonne :appl:I've never been so unsure about a project only to be blown away in person. I sort of hesitate in posting this one as pictures don't do the ring justice.

Yvonne had two 3 stone sets of neon Burmese spinels. As I immediately grabbed one set, she decided to keep the other. Not sure what I wanted to do with them, we agreed that she would design something for both of us and coined it the "sister ring project".

Shortly thereafter, Yvonne received a couple of parcels of equally neon melee and decided to figure out how to use them in our project. Then the design took make many months as she struggled to get her vision realized. Admittedly, showing me the cads as she went, I wasn't sure but admittedly had no suggestions so trusting her design sense just said to go for it.

image002.png

She went ahead with her ring first so I could adjust to my liking after. For those who follow her on FB/Insta, you may have seen it:

My first reaction was to substitute the melee, as they looked soft in tone, but I wasn't sure with what would look better - so decided to keep it as is because I trust what she sees in person especially when it comes to color. (And yes, they are neon IRL as I would later learn) I also decided to do the ring in 18K YG (my preference over her choice of platform). The design was still more boxy than her traditional aesthetic that I've come to expect but she loved her ring so I trusted that i would love mine.

Knowing that I like my finger coverage, we agreed to adjust the cad slightly to use larger melee for my version.

When my ring was finished, she sent me pictures but questioned whether I would like it as it wasn't as "dainty" as hers. I admitted that my reaction was not one of love. I felt the setting in rich 18k YG distracted the stone with a "boxy gold tray" look. And was concerned that combined with the melee took away from the amazing center stones which to me were the whole point of the project. But I wanted to see it in person before tweaking.

DSC_0284.JPG

As I received the ring and put it on, I was immediately in love...it was PERFECT and I quickly told Yvonne that I do not need to change a thing. She agreed, with relief, it looked great on my (larger) hand. It is pure sparkly neon finger coverage.

On hand, the gold is not as prominent and the melee actually match the center stones perfectly with the gold providing just enough separation so the center stones stand out. I have my share of neon pinks but this ring just blows them away in terms of grabbing attention...regardless of lighting.

Pictures don't capture the neon/sparkle (which can blur photos). Seeing it in person, I see now why Yvonne is so happy with her ring as I am mine.

But here we go:

Indoor pics do not do this ring justice at all -and just highlights my original concerns with the ring. But IRL, outdoors and indoors- it still glows and sparkles (honestly!)

20211212_105809.jpg

Magnificent ring, @lilmosun ! Yvonne's spinels are amazing, of course, and the design suits your hand really well :)

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful project! And what a perfect choice of nail color to match!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful project! And what a perfect choice of nail color to match!

Laughing...I was wearing the ring when I got my nails done this weekend so I guess my manicurist took inspiration!! (I never pick my own colors).

Thank you @JackTrick , @CHRISTY-DANIELLE @leslie1956 for your kind comments and all who shared in my happiness with this project!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@lilmosun what a beautiful ring! I really really love how vivid those spinels are.

On a different note, I also wanted to share a ring Yvonne finished for me. It's for my mom and matches the dress she's wearing at my wedding. Yvonne had it rushed and I love the result.

IMG20211212225816.jpg IMG20211212225842.jpg IMG20211212225915.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Other rings CRD finished for me lately. Haven't received them yet, but they're a hexagon ring with tsav sides and a paraiba cab solitaire in the Gatsby style.
20211207_210952.jpg 20211207_210834.jpg 20211207_210935.jpg

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
@lilmosun what a beautiful ring! I really really love how vivid those spinels are.

On a different note, I also wanted to share a ring Yvonne finished for me. It's for my mom and matches the dress she's wearing at my wedding. Yvonne had it rushed and I love the result.

IMG20211212225816.jpg IMG20211212225842.jpg IMG20211212225915.jpg

Love it! What are the stones? Did you do a custom CAD for this one? I haven't seen this design in her shop yet, it's really pretty!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

image002.png

DSC_0284.JPG

But here we go:

20211212_105809.jpg

Wow, those spinels are freaking vivid! I love that bright, neon pink and it pairs so well with the yellow gold. Your ring turned out perfectly. I think a lot of us know that feeling of uncertainty when we’re working on a project but I’m so glad to see it’s everything you hoped for, once it was finally on your hand. It looks perfect on you! :love:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Love it! What are the stones? Did you do a custom CAD for this one? I haven't seen this design in her shop yet, it's really pretty!

The trillion is Brazilian paraiba tourmaline, the pink one is an unheated Vietnamese sapphire, and the green side stones are Tanzanian tsavorite garnets.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your mom's ring for the wedding is superb!

Glad that you chose the Gatsby design for the paraiba trillion stone. I wish that more people chose that design because it's so flattering to the trillion stone shape. Perhaps my favorite ring from Yvonne is a Gatsby ring with a glowy, lighter colored Tsavorite with paraiba and hauyne melee set in platinum.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I feel lucky to have two Cecilia rings from Cecile Raley Designs. One is emerald center, hauynes, paribas, and emeralds, and the other is paraiba cab center, lavender sapphires, pink spinels, demantoid garnets, paraiba trillions. 851897 869535 869534 869533
The layout and the rings. Excuse my dry hands, it's what hand sanitizer does to them in between lotioning.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I feel lucky to have two Cecilia rings from Cecile Raley Designs. One is emerald center, hauynes, paribas, and emeralds, and the other is paraiba cab center, lavender sapphires, pink spinels, demantoid garnets, paraiba trillions. PXL_20210902_235541708.jpg PXL_20220110_192638007.jpg PXL_20220110_192633073.jpg PXL_20220110_192649673.jpg
The layout and the rings. Excuse my dry hands, it's what hand sanitizer does to them in between lotioning.

aaaaaaaaa, so those two were yours!!! What a fantastic choice. I love the new design :)

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
I feel lucky to have two Cecilia rings from Cecile Raley Designs. One is emerald center, hauynes, paribas, and emeralds, and the other is paraiba cab center, lavender sapphires, pink spinels, demantoid garnets, paraiba trillions. PXL_20210902_235541708.jpg PXL_20220110_192638007.jpg PXL_20220110_192633073.jpg PXL_20220110_192649673.jpg

The hauyne, emerald and paraiba look soooo good together! Very nice color combination.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

These are gorgeous! I especially love the colors on the green/ blue one. :kiss2:

This thread has been so much fun to browse... the COLORS! Congrats on all of your pretties. :love:

I haven't had our dear Yvonne make anything for me just yet, but I purchased these tourmalines from her last year. It will be my Miami Vice ring. :lol: The pink asscher is 8.5mm for an idea of scale. Any suggestions for mounting designs? I want to have her set them, because paraibas can be temperamental. eek

Resized_20210630_181722_9855828495499555.jpg

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
This thread has been so much fun to browse... the COLORS! Congrats on all of your pretties. :love:

I haven't had our dear Yvonne make anything for me just yet, but I purchased these tourmalines from her last year. It will be my Miami Vice ring. :lol: The pink asscher is 8.5mm for an idea of scale. Any suggestions for mounting designs? I want to have her set them, because paraibas can be temperamental. eek

Resized_20210630_181722_9855828495499555.jpg

Those stones and color combination are beautiful! I love the dreamy, pastel look. I have never seen paraiba in a baguette shape like that before! That is so unique. I guess you will be going the custom route on a setting and having Yvonne do a CAD? Did you choose a metal color yet for these?

Thanks so much, @GemmaBella! It's funny you should mention the tapered baguettes. Yvonne warned me, and I agreed, that I wasn't likely to see Brazilian paraibas in this cut again. It was a big selling point for me!

So, yes, definitely going with a white metal in a custom design. I originally wanted yellow or rose gold, but I think the pastel saturation of the stones may be too influenced by a warm metal. I really wanted to bezel them, but Yvonne worries that it may be dangerous to work with the pointed ends of the paraibas in such a fashion. What do you think? You're clearly a pro in this regard. lol I was also wondering if we could include some diamonds, or if I should just leave it with the clean, CS look.

I must tell you... that last blue zircon ring with the hauyne (love, love love) and paraibas is off the hook. :love: Setting them in high karatage rose gold is unexpected and such a rich result. It wouldn't be the same in white or yellow.

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
My current bitty CRD collection. I have a pair of pink sapphire earrings on the way.
Silver spinel earrings/bracelet
Demantoid earrings (they glow!)
Benitoite studs (very tiny, about 3mm)
Grey spinel studs
Please excuse the terrible photo.
801865F4-0B25-4829-B59C-A874CBC514AA.jpeg

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, @GemmaBella! It's funny you should mention the tapered baguettes. Yvonne warned me, and I agreed, that I wasn't likely to see Brazilian paraibas in this cut again. It was a big selling point for me!

So, yes, definitely going with a white metal in a custom design. I originally wanted yellow or rose gold, but I think the pastel saturation of the stones may be too influenced by a warm metal. I really wanted to bezel them, but Yvonne worries that it may be dangerous to work with the pointed ends of the paraibas in such a fashion. What do you think? You're clearly a pro in this regard. lol I was also wondering if we could include some diamonds, or if I should just leave it with the clean, CS look.

I must tell you... that last blue zircon ring with the hauyne (love, love love) and paraibas is off the hook. :love: Setting them in high karatage rose gold is unexpected and such a rich result. It wouldn't be the same in white or yellow.

Thank you, first off! I have to say the paraiba, hauyne and zircon really POP even more IRL than my pic depicts. So I highly recommend 18k rose for paraiba. But when pink is involved, like with your lovely asscher, I think you are wise to go with white metal. I think pink in white is very pretty as long as the stone isn't too pale of a pink (for a pale pink stone, like some shades of morganite, I think rose gold brings out the pink in a complimentary way). Your stone seems to be able to hold its own though. As for diamonds, YES! I never say no to diamonds in addition to colored stones set in white metal! My mom recently purchased a paraiba with a diamond halo from Yvonne and it is stunning (will attach pic). Yvonne's diamonds are top notch quality. Also, I will show another ring of my mom's that I steal quite often (Yvonne's "Zelda") which is hot pink " jedi" spinel and paraiba in white metal. Hopefully that can give you an idea of paraiba in white w/ pink.
il_794xN.2670953352_n5kj.jpg

iap_640x640.3267156784_13pfs1x6.jpg

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
Here is my mom's CRD paraiba diamond halo, 14k white gold. I will have to steal it for some handshots, as the stone is so much more saturated (to our delight!) than the studio photo reflects.
il_794xN.3540033476_a921.jpg

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
My current bitty CRD collection. I have a pair of pink sapphire earrings on the way.
Silver spinel earrings/bracelet
Demantoid earrings (they glow!)
Benitoite studs (very tiny, about 3mm)
Grey spinel studs
Please excuse the terrible photo.
801865F4-0B25-4829-B59C-A874CBC514AA.jpeg

Nice collection! I have benitoite studs on my wishlist! -One of my favorite colored stones! The demantoid garnet are beautiful too. I have a pair of loose 4mm ones and I always go back and forth as whether to make studs or use them as sidestones on a three stone ring so I can see them more!

Oh these are gorgeous, @GemmaBella! Thank you for sharing, and for your suggestions!! I especially love that paraiba and spinel piece. Wowzers... such color. :love:

I totally agree with your assessment of metal choices for both the paraiba and pink gems. Back in the day, I only set blue gems in white metals. Yvonne is really the one who opened my eyes to how a warm metal can set off a cool colored gem, especially a glowy one like paraiba. And, as you said, for pastel pink/peach gems like morganite or padparadscha, I love rose gold. For the latter, I especially like a rose gold head with a white gold shank/band.

I spoke with Yvonne yesterday (have you seen that 4.58ct. Colombian emerald she has listed from her recent buying trip?!), and happened to mention all of the love she receives here on PS. She's the best... do you know what she said? That she appreciated it, but tends to avoid reading anything, because she feels as though it's a private discussion amongst collectors. :)

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
Oh these are gorgeous, @GemmaBella! Thank you for sharing, and for your suggestions!! I especially love that paraiba and spinel piece. Wowzers... such color. :love:

I totally agree with your assessment of metal choices for both the paraiba and pink gems. Back in the day, I only set blue gems in white metals. Yvonne is really the one who opened my eyes to how a warm metal can set off a cool colored gem, especially a glowy one like paraiba. And, as you said, for pastel pink/peach gems like morganite or padparadscha, I love rose gold. For the latter, I especially like a rose gold head with a white gold shank/band.

I spoke with Yvonne yesterday (have you seen that 4.58ct. Colombian emerald she has listed from her recent buying trip?!), and happened to mention all of the love she receives here on PS. She's the best... do you know what she said? That she appreciated it, but tends to avoid reading anything, because she feels as though it's a private discussion amongst collectors. :)

Yes, the long emerald baguette is quite intriguing! I don't know how I would set that shape, although it is beguiling!
I feel if I was a vendor, my curiosity would get the best of me here! But that's just me:lol:
But for your ring...do you think double claw prongs would look nice on that asscher? I always loved that pointy double prong look on cushions and asschers. If you added diamonds, where do you think they could fit in, space wise? I love the idea of squeezing diamonds in somehow to add some sparkle against the colored stones. OR... In a non diamonds senario, even if it is more of a "Harry Winston baguettes flanking the center" in a traditional style it will still be unique since they are paraiba baguettes. No one else will have those surely! Maybe someone else has a great idea to share!

Oh absolutely... I'd be shamelessly spying for sure if I were a vendor! :wavey:

I feel like we are totally on the same page with this ring design. lol I must thank you for taking the time to help me decide, @GemmaBella. Your suggestions and photo examples are greatly appreciated. Plus... eye candy.

I love double claw prongs with clipped corner stones! Here's what I was thinking... either just the asscher and tapered bags with diamonds on the band only or a halo around the entire thing. :think:

20220127_000319.png

1395340024-hal-tst-5054-as-aw.jpg

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
Oh absolutely... I'd be shamelessly spying for sure if I were a vendor! :wavey:

I feel like we are totally on the same page with this ring design. lol I must thank you for taking the time to help me decide, @GemmaBella. Your suggestions and photo examples are greatly appreciated. Plus... eye candy.

I love double claw prongs with clipped corner stones! Here's what I was thinking... either just the asscher and tapered bags with diamonds on the band only or a halo around the entire thing. :think:

20220127_000319.png

1395340024-hal-tst-5054-as-aw.jpg

Yaaas! This was in my head too! I was thinking, if there is room and it flows gracefully, then halo-ing the whole shabang would look great, as long as the diamonds are petite. Alternatively, if your baguettes are too large to have diamonds go around them in a demure way, I would say go a little bigger on the diamonds and have them set along the shank. A nice diamond shank in white gold is always a hit against colored stones and does the same job as a halo in providing sparkle, albeit in a linear way.

@GemmaBella

Yay! I feel like I'm (we're) really making progress with this design now!! Last question, promise. :saint: How do you feel about just haloing the perimeter, which would keep the bags closer to the center stone? Naturally, they're longer than the traps in the previous design, so I was thinking that fully haloing the center stone could push them too far outside. Many thanks, my friend!

setting_template_main.jpeg.jpg

That index finger ring is insanely gorge! Forget eye candy... that thing is like eye chocolate cake. I want to eat it, it's so beautiful. :P2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results